Have 5 Year Thai driver's license, want International Drivers Permit (IDP)

Thanks to all who replied here. It seems that while some posters may have told the correct documents to obtain the IDP, in the end, one cannot obtain an IDP in Samui. They have to go somewhere on the mainland, which basically I won't be getting one. It sucks that 4 hours was wasted to arrive at this conclusion, including going to and from immigration to get an certificate of residence.

Does anyone know if its possible to either a.) do it by postal mail (most other countries allow this) or b.) to pay a lawyer or an accountant to go get it for me?

I don't see any reason why you could not pay somebody to get it (legally) done for you.

Thanks to all who replied here. It seems that while some posters may have told the correct documents to obtain the IDP, in the end, one cannot obtain an IDP in Samui. They have to go somewhere on the mainland, which basically I won't be getting one. It sucks that 4 hours was wasted to arrive at this conclusion, including going to and from immigration to get an certificate of residence.

Does anyone know if its possible to either a.) do it by postal mail (most other countries allow this) or b.) to pay a lawyer or an accountant to go get it for me?

I don't see any reason why you could not pay somebody to get it (legally) done for you.

Exactly! Any idea who offers such services?

Exactly! Any idea who offers such services?

On Samui no idea.