2015 was hottest year on record, say some scientists

webfact

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. As a skeptic, is this 2015 heat wave a fact supported by the 97% or is it supported by the 3%.

Or did they simply concrete around each and every temperature sensor to get the desired result?

As always scientific data and results from that data and the methodology of determining those results is always under intense scrutiny. NASA actually releases the raw data so that any person or institution can quickly download that data. I wouldn't try that at home though. The actual processing and methodology is peer reviewed and published. So it actually forms a scientific Paper or Article. I wouldn't try that at home either.

So in fact as no objection has been received or upheld on the peer reviewed published methodology used then it would be 100% supported by the scientific community.

(snip)

Only the priests can possibly interpret the scriptures. Please do not try it yourself, you can not know the mind of God, only the priests speak with Him and it is very mysterious and complex.

2015 was the hottest year on record say some scientist's,and some say it wasn't

I read the Op very carefully and I did not see where some said it wasn't

Perhaps I missed it

So if only some said it was ,what did the others say,do tell Edited by i claudius

GW/CC is based on scientific evidence nothing to do with politics at all.

Being charitable, that is a quaintly naive point of view. Being more critical, it would be more accurate to say that "Global warming is based on politics, nothing to do with science at all."

After all, it was the wretched Connie Hedegaard, European Commissioner for Climate Action, who said publicly in 2013: "Let's say that science, some decades from now, said 'we were wrong, it was not about climate', would it not in any case have been good to do many of things you have to do in order to combat climate change?."

Pure politics; zero science.

I actually agree that it would be good to reduce pollution, though it will not make an iota of difference to the temperature.

So lets start by telling all politicians and scientists that as of now, no more flying to conferences- all by video conferencing.

Tell all city dwellers no more private cars- everyone must use public transport, or a bicycle.

Tell all sports fans no more stadium games- only on tv.

Tell all meat lovers no more meat as animals fart methane.

Tell all smokers no more fags.

Tell all tourists to visit only places reachable by surface transport.

Only provide as much electricity as can be produced by non carbon fuelled means. Too bad about the smartphone and the giant screen tv

No more home fires.

Be a problem about the pesky volcanoes and forest fires though.

Perhaps I missed it

So if only some said it was ,what did the others say,do tell

You are the one who makes the claim the onus is on you to support it

So i guess all the airplanes, cars, cows and pigs were the reason why about 1500 years ago it was warmer in Europe when the Huns were ravaging it than it is now.

I wonder when people will finally understand that we can't control the climate even the slightest.

Perhaps I missed it

Bit like all tree huggers,everywhere, they can't prove it was the hottest,so make us prove it wasn't,well I think Rickbradford just did that with his graph Edited by i claudius

I actually agree that it would be good to reduce pollution, though it will not make an iota of difference to the temperature.

So lets start by telling all politicians and scientists that as of now, no more flying to conferences- all by video conferencing.

Tell all city dwellers no more private cars- everyone must use public transport, or a bicycle.

Tell all sports fans no more stadium games- only on tv.

Tell all meat lovers no more meat as animals fart methane.

Tell all smokers no more fags.

Tell all tourists to visit only places reachable by surface transport.

Only provide as much electricity as can be produced by non carbon fuelled means. Too bad about the smartphone and the giant screen tv

No more home fires.

Be a problem about the pesky volcanoes and forest fires though.

None of that would make much difference.

The advice is to transition gradually to clean energy production.

Volcanoes cause cooling not warming.

2015-not-hottest-ever-satellites-1998-20

There's none so blind as them that won't see....

Especially the ones who can't tell the difference between "temperature" and "change in temperature".

thumbsup.gif

Or those who are so ignorant that they ignore the caption which explains that the graph is the overall "change in temperature" from a baseline of zero in April 1979 "(when the satellite records begin)".

Perhaps I missed it

Bit like all tree huggers,everywhere, they can't prove it was the hottest,so make us prove it wasn't,well I think Rickbradford just did that with his graph

Bit like Tree Kickers everywhere making having opinions and unwilling to support them with factswink.png

I read the Op very carefully, I did not see the part where some scientists said it was not.. Perhaps I missed it, If so please point it out to me.

I dont need to read all the crud in this thread to see if some one else supports your claim. If you are making a claim not in the OP you need to support it.

Edited by sirineou

Well originally it was a joke,I was making ,but what I asked afterwards was if some says it was ,what did the others say?so please tell me

again and for the last time, I disagree with your premise . but if you want to disuse algebra Ok

if 10+X =20 then then x=10tongue.png

This is an important result, and everyone should sit up and take notice.

The renewed warming, and the extra CO2 that industry is giving us for free, is doing wonderful things for global agriculture, and helping us feed Earth's countless billions.

Let's hope and pray that predictions of a mini ice age to hit over the next decade are wrong, or we'll all (the poor in particular) be in trouble.

It's interesting there are so many deniers. It probably reflects the demographic of most of the posters here. They're mostly middle aged, white, well-off financially, and wouldn't be affected by warming trends much more than taking a few steps to the air-con control dial and moving it up a few digits. BTW, I have several houses in Thailand and none have air-con because the way I build (exposures, tree cover, thermal mass, etc.), it precludes artificially cooling the air - except for people who are fixated about having air-con whether it's needed or not, like most Thais above poverty level who live in cities.

Interesting that Bradford likes added CO2 and smog pumped into the air. It's estimated that there's an average of a bit over a ton of CO2 per person per annum released in the air. 6.5 billion tons of added CO2 is something to reckon with. Some posters have stated they can't fathom how any human activities can affect the planet or weather or sea levels. Well, there are some people who probably still believe tomatoes are poisonous (a belief from 17th century New England).

