Thailand braces for 'mega-outbreak' of Dengue fever

webfact

Thailand braces for 'mega-outbreak' of Dengue fever

Thailand is bracing itself for an even worse 2016 with experts warning the number of infections may be on par with the 1987 mega-outbreak

BANGKOK: After a year which saw an explosion of Dengue fever infections, Thailand is bracing itself for an even worse 2016 with experts warning the number of infections may be on par with the 1987 mega-outbreak.

Thailand recorded some 140,000 cases of infection last year, the highest number since the 170,000 cases of the 1987 crisis.

The first line of defense against the epidemic that has swept through Southeast Asia sees teams of local officials armed with machines spraying mosquito-killer, who patrol daily around Bangkok in an attempt to eliminate mosquito-breeding sites.

Full story: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thailand-braces-for-mega/2465766.html

-- CHANNEL NEWSASIA 2016-01-28

The population in Thailand should follow this advice.

Works for me.

Mosquitoes: they’re a pain in the ass and they know exactly when to turn a perfect al fresco dinner party into their own feast, starring your guests as the main course. Try and try as we do, we can’t seem to rid ourselves of the mosquito problem, even when there seem to be an endless list of remedies and solutions, from sprays to tiki torches to citronella candles. What if I told you that warding off those winged pests could be as easy as drinking a cocktail? Though it may sound preposterous, science suggests that those apertif pisco sours are good at more than just whetting your appetite.Carbon DioxideIn general, mosquitoes are drawn to humans by the carbon dioxide (CO2) we exhale with each breath. Research has shown that the more carbon dioxide you exhale, the greater the chances that you’ll attract a swarm of hungry mosquitoes, though the exact reason isn’t entirely known. The question is: Does alcohol affect CO2 exhalation? Theoretically, yes. As a depressant that lowers excitability in the body, alcohol may relax the body, as well as the diaphragm muscle, enough to actually reduce overall CO2 exhalation by causing you to breathe less heavily than if you were active or exerted. Decreased exhalation may not make you invisible, but it should help.

Sweat- To the cute girl across the table, the smell of sweat could be a turn-off. To a hungry mosquito, however, sweat is like an aphrodisiac. What attracts them is the smell of the lactic acid excreted in your sweat, but chances are good that if you’re enjoying an ice-cold cocktail you’re probably sweating less. Load up on the ice and stay cool.

Thiamine (Vitamin B1) Perhaps the most compelling piece of science that may suggest drinking alcohol can help to repel mosquitoes is the effect that alcohol has on thiamine levels in the body. Have you ever noticed that B-vitamins have a distinct smell? That, my friends, is the smell of thiamine, and although some happen to like the scent, mosquitoes do not. In the presence of alcohol, free-thiamine levels in the bloodstream are increased, due to the body’s inability to incorporate it into its coenyzmatic form, thiamine-pyrophosphate. For this reason, alcohol is considered a thiamine-antagonist. With all that extra free-thiamine in circulation, your common mosquito could be more likely to bite the poor soul sitting next to you who decided to fly sober for the evening.

Edited by ldiablo

It's the day-time mozzie that carries Dengue - at night time you only get Malaria ! haha!! I believe the daytime one also carries the Zika virus.

Big fans - even outside - keeps the little blighters off your legs and ankles - favourite places.

Beware the fumigators - they will also kill everything else from gin-jock down, and give humans a seriously bad headache. 7-11 sell a repellant, but it takes a bottle a night if you're outside. Burning coils while you're out of the room and then religiously keeping the screens closed will work. Don't burn coils in a room where you're sitting -- see above regarding the fumigators.

They used to keep a special species of fish in the ponds which ate the larvae, but then the people ate all the fish,,,,,,, ;)

With the last dose of rain from the high pressure system, and the warming of the weather, we should see an increase in infections over the next 2 weeks.

As for fumigation, that does not reduce breeding sites. All unused water receptacles should be emptied, and needed water pots should be covered. I would have thought over decades of dengue in this country, the population would be more aware of how arboviruses are transmitted. A lot more grassroots education is needed, as dengue can only be combated at the community level.

Works for me.

