Thai-born Harvard dentist accused of welching on multi-million baht scholarship debt to Mahidol

rooster59

I could understand her now wanting to go back and work in Thailand. Things can be pretty comfy in the USA. But she needs to come clean with the Debt monies. The university will have its own suit about breach of contract and not coming back to teach. Of course lawyers could get involved and say well, she was young, situation has changed, etc. I would say BBBB SSSSSS. She is obviously happy in America and loves her social and professional status and has no intention of going back to Thailand. Would be interesting if deportation or other legal actions come forth

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damm, those reviews are good! :)

I would think it's only a matter of time before harvord pick up on this issue from Google searchs and feel they have to get rid of her.... Lol

Good old harvard, the most expensive place to send your kids to be educated by filthy criminals... :)

Good old harvard, the most expensive place to send your kids to be educated by filthy criminals... smile.png

Yes, those reviews are pretty scathing. But, nearly all of them were by Thai people. Most Thais are so blinded by nationalism. I had a discussion with my Thai woman yesterday, about the Australian Open. I was rooting for Gerber, the German, and against Serena, the American. She told me that I was supposed to be rooting for the American, and that it would be very hard for a Thai to root for the opponent. I told her that was blind nationalism, and it was based on ignorant politics, and not wisdom, nor personal preferences. Not sure if she got that. It is so endemic here. It really started in earnest in the 1930's. and has continued, as it serves the interests of the elite and the powerful. Keep the people as ignorant as possible.

I am not defending this dentist. But, just saying that the sensitivity and offense the Thais have taken on that google page says alot.

You cannot betray the homeland! You cannot do a bad thing to a Thai University! You cannot default on a Thai loan! You are hurting the nation!

Good old harvard, the most expensive place to send your kids to be educated by filthy criminals... smile.png

Yes, those reviews are pretty scathing. But, nearly all of them were by Thai people. Most Thais are so blinded by nationalism. I had a discussion with my Thai woman yesterday, about the Australian Open. I was rooting for Gerber, the German, and against Serena, the American. She told me that I was supposed to be rooting for the American, and that it would be very hard for a Thai to root for the opponent. I told her that was blind nationalism, and it was based on ignorant politics, and not wisdom, nor personal preferences. Not sure if she got that. It is so endemic here. It really started in earnest in the 1930's. and has continued, as it serves the interests of the elite and the powerful. Keep the people as ignorant as possible.

I am not defending this dentist. But, just saying that the sensitivity and offense the Thais have taken on that google page says alot.

You cannot betray the homeland! You cannot do a bad thing to a Thai University! You cannot default on a Thai loan! You are hurting the nation!

Her Harvord Google+ page ranking is based on 1-5 stars... It doesn't matter if the comments are from Thai nationals or homegrown muricans :)

Its only a matter of time before harvard has to go into damage limitation and terminate her employment....

If anyone deserves it... I guess she does

She's making an estimated 1 million dollars a year now and wouldn't pay back a lousy 8million thb loan to get her where is today... Its only a couple of months work when the usd is almost worth 36 thb

If they didn't help her when she had nothing, she deserves to be back doing dentistry in a village in essan making 15k a month

This could get interesting. While the four guarantors negotiated with Mahidol University to accept payment of the original debt, ~8 million baht the University may have a case for the unpaid balance against Dolrudee 'Porsche'. She could find herself with a civil action suit should she return to Thailand and be prevented from leaving until the matter is settled (Andy Hall?). If the law finds a criminal action is warranted (statute of limitations?) she might find that an arrest warrant awaits her at Immigration. The University will have powerful friends in the Government.

It could get really nasty for her if she is convicted in absentia and her Passport is consequently cancelled. Maybe she has thought of this and by way of marriage has gained dual citizenship; this is lengthy and complicated although she has had since 1993 to get her act together.

​Harvard may decide that they don't need the adverse publicity and dispense with her services.

No, She will sue for 10 million for libel and crimes under the computer crimes act.

They will settle out of court...

According to a number of references, this particular one from Wikipedia:

"A scholarship is an award of financial aid for a student to further their education. Scholarships are awarded based upon various criteria, which usually reflect the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award. Scholarship money is not required to be repaid.[1]"

This has always been my understanding of the term.

Additional reports indicate that a stipulation of the scholarship was that the doctor should return and teach at Mahidol for a period of time.

This is not an unusual stipulation, and answers why there were guarantors involved. They saw it as an opportunity to bring some additional expertise into the Kingdom.

It would be interesting to know the details of the scholarship contract. Certainly the doctor could afford to repay the value of the original scholarship, and ethically should. The funds could be used for the next candidate, who might feel a shade more gratitude for the opportunity.

one could defend her actions as she is simply in the majority 76-80% per ABAC poll of society that approves of corruption as long as they benefit from it.

apparently her thai family is well off to boot.

i would think some u.s. media coverage of her could be enough to motivate her to repay

Scholarships are subject to whatever conditions are stated on the document that the recipient signs. So far, we have not seen a copy of this document.