I doubt Bradford lives on an island near sea level, or lives in a city like New Delhi or Beijing where visibility is about 2 blocks. I can be as dispassionate as the next guy. If Bangkok was year 'round flooded with 1 to 2 meters of water, I could go with the flow (pardon a bad pun), because I'm at relatively high altitude, I have no worries of earthquakes, floods, fire, termites, bombings, smog alerts, gridlock, street protests or other things that most city dwellers have to be concerned about. Yet even tho I am personally safe, I still am concerned about others who are stuck in sea-level cities, or have to breathe dirty air, or can't get water for basic survival needs.

2015-not-hottest-ever-satellites-1998-20

There's none so blind as them that won't see....

Especially the ones who can't tell the difference between "temperature" and "change in temperature".

thumbsup.gif

Or those who are so ignorant that they ignore the caption which explains that the graph is the overall "change in temperature" from a baseline of zero in April 1979 "(when the satellite records begin)".

It is a graph showing rate of change of temperature.

Not a graph of temperature.

It might indicate that the rate of increase is slowing, but the temperature is still rising.

Methinks you are confused.
Again, the graph of actual temperature (and you can actually see the 1998 and 2010 spikes your graph shows if you look properly):
indicator8_2014_tempgraph.PNG

(*Sigh*) You have it exactly wrong. It is a graph of absolute temperature anomalies, as is made very clear.

If it were showing rate of change, it would dip below zero on some years (ie when 1999 was cooler than 1998, implying a negative rate of change).

If you can't read a simple graph correctly, I'm not sure you have much of value to contribute.

I find it difficult to understand why people that don't believe in man made climate change still do their best to stick their heads in the sand about the fact the the climate is changing whatever they believe to be the cause.

The American agencies released figures on Wednesday showing that 2015 was the warmest year in a global record that began, in their data, in 1880. British scientists released figures showing 2015 as the warmest in a record dating to 1850. The Japan Meteorological Agency had already released preliminary results showing 2015 as the warmest year in a record beginning in 1891.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/science/earth/2015-hottest-year-global-warming.html

I find it difficult to understand why people that don't believe in man made climate change still do their best to stick their heads in the sand about the fact the the climate is changing whatever they believe to be the cause.

The American agencies released figures on Wednesday showing that 2015 was the warmest year in a global record that began, in their data, in 1880. British scientists released figures showing 2015 as the warmest in a record dating to 1850. The Japan Meteorological Agency had already released preliminary results showing 2015 as the warmest year in a record beginning in 1891.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/science/earth/2015-hottest-year-global-warming.html

This is the way to have a proper discussion. You state an opinion and provide a link supporting your opinion, giving the opportunity to your opponent to read your opinion, evaluate your source and accept it or reject it with a counter argument and supporting evidence clap2.gif

otherwise we are all blowing hot air contributing to global warming, or at the very least helping alleviate the impending mini ice age some claim to be forthcominglaugh.png .

(*Sigh*) You have it exactly wrong. It is a graph of absolute temperature anomalies, as is made very clear.

If it were showing rate of change, it would dip below zero on some years (ie when 1999 was cooler than 1998, implying a negative rate of change).

If you can't read a simple graph correctly, I'm not sure you have much of value to contribute.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

You can't understand it, full stop.

This is the way to have a proper discussion. You state an opinion and provide a link supporting your opinion, giving the opportunity to your opponent to read your opinion, evaluate your source and accept it or reject it with a counter argument and supporting evidence clap2.gif

otherwise we are all blowing hot air contributing to global warming, or at the very least helping alleviate the impending mini ice age some claim to be forthcominglaugh.png .

If you ask me my opinion, summer here in the sandpit did not have the extremely hot and sweaty odd days I've experienced over the last few decades, but it was very hot and sweaty a lot earlier than usual and for a lot longer. And normally by now I'd have a heater running on the odd morning, but we haven't had that once yet.

Of course El Nino may be a factor.

As for the science, anyone who would deny that it's getting warmer by the year needs their head examined.

By all means argue with the reasons given for it, but I don't see how you can get away from the science.

If you ask me my opinion, summer here in the sandpit did not have the extremely hot and sweaty odd days I've experienced over the last few decades, but it was very hot and sweaty a lot earlier than usual and for a lot longer. And normally by now I'd have a heater running on the odd morning, but we haven't had that once yet.

Of course El Nino may be a factor.

As for the science, anyone who would deny that it's getting warmer by the year needs their head examined.

By all means argue with the reasons given for it, but I don't see how you can get away from the science.

localized results have no bearing on the aggregate

it is the overall temperature that is rising ,

Some one once asked me, if we have global warming why do we have more snow? the answer is opviouse.

Because global warming puts more moisture in the air.

Localized anomalies have no bearing on the whole result. That's why they call it Global warming.

Some one once asked me, if we have global warming why do we have more snow? the answer is opviouse.

If only the climate scientists were as clever as you!

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”.

“Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said.

If only the climate scientists were as clever as you!

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”.
“Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said.

I better sell my Ski resort stocks them,

Clever ehh?says he as he who is sitting through a major snow blizzard in the north east of the US . listening to meteorologists on the weather Chanel explaining how additional moisture in the air caused by higher water surface temperature meeting cold upper air temperatures. is causing the whole thing

^^^

Exactly; some climate experts say global warming will cause more snow; other climate experts say it will cause less.

When we have more snow, they say it is "consistent with what we would expect from global warming." When we have less snow, they say the exact same thing.

That is global warming "science" in a nutshell.