Mosquitoes: they’re a pain in the ass and they know exactly when to turn a perfect al fresco dinner party into their own feast, starring your guests as the main course. Try and try as we do, we can’t seem to rid ourselves of the mosquito problem, even when there seem to be an endless list of remedies and solutions, from sprays to tiki torches to citronella candles. What if I told you that warding off those winged pests could be as easy as drinking a cocktail? Though it may sound preposterous, science suggests that those apertif pisco sours are good at more than just whetting your appetite.Carbon DioxideIn general, mosquitoes are drawn to humans by the carbon dioxide (CO2) we exhale with each breath. Research has shown that the more carbon dioxide you exhale, the greater the chances that you’ll attract a swarm of hungry mosquitoes, though the exact reason isn’t entirely known. The question is: Does alcohol affect CO2 exhalation? Theoretically, yes. As a depressant that lowers excitability in the body, alcohol may relax the body, as well as the diaphragm muscle, enough to actually reduce overall CO2 exhalation by causing you to breathe less heavily than if you were active or exerted. Decreased exhalation may not make you invisible, but it should help.

Sweat- To the cute girl across the table, the smell of sweat could be a turn-off. To a hungry mosquito, however, sweat is like an aphrodisiac. What attracts them is the smell of the lactic acid excreted in your sweat, but chances are good that if you’re enjoying an ice-cold cocktail you’re probably sweating less. Load up on the ice and stay cool.

Thiamine (Vitamin B1) Perhaps the most compelling piece of science that may suggest drinking alcohol can help to repel mosquitoes is the effect that alcohol has on thiamine levels in the body. Have you ever noticed that B-vitamins have a distinct smell? That, my friends, is the smell of thiamine, and although some happen to like the scent, mosquitoes do not. In the presence of alcohol, free-thiamine levels in the bloodstream are increased, due to the body’s inability to incorporate it into its coenyzmatic form, thiamine-pyrophosphate. For this reason, alcohol is considered a thiamine-antagonist. With all that extra free-thiamine in circulation, your common mosquito could be more likely to bite the poor soul sitting next to you who decided to fly sober for the evening.

See now I sweat A LOT when it is hot here. But I seldom get bitten by mozzies. My friends that visit from abroad get feasted on.

We could be in a mozzie infested place and I get left alone.

@idiablo, drink everyday and in the season get bit everyday, sorry thats your theory gone, if only it was that simple

But the back of a hot tablespoon pushed onto a bit will instantly stop the itching

An ice cube works also → also works on burns....

The mosquito that spreads dengue is the same one that spreads zika virus. The Thai authorities need to understand the implications of this very quickly. Unfortunately it will not be important until it affects some Hiso, then they will panic and declare the country will be free in 3 months, then there will be a delayed reaction to reality.

Works for me.

Populist nonsense cut and pasted from a frankly crappy website ( a food-blog advertising vehicle site! http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/08/22/does-drinking-alcohol-repel-mosquitoes/ ) with about as much scientific authority and credibility as the Professor in the Muppets.

There is no evidence for any of this, and quite a lot of evidence that the effect of vitamin B is just a myth, just one here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26443777

Journal of Insect Science. 2015 Oct;15:140. The Efficacy of Some Commercially Available Insect Repellents for Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae).

"We present a comparative study on the efficacy of eight commercially available products, two fragrances, and a vitamin B patch [...] The products were tested using a human hand as attractant in a Y-tube olfactometer setup with Aedes aegypti (Linnaeus) and Aedes albopictus (Skuse), both major human disease vectors. [...] Interestingly, the perfume we tested had a modest repellency effect early after application, and the vitamin B patch had no effect on either species."

Isn't it obvious that random websites for advertising purposes are not sources of scientifically credible advice?

yes a serious problem and no fun, but:

"Thailand recorded some 140,000 cases of infection last year, the highest number since the 170,000 cases of the 1987 crisis."

population of Thailand as per Google, 67 million (2013).

140,000 cases last year is 0.208% of the current population of Thailand.

population of Thailand in 1987 as per Google, 53.99 million.

