Inquests shows Briton died in Thailand after 'downing buckets of Vodka and Red Bull'

webfact

Seems B

rits are psychologically similar to Thais when alcohol is involved...

So your broad sweeping, all encompassing view of "brits " sums up this tragic loss?

So, based on your, well balanced view everyone visiting from the UK are nuts and deserve to die.

Nice one big thinker.

The British and Scandinavians have a reputation for 'going native' when travelling overseas. In Australia they drink a skin full and crash cars or drown. At the Australian Tennis Open the Swede's -mostly backpackers - would spend most of the time in the pubs getting shitfaced. Who cares about the tennis? lol

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Methanol comes to mind whenever you get a fatality out of drinks bah.gif

Knockoff alcohol is rampant here. Just because it says Jack Daniels on the bottle doesn't mean it's real JD. Especially at the cheaper bars. It's typically jungle juice. Very dangerous.

Yes, when I go out, I order only Absolut/soda... although they may start with Absolut, I know that so many bars try to sneak in something else either right off the bat or if they think I've had enough to notice... this should be illegal!

hehehe , they just pour the rot gut in the pretty bottle . and please tell me why you ruin a better than average alcohol with soda ? someone could pee in it and you would never know . oh yea it has been done to uppity foreigner's . if you are on the next stool , I may pee in your flavorade .

Edited by mikiea

4x over the legal driving limit is not that much actually, typically 1 beer will put you over the limit

From around 7.30pm Mr Nicholson drank more than 20 bottles of strong lager and consumed shots of Sambuca.Mr Wilson returned early to his hotel but Mr Nicholson and two other friends stayed out and shared the buckets of vodka and Red Bull before returning at 1am.

Further tests showed he had 452mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine. Deaths from alcohol toxicity are expected at levels of 350 mg.

according to

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/chiangraitimes4?dm_redirected=true#3006

20 pints (~0.57l/piece) for a binge starting at 16.00 would already give 820mg/100ml for a regular build adult male - so the maths is off already. 452mg/100ml is not deadly by a long haul.

EDIT: I can waste a 0.75l bottle of vodka, with a case (12x500ml) of beer during a night - and I weigh around 72kg - with every calculation I'd need to be in a morgue at least a couple of times per year.

One thing clearly comes through on too many of these posts...the macho-manly art of boozing...no matter what the amount/tragic results is staunchly defended...(unless, of course, the abuser is a Thai, and then it would ptobably be seen here as 'typically stupid')

I'm not celebrating my booze binges, but contesting the "scientific findings" - I am well aware that I drink a lot when I go drinking (what I was conveying in my previous posts) but still manage to be alive - with shitload of larger "dosage" of alcohol deemed to be fatal - and as I said I'm a relatively small man (pun intended) so fishiness (and local brewers in mind) I'm prolly more wise to contest stupid math with having perspective - no?

Wikipedia says :

""A similar assumption is made in urinalysis. When urine is analyzed for alcohol, the assumption is that there are 1.3 parts of alcohol in the urine for every 1 part in the blood, even though the actual ratio can vary greatly.""

so sad to come here on holiday and die from a mixture of beer spirits and high energy drinks and apparently no way of checking the level of consumption he wasn't a heavy drinker but he consumed 20 bottles of lager ? that's heavy .

yes, you are right. It's sad that someone is so stupid....

Several of the mom and pop stores sell red bull which has been spiked with moonshine, they brew up, to stay off police watch list. using this as a mixer with good booze can be a real downer. ''perment in some cases''

unless you know you bar /pub and company you keep, very well, you can not be real sure what is in your drink

So, based on the information in the linked article, this guy had been on holiday in Thailand for a few weeks in March/April 2015, then at end of May he decides at the last moment to drop everything and take a vacation again in Thailand, leaving his daughter with his mother, starts drinking in the airport in UK, while on the flight, upon arrival in Thailand, goes out soon after arrival, drinks and parties until long after midnight, goes back to his hotel room, sleeps, and never wakes up.

Engineers in UK must have very good secondary employment benefits package; lots of holidays, flexibility, pay.

Feel sorry for his daughter’s loss.

