Five illegal tour guides arrested in Phuket

webfact

Five illegal tour guides arrested in Phuket

1453362469_1-org.jpg
Santi Pawai Chief of Ministry of Tourism and Sport Phuket office speaks to the media following the arrests,

PHUKET: -- In a joint operation, officials from Bureau of Tourism Business and Guide Registration, Southern Region 2; Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command and police yesterday (Jan 20) arrested five men for allegedly working as illegal tour guides.

The arrests have resulted in their employers licences being suspended for 15 days.

The operation saw the team carry out searches of 66 tour buses and minivans as they passed through the Tha Chatchai checkpoint when returning to Phuket from Phang-nga as it has been found that a number of tour vehicles that pass through the checkpoint often have illegal tour guides on board.

“We checked their job orders, tour guide licences and also tourist safety measures according to the provincial policy,” said Santi Pawai Chief of Ministry of Tourism and Sport Phuket office.

“We found five illegal tour guides, one from Myanmar and four hill tribe people who are classed as aliens,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/five-illegal-tour-guides-arrested-in-phuket-55870.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-21

I'm sure having the military board the bus for a search would have been a pleasant experience for the tourists on board. What a wonderful impression it must of left on them.

And look at the quality of arrests from this big operation. One Burmese national, and four people from Hill Tribes. I'm sure these people were really cutting into Thai employment.

Laughable.

Edited by NamKangMan

It is disgusting that in 2016 hilltribe people are classed as aliens. Why shouldn't they have the right to work like any other Thai person?

Hilltribe or not. you need a license to be an official tourguide. I think the article gives the wrong impression that it has anything to do with their etnic background, but it doesn't. They are talking about people who guide without the official license, this has nothing to do with being allowed to work in general or work permits.

The stabbing's,the murders,the death of chldren,the scam's,All the other vile crimes and all the other terrible things that go on here

I'm happy to know that after the arrest of these so called tour guides in Phuket,we will all sleep safer in our beds at night

-

"The arrests have resulted in their employers licences being suspended for 15 days."

cheesy.gif

Likely that they will seize to operate for 15 days..... not....

A hefty fine would have helped..... or stopped them from doing it again.... but no... TIT

wai2.gif

It is disgusting that in 2016 hilltribe people are classed as aliens. Why shouldn't they have the right to work like any other Thai person?

Hilltribe or not. you need a license to be an official tourguide. I think the article gives the wrong impression that it has anything to do with their etnic background, but it doesn't. They are talking about people who guide without the official license, this has nothing to do with being allowed to work in general or work permits.

The article doesn't actually state the reason they are illegal but it doesn't really matter. My point is that it's wrong to class hill-tribe people as aliens.

The authorities could of course go to any number of latex/gem stores and find and arrest scores of illegal Chinese guides every day but of course that's not in their interests as the Chinese are the lifeblood of the Phuket tourist industry right now.

I wander what nationality these arrested guides were looking after?

Edited by madmitch

Here is the funny part:

“We want all tourists to feel secure while traveling in Thailand and also to send a message to every tour company that we are serious about our regulations. So do not lure or cheat the tourist and follow the rules please,” he added.

Some tourists can report this horror story when they get back home: "Imagine if it wasn't for the Thai authorities we came very close to be guided around by a guy who did not have a Thai ID-card. Imagine how lucky we were!

As far as I know they have no passports. Another ...... of our beloved hosts.

Phuket officials suspend licence for companies hiring illegal guides
Phuket Gazette

bl1.jpeg
Mr Santi headed the crackdown on illegal tour guides working in Phuket. Photo: MOTS

PHUKET: -- Officers arrested six illegal tour guides in Phuket on Wednesday and suspended the business licences for the companies that hired them.

“Working along with military personnel and police, we stopped buses and passengers at the Tah Chat Chai checkpoint in an effort to crack down on illegal tour guides on the island,” said Santi Pawai, director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) Phuket Office and head of the Tourism Business and Guide Registration Region 2.

The companies who hired the guides were contacted and their business licences suspended for 15 days.

“If we catch them hiring illegal guides a second time, we will suspend their licence for 30 days. And if they are caught a third time, we will revoke their licence entirely,” Mr Santi said.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-officials-suspend-licence-companies-hiring-illegal/62933?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-22