With all the teething problems Windows 10 seem to be experiencing,.....

giddyup

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I look after 10 PCs and have Windows 10 on all of them. The only issue I have come across are due to poorly written drivers for the PCS with AMD graphics cards. I have now switched to nVidia and they work flawlessly.

The recent major update did loose program preferences which was a pain as the new Windows 10 apps are crap compared to both their old defaults or 3rd party programs.

Linux is not an option for my business.

I updated a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite L850 from Win 7 to Win 10 and wasted the next week trying to fix the issues. Don't do it.

Eventually I gave up and took it back to Win 7. That was no mean feat also because the rollback function in Win 10 is hopeless. Eventually the only satisfactory way to do it was a clean install. Even that had issues so I removed the hard drive and formatted it on my desktop computer using a spare Sata cable. Only then could I get a clean install in the correct clean partitions. Win 7 now works correctly again but there are problems with the available current drivers for the AMD Radeon graphics adapter and the Atheros Wireless network adaptor. The windows released drivers cause all sorts of problems with I/O conflicts. I don't have install disc for these from Toshiba and their website only has the recent release package for these two which also cause issues. I searched the web for hours chasing this issue and found it to be very widespread. Still working on the occasional periods of screen jumping it experiences.

Conclusion:- Win 7 is a lovely OS. don't mess with it just to keep up with the Jonses.

Windows 10 is the worst system. I have brand new hp computer. Edge crashed again and again and again.

Edge is now totally frozen. The computer repair shop won't touch W 10 it's so bad. A piece of crap if you ask me.

I am using Chrome now. works like a charm.

For what it is worth - I couldn't upgrade to win 10 because i had 7 ultimate.... but just last week i received a message that i could now upgrade to win 10 pro, i did just so and i am more than happy with the way 10 pro operates, it has been seamless not only on the upgrade but also as an operating system. but maybe i am one of the lucky ones.

FYI I am using a HP Pavilion dm1 more than 5 years old and working just fine.

Edited by Ron CM

I look after 10 PCs and have Windows 10 on all of them. The only issue I have come across are due to poorly written drivers for the PCS with AMD graphics cards. I have now switched to nVidia and they work flawlessly.

The recent major update did loose program preferences which was a pain as the new Windows 10 apps are crap compared to both their old defaults or 3rd party programs.

A man who loves Fords and Windows. My congratulations, you've won the Olympic Gold Medal in masochism.

Enjoy your ignorant bliss while I enjoy the bast car available at the price I wanted to pay and my clients enjoy work produced by my staff and I that works and doesn't give them any problems (unless they use a Mac).

Buy a laptop with no OS and install a version of Linux such as Mint or Ubuntu. If you have access to a computer now download the required files to a USB drive, then install on the new PC.

I have a non technical friend who tried this. No luck. Back to Win 7. Not sure what all of the issues were, but he couldn't figure it all out.

The key word is non technical which includes me. I will stick by Windows 7 the devil that I know. Dealing with computer and internet problems brings out the worst in my personality.

Edited by elgordo38

Buy a laptop with no OS and install a version of Linux such as Mint or Ubuntu. If you have access to a computer now download the required files to a USB drive, then install on the new PC.

I have a non technical friend who tried this. No luck. Back to Win 7. Not sure what all of the issues were, but he couldn't figure it all out.

The key word is non technical which includes me. I will stick by Windows 7 the devil that I know. Dealing with computer and internet problems brings out the worst in my personality.

Likewise. I tend to have a short fuse with unco-operative technology.

Windows 10 is nothing but spyware and yes you can turn much of it off, until it reinstalls itself. I would go so far to say it is malware. If you have Windows 7, 8, 8.1, you already have parts of Windows 10 (spyware) downloaded to you. It was in several updates. Never allow automatic updates to be installed, check first. Much more is known now, including the update ID and they can be deleated, although you will have to check because even after you deleate they will reapper some time later, un-announced, and you will have to deleate again. There is a program, GWX Control Panel, that will inform you as to whether there is Windows 10 spyware on your computer and will help block even the nagging upgrade sign. Do some reasearch, information isn't all that hard to find. Oh, and I don't use Google or Bing search engines, DuckDuckGo doesn't track. While I don't have the expertise to do so, I do what I can to keep anybody, organization, business and especially government from knowing what I do. None of their damn business!

Apple

Or research the hell out of it and make sure all the hardware has win7 drivers

Just reinstalled 7 today, 4 random BSODs with win10 in a 20 minute period was the last straw, so much nicer now

I have Windows 7 now, I assume the same disc can't be used to install on a new laptop?

