Growing Makua in Thailand

I defineatly do need to sort out my email - yahoo and hotmail are very limited.

Gmail - well, I have heard a few things about what goes on behind the scenes with respect to using Gmail. My concerns are the "backdoor" stories associated with Gmail - and computers are not my cup of tea - so I stay away from anything I am uncertain of.

Tim

My wife bought some makua today...I asked her what it cost...2 or 3 baht for 200 grams.....thats 10 or 15 baht per kilo when sold in small quantities....that means probably 8 or 10 baht per kilo for the wholesaler....maybe 6 or 8 baht per kilo for the farmer?

Chownah

My wife bought some makua today...I asked her what it cost...2 or 3 baht for 200 grams.....thats 10 or 15 baht per kilo when sold in small quantities....that means probably 8 or 10 baht per kilo for the wholesaler....maybe 6 or 8 baht per kilo for the farmer?

Chownah

Thats about right - it's - between Baht 15 - 20 p/kg up here at the moment and around Baht20 in Bkk - but can I ask what time she purchased them and perhaps a photo illustrating condition. The price can halve between morning and afternoon.

It will start climbing again just before Xmas and then continue to do so untill the end of the dry season. With some luck it will peak somewhere around Baht40 - 45 p/kg. Last dry season the average didn't go above Baht30 - 35

Hoping for more with a bit of luck early next year because of the crop damage so many people have suffered so far this rainy season.

We'll just have to wait and see

Chownah

MF did say it can go pretty low in the rainy season. From my understanding of MF's posts, the real benefit of makhua comes when the rain stops and the production of all the Thai farmers that don't have the capitol to setup irrigation declines sharply.

Even at Baht 10-15 a kilo you are still making a profit.

Anything below about Baht8 p/kilo then it isn't worth it - and yes, you will go through those patches, at which point I just start picking the flowers off to stop the plant fruiting.

I wouldn't worry about it - same thing happens with all fresh market produce - its called market forces - supply & demand

Tim

I defineatly do need to sort out my email - yahoo and hotmail are very limited.

Gmail - well, I have heard a few things about what goes on behind the scenes with respect to using Gmail. My concerns are the "backdoor" stories associated with Gmail - and computers are not my cup of tea - so I stay away from anything I am uncertain of.

Tim

It was Yahoo who gave up the Chinese student this year to the Peking regime.

The kid is now doing 10 years in prison for his blog!

Stories are just that, stories.... Lots of jealousy from M$ et al, at Google & Gmail's success. :D

Hotmail is a bad joke these days.

Apologies for going OT. :o

Thats about right - it's - between Baht 15 - 20 p/kg up here at the moment and around Baht20 in Bkk - but can I ask what time she purchased them and perhaps a photo illustrating condition. The price can halve between morning and afternoon.

She bought them in the morning...she didn't record the exact time which is something she is lax at....I don't know how many times I've told her she should record what time she buys all of the food....I even bought her a little note pad specifically for that purpose but she doesn't see the practicality of doing it so she simply doesn't do it.....what's a husband to do?

No need for a photo...they were in good condition...no cuts or bruises...crisp...clean.....medium/small but not too small......

Chownah

• Like 1

No no don't worry about it - it realy doesn't matter. I was just making the point that fresh produce tends to get cheaper in the markets as the day goes on, and like all fresh produce price is influenced by condition and when you buy.

Nothing should be read into current lower prices of fresh produce accept that the cheaper it is the better it is for the consumer.

Tim

Udon - received your email.

Regards your comments about the variety with a strong purple colouring to them? Well yes, Tiger does have some purple on them, but there is another variety on which the purple is much more prominent, and as an additon to Thai dishes in resturants, it is no different in taste but much more visualy appealing and makes the dish look a lot more attractive ("you eat with your eyes").

If you feel that is more appropriate - no prob's.

Your concerns are noted - I will advise in due course how I intend to deal with that.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

Here's a few varieties for those interested in growing Makhua. :o

post-2707-1162333700_thumb.jpg

Thai Eggplant, Hybrid Green Doll

Green Doll is a new hybrid eggplant, developed by a leading seed company in Thailand. Small egg-shaped fruits, 15-20 grams, have white skin with dark green stripes on shoulder and calyx. Young fruits are very crispy and tasty. Tall type plants are vigorous and produce lots of fruits for a long time. Easy to grow and excellent variety for home gardens and fresh markets.

post-2707-1162333899_thumb.jpg

Thai Eggplant, Hybrid Kermit.