170,000 cases in 1987 is 0.314% of the 1987 population of Thailand.

if we were to have 170,000 this year, it would be 0.253% of the current population.

or a 0.061% decrease in cases versus population over last year numbers versus 1987 .

But since i got this far and just now realized there is no way to know the actual number of the mosquito populations in 1987 verus 2016, and how much the mosquito population would need to increase to INCREASE YOUR ODDS of contracting Dengue, I will just say, buy mosquito repeltant. smile.png

Edited by NCC1701A

Works for me.

Populist nonsense cut and pasted from a frankly crappy website ( a food-blog advertising vehicle site! http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/08/22/does-drinking-alcohol-repel-mosquitoes/ ) with about as much scientific authority and credibility as the Professor in the Muppets.

There is no evidence for any of this, and quite a lot of evidence that the effect of vitamin B is just a myth, just one here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26443777

Journal of Insect Science. 2015 Oct;15:140. The Efficacy of Some Commercially Available Insect Repellents for Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae).

"We present a comparative study on the efficacy of eight commercially available products, two fragrances, and a vitamin B patch [...] The products were tested using a human hand as attractant in a Y-tube olfactometer setup with Aedes aegypti (Linnaeus) and Aedes albopictus (Skuse), both major human disease vectors. [...] Interestingly, the perfume we tested had a modest repellency effect early after application, and the vitamin B patch had no effect on either species."

Isn't it obvious that random websites for advertising purposes are not sources of scientifically credible advice?

I prefer to not listen to any government or non government medical agencies and tend to do the opposite of what they recommend, hence the reason that in 43 years I have never had to go to a hospital for any illness or ailment minus my vasectomy.

But to test this theory I intend perform 2 sets of tests.

1. Catch some mosquitos, get inebriated

and see what occurs.

2. Same mosquitos, sober and see what occurs.

Hopefully will have results in a few days.

I think the cold weather of the past few days was helpful . This dengue mosquito can't survive with cold temperatures, but of course, in Bangkok there were only 2-3 days of cool weather and not as cold as in the North. It couldn't have killed all the mosquitoes, but perhaps it gave a hit.

Works for me.

I prefer to not listen to any government or non government medical agencies and tend to do the opposite of what they recommend, hence the reason that in 43 years I have never had to go to a hospital for any illness or ailment minus my vasectomy.

But to test this theory I intend perform 2 sets of tests.

1. Catch some mosquitos, get inebriated

and see what occurs.

2. Same mosquitos, sober and see what occurs.

Hopefully will have results in a few days.

Thanks for taking one for the team.

Please post the results.

Are you really going to use the same mosquitos?

maybe they will be easier to catch the second time,, Maybe they will be inebriated too.

Works for me.

See now I sweat A LOT when it is hot here. But I seldom get bitten by mozzies. My friends that visit from abroad get feasted on.

Don't think you're safe.

You probably get bitten the same but just don't react any more.

Works for me.

Have you noticed that people do not sit beside you ?

I am always bewildered at how 'lax' Thai's are when there is a mosquito(s) present. They just carry on with their wandering minds into galaxy's further than I can fathom. While the 'mozzies' are busy at harvest.

Me...on first notice, I stop everything I am doing and go on a 'kill' rampage of everything with wings.

"falangs...tink too mutt"

Edited by tkramer

many posters have skimmed over the biggest problem that is the way the local population ntreats its waste and outside areas. I have a large garden and dogs and lots of flowers, getting bitten here is almost non-existent, however if I pop into the local village where waste is left for days and after the rian a homne for mossies, as well as the plastic trash lying around often allowing water tio fill the dips another home for mossies.

As someone has said after all the years, Thais still not keep the locale clean and always leave the waste and other water retaining receptacles lying aROUND FOR OPSMEONE ELSE TO CLEAN IT UP.

LUCKILY i DO NOT HAVE A RESIDENCE NEXT DOOR so I do not have to deal with my neighbours lack of cleanliness.

It is simple keep iut clean and any water recpetacles have fish in them, zero mossies or very very few, and do not forget only the female bites the rest do not.

Works for me.

so in other words getting pissed in this case will actually save your life.