Legally - it depends on whether it's a retail copy (from a shop) or OEM (came with the laptop).

Technically - you may find that a new laptop will not run Windows 7 properly due to lack of driver support. However it *should* support Windows 10.

I note that many (but not all) posters are happy with Windows 10 because it is working well for them. They may not be worried about the more subtle implications of upgrading so if such concerns are not a problem for you then Windows 10 is the obvious solution.

However if you are concerned about such issues as the increased lack of privacy built into the platform and the plans by Microsoft to get you to pay annually for your continued use (once you have been enticed with a free upgrade and a decent time has elapsed) then you need to look elsewhere. Support for Windows platforms used to be guaranteed for 10 years but Microsoft are doing their best to curtail that, particular if you are using Windows 8 rather than 8.1, and one can expect more "gentle" (or not so gentle) persuasion in the future to migrate to Windows 10.

Linux, especially the Mint variety, is becoming more user-friendly but I would not say it matches Windows 10. You can run it in parallel with Windows to try it out but the installation is not as simple as one would like.

I personally have an aversion to paying for Apple to maintain their extortionate profit margins but if that does not bother you they would be an excellent alternative.

Apple

Just reinstalled 7 today, 4 random BSODs with win10 in a 20 minute period was the last straw, so much nicer now

I have Windows 7 now, I assume the same disc can't be used to install on a new laptop?

Legally - it depends on whether it's a retail copy (from a shop) or OEM (came with the laptop).

Technically - you may find that a new laptop will not run Windows 7 properly due to lack of driver support. However it *should* support Windows 10.

It's a genuine retail copy (but not as in pirated), but I thought it was a one time use thing, otherwise 20 people could all use the same disc.

Edited by giddyup

I updated a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite L850 from Win 7 to Win 10 and wasted the next week trying to fix the issues. Don't do it.

Eventually I gave up and took it back to Win 7. That was no mean feat also because the rollback function in Win 10 is hopeless. Eventually the only satisfactory way to do it was a clean install. Even that had issues so I removed the hard drive and formatted it on my desktop computer using a spare Sata cable. Only then could I get a clean install in the correct clean partitions. Win 7 now works correctly again but there are problems with the available current drivers for the AMD Radeon graphics adapter and the Atheros Wireless network adaptor. The windows released drivers cause all sorts of problems with I/O conflicts. I don't have install disc for these from Toshiba and their website only has the recent release package for these two which also cause issues. I searched the web for hours chasing this issue and found it to be very widespread. Still working on the occasional periods of screen jumping it experiences.

Conclusion:- Win 7 is a lovely OS. don't mess with it just to keep up with the Jonses.

i agree, actually, i think win xp was the ultimate. but all this is in the past now.

my solution was to install linux ubuntu or mint, there is nothing (for me) this can't do or can not do better than w10.

if you disagree...

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889162-what-is-it-that-windows-10-actually-does-that-you-feel-good-with-need-and-are-happy-to-accept

The "Teething problems" are exaggerated. They generate more posts than those who are satisfied, simply because the latter have nothing to whinge about.

Bear in Mind the Insider Program meant that it was running on hundreds of thousands of PCs of different brands and specifications for Nine months before it was released, millions by the time most people started getting it pushed to them.

It's now a stable platform and effectively already in SP1 release.

Edited by Chicog

Too many bugs in it imo, I installed it and got rid of it, Google Chrome is better.

Google Chrome is not an operating system - no comparison can be made.

Easy and understandable mistake to make.

Buy a Chromebook, and it's pretty reasonable to figure that Chrome is the name of the OS.

On the topic, I have 2 low end laptops running Win10 and other than an activation nuisance, Win10 has been the best Windows yet. Thanks goodness, because for business reasons, there is no alternative to Windows for many of us- myself included.

If all I did was watch movies and surf the interweb, I'd try a Chromebook before I'd go Linux. I tried Linux and getting help from any forum was an exercise in humiliation because everyone assumed I know (or should know) how to root the flubus to the 4th level- you idiot you...

Edited by impulse

This brings back memories of when Win 7 was released and all the Win 7 complaints some people had in transitioning from XP or Vista.

Some complaints can always be tied directly to the upgraded OS; but in other cases it's just computer hardware and/or third party drivers/software that third parties are tardy in updating or never update to the new OS.

And someday in the future when we transition from Win 10 to Win XYZ the complaints of a new/upgraded Win XYZ will surface again. Maybe a Windows release was the real Loch Ness Monster siting.tongue.png

Reading this lot I must have been lucky

Upgraded 2 desktops, 4 laptops and a tablet to windows 10 at home and haven't had a problem with any of them

If there was a problem the kids would tell me soon enough :-)

Much prefer it to windows 8, hated that on devices without a touch screen.

