My Cat and....a visiting "King Cobra"

Mrjlh

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was to the understanding they can only strike as far out as the higth they have risen to. If they only rise up half a meter that is all the farther they can strike. I would still stay several meters away from them.

I've read that cobras (including king cobras) can raise up to 1/3 of their body length and that they can only strike that distance (i.e. 1/3 of their body length) while raised. Non-king cobras can not slither while raised, but king cobras *can* slither while raised.

Can you imagine encountering a full-grown 5.5-meter king cobra raised up almost 2-meters and literally staring at you at your eye level. Yikes! blink.png

The pics in the OP are quite beautiful. I didn't know king cobras could be so pretty.

When I stayed in Africa we had an amazing variety of snakes about including cobras, some semi-feral cats who considered our garden as home-base and two Siamese cats born in Chicago who never went out of the house.

Many times I saw the feral cats send snakes packing. Never saw any cat taken out by a snake, but on the other hand I never saw any obviously old cats so the survival of the fittest must have prevailed in some way.

Occasionally a snake came in the house. Apparently a rearing cobra is innately programmed in feline brains even by Chicago born house cats, but their strategy was to put as much distance as possible between it and them ,doing the veranda to bedroom closet dash at record speed.

My father in law catches these cobras by hand,he just touches them and after he grabs them puts them in a bag.

He sells them alive to Chinese people who drink the blood and eat the meat.

Amazing guy the biggest one so far 3.5 meters he does this every day!

Beautiful snake and great photos. King Cobras are a protected species. Do Not Kill them.

They pretty much will leave people alone if they're left alone - if you kill them, their cousins, etc., may exact vengeance - karma, I guess ... what goes around comes around kind of thing ... I'd watch out ...

Great photos of a great snake, quite clearly some kind of Python.

a

Yeh. Like Spike Miligan said, whilst looking at seagulls on a beach:

"They're nice pigeons"

Man standing there remarked:

"They're gulls!"

Milligan replied:

"Gulls, boys. Dem still nice pigeons".

So are you sure that Python of yours is not a pigeon ?

When I stayed in Africa we had an amazing variety of snakes about including cobras, some semi-feral cats who considered our garden as home-base and two Siamese cats born in Chicago who never went out of the house.

Many times I saw the feral cats send snakes packing. Never saw any cat taken out by a snake, but on the other hand I never saw any obviously old cats so the survival of the fittest must have prevailed in some way.

Occasionally a snake came in the house. Apparently a rearing cobra is innately programmed in feline brains even by Chicago born house cats, but their strategy was to put as much distance as possible between it and them ,doing the veranda to bedroom closet dash at record speed.

My small cat brought a small live black coloured snake into the house then released it in the lounge room.

Shes always bringing me presents, mice, little birds(which l try to save)& even large live beetles.

Pandemonium broke out in our house as l had 3 shrieking females(human), a cat who kept getting underfoot & a slithering snake all getting in my way as l tried to use a plastic dustpan to scoop said snake into a plastic bucket.

Darned if l was going to grab the thing.

l finally succeeded & took the annoyed snake outside & released it.

lt was also an effort carry the bucket & slam the door shut behind me as madame cat wanted to have another crack at the snake.

Ah the joys of having an inquisitive, feisty cat!

Great photos of a great snake, quite clearly some kind of Python.

a

Yeh. Like Spike Miligan said, whilst looking at seagulls on a beach:

"They're nice pigeons"

Man standing there remarked:

"They're gulls!"

Milligan replied:

"Gulls, boys. Dem still nice pigeons".

So are you sure that Python of yours is not a pigeon ?

Its not mine its a wild one.

Edited by Bobtippit

Beautiful snake and great photos. King Cobras are a protected species. Do Not Kill them.

People are also a protected species. Kill 1 and you will be executed for murder.

Centuries ago there was a saying in Cambodia about Thais. " If you see a snake and a Thai at the same time,kill the Thai first".

I have been inches from Cobras, Mainly by accident, if you dont move they will leave you alone. I have seen Thai children playing with baby cobras with sticks , They dont seem to understand that the baby snake has the save power in its venom as an adult,

Edited by Thongkorn