police crackdown

zeichen

You can always reject an offered bribe. You can't however compensate for uncovered insurance if you drive without a valid permit.

if have some international insurance company get you insurance not in Thailand

can get payment with NDL from country in Vienna or Geneva convention( if its in standart)

and this is funny

1 can drive with NDL in Thailand - Yes

2. Thai Police can request IDP- Yes

3. If do not satisfy the request of police (show NDL+IDP or thai NDL) can be punished (fine)- Yes.

It sounds absurd? but some times follow the law is funny.

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by ardokano

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was never legal to drive without international licence if you don't have a Thai one. Your insurance is also not worth the paper and never was, as you are driving without a valid permit.

Some people want to learn it the hard way. Go for it smile.png.

US license is legal here. I needed an International for the car rental company. And when I travel to Vietnam. I have to have a Thai license to drive legal there.

I don't think so, but again, your risk and your money.

Thai license for Vietnam....made my day :)

Glad it made your day. But in case you are being sarcastic then use google driving rules for ASEAN countries. Rules apply to foreign nationals residing and having a license from the country they reside in.

Well, you are in the wrong here. Be happy the BiB let you off the hook. If you have an accident no insurance will cover you and you may even end up in jail.

Thats exactly what i said several months ago, some guy on here was adamant and cocky, saying he can drive on his home licence, wonder if its the same guy? Would be funny if it was.

Well it is easy if you have a driving license from your own country you can get a international driving license from there and drive in peace. I don't understand why everyone think it should be different here.

You are lucky you don't drive in Vietnam because over there they don't even accept international license.

No, the rental places do not ask for an IDP, but they may mention it nowadays as I expect they have had a lot of complaints!

Same in Pattaya,obviously making stops for this mostly impacts tourists and Thais without a licence. At least here we all know where the police station is as I prefer paying an official fine there than buying off a corrupt policeman. They made a killing. As you say, previously a home licence was sufficient in the past providing it was written in English. Hardly the welcoming image the tourist adverts portray....

DWI also making them big amounts!

I think it is time the police were not allowed to collect fines on the spot......

By law if you are in the Kingdom for longer than 3 months then you should apply for a Thai licence less than 3 months you can use the driving licence issued in your own country . Think the policeman had you my friend doubt he gave you a receipt !!!!!

Well, you are in the wrong here. Be happy the BiB let you off the hook. If you have an accident no insurance will cover you and you may even end up in jail.

Absolutely incorrect. I have driven in Thailand for more than a decade, claimed on the insurance on about five occasions (and with three different insurance companies). I only use a UK driving licence and the insurance company (every one of them) never bats an eyelid. Not even a flinch.

The requirement, I've been told on numerous occasions, is for a "valid driving licence". No need for a Thai driving licence, according to insurance.

The insurance people were wrong if they paid any claims for an accident. without a proper DL Feel lucky if they did through their own ignorance..Check the law and not your own ignorance because you got away with it for a while.So are the people that got by on a "qusi legal" stamp on their passport from a visa office legal because they got away with it before ? I think not,Don't be dumb,get legal.

See how it works out in your home country as a foreigner without a proper DL!

I am British and do not have a British license. I recently went back to England and hired a car with my Thai License. No problem because it is legal. I also have a friend using a Thai license legally in Sweden.

I am British and do not have a British license. I recently went back to England and hired a car with my Thai License. No problem because it is legal. I also have a friend using a Thai license legally in Sweden.

A Thai 5 year DL is accepted for driving and renting vehicle is the US. NO IDP is required. I have done this numerous times.

A Thai 5 year DL is accepted for driving and renting vehicle is the US. NO IDP is required. I have done this numerous times.

This is frightening. Some of the driving here would warrant a jail term in UK.

I have done this numerous times.

And exactly that is the problem. You are not covered by any insurance should anything happen. Accident, you hit someone, you injure or kill someone. Just because a car rental agency does not know it better or ignores it, does not make it legal..

I always rent cars in Europe with my SG license because they can't send you speed tickets. But I also have a German one in case anything happens.

Edited by MadMac

I have done this numerous times.

And exactly that is the problem. You are not covered by any insurance should anything happen. Accident, you hit someone, you injure or kill someone. Just because a car rental agency does not know it better or ignores it, does not make it legal..

I always rent cars in Europe with my SG license because they can't send you speed tickets. But I also have a German one in case anything happens.

Incorrect. Hertz and their insurance company recognized the Thai license as it is a smart license in english as well as Thai. Numerous others have also done this and are covered both in US, EU, UK and NZ. NO question asked and fully covered.

Well, you believe what you want to believe. It's after all your money.

So a multi billion dollar world wide company is wrong. I don't think so. wink.pngfacepalm.gif

The multi billion dollar company will give a sh*t on you if you have a crash and kill someone. Perhaps in Thailand you can still buy yourself a "get out of jail" ticket, in other countries certainly not.

Well, you believe what you want to believe. It's after all your money.

So a multi billion dollar world wide company is wrong. I don't think so. wink.pngfacepalm.gif

The multi billion dollar company will give a sh*t on you if you have a crash and kill someone. Perhaps in Thailand you can still buy yourself a "get out of jail" ticket, in other countries certainly not.

Unbelievable.tongue.png

No point to fight as we probably both swim in safe waters. I'd just not risk it....

Just to add one point, my car insurance includes a bail out clause, in case you get arrested after an accident. So these things happen and if you drive without a valid permit you better have a full bank account :)

"Dont listen to the girl who sold you your policy. You need to be a legal driver.:

I have a drivers license. It has always been legal to drive here on my US license. No police have ever said in the 15 years that I have been here that I need an international license. I have insurance on the bike so please stick to the facts.

When did they change and crack down on only Thai license or International license?

Insurance policies require you to have an IDP. Its just that thai rental companies don't ask. If you check your insurance wording, you will find you are not covered in the event of an accident as you don't hold a valid IDP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how would this make a Thai DL a legal permit in Vietnam?

The Law would !

Anyone holding a valid Thai driving licence can now use it in nine other countries without the need to obtain an international permit. These countries are Mynamar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and the Philippines which, together with Thailand, make up the 10 country ASEAN economic grouping.