How to transfer ownership of M/bike if not in Thailand?

giddyup

I have a neighbour who wants to buy his friends almost new motorbike, the problem is the friend is now back in the UK. How can the guy in the UK transfer ownership of the bike without coming back to Thailand?

Well, it can surely be done because just last Friday we helped an in-law buy a used car, the car was in the car lot's owner name, she signed the ownership book at the car lot and some other papers her employee handed her, then the car lot employee and buyer went off to the land transport office approx 10 kilometers away and completed ownership transfer of the car. The car owner never went to the land transport office as she stay behind to count the money again, greet and meet new customers, etc. Sorry I can't give more details other than it can be done.

P.S. By the way, the car lot owner drove a 2016 black Benz....no used car for her.

With the owner not in country it will be difficult to transfer ownership..best bet is to ask some of the agents that hang around the department of land transportation..make sure they understand the bike is owned by a foreigner who is not in Thailand at the moment.

Please let us all know how you get on.

Well, it can surely be done because just last Friday we helped an in-law buy a used car, the car was in the car lot's owner name, she signed the ownership book at the car lot and some other papers her employee handed her, then the car lot employee and buyer went off to the land transport office approx 10 kilometers away and completed ownership transfer of the car. The car owner never went to the land transport office as she stay behind to count the money again, greet and meet new customers, etc. Sorry I can't give more details other than it can be done.

P.S. By the way, the car lot owner drove a 2016 black Benz....no used car for her.

Yes, but the owner was there to sign the transfer papers. The owner of the m/bike is in the UK.

Yes, but the owner was there to sign the transfer papers. The owner of the m/bike is in the UK.

Also visa papers and residence certificate are required.

In the example I gave the "owner" did not go to the land transport office...the owner signed paperwork at her office on the car lot--I watched her....then off to the land transport office the employee and buyer went while the owner stayed at the car lot. About two hours later the buyer and employee came back with the car in the buyers name. Now of course car salesmen do this everyday for a living and may have power of attorney on file to allow the transfers.

Also, I can't see a certificate of residence being required by the seller; only the buyer if farang.

Probably best to go to the land transport office with a Thai would can translate and ask the questions. It may simpler than we think. Heck, in the U.S. when you sell a vehicle, the owner signs the vehicle ownership title he has, hands it to the buyer, and then the buyer can go transfer the vehicle into his name that day. I did it three times in Hawaii....can't say it that easy in all the States but it probably pretty similar The seller is usually required to also mail in another form within ten days just to confirm he did sell the vehicle to individual XYZ, Anyway, a visit to the land transport office is probably in order.

In the example I gave the "owner" did not go to the land transport office...the owner signed paperwork at her office on the car lot--I watched her....then off to the land transport office the employee and buyer went while the owner stayed at the car lot. About two hours later the buyer and employee came back with the car in the buyers name. Now of course car salesmen do this everyday for a living and may have power of attorney on file to allow the transfers.

Also, I can't see a certificate of residence being required by the seller; only the buyer if farang.

Probably best to go to the land transport office with a Thai would can translate and ask the questions. It may simpler than we think. Heck, in the U.S. when you sell a vehicle, the owner signs the vehicle ownership title he has, hands it to the buyer, and then the buyer can go transfer the vehicle into his name that day. I did it three times in Hawaii....can't say it that easy in all the States but it probably pretty similar The seller is usually required to also mail in another form within ten days just to confirm he did sell the vehicle to individual XYZ, Anyway, a visit to the land transport office is probably in order.

I know for a fact that a certificate of residence is required by the seller, for a falang anyway. Another friend sold his bike before he went back to Australia and had to go to immigration to get the letter first.

Lemme guess. Owner is Thai ?

Much less paperwork needed than if owner is farang.

Recently I sold a bike. Doc's needed were the following.

Passport face page.

Passport visa page.

Residency cert (or in my case work permit).

Power of attorney form (so I did not need to go the the trans dept).

Vehicle transfer form.

A thai seller just needs a copy of their ID card and house book (and the power of attorny and transfer dorms if they dont want to go to the trans dept).

EDIT: Giddyup.

