Bangkok's BTS stations remain inaccessible to disabled, a year after landmark ruling

webfact

BTS Stations Remain Inaccessible to Disabled, a Year After Landmark Ruling
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14533773641453377397l.jpg
Disabled citizens who filed lawsuit against BTS gather to hear the verdict at the Supreme Administrative Court, 21 January 2015

BANGKOK — City Hall on Thursday admitted it has failed to satisfy a court order that stations for the elevated BTS Skytrain system be made handicapped accessible.

One year after the Supreme Administrative Court issued a landmark victory to disabled rights activists, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration today apologized for failing to install elevators at 23 stations to make them accessible for disabled passengers as ordered by the court.

Disabled rights activist group Transportation for All filed the original complaint against the BMA and BTS operator Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Co. Ltd. On Jan. 21, 2015, the Supreme Administrative Court ruled City Hall must install elevators and other facilities for disabled access at all of the elevated rail system’s original 23 stations within one year.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453377364&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-22

It's hard to pay for these kinds of things when the money has gone into someone's pocket.

I don't think it has anything to do with money. Those in power have disabled people on a par with soi dogs.

Don't expect anything to be done this year either.

It's hard to pay for these kinds of things when the money has gone into someone's pocket.

I don't think it has anything to do with money. Those in power have disabled people on a par with soi dogs.

Don't expect anything to be done this year either.

Something will surely be done this year! More excuses and laying blame to others. A year has passed and nothing had been done except an apology given. Next comes excuses, and then laying blame on others. They don't even really need elevators for all the stations. Escalators would help tremendously if they were like why you see in Big C or Lotus stores.

All they have done so far was soon after the court order was block the walkways where the new elevators will be located. No construction since, You would think it was a vindictive move on their part because they lost.

And if/when they get up to the platforms, how do they get onto the trains ? The BTS is jam packed full much of the day, good luck trying to get on if you are in a wheelchair. They really need to put on an extra carriage, maybe take out some seats and leave space for wheel chairs.

I have a BTS station near my home that's apparently slated to receive two elevators. For much of the past year, they have had areas at ground level fenced off on the sidewalk where apparently the future elevators would go.

However, during the past year, I've never actually seen anyone working in or around those fenced off areas, and nothing visible has actually been built or installed there as yet. Nor has anything been done in the upstairs BTS station area where the elevator would reach.

If they're actually DOING anything to install elevators there, it must be some kind of new Thai stealth elevator project. whistling.gif

When it comes to providing access to shopping malls and high-end hotels and condos there doesn't seem to be an issue..no matter how much disruption to the ordinary passenger. But something for the sake of equality and of direct benefit to the disabled...water from the moon.

And if/when they get up to the platforms, how do they get onto the trains ? The BTS is jam packed full much of the day, good luck trying to get on if you are in a wheelchair. They really need to put on an extra carriage, maybe take out some seats and leave space for wheel chairs.

Maybe City hall, or someone in power in the Thai Gummint should send a 'fact finding' committee to one of the many INDEPENDENT LIVING CENTRES In Canada. www.ilcanada.ca ( may be a bad choice of words...seems like EVERYONE in the Thai Gummint is in power ) They would surely learn a thing or two about disabilities, and what to do about them. Hmm, may not be a good idea after all...because...#! it would probably confuse the hell out of them...#2..if they DID learn how to do something constructive about the situation, it would DISABLE the bonuses for some time to come.

When it comes to providing access to shopping malls and high-end hotels and condos there doesn't seem to be an issue..no matter how much disruption to the ordinary passenger. But something for the sake of equality and of direct benefit to the disabled...water from the moon.

Seem they have discovered that there is water on MARS, so there IS hope.

Being from the UK it does seem strange that new malls, BTSs, government buildings etc are still being constructed without accessibility in mind. Even for the kid's pushchair never mind a wheel chair.

But still the pavements are in such a shocking state with vendors, motorcycles and broken concrete that I can't see how a disabled person would get to the BTS!

I have a BTS station near my home that's apparently slated to receive two elevators. For much of the past year, they have had areas at ground level fenced off on the sidewalk where apparently the future elevators would go.

However, during the past year, I've never actually seen anyone working in or around those fenced off areas, and nothing visible has actually been built or installed there as yet. Nor has anything been done in the upstairs BTS station area where the elevator would reach.