I really don't know about all this privacy worry though, seems to be a common theme these days

Doesn't have to be a laptop "without" OS, often to hard to do for a noob.

Of course not, you're right. Except a new laptop with no OS is cheaper.

Apple

It's a genuine retail copy (but not as in pirated), but I thought it was a one time use thing, otherwise 20 people could all use the same disc.

Then as long as you have removed it from the old machine you can install and activate it on a new laptop, if you can get one that has Win 7 drivers. If it won't activate first time over the internet you'll have to call the activation line but it won't be a problem.

This brings back memories of when Win 7 was released and all the Win 7 complaints some people had in transitioning from XP or Vista.

Some complaints can always be tied directly to the upgraded OS; but in other cases it's just computer hardware and/or third party drivers/software that third parties are tardy in updating or never update to the new OS.

And someday in the future when we transition from Win 10 to Win XYZ the complaints of a new/upgraded Win XYZ will surface again. Maybe a Windows release was the real Loch Ness Monster siting.tongue.png

According to MS, Win 10 is the last ever version. It'll just be updated until it's one day powering the Starship Enterprise. Edited by JaseTheBass

According to MS, Win 10 is the last ever version. It'll just be updated until it's one day powering the Starship Enterprise.

That's why I used Win XYZ as to whatever MS calls their next iteration of Windows. And they will indeed change names/numbers because in marketing they know people get tired of the "same old thing/name"....feel like they are using old stuff....they gotta have a new version/model....something with a new name (whether it's really significantly different or not)....gotta move from iPhone 4 to 5 to 6 to XYZ for example.

And I'm pretty sure during a StarTrek episode when Mr Spock had to reboot the Enterprise computer system after a Klingon attack that I saw Windows 50 flash on his terminal during the boot-up.

According to MS, Win 10 is the last ever version. It'll just be updated until it's one day powering the Starship Enterprise.

That's why I used Win XYZ as to whatever MS calls their next iteration of Windows. And they will indeed change names/numbers because in marketing they know people get tired of the "same old thing/name"....feel like they are using old stuff....they gotta have a new version/model....something with a new name (whether it's really significantly different or not)....gotta move from iPhone 4 to 5 to 6 to XYZ for example.

And I'm pretty sure during a StarTrek episode when Mr Spock had to reboot the Enterprise computer system after a Klingon attack that I saw Windows 50 flash on his terminal during the boot-up.

Why did they reboot? BSD? [emoji3]

I downloaded Win 10 a couple of days ago, a number of problems. Firstly bluetooth doesn't work any more, and while I have searched around on the net for a solution, the ones that I have found, so far, have not been successful fixes. Also, by default Win 10 steals 80% of your internet bandwidth, which, while I have high speed fibre optic has meant difficulties in downloading email sometimes. This is a criminal act in my opinion, I am paying for something which someone else is using, without permission and without even telling anyone. Microsoft are using our computers as P2P to soften the load on their own servers while going through the massive rollout of Win 10. So far I am far from impressed.

If that is verbatim I am staying away until I have no other option !wink.png

I have 3 computers. Windows 7 and 10 and an Apple laptop.

Whatever you do don't buy Apple. You switch it on and it works perfectly over and over again. It is so boring it is driving me mad!!!!

I really miss ranting and raving at my Windows computers so although I use the Apple all the time I have kept them and use them whenever I feel the need for a good curse. It's so relaxing waiting for them to boot with that feeling of anxiety wondering if they will actually start. Then there is time to get a coffee while the hard faults die down and the system sorts itself out. You can go to bed leaving them switched on with a number of open tabs because you want to resume the next day and joy of joys the next day you find they have had a nice little update session and thoughtfully restarted the computers for you losing everything you were doing. It is really refreshing to throw off any residual sleepiness working yourself into a frenzy.

That's my view anyway!!

what other options do I have if buying a new laptop?

Check that your laptop supports Win7 or if there are drivers you can download for it. If there are, do that. otherwise your options are pretty much, Win10,Ubuntu or Linux. It really comes down to how you're going to use it tho. For some things you have to use Windows.

Edited by Rob13

what other options do I have if buying a new laptop?

Check that your laptop supports Win7 or if there are drivers you can download for it. If there are, do that. otherwise your options are pretty much, Win10,Ubuntu or Linux. It really comes down to how you're going to use it tho. For some things you have to use Windows.

yes, but are they really so important that you would sacrifice your virginity for it?

i went to school without electronic calculators, i can easily live without some of the stuff that i have to use windows for.