This is were I got the power of attorney and vehicle transfer forms from. Note he mentions if the seller is leaving/has left the country that the person should also provide signed coppies of the exit stamp and TM card.. maybe this will work for you.

http://donslifeinthailand.com/Buying_Selling_Car.html

Edited by Don Mega

Pib you are proberly trying to be helpful, well i hope you are , but your examples are nothing like the op case.

the owner is in the UK, so yes he could sign any papes and send them to Thailand, but proof of residence etc. is required.

op i think it will be hard to achieve the change of ownership, but if the green book is in Thailand, then thats proof of ownership, and the bike can be taxed yearly and used without the ownership change.

good post donmega

My point was I'm feel most sure it can be done without the owner going (farang or Thai)...but yes, he's going to have to sign some papers and mail them from the UK to whoever is handling the sale for him on this end. I expect he'll basically need the docs in Don Mega's post with the possible exemption of the residency certificate simply because he'll no longer in Thailand. A residency certificate seems to be more of a "preferred" document for doing things such as opening Thai bank accounts, filing Thai tax returns, buying/selling a car in Thailand. I've opened bank accounts and filed tax returns to get fixed account tax withholding returns and bought a car "without" ever having to provide a certificate of residence. I live in Bangkok. Now I will admit I always "show" them my Yellow Book House and sometime they take a copy; sometimes they don't. I have no work permit...just a yearly retirement extension of stay Each Thai govt office seems to have a little different way in doing things.

With the info the OP has got so far, recommend again he go visit the Land Transport Office with a Thai to help in translation, ask the question, and have the Land Transport Office write down a list of docs needed for this situation of the owner no longer being in Thailand, or at least out of Thailand for X-period.

From some googling here's a weblink with paragraph talking about Buying/Selling a car. The last part of below paragraph also shown below talks what's needed if the seller is not going to the land office with the buyer. But as mentioned earlier some Thai govt offices sometimes have different/extra requirements.

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/carbuying.htm

post-55970-0-64398600-1454335362_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Sold an HD to a guy living in Hua Hin. He wanted it registered in BKK like all the rest of his bikes. Went to DLT in CNX, checked serial numbers, did the transfer to his name, but not the registration. I provided copy of my green book, signed some transfer papers, nothing else required. Buyer did the same, the ladies gave him a bunch of paperwork to take to BKK to complete transfer. Neither he nor I provided anything from Immigration, they did not want a copy of my yellow house book - not to say he will need it to register later. Your experience in a different DLT will be different.

Its actually very easy and I have done this before myself.

There are two forms that you can collect from Land Transport office, both need the owner to sign (either post the forms or use your imagination). After the seller has signed all you need in the event that the owner has left Thailand is a copy/scan of the passport and a scan/copy of the exit stamp showing that the foreigner has left the country.

If you have the copy of exit stamp no proof of address is required. No letter from consulate, not letter from immigration.

I know this for certain because I have done it myself and assisted another person with the same issue.

There are two forms that you can collect from Land Transport office, both need the owner to sign (either post the forms or use your imagination). After the seller has signed all you need in the event that the owner has left Thailand is a copy/scan of the passport and a scan/copy of the exit stamp showing that the foreigner has left the country.

If you have the copy of exit stamp no proof of address is required. No letter from consulate, not letter from immigration.

I know this for certain because I have done it myself and assisted another person with the same issue.

There ya' go.

My point was I'm feel most sure it can be done without the owner going (farang or Thai)...but yes, he's going to have to sign some papers and mail them from the UK to whoever is handling the sale for him on this end. I expect he'll basically need the docs in Don Mega's post with the possible exemption of the residency certificate simply because he'll no longer in Thailand. A residency certificate seems to be more of a "preferred" document for doing things such as opening Thai bank accounts, filing Thai tax returns, buying/selling a car in Thailand. I've opened bank accounts and filed tax returns to get fixed account tax withholding returns and bought a car "without" ever having to provide a certificate of residence. I live in Bangkok. Now I will admit I always "show" them my Yellow Book House and sometime they take a copy; sometimes they don't. I have no work permit...just a yearly retirement extension of stay Each Thai govt office seems to have a little different way in doing things.

With the info the OP has got so far, recommend again he go visit the Land Transport Office with a Thai to help in translation, ask the question, and have the Land Transport Office write down a list of docs needed for this situation of the owner no longer being in Thailand, or at least out of Thailand for X-period.

From some googling here's a weblink with paragraph talking about Buying/Selling a car. The last part of below paragraph also shown below talks what's needed if the seller is not going to the land office with the buyer. But as mentioned earlier some Thai govt offices sometimes have different/extra requirements.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Totally incorrect information on that website.

Required is residence certificate or workpermit or yellow housebook (in some places they don't accept yellow housebook).

Nice one, so that confirms what I posted yesterday.

Required is residence certificate or workpermit or yellow housebook (in some places they don't accept yellow housebook).

A couple of posts above have already confirmed the seller should not need to provide a residence certificate as the vehicles were sold without the seller providing such...the seller just had to sign forms which the buyer took to the Land Transport office. So what is wrong with that paragraph at the website. The paragraph said you need a residence certificate (understood a work permit or Yellow Book should suffice) for "buying" but it's not needed for the "seller" to sell. Of course the residence certificate is really not much more than a letter saying your want to buy a vehicle, open a bank account, etc., versus something that just says you live in Thailand.

But as always there always seem to be some govt offices that require some form the other govt offices don't and doesn't appear to be required in their regulations. That's the offices that cause addition headaches.