Correct. I know Thais who work for universities here and have been awarded "scholarships" for PhDs and Masters. Part of the agreement is that they will work for the university for a specified period of time after graduation. If the leave before completion of that time money must be repaid.

It seems a normal thing here, and of course they get low salary whilst working off the time so the university recovers some cost.

I think majority of those comments were more concern about morality, not nationalism.

According to the BP this morning 'Porsche' has nothing to worry about unless she returns to Thailand. She has US citizenship via naturalisation and consequently a US Passport. One of the guarantors says she planned the entire episode.

She is Thai to the core , no ethics or morals when money is concerned.

My kids are Thai, my wife is Thai, my wife's family are Thai and they all have morals, compassion and are nice people. Also when money is involved.

I don't know where you got to the idea that all Thais are like this, but It looks to me that you are either ill informed or hang out with the wrong people.

Thais will be Thai

anyway how dumb guaranteeing this person? at least one guarantor had not even met her! having said that she's just reverting to type as Thais have no moral compass it's just part of their inbuilt cultural disposition

According to the BP this morning 'Porsche' has nothing to worry about unless she returns to Thailand. She has US citizenship via naturalisation and consequently a US Passport. One of the guarantors says she planned the entire episode.

Harvard will quietly tell her to repay the loans or lose her position and then she will pay up.

Since when have scholarship's been repaid? I thought the whole point was to allow someone to study who couldn't pay for it.

It was not a student loan.

If anyone read the article it also states the reason for it being 30m rather than the original was because they wanted 3 times the original amount of 8 million....So one of the top universities in Thailand wanted 3 x 8 million, they then asked for 30m.....One of the top universities in Thailand.

If you to read the article then you can see that the scholarship was granted with the clause that she would return and work at Mahidol university when finished and as she broke that clause she has to pay back the scholarship + interest and fees. Now the 4 guarantors had to pay back the money instead!

It's easy math actually. If you take 8,000,000 and then add the compound interest of 7% (same as US student loan including fees) over 22 years you end up with a debt over 30,000,000 Baht.

Since when have scholarship's been repaid? I thought the whole point was to allow someone to study who couldn't pay for it.

If anyone read the article it also states the reason for it being 30m rather than the original was because they wanted 3 times the original amount of 8 million....So one of the top universities in Thailand wanted 3 x 8 million, they then asked for 30m.....One of the top universities in Thailand.

If you to read the article then you can see that the scholarship was granted with the clause that she would return and work at Mahidol university when finished and as she broke that clause she has to pay back the scholarship + interest and fees. Now the 4 guarantors had to pay back the money instead!

It's easy math actually. If you take 8,000,000 and then add the compound interest of 7% (same as US student loan including fees) over 22 years you end up with a debt over 30,000,000 Baht.

I do not know the particulars of the "contract". It seems erroneous to refer to it as a scholarship if repayment is expected. It should have been configured as a loan.

Certainly the doctor is at fault for leaving her guarantors dangling in the breeze. She could well afford to repay the entire original sum of 8,000,000tb, or roughly $225,000, on a US doctor's salary.

A one time payment of $50,000, as she has reportedly made, would seem to indicate that she could certainly manage that, at least.

Harvard is correct that they have no legal standing in the matter, but I wonder if petitions or letters would prompt them to quietly pressure her to make an ethical solution?

I do not know the particulars of the "contract". It seems erroneous to refer to it as a scholarship if repayment is expected. It should have been configured as a loan.

Certainly the doctor is at fault for leaving her guarantors dangling in the breeze. She could well afford to repay the entire original sum of 8,000,000tb, or roughly $225,000, on a US doctor's salary.

A one time payment of $50,000, as she has reportedly made, would seem to indicate that she could certainly manage that, at least.

Harvard is correct that they have no legal standing in the matter, but I wonder if petitions or letters would prompt them to quietly pressure her to make an ethical solution?

as mentioned before it was a scholarship. The university had a contract that she would come back to Thailand and teach the advanced dentistry course at Mahidol for 3x the duration of her scholarship time in the USA. She didn't return therefore she broke the contract! As far as I'm aware that was fairly normal back then for cash strapped emerging universities.

as mentioned before it was a scholarship. The university had a contract that she would come back to Thailand and teach the advanced dentistry course at Mahidol for 3x the duration of her scholarship time in the USA. She didn't return therefore she broke the contract! As far as I'm aware that was fairly normal back then for cash strapped emerging universities.

You are correct. It's amazing that so many TV members have such a hard time understanding. Thai universities are not going to fork out big money for someone to obtain a PhD overseas, only to see them going to work for someone else. The terms of the scholarship--of which the woman agreed to before accepting--required her to return to Mahidol to work for a specified period. She knew this yet is reneging. Another unfortunate consequence of this will be other universities hesitating to offer similar scholarships to needy students because of the deceit of this woman.