This is a hybrid version of Thai round eggplant, which is well established and very popular in the markets for its superior quality. Small round eggplants, 40-60 gram and 3-4 cm in diameter, have green/white variegated skin and green calyx. Young fruits are very tasty, which can be eaten fresh or cooked. The medium size plant is strong and very productive. An excellent variety for home garden and fresh market. Also widely grown by commercial farmers in Southeastern Asia.

post-2707-1162334257_thumb.jpg

Thai Eggplant, Hybrid Tiger (Tim's)

Tiger is a well known hybrid thai eggplant for its high quality. Small size fruits in round shape have dark green stripes on the shoulder and white skin in the bottom area. Small eggplants are sweet and tasty. Plants are vigorous and first eggplant harvest can be obtained 40-45 days after sowing. This variety adapts well to various climates and is very popular in Thailand and Southeastern Asia

post-2707-1162334487_thumb.jpg

Thai Eggplant, Hybrid White Ball

This upright plant is tall and produces small size eggplants, 60-80 grams in weight, with nearly white skin and light green stripped shoulder. This variety grows vigorously in warm climates and produces fruits for many months. Small size eggplants are very popular in Thai cooking. This unique plant with lots of white small fruits is also a very attractive container plant for the front doorsteps and the backyard garden.

post-2707-1162334663_thumb.jpg

Indian Small Eggplant, Hybrid Apsara

Apsara is a new hybrid eggplant developed by a leading seed comapny in India. Small size eggplants are round-to-oval in shape and about 80 grams in weight. Plants produce fruits in clusters, smooth skin with purple color and white stripes. This hybrid plant is very vigorous and grows well in warm climates. Tall plants with spreading habit are very productive and bear fruits for a long time. A very good variety for commercial planting and home gardening in subtropical and tropical climates.

post-2707-1162334967_thumb.jpg

Oriental Eggplant, Purple Ball

This is a unique eggplant which produces one-bite size eggplant, 10-12 grams, with dark purple skin. Tender eggplants are excellent for boiling and pickling. Grow this high-yield plant from spring to fall

post-2707-1162335144_thumb.jpg

Thai Eggplant, Hybrid Violet Prince

A new hybrid eggplant developed in Thailand. Small fruits with purple and white skin are approximate 25-30 grams, in round shape and one-bite size. Plants are very productive, bearing fruits for harvests in 35-40 days after transplant. Beautiful plants and fruits are very attractive in home gardens.

post-2707-1162335376_thumb.jpg

Thai Solanum Undatum. No common name.

Makhua yae ? makeu-a kaou, makeu-a-keun? Makhua yao? No other info?

Enjoy :D

Edited by udon

The whites are popular on the local market but because of the predominance of white colour, any markings will stand out.

The coloured varities are not a big thing with Thai's but do well overseas in resturants ("you eat with your eyes" so say many chefs).

In Thailand you are best off growing the Tiger variety.

Tim

Even at Baht 10-15 a kilo you are still making a profit.

Anything below about Baht8 p/kilo then it isn't worth it - and yes, you will go through those patches, at which point I just start picking the flowers off to stop the plant fruiting.

Tim

Just got back from a grocery store in California. The ugliest Tiger makua's you've ever seen were selling for B296/kg. Brown spots from head to toe.

Amazing America.

Just got back from a grocery store in California. The ugliest Tiger makua's you've ever seen were selling for B296/kg. Brown spots from head to toe.

Amazing America.

LOL

I would buy them. The closest makhua to me right now is about an hour drive and they are usually of that same quality. There was a local place that carried them for a few months and I was very happy but now I am just using substitutes in my gaeng keo wan.

One of the things that appeals to me about growing makhua is that I like to eat them.

Amazing America.

LOL

I would buy them. The closest makhua to me right now is about an hour drive and they are usually of that same quality. There was a local place that carried them for a few months and I was very happy but now I am just using substitutes in my gaeng keo wan.

One of the things that appeals to me about growing makhua is that I like to eat them.

Makua will start to develope brown markings on them with a about 5 or 6 hours of been picked.

The more brown markings the older they are, and yes , in the USA (CA) I have also seen them for sale where they were obviously at least a good 4 days old - by which time they are useless.

Tim

Now we know just about every thing we ever wanted about Makua-or do we ?

Earlier in this thread the issue of insect control was adressed . Ok -that is to be expected . How do I react to it-exactly?

I kind of despise the idea to go to the local seed/chemical/farm :o:D equipment etc store and rely on what some young kit or some old grandma tells me . What would be the correct chemicals /rates etc to use to introduce into the drip system ?

I will be back to Udon next month and will put all this knowledge into practice -on a small scal -maybe 100 buckets to start.

Also we do have an ongoing problem of soilborn insects which destroy our crops with regular forage feasts as soon as the seedlings are up. So far I countered by simply planting more ,so even if only a small percentage of plants produced it was enough for us . But I believe over time we have raised a healthy population of these critters who take us ti the cleaners with regularity.

Any suggestions-help-please.?

Now we know just about every thing we ever wanted about Makua-or do we ?

Earlier in this thread the issue of insect control was adressed . Ok -that is to be expected . How do I react to it-exactly?

