US to announce plan for new visa rules for some Europeans

webfact

US to announce plan for new visa rules for some Europeans
By BRADLEY KLAPPER and ERIC TUCKER

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration will announce as early as Thursday its plan to introduce new visa requirements for European travelers who are dual nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria, or who have visited any of these countries in the last five years.

U.S. officials and congressional aides involved in discussions say the Homeland Security Department will outline how it will phase in the new rule, designed to make it harder for Europeans who have fought for the Islamic State to enter the United States.

The law passed by Congress in December only affects a minority of Europeans, but it has prompted great concern in countries whose citizens generally enjoy visa-free travel to the United States. And it has drawn Iranian charges that the U.S. is violating last summer's nuclear accord by penalizing legitimate business travel to the Islamic Republic.

Iraq and Syria were targeted specifically because the Islamic State has seized significant territory in each country for its would-be caliphate. Iran and Sudan, like Syria, are designated by the U.S. as state sponsors of terrorism.

The officials and aides weren't authorized to speak publicly on the matter and demanded anonymity.

The biggest question mark concerns groups of individuals that could be exempted from the law, allowing them to continue traveling to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.

According to a congressional aide, the administration will create exceptions for those who traveled to any of the four countries for government or United Nations work, or for humanitarian or journalistic reasons. Legitimate business with Iran also wouldn't be punished. No waivers appear to apply to dual nationals.

Administration officials wouldn't comment.

It's unclear if such carve-outs would be supported by Congress; Republican aides say the bipartisan legislation wasn't intended to provide such wide discretion to the executive branch. President Barack Obama signed the bill into law in December.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-21

I've just read something very scary and I truly understand why they're changing their visa rules.

Muslims were trying to kill many innocent football fans? No I've got enough of that bullshit !!!

"

Germany-Netherlands Soccer Match Canceled Over Bomb Scare [updating]

Germany were scheduled to host the Netherlands in an international friendly later today, but the…Read more

HAZ’s article on the matter is behind a paywall, so the specifics here come aggregated by another German paper, Focus. The report claims that just a couple hours before kickoff, the French secret service alerted the German government of the alleged plot. As the intelligence agency understood it, a five-person group led by a German citizen planned on detonating three explosive devices inside the stadium itself, which they were to sneak into the facility either by hiding them on their persons or by obtaining an ambulance with clearance to enter the stadium. After those bombs went off, another was supposedly to be planted at a nearby bus station. Then, some time later, the final explosion would occur at the local train station.

Please see: http://screamer.deadspin.com/report-terrorists-wanted-to-hit-germany-netherlands-ma-1743755683

Another scary one:

Why Did Turkish Soccer Fans Boo During A Moment Of Silence For The Paris Attacks?

( For those who might not know: Most Turks are Muslims.)

As with many of yesterday’s international soccer matches, Turkey-Greece began with a moment of silence in remembrance of the victims of the terrorist attacks in Paris last week. Things quickly went off the rails, when the home Turkish fans interrupted the silence with boos and chants. But it might not be as simple as it seems.

You can hear the whistles (in much of the world, whistling is the equivalent of booing) throughout what was supposed to be a moment of silence in the video below. Accompanying the boos were reportedly chants of “Martyrs never die, the country will never be divided” and “Allahu Akbar,” according to Today’s Zaman, an English-language Turkish paper.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/why-did-turkish-soccer-fans-boo-during-a-moment-of-sile-1743341724

It's not in my intention to spread hate, but I truly believe that our relatives, friends and all people who want to live in peace have to be protected. It's time to stand up now.

My relatives in Germany pay a lot of taxes for people who build bombs with this money? No, enough is enough/

http://screamer.deadspin.com/why-did-turkish-soccer-fans-boo-during-a-moment-of-sile-1743341724

It doesn't make any sense. I mean, the policy makes sense, but the Obama admin doing it doesn't make sense.

I thought a common sense approach like this was considered racist and bigoted? Is Obama is trying to get himself banned from the UK?

How can the Obama admin start something that is obviously what Trump has been criticized for saying all along?

Is Obama trying to undermine one of the biggest attacks against Trump?

Well I guess we should rename it Eurabia. That given, it makes sense to change visa rules. What can you do with a country that has no border control with states that foster terrorism? A North African Muslim has a free pass to Europe where a South American wanting a better life economically and an escape from violence (same exact reasons given for the Muslim migrants) has no chance.

It doesn't make any sense. I mean, the policy makes sense, but the Obama admin doing it doesn't make sense.

I thought a common sense approach like this was considered racist and bigoted? Is Obama is trying to get himself banned from the UK?

