Is Thai Mackerel safe for regular consumption?

Hal65

Heavy Metals ( Mercury, lead, etc. ) are more common in large fish. This is because the bigger fish like tuna live longer. The heavy metal do

not leave their body, and tend to build up, the longer they live. This is the same for the Human body; and this is why you should not eat canned

tuna more then twice a week.

The larger the fish, the more potential for it to bio-accumulate mercury. Large shark in Australia is usually rejected for human consumption for that reason.

Given the size of local mackerel, I doubt there is cause for concern.

How about the local salmon, not the expensive imported one? Isn't that farmed salmon, and shouldn't it therefore be safe, although lower in omega fatty acids.

Unfortunately farmed fish is notorious for very high levels of PCBs.

Edited by HerbalEd

We use mackerel for bait where I come from, no one would be caught dead eating it.

I used to use mackerel for bait also, until I tried it, apart from my top 3 choices (if available although unlikely) of haddock, lemon sole or halibut, a nice piece of smoked peppered mackerel is hard to beat, sadly one disappointment since coming to thailand is none of the above is readily available hence my previously favoured diet of fish has been greatly reduced to the odd sea bass on a beach trip or a fish soup made by the wife to my mums recipe

How about the local salmon, not the expensive imported one? Isn't that farmed salmon, and shouldn't it therefore be safe, although lower in omega fatty acids.

Unfortunately farmed fish is notorious for very high levels of PCBs.

Don't forget mentioning antibiotics, pesticides and dioxins and the fact that farmed fish hardly contains any omega-3 fatty acids but has a high omega-6 fatty acids level that creates inflammation in the body. Farmed fish is not healthy at all but rather toxic.

Heavy Metals ( Mercury, lead, etc. ) are more common in large fish. This is because the bigger fish like tuna live longer. The heavy metal do

not leave their body, and tend to build up, the longer they live. This is the same for the Human body; and this is why you should not eat canned

If the stuff doesn't leave your body and builds up over time, I think once a week is better?

I plan on living forever.

If the stuff doesn't leave your body and builds up over time, I think once a week is better?

I plan on living forever.

The owners of the massage places in Ratchada have just used your post in their latest billboard ad.

• 4 weeks later...