I kind of despise the idea to go to the local seed/chemical/farm :o:D equipment etc store and rely on what some young kit or some old grandma tells me . What would be the correct chemicals /rates etc to use to introduce into the drip system ?

I will be back to Udon next month and will put all this knowledge into practice -on a small scal -maybe 100 buckets to start.

Also we do have an ongoing problem of soilborn insects which destroy our crops with regular forage feasts as soon as the seedlings are up. So far I countered by simply planting more ,so even if only a small percentage of plants produced it was enough for us . But I believe over time we have raised a healthy population of these critters who take us ti the cleaners with regularity.

Any suggestions-help-please.?

The manufacturer is SYGENTA - the product is:

KARATE ZEON

or

PROCLAIM

Mixing and usage instructions are best lifted from the Sygenta .au (Australia) website - where it is all laid out very well.

Edited by Maizefarmer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that info .

I did print out some lables ,but it seems to me rthat this stuff is for leaf feeding insects not for soil born citters ,did I miss something ??

What can I use for the insects that dwell in the soil ,come out at night and chomp down every thing above ground. How can I feed that at the correct rate into the drip irrigation system ? Same question for the supply of fertlizer to be fed into the watering system

• 3 weeks later...
Somtam

Great to see your makhua are up. I hope you give a detailed report of what you have done and how things are turning out when you get time.

Tim - We had 1 rai of land that was jungley with Luceana trees and that tall grass growing. Had a big Ford tractor come in and clear all the grass and trees and disc harrow. Then we had a guy with a 34hp Kubota redo the discing in 2 directions. He then rototilled and made about 15 raised plots for planting. After that we put down about 200kg of poon kao and installed sprinklers every 4 meters with the source water coming from the fish water settling pond.

Sometime around late Sept my wife and her mom planted Makua seeds, Chaopaya variety, in a few square meters. Those plants, about 150, got transplanted in late October. My wife and I jumped on a plane to the US for vacation and when we got back about a week ago, whola, baby makuas. Her mom tells me the plants were watered every day but when I went to water half the sprinklers were clogged up so thw amount of water the plants were getting in Nov is questionable. She also said they fertilized with 5 kg of "pooi yen". Not sure exactly what kind of fertizer that is. That 5 kg also was used on about 500 chile plants.

This coming week I'll start to germinate more seeds in the black plastic trays as there's still plenty of space for planting. When we're finished I think the one rai will be half and half makua and chiles.

rgds

Tim - We had 1 rai of land that was jungley with Luceana trees and that tall grass growing. Had a big Ford tractor come in and clear all the grass and trees and disc harrow. Then we had a guy with a 34hp Kubota redo the discing in 2 directions. He then rototilled and made about 15 raised plots for planting. After that we put down about 200kg of poon kao and installed sprinklers every 4 meters with the source water coming from the fish water settling pond.

Thanks for the update. I would love to hear about what kind of yields you get and how yours sales go when the time comes. I have my eye on a 23 rai plot with a pond but am waiting for the legal issues in Thailand to stabilize. If you reproduce close to the figures MF quoted I think I will do about 10 to 15 rai of makua.

Thanks for the update. I would love to hear about what kind of yields you get and how yours sales go when the time comes. I have my eye on a 23 rai plot with a pond but am waiting for the legal issues in Thailand to stabilize. If you reproduce close to the figures MF quoted I think I will do about 10 to 15 rai of makua.

Right now the plants are ~50-80cm tall and most have fruit and/or flowers. Checked the local talat and prices right now are B10-15/kg. MF mentioned that when the prices drop to that level he just picks the buds off but these guys are new to us so we'll let them grow.

We also just spent 2 days with a weed wacker cleaning up the plot. For someone just getting started I have to highly recommend Maize's technique of the buckets and a suspended drip system. In just 1 rai I clipped the PVC in 4 places and cut an embarassing amount of plants down. I think Maize said he had 21 rai which if he had me cleaning up the weeds that would translate into 84 cut pipes and 168 couplers to repair the leaks!!! Go with suspended drip.

A bit OT but where are the 23 rai you're looking at and at what price?

If you put alot of rice hulls (probably free at the local rice mills or at a very very low price) over the drip lines it will inhibit the weeds and eventually it will enrich the soil.....You can do the same around the plants so that when you cut the weeds you can stay back from the plants.

Chownah

A bit OT but where are the 23 rai you're looking at and at what price?

It is about 30 minutes outside of Chantaburi and the going rate for similar property is 50,000 per rai. I am hoping to get it at 40,000 or so. I want a place near Chantaburi with plenty of space between me and noisey neighbors. With all that land I figure I might as well do something productive with it and it would also provide a hobby.

I am still concerned about which way the government is going to go. If MF's figures can be replicated then the property could pay for itself, what the government does wouldn't be as important to me.