need advice opening small-ish thai restaurant in pattaya.

Pay a higher wage and hire younger sexy/cute girls. The place will be packed.

Legit brothels have a hard time doing this................hahahahaa. Makes me so sad!

Maybe a restaurant where staff forgets to wear underware.......................lol.

Edited by Nomyai
  • Like 1

I just saw a small one close for good in what sounds like similar circumstances. The food was very good as I went there myself, but this is a tough game to be in.

Your first challenge could be your wife, they are enthusiastic in the early days but that wanes, it is hard work. They seem to think there is no problem closing shop for 12 days while she goes off to see her mother. Next is staff, very hard to get good reliable staff, they are difficult. Then the premises, come lease renewal if the owner sees how well the place is doing or good it looks expect a big jump in rent.

It will go beyond the initial investment for you.

The auction houses may be a good place to start for equipment..Collingbourne.

Furnishings etc, the big shops behind BigC South (2nd Rd) on Phettrakul.

Good Luck...

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

It is a very bad idea. You just have no idea the pile of s..t you would be stepping into.

Better idea? Give your gf a fixed amount of "private" money. How much is up to you and clearly depends on how much money you have. I would say 5-10 thousand per month would be appropriate. There is near certainty that she would not clear; clear means net, net profit after all operating expenses and taxes are paid, more than 10,000 bhat a month.

girlfriend will run the restaraunt not me. thai style, basic menu, location is the very best in pattaya !! i only want advice on where to buy get chef, where to buy equipment .

i dont need advice from the usual negitive bums on tv.

• Like 1

girlfriend will run the restaraunt not me. thai style, basic menu, location is the very best in pattaya !! i only want advice on where to buy get chef, where to buy equipment .

From the advice being given, with your attitude you are well on the way to becoming a bum yourself.facepalm.gif

" .......... she has expirience of cashier,"

in Pattaya .........555!

PS

Great lease deal, you will lose 40k a month for 3 years.

Easier just to give the gf 40k a month to stay at home.

One born every day.

maybe the OP meant she was a friend of a cashier cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

From the advice being given, with your attitude you are well on the way to becoming a bum yourself.facepalm.gif

I agree completely. Some people never listen. After reading all of the responses, I would never dream of opening a Thai restaurant unless I had vast experience in the business, adequate professional backup, and money to burn. As for chefs try the local job centre behind bigc in pattaya klang.

I have an easier and quicker solution to your questions. Immediately after reading this, go to the bank and withdraw all your savings. Upon returning home, spread out all the money of the coffee table and slowly consume a cold beverage; all the while feeling so proud of yourself and life savings. Upon completion of the beverage, collect all the money and go outside. Place all the money on top of your BBQ and light it. Again, much easier and quicker; and, you will actually see where your money went.

40,000 baht rent

How much is the electric bill going to be? Is this an open air restaurant or closed where you need to run the A/C all day?

Water Bill

Trash Bill

2 cooks one for day and one for night? Really? How many customers can one cook serve? People won't want to be waiting around. What happens if you get 20 customers? The 20th customer is not going to be very happy waiting as no Thai's usually are.

How many servers do you need to hire?

Who is going to clean the place and wash the dishes?

Where are you going to supply all the restaurant food? Fresh vegetables, meats, etc.

What about takeout boxes and things of that sort?

How many baht of inventory do you expect to invest to get the place going for food, drink, dishes, glasses, paper products, pots and pans, silverware, etc.)

You are probably looking at needing to generate 100,000 a month to break even

Now do the math with that number.

Is it a restaurant aimed at farang that will pay 200 to 300 for a dish or for Thai's 35-50 a dish?

How many seats does your restaurant have? Can you even fit the number of people inside needed to break even?

The biggest mistake every failed restaurateur makes is over-estimating the number of expectant customers with no market survey or real facts.

thankyou for you advice one of the first with some sense on here, ok the location is perfect right next to hospital, soi buakhao on main road tens of thousands of foot traffic both ways every day, hospital staff alone will be enough to keep place up and running i hope and i think but yes maybe im wrong and maybe i am being too optimistic but should i not try to suceed or just throw the towel in ?

girlfriend has many years expirience in resturaunt business. her family are coming to work also and her dad is a chef.

high volume with seating for around 60 people at anytime.

very very busy foot traffic on main road. 2 way street. probably the busiest street in pattaya next to walking street at night.

no other thai style resturant close by

4 very big hotels within 100 metres

the food will be basic thai style with a decent menu.

staff are getting rooms free of charge which is a massive bonus to any thai worker.

wages for staff will be decent.

no hi - lo season as other businesses in pattaya need to survive. thais need to eat everyday

beer will be served and will be kept at a reasonably cheap price such as 50 baht a beer.

business can open day and night.

its not going to break my bank to open.

farangs on a budget will eat and drink here . as i often do myself . in 14 years ive never once been to a high end resturaunt in thailand so this place suits many.

i think ive said enough. so where to source equipment and more staff . thats the question.

