CPU temperature - 75C too high?

nabbie

It likely will not be an issue...if it becomes an issue the CPU will either automatically downshift or the PC will lock up...if neither is happening...be happy. I have an old acer 722 AMD chip that has run about 78 every day for 4 years...not a worry for me now.

actually, 75 °C is too hot for the newer CPUs

while older pentiums could easily run at up to 90 or even 105 °C for some models, today's CPUs have max temps specified at 70 - 72 °C and even as low as 61 °C for some AMD CPUs.

http://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-temperature.html

you should re-socket your CPU using proper heatpaste application and probably also change the CPU cooling element.

Agree with above 'Perhaps you need to change your thermal paste'

Find mine dries and cracks = not a good contact = runs hotter.. you can buy in a little tube from most PC shops.... reseated mine before Christmas, something needs doing every 18 -24 month here I found over the past 12 years. 50 baht is not a great deal for a little tube of thermal paste, and simple to do on a PC.

74C is definitely high for an Intel i3. The overall cause is inadequate cooling, which can happen due to substandard heatsink:fan or improper mounting. The factory HSF is good for general usage but may be inadequate for gaming and almost certainly inadequate for overclocking. A common error is smearing on too much thermal paste, particularly the cheap stuff. Clean the top of the CPU and bottom of the heat sink, then apply one small rice grain glob of the paste (Arctic Silver is best) to the CPU and spread out with credit card to make very thin even layer. Refasten the HSF and plug in the fan wire.

Hi, your comments are appreciated & I am pleased to say it is now solved. I agree most of those.

I took it to the Advice distribution where all the staffs are friendly & knowledgable. They simply re-socket CPU unit & that is it. They also explained the cause of the problem is hot loose.

As the result of that, the temperature is back to normal level - 40C.

Fixing that took less than 15 minutes. :-)

Thanks again. thumbsup.gif