If they're actually DOING anything to install elevators there, it must be some kind of new Thai stealth elevator project. whistling.gif

Same here. Entire foot path has been blocked for months.

I don't think its bts building them, its the malls themselves. bts won't invest a satang in anything unless forced to.

I think that these officials would be all over this like white on rice. There would be contracts to be let (engineering, installation, who knows what else?) and paybacks to be had.

I cannot imagine why they are waiting. There are cars to be paid for and those education expenses for the children keep going up.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

Disabled Rights Group Weighs New Suit Over BTS Stations
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14534473111453447353l.jpg

BANGKOK — A disabled rights group is weighing renewed legal action against City Hall and the BTS Skytrain operator after they failed to comply with a court order to make all stations accessible to passengers with disabilities.

A day after City Hall apologized for failing to meet the deadline ordered a year ago by the Supreme Administrative Court, the president of activist group Transportation for All said Friday his group is discussing whether to file a fresh lawsuit against the city and the elevated rail system’s operator, the Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Co. Ltd.

“We are disappointed that they have not followed the issue as much as they were supposed to,” Teerayudth Sukonthavit, 50, said. “Some disabled people have been waiting for the case so long said they have spent so much money for taxis.”

In January 2015, the Supreme Administrative Court ordered the BTS Skytrain system to install elevators and other facilities to support disabled access. One year was given to make all stations accessible, a deadline which passed Thursday. In its ruling at the time, the court did not specify any sanctions should the defendants fail to comply.

On Thursday, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration said it would install elevators at the remaining stations by September and agreed to form a committee including disabled stakeholders to monitor the project’s process.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453447311

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-22

What's the point of this? It's not as if wheelchair users could actually go anywhere along Bangkok's dreadful pavements.

Quite true... While not disabled I have tried to get places with my Son & a Pushchair...

The pavements are pretty much non-existent and either have Tree's, Power Boxes, Food Vendors etc on them... there is simply not enough space to push a pushchair or a wheelchair down the pavement. Instead we have to take greater risks and push our child, or push chair down the road along with the cars and motorcycles.

As a consequence I am forced to drive everywhere when travelling with my Son.

On Thonglor I commented as to what a great development it was that the pavements had recently been renovated with 'ramps' for wheelchair users and pushchairs... But I was corrected, the ramps were so that the motorcycles could use the pavement !

The BTS was designed without any thought to anyone other than the fully abled.... Much needs to be improved.

I agree with all the posters on this subject. Normally, I am against Government intervention but in this case the disabled have been ignored and been taken advantage for too long. How about a Section 44 be used in this situation to force either the BTS or the Bangkok Administration to solve this immediately and to provide a usable pavement for the disabled to be able to get to the BTS. In addition, escalators should be put in so the elderly can be able to get from the street to the train platform.In addition, the disabled at any age should be allowed to ride free or at a large discount. It is unconscionable that contracts were let and approved for construction without these features set as conditions of approval. It always amazes me that some people have to be forced to do the right thing.

When will the concession of Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Co. Ltd. to operate the BTS run out? I understand that the BMA plans not to renew the concession and instead will the operate BTS itself.

If the concessions ends soon, this could be a reason why the current operator is trying to avoid the installation of the lifts.

give me a break, did any one really expect to see elevators at the bts stations with in a year,HA,HA, some body made money.

i ride the bts at on-nut, they have been doing construction, they work 1 day and then do not see them for weeks, work a day or two and then vacation again, on and on. so far they have poured two pads. what is funny is watching them remove water with a bucket from the hole in one pad.

any one want to bet elevators not finished and working by the end of 2016!!

I am not sure you have ever been on BTS.

The manners Thai's employ for the handicapped, children, the aged, pregnant women, the blind, etc ... is a lesson to the rest of the world where healthy 25 year olds sit on their arse playing with their phones, while a pregnant woman struggles with grocery bags.

"good luck trying to get on if you are in a wheelchair." Pure poppycock.

No, spending money on elevators doesn't mean people with disabilities have superior rights. The elevators are necessary in order to provide the disabled with equal rights, in this case, the right of access.

The right to go up into the station, buy a ticket, and board the train -- as opposed to being left down on the ground level unable to get into the station. You have that right, I have that right, and a person with a disability should have that same right..the right of access.

Archived