THANKS

• Like 1

I'm not going to tell you not to do it, because you have already made up your mind.

What I will tell you is when it comes to Thai food, you need to keep your overhead as low as possible. The overkill I see when it comes to Farang we want things to be real nice this does not mean the place needs to be a dump. One of my favorite Thai food places, outdoors, clean, service is fast and food is fresh and reasonably priced. The place is pack daily from the moment it opens at 10am to the time it closes at 4pm. I believe this place clears easily 30,000 baht a day. Does not even have one commercial equipment using coolers with Ice delivered daily.

If you are looking for 2nd hand stainless steel equipment there are a few on Sukhumvit, here is one for sure.. heading North just past the New Home Pro,, start to slow down there is one on the left.. you will see all the equipment on the sidewalk. First I suggest you go to a new store like the one near Tony Gym on 3rd Road. From Pattaya Tai going down 3rd Road past Tony Gym it is on the right. This will give you a comparison of new and old. What I have found is they want high prices even of old stuff so you need to know the prices.. Your Thai Wife/GF, will need to use their skills, play hardball even if you have make them think you are going to walk.

Don't get too fancy.. the objective first is not to show off but to bring them in and make money.

THANKS

i think i know the place your talking about on soi buakhao across from lk metro ? this place is buzzing day and night. we have both sat and took account of how many customers this place is turning and yesterday alone within 2 hours there was approx 100-200 people in there !! i have watched this place for a year now , i have seen 70 people in there with another 10-15 outide queing up to go in and even people coming for takeaway. this place is making good money for thai standards, this place does not even have any big hotel or hospital close by only beer bars and gogo bars .

so hospital staff will be enough in my view let alone 1000,s of thais and farangs who are staying in nearby hotels. 99% of all my friends in pattaya all love thai style food, all love to go to a place where they can get a decent plate of thai good and a cheap beer. most work offshore and spend lots of money here on holiday so cheap charlies they are not

• Like 1

" .......... she has expirience of cashier,"

in Pattaya .........555!

PS

Great lease deal, you will lose 40k a month for 3 years.

Easier just to give the gf 40k a month to stay at home.

One born every day.

maybe the OP meant she was a friend of a cashier cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

or the kind that doesnt go with customer!

I can probably guarantee you will be saying goodbye to your cash. You call posters "bums" but perhaps we have seen farangs funding a birds project that always fails, I am one who has seen it.

I will add, where I live, a nice spot up country, Thais and farangs open these eating places and close after a short period, folk take over the business and they fail....

You will have to sell a lot of noodles to even pay the rent, staff, ingredients etc..

Remember, noooooo loss to your bird if it fails, cost her nothing....whistling.gif

one Post containing personal details Edited

Forum rule - 18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

40,000 baht rent

How much is the electric bill going to be? Is this an open air restaurant or closed where you need to run the A/C all day?

Water Bill

Trash Bill

2 cooks one for day and one for night? Really? How many customers can one cook serve? People won't want to be waiting around. What happens if you get 20 customers? The 20th customer is not going to be very happy waiting as no Thai's usually are.

How many servers do you need to hire?

Who is going to clean the place and wash the dishes?

Where are you going to supply all the restaurant food? Fresh vegetables, meats, etc.

What about takeout boxes and things of that sort?

How many baht of inventory do you expect to invest to get the place going for food, drink, dishes, glasses, paper products, pots and pans, silverware, etc.)

You are probably looking at needing to generate 100,000 a month to break even

Now do the math with that number.

Is it a restaurant aimed at farang that will pay 200 to 300 for a dish or for Thai's 35-50 a dish?

How many seats does your restaurant have? Can you even fit the number of people inside needed to break even?