Edited by Pib

A couple of posts above have already confirmed the seller should not need to provide a residence certificate, so what is wrong with that paragraph at the website. The paragraph said you need a residence certificate for "buying" but it's not needed for the "seller" to sell.

But as always there always seem to be some govt offices that require some form the other govt offices don't.

I already stated that another friend who sold his bike last year, was required to provide a letter of residence from Immigration. That was in Pattaya, I can't say what the requirements might be for the rest of Thailand.

Could be Pattaya's Land Transport Office's policy then. But I bet they have allowances for those situations where the owner can not return to Thailand anytime soon in order to transfer ownership of a vehicle.

With all the farangs in Pattaya (short term and long term stayers) I fully expect there have been quite a few cases where the farang leaves Thailand for a while to work, visit the home country, etc., and some one tries to pull a fast one in selling his vehicle. One way to try to catch that fraudulent activity is requiring a form from immigration that would require the owner to go get that form...and of course that govt form has a govt seal/stamp on it which provides more cover for the Land Transport Office in case it was a fraudulent sale/transfer of ownership. That could very well be their "general" policy to be followed when possible/reasonable...for other cases they have exceptions.

Anyway, recommend again a visit to the Land Transport Office, fully explain the situation, and get a list of forms need to accomplish the transfer in this case. Cheers.

A couple of posts above have already confirmed the seller should not need to provide a residence certificate as the vehicles were sold without the seller providing such...the seller just had to sign forms which the buyer took to the Land Transport office. So what is wrong with that paragraph at the website. The paragraph said you need a residence certificate (understood a work permit or Yellow Book should suffice) for "buying" but it's not needed for the "seller" to sell. Of course the residence certificate is really not much more than a letter saying your want to buy a vehicle, open a bank account, etc., versus something that just says you live in Thailand.

But as always there always seem to be some govt offices that require some form the other govt offices don't and doesn't appear to be required in their regulations. That's the offices that cause addition headaches.

For both buying and selling certificate etc. is required. For both visit to DLT is not required of power of attorney is given.

Incorrect information on that website, just to name a few: there is no connection between certificate requirement and length of visa; letter from embassy is only required if no certificate from immigration or if no wp or yellow housebook; 'you also need letter from immigration' (besides the mentioned letter from embassy of no visa of one year) is incorrect, end I did not bother to check the rest since those are the mistakes already in the first 3 lines.

Guess the farang owner now in the UK needs to figure out how to get a residence certificate for Thailand.

Or he could email over a signed scan of his exit stamp and TM card AS HAS BEEN MENTIONED A FEW TIMES.

Edited by Don Mega

Guess the farang owner now in the UK needs to figure out how to get a residence certificate for Thailand.

Or he could email over a signed scan of his exit stamp and TM card AS HAS BEEN MENTIONED A FEW TIMES.

Agree...a residence certificate shouldn't be required for the seller especially when he's left Thailand.. My response above was a satirical response to a couple of stevenl responses stating a residence certificate was needed for buying "and selling." And that one weblink I posted implied the same thing...seller shouldn't need to provide a residence certificate to sell his vehicle. Other than above one satirical response my other posts have been the seller shouldn't need a residence certificate for selling. I think techologybites' #13 post and your number post#8 identifies the requirements which do no necessarily include a residence certificate.

I'm not the one insisting a farang seller must always provide a residence certificate; I'm saying you don't necessarily have to.

OMG Pib.

If the seller is in Thailand and not a Thai national he will need either a residency cert or work permit. Yes maybe some DLT's will forgo this requirement but that would be an exception to the rule.

If the seller is not longer in Thailand he does not need to provide a residency cert but instead provide copies of the exit stamp and TM card.

Do you understand this ?

Edited by Don Mega

Of the two forms that you get from DLT one is the vehicle ownership transfer form, and the other is effectively power of attorney that allows the bearer of that paper to do the transfer without the owner present. If the owner is present at the DLT only one of those forms is necessary.

Not entering the argument about other papers needed.

Agree...a residence certificate shouldn't be required for the seller especially when he's left Thailand.. My response above was a satirical response to a couple of stevenl responses stating a residence certificate was needed for buying "and selling." And that one weblink I posted implied the same thing...seller shouldn't need to provide a residence certificate to sell his vehicle. Other than above one satirical response my other posts have been the seller shouldn't need a residence certificate for selling. I think techologybites' #13 post and your number post#8 identifies the requirements which do no necessarily include a residence certificate.

I'm not the one insisting a farang seller must always provide a residence certificate; I'm saying you don't necessarily have to.

You don't necessarily have to provide a residence letter as a seller, if the Motor Transport dept doesn't ask you for one. As I've said 3 times now, Pattaya Motor Transport dept. did insist on one from my friend.