need advice opening small-ish thai restaurant in pattaya.

ive decided to open thai style restaurant in pattaya ive got a great deal on the lease in a very busy popular area with high traffic. its mainly for the gf for a source of income. she has expirience of cashier, her english is great. obviously she is now looking for chefs and staff and doing her own homework so i,ll do mine on here. i need to know where to look for chefs , how much salary i will pay them, one will work nights and one days, free food to staff and there are 2 rooms upstairs that i will do a little renovation on and give free rooms to staff also with tv and basic furniture. where can i find decent second hand kitchen equipment and cookers ovens fridge etc in pattaya area, if there is anywhere in bkk who will deliver i would like to know. the rent is 40k a month fixed for 3+3 i think its a fair deal and landlord seems genuine. ive done some maths and we only need to get 100 customers in there per day to make enough. beer , water,drinks will generate a decent income alone and definatey enough to pay overheads.

• Like 2

I think that one of the problems you will have is the profit margin. To be competitive you will have to be cheap and consistently good.

To be cheap your profit will have to be minimal. I used to own a pub in Australia and everything was sold at 3 times the purchase price (1x to pay for it, 1.5x for overheads, 0.5 for me). This was possible in Aus but I doubt it's possible here (think of the purchase vs sale price of a beer).

Reliable staff will be another issue. I'd only offer the rooms after a considerable trial period as an incentive and reward.

Does ฿40k/month seem reasonable? I'm not sure.

Best of luck in your quest.

• Like 2

>ive decided to open thai style restaurant in pattaya ive got a great deal

Now punctuation aside, do you really think this is a great deal? Its hardly the most novel of ideas is it? If you need everything answered for you in this thread you seem to setting off on the wrong footing. It would be wonderful if you could post an update of your success in a few years time to prove us wrong, but so many have fallen going down this road.

one big problem you will face is staff; reliability and, unfortunately, honesty. i have both thai and foreign friends owning restaurants and they all complain about staff turning up late for work or not turning up at all, attitude, and all have had problems with petty theft involving staff. one thai friend closed her restaurant and opened a massage shop due to the amount of time she spent on managing/sorting out staff issues.

one foreign friend who owns a restaurant with his other half is completely tied to the place. he cant trust his other half or any staff to run the place in his, even temporary, absence.

but good luck!

• Like 2

The OP recently posted that his GF's younger brother had been asking her for cash to cover for his HIV meds recently. In light of this you really are up against it as not only do you have all of the issues to overcome as pointed out by others, you will also have the brother looking for his drawings from the business.

I wish you well but if you put the pros and cons on a spreadsheet I don't think it will look like a good idea.

Your Avatar says it - Put your thinking back into gear...

My wife works in a thai restaurant in the Netherlands for minimum wage, about 50,000 baht/month. The owner is always complaining he can not find good people. I guess finding good people is the issue everywhere because of these extermely low wages in the restaurant business.

I am not sure you will get ever a profit out of the place but it will definitely be an experience to run your own business. And if you got the place fully furnitured and equipped you can always try to sell it to someone who likes to buy a place to be runned by his gf ;).

• Like 1

So your missus has experience as a cashier and you seem to think that qualifies her to be a restaurant owner.

Hell why stop there. Why not just open her a Hedge fund business. Seems she's qualified for that as well.

Good luck with that.

The OP is a known troll. He just started getting hungry early today but will leave once we stop feeding him.

I looked at his posts before I replied, I just think he is very naive young guy that will be back in Farangland before he knows it

The OP is a known troll. He just started getting hungry early today but will leave once we stop feeding him.

I looked at his posts before I replied, I just think he is very naive young guy that will be back in Farangland before he knows it

family eat free,freinds eat free,then there's the drink,then along comes the B.I.B. SAME SAME,

if you got money to burn,DO IT less of a headache.yes that will be a BIG ONE.