The biggest mistake every failed restaurateur makes is over-estimating the number of expectant customers with no market survey or real facts.

thankyou for you advice one of the first with some sense on here, ok the location is perfect right next to hospital, soi buakhao on main road tens of thousands of foot traffic both ways every day, hospital staff alone will be enough to keep place up and running i hope and i think but yes maybe im wrong and maybe i am being too optimistic but should i not try to suceed or just throw the towel in ?

girlfriend has many years expirience in resturaunt business. her family are coming to work also and her dad is a chef.

high volume with seating for around 60 people at anytime.

very very busy foot traffic on main road. 2 way street. probably the busiest street in pattaya next to walking street at night.

no other thai style resturant close by

4 very big hotels within 100 metres

the food will be basic thai style with a decent menu.

staff are getting rooms free of charge which is a massive bonus to any thai worker.

wages for staff will be decent.

no hi - lo season as other businesses in pattaya need to survive. thais need to eat everyday

beer will be served and will be kept at a reasonably cheap price such as 50 baht a beer.

business can open day and night.

its not going to break my bank to open.

farangs on a budget will eat and drink here . as i often do myself . in 14 years ive never once been to a high end resturaunt in thailand so this place suits many.

i think ive said enough. so where to source equipment and more staff . thats the question.

THANKS

Sounds like a good location but that is high rent IMHO so you don't have much leeway for trial and error when it comes to style of Thai food. Is it going to be open-air, ie. not airconditioned; only fans?

What you call 'basic Thai' is rather vague and indicates a lack of awareness of what people really like and the variations. There's people from different parts of Thailand living and working in Pattaya so check if there's an option for a niche Thai cuisine. For example, you can do a generic pad thai that pales in comparison to the one that the small street stall down the street makes ONLY. Another example would be kanom jeen which is very popular but a very selective taste for most aficionados. Do a study on what's available on the street that you will be competing with both fixed restaurants and those semi-mobile carts. If it's already being done then you need to make sure that your version is better or else don't include it in the menu.

Don't discount the takeaway trade as well, especially during the rush hours. In my experience, it can make up over 50% of a typical days business. If you do a particular popular dish well, the locals will happily ride a bike several blocks to take home something CONSISTENTLY good. Don't count on the local expats and tourists stopping for more than a khao pat or pad krapao gai... and make sure you have LARGE bottles of Archa, just for them

Good to have a cook that's in the family as he can ride herd on the the other (at least) 2 cooks you will need with the crowds that you are anticipating. Also good if there's family involved even if it's just waiting on orders or doing the washing up. Your OP indicated that your girlfriend had only experience as a restaurant cashier with no clue about a operating the kitchen.

• Like 2

I'm not going to tell you not to do it, because you have already made up your mind.

What I will tell you is when it comes to Thai food, you need to keep your overhead as low as possible. The overkill I see when it comes to Farang we want things to be real nice this does not mean the place needs to be a dump. One of my favorite Thai food places, outdoors, clean, service is fast and food is fresh and reasonably priced. The place is pack daily from the moment it opens at 10am to the time it closes at 4pm. I believe this place clears easily 30,000 baht a day. Does not even have one commercial equipment using coolers with Ice delivered daily.

If you are looking for 2nd hand stainless steel equipment there are a few on Sukhumvit, here is one for sure.. heading North just past the New Home Pro,, start to slow down there is one on the left.. you will see all the equipment on the sidewalk. First I suggest you go to a new store like the one near Tony Gym on 3rd Road. From Pattaya Tai going down 3rd Road past Tony Gym it is on the right. This will give you a comparison of new and old. What I have found is they want high prices even of old stuff so you need to know the prices.. Your Thai Wife/GF, will need to use their skills, play hardball even if you have make them think you are going to walk.

Don't get too fancy.. the objective first is not to show off but to bring them in and make money.

THANKS

i think i know the place your talking about on soi buakhao across from lk metro ? this place is buzzing day and night. we have both sat and took account of how many customers this place is turning and yesterday alone within 2 hours there was approx 100-200 people in there !! i have watched this place for a year now , i have seen 70 people in there with another 10-15 outide queing up to go in and even people coming for takeaway. this place is making good money for thai standards, this place does not even have any big hotel or hospital close by only beer bars and gogo bars .

so hospital staff will be enough in my view let alone 1000,s of thais and farangs who are staying in nearby hotels. 99% of all my friends in pattaya all love thai style food, all love to go to a place where they can get a decent plate of thai good and a cheap beer. most work offshore and spend lots of money here on holiday so cheap charlies they are not

sorry but not the place I'm referring too, this place is 100% venture by Thai.. and is now where in a major location, it is way down towards the government office down in Nongprue Banglamung. in a neighborhood.. It has no major appliances and overhead is low and I mean low, The only electrical she uses is for all the fans. Less than a few minutes your first dish is already on the table, the turn over is nothing I have seen before.

