David Cameron backs bans on Muslim face veils as Tories plan crackdown on gender segregation

webfact

David Cameron backs bans on Muslim face veils as Tories plan crackdown on gender segregation
By Peter Dominiczak, and Steven Swinford

Prime Minister says it is 'proper and sensible' for Muslim women to remove face veils when asked to by public officials

LONDON: -- Muslim women can be banned from wearing veils in schools, courts and other British institutions, David Cameron has said.

The Prime Minister said that he will give his backing to public authorities that put in place “proper and sensible” rules to ban women from wearing face veils in comments which will reignite debates.

It comes as the Government prepare to announce a series of measures designed to stop British Muslims becoming radicalised and traveling to the Middle East to join terrorist groups like the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil).

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/12106833/David-Cameron-I-will-back-schools-and-courts-which-ban-face-veils.html

-- The Telegraph 2016-01-19

About time.

I am told that in the muslim faith, religion and the law are one and the same.

In Britain and many other countries the law is separate from religion.

Nobody is asking them to take their veils off in their own country just in their new one.

Muslim women wear their veil for religious reasons.Will he now bring into law that sikhs remove their turbans or for safety's sake make them wear crash helmets.Why is this allowed?Because of a sikhs religious reasons....Unfair and discriminatory.

Sorry John, It's cultural not religious, to a lot of Muslims in asia the burqa etc is an embarrassment! John, when was the last time you saw a mob of Sikhs wanting thier religious law for all of the western world!! smile.pngwai.gif

About time.

I am told that in the muslim faith, religion and the law are one and the same.

In Britain and many other countries the law is separate from religion.

Nobody is asking them to take their veils off in their own country just in their new one.

correct !

If they dont want to follow our rules and laws,

they should stay there from where they have this behavier !!

We dont need them here !!

Bit amused yesterday, I notice a Asian woman hurriedly walking along a foot path of the road I was driving along, long black dress but no head covering... I was approaching a pedestrian crossing as the lights were changing, she was going to cross but while waiting to cross she put on a head scarf, I do not know how important it is to a Muslim woman to ware head covering is but obviously it was not much to her.

What really got my attention she was being accompanied by a man on a bike, she was walking... women are still 2nd or 3rd class citizens in the Muslim world. sad.png

A for DC making this statement yesterday was was just a smokescreen to detract from anything he may say or has said about Trump.

It's a smokescreen for his chancellor's clownish handling of the economy and viscous attacks on public services, especially the NHS.

I would fight with every ounce of strength any law which required people to show their faces underthreat of violence or imprisonment when not it is not explicitly required, eg to confirm their identity in court or at an airport.

Edited by RogueLeader

Muslim women wear their veil for religious reasons.Will he now bring into law that sikhs remove their turbans or for safety's sake make them wear crash helmets.Why is this allowed?Because of a sikhs religious reasons....Unfair and discriminatory.

The thing is that wearing a veil covers the woman's face thus make it impossible to recognize her according to an ID. As it is now, ANyONE can wear a veil and use someone else's ID / driver license etc'

The thing is that wearing a veil covers the woman's face thus make it impossible to recognize her according to an ID. As it is now, ANyONE can wear a veil and use someone else's ID / driver license etc'

I don't think there's a problem in saying "If you cannot establish your identity, you can't have a driving licence or a passport. The choice is yours."

Forcing people to show their faces in public is symptomatic of a worrying trend in government.

Muslim women do not wear the veil for religious reasons, its nothing to do with being a Muslim. Its a personal choice, however its a highly enforceable requirement by Muslim men. One of the main reasons is to protect women from Muslim men who cannot control themselves sexually. E.g. Multiple examples currently in the EU.

Islam is a patriarchal religion. Women have to wear heard scarves, if they know whats good for them. These bullying misogynists consider all women as 3rd class citizens where its acceptable to beat and bully them. Unfair and discriminatory, I agree totally, Islam is exactly that.

Well all i can say is GOOD!
Its about time Cameron started to hit back on these pathetic Muslim extreme traditions that are threatening our society.

Just because we have been LIBERAL in our acceptance of ALL religions without discrimination in the past, does not mean that now ONE particular religion is taking the piss in a huge way, that would should continue this stupidity.

Lets say hypethetically speaking, i start a new religion that means we can be naked in public, rape and pillage when we want, and its all in the name of Illah. The UK would just accept that too?

He shouldn't just target Muslim women, a better approach would be to ban all head coverings in government buildings etc. Below makes better sense than what he is proposing imo.

He refused to endorse a French-style blanket ban.

window dessing he not do any thing about these people they are to powerfull now and hold to much voting power its a jester to keep the natives happy ban all mosques would be a better idea

Stupid article, there will be no ban.

It will be a request,one that if refused might result in refusal or ability for said official to help.

We arnt banning anything,that is just loony left rubbish.

YES the tide is turning and also in Europe, the Loonies more and more are being shown for what they are.

About time.

John, have you fallen out of your rocking chair ? The whole point of the discussion is "identity" !

I would have to agree. It's inappropriate to apply these rules only to Muslims. The implication is that only Muslims are the heart of darkness. It should apply to everyone regardless of race or belief.

I would have to agree. It's inappropriate to apply these rules only to Muslims. The implication is that only Muslims are the heart of darkness. It should apply to everyone regardless of race or belief.

You'd like to be threatened with imprisonment for wearing a hood or a bandana in public?

Veils are not part of their religion, it is choice, many Muslim women don't wear them.

You can readily identify a Sikh wearing a turban from Kenneth Williams in Carry on up the Khyber because the face is visible. A veil disguises identity, as various banks and jewelry stores could attest. Edited by Steely Dan