4x over the legal driving limit is not that much actually, typically 1 beer will put you over the limit

Another wonderful bullshit of Smeldy member who is a regular of this kind.
Recall that the BAC limit in Thailand is set at 0.5 grams per liter of blood which generally corresponds to 4 beers 25cl for a 80 kg person,
4 X limit is 2 grams of pure alcohol per liter. This rate may be benign for some but for a normal person it causes a ethylic coma which can be lethal.

One always needs to be suspicious of a "inquest" here. There are too many political considerations, and the cops and authorities are only willing to admit foul play as a last resort. The vast majority of the time, if you die here, it was your fault. Not saying it wasn't his fault. Just saying that I take everything the authorities and the government here with a grain of salt, and believe very, very little of it.

One always needs to be suspicious of a "inquest" here. There are too many political considerations, and the cops and authorities are only willing to admit foul play as a last resort. The vast majority of the time, if you die here, it was your fault. Not saying it wasn't his fault. Just saying that I take everything the authorities and the government here with a grain of salt, and believe very, very little of it.

The article appears to be the result of the British inquest.

Wikipedia says :

""A similar assumption is made in urinalysis. When urine is analyzed for alcohol, the assumption is that there are 1.3 parts of alcohol in the urine for every 1 part in the blood, even though the actual ratio can vary greatly.""

So, if that is correct, he would have had about 3,5 promille what is 7 times the driving limit in many European countries, and by some people considered a lot of Alcohol.

again from Wikipedia:
Impairments by Alcohol percentage:

0.300–0.399

So sad, the Lad could have had a full life but wasted it in Alcohol.

so sad to come here on holiday and die from a mixture of beer spirits and high energy drinks and apparently no way of checking the level of consumption he wasn't a heavy drinker but he consumed 20 bottles of lager ? that's heavy .

well look at you.. you never did anything stupid right? RiP and shut your ignorant mouth this guy died and his family will be left devastated and they don't need YOU, and others, being so 'holier than thou'

The article appears to be the result of the British inquest.

Inquest in Manchester heard he was four times over legal drink-drive limit
Recording a conclusion of accidental death, coroner Alison Mutch told Mr Nicholson's family: 'A significant amount of alcohol was consumed during the course of the day. He clearly consumed in excess of 20 bottles of lager and probably significantly more than that.
Edited by JLCrab

well look at you.. you never did anything stupid right? RiP and shut your ignorant mouth this guy died and his family will be left devastated and they don't need YOU, and others, being so 'holier than thou'

did he think of his family before???? And YOU think twice before sending such useless quotes

Interesting.

When a Thai man does this kind of thing, vicious comments such as 'Thainess at its best', 'TIT', and 'that's Thai men for you' will immediately pop up like wild mushrooms.

That was a Brit, and I don't see any 'Englishness at its best', 'TIE' or 'there's your typical English finest' anywhere on this thread (apart from Trogers comment, which is accurate but still pretty mild).

Oh well, this is TVF, which I think sometimes ought to be renamed TBF (B for bashing).

Edited by Yann55

Met a Brit from the oil fields of Iraq the other day- on holiday in Thailand for the umpteenth time- Had been drinking steadily since Sunday morning when he arrived. Generous fellow- bought many rounds. He had a bar bill for the day I met him for almost 20K Baht. The bar owner stated he sometimes drops 30 or 40 K in a 24 hour period. When I left he was literally unable to stand and still ordering- I rather enjoyed listening to his BS about half of which I believed. If he continues like that- I doubt he will make it to retirement. Many in LOS like this.

i think the thais might put bad stuff in the bucket drinks occasionally.
last time me and a group of farangs did a bucket they kept making them stronger and stronger, which is not profit effective. i also blew chunks that night.

Sadly there's a certain percentage of Brit tourists who are plain wallies, and it's been that way for a while.

I remember picking the grapes in Beziers in southern France back in the early 70s and we all went downtown on Saturday night. We were enjoying a nice meal with some wine when a bunch of boisterous English lads came in, within an hour they were dancing on the chairs bellowing in unison, 'We won the war! Bet you frogs waz (sic) glad we saved your skin.' etc. total idiots.

The owner just shook his head in disbelief. He should have called in the gendarmes and given them a good hiding.