How can the Obama admin start something that is obviously what Trump has been criticized for saying all along?

Is Obama trying to undermine one of the biggest attacks against Trump?

The law came from the (Republican controlled) Congress. Obama simply chose not to veto it.

Britain is doing something similar , if you are a British subject born and bred and Christian ,you will have to undergo much deeper investigation , likewise you will be bottom of the list for housing ,and benefits and will have to undergo extra screening if you want to use the health service , however if you were not born in Britain have no connection to it at all then if you jump off the back of a lorry in Dover or walk through the tunnel from Calais then under new diversity rules a house and benefits are there for the asking .

Britain is doing something similar , if you are a British subject born and bred and Christian ,you will have to undergo much deeper investigation , likewise you will be bottom of the list for housing ,and benefits and will have to undergo extra screening if you want to use the health service , however if you were not born in Britain have no connection to it at all then if you jump off the back of a lorry in Dover or walk through the tunnel from Calais then under new diversity rules a house and benefits are there for the asking .

Not a word spoken in jestgigglem.gif

Funny, wasn't someone recently floating such an idea? IIRC he was shot down in flames and branded a racist, bigot and threat to world safety. Trump speaks, the world froths then follows.

The program doesn't ban them, it simply does not allow for visa free travel to the US.

People from those countries or who hold dual nationality can apply for a visa. It's not racist, since it doesn't address race. Iranians are Persian, Iraqi and Syrians can be Arab or Kurdish. It also doesn't address the issue of religion. Whether you are Muslim, Christian or Zoriaster, you will need to apply for a visa.

I've just read something very scary and I truly understand why they're changing their visa rules.

Muslims were trying to kill many innocent football fans? No I've got enough of that bullshit !!!

"

Germany-Netherlands Soccer Match Canceled Over Bomb Scare [updating]

Germany were scheduled to host the Netherlands in an international friendly later today, but the…Read more

HAZ’s article on the matter is behind a paywall, so the specifics here come aggregated by another German paper, Focus. The report claims that just a couple hours before kickoff, the French secret service alerted the German government of the alleged plot. As the intelligence agency understood it, a five-person group led by a German citizen planned on detonating three explosive devices inside the stadium itself, which they were to sneak into the facility either by hiding them on their persons or by obtaining an ambulance with clearance to enter the stadium. After those bombs went off, another was supposedly to be planted at a nearby bus station. Then, some time later, the final explosion would occur at the local train station.

Please see: http://screamer.deadspin.com/report-terrorists-wanted-to-hit-germany-netherlands-ma-1743755683

Another scary one:

Why Did Turkish Soccer Fans Boo During A Moment Of Silence For The Paris Attacks?

( For those who might not know: Most Turks are Muslims.)

As with many of yesterday’s international soccer matches, Turkey-Greece began with a moment of silence in remembrance of the victims of the terrorist attacks in Paris last week. Things quickly went off the rails, when the home Turkish fans interrupted the silence with boos and chants. But it might not be as simple as it seems.

You can hear the whistles (in much of the world, whistling is the equivalent of booing) throughout what was supposed to be a moment of silence in the video below. Accompanying the boos were reportedly chants of “Martyrs never die, the country will never be divided” and “Allahu Akbar,” according to Today’s Zaman, an English-language Turkish paper.

It's not in my intention to spread hate, but I truly believe that our relatives, friends and all people who want to live in peace have to be protected. It's time to stand up now.

My relatives in Germany pay a lot of taxes for people who build bombs with this money? No, enough is enough/

many soccerfans worldwide are hooligans, to call it mildly.

Were Charles Manson and Waco Warriors Christians. No! So should all Muslim countries ban all Americans because of Charles Manson. Isis and Al-Qaeda are not Muslims any more than Charles Manson is a Christian. It is unfortunate that a percentage of Muslims emotionally support the evil murderers. Only by understanding their Koran and pointing the blasphemy of these murderers can they be beaten with education.

The dual nationality rule sounds nasty and difficult. The US doesn't penalise its own citizens for dual nationality unless they've exercised that other nationality.

I wonder how this will affect the likes of Zeinab Badawi and Alexander Siddig?

Iranian citizenship is particularly difficult to renounce. Men generally can't renounce it until they've done their Iranian national service.

How many people are suddenly going to be turned away from the USA after getting an ESTA because they didn't know that they had Iranian, Sudanese or Syrian nationality? I'm not even sure that Iraqi nationality is straightforward - the Home Office in the UK had trouble getting the facts straight. Telling whether some has Sudanese nationality as opposed to South Sudanese nationality could be awkward. (South Sudanese nationality precludes Sudanese nationality.)