• Like 2

Your girlfriend is going to be the manager. So let her manage.

Assuming she is Thai, if she can't even find a couple of cooks and some tables and chairs you are bang in trouble before you even start.

You are posting on an English language forum for answers that any sensible Thai could provide in 1 day.

• Like 2

One statistic you may not be familiar with is that restaurants,, ( excluding franchises ), globally,have the highest rate of failure of all businesses. Latest figures indicate of every 100 opening

today, only 7 will remain after 5 years.

Edited by fred Kubasa
  • Like 1

And one with a lot less money, give him six months and it will be all over.

What STYLE of Thai restaurant? How big is it? Where exactly will it be.

You will need a lot of advice but without the basic information above, all you'll get is the red ar5e from this lot

thankyou, your right, i knew you were right even before i made the post . water off a ducks back after years on tv.

girlfriend and family will run this place, after i help oin next few weeks i will walk away and wash my hands from it . it for her only.

so back to basic questions , where to buy cookers , frideges , tables and chairs etc in bkk or pattaya ???????????????????????

• Like 1

I can probably guarantee you will be saying goodbye to your cash. You call posters "bums" but perhaps we have seen farangs funding a birds project that always fails, I am one who has seen it.

I will add, where I live, a nice spot up country, Thais and farangs open these eating places and close after a short period, folk take over the business and they fail....

You will have to sell a lot of noodles to even pay the rent, staff, ingredients etc..

Remember, noooooo loss to your bird if it fails, cost her nothing....whistling.gif

Fools never use common sense, they only learn by experience.

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.

People are doubtful .... s...... i saw many foreigner doing business...And the problem is about the business they are doing....like opening a bar? a gogo bar? a restaurant? a small X shop ...it is really good to want to do so...but you need the good idea ...

I got a friend ...he own a bar...and he look like he do not want to be rich..i guess he want the company of the other farang .....he play his role to get farang customer... i said to him i will be very simple .i just want beautiful woman working at your bar....no matter what they are...i just need the presence of woman.... and he understood...but he said it is very hard to do so...but i said you wanted that shop ...So do your job and bring the customers what they want...... so he doesnt care about being rich..i guess he just want to be busy .... so it is legitimate to say i want to do a business ..but you have to be smart and to find the perfect idea .....

It is a bit disturbing that you are looking for personal .... i guess you should already have them by asking to your wife...She got family..cousin ..relative....work with the family... it is best that way to be sure they will do the work correctly !!!!!

And try to do a No Alcohol restaurant ...it will make it unique and cops wont disturb you ;)

• Like 1

... And try to do a No Alcohol restaurant ...it will make it unique and cops wont disturb you wink.png

Many Thai's like beer with their lunch and dinner so being booze-free could mean the OP's girlfriend having a uniquely empty restaurant on Buakhao. Getting an alcohol license is cheap and easy. It's not the cops that check on licensing anyway.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

... And try to do a No Alcohol restaurant ...it will make it unique and cops wont disturb you wink.png

Many Thai's like beer with their lunch and dinner so being booze-free could mean the OP's girlfriend having a uniquely empty restaurant on Buakhao. Getting an alcohol license is cheap and easy. It's not the cops that check on licensing anyway.

empty? lol..Depend... they are easy to satisfy.... no need beer..but thanks for sharing your idea.

The cops came to a place near me and told them no beer until 5pm....Feeeerked the business...GONE.....

beer leo 1 bottle from makro 47 baht sells for 110 baht , 50 customers per day = profit 3650 per day and per month 109500

50 small leo selling for 50 baht, daily profit approx 1000 and per month 30000

bowl pad kapaow with an egg and rice. cost to make 15. selling at 60 baht. based on 50 plates per day 2250 and per month 67500

bowl tum yam gai , cost to make 15 sell at 70 baht ( ususally sells 80-100 baht ) 55 baht profit , per day 2750 and per month 82500

bottle nestle water cost in makro 4 baht each selling for 15 baht, profit per day based again on 50 is 550 per month 16500.

based on only 50 customers a day.......... yes optimistic but ive sat and watched these other 2 resturaunts and they are turning out 150 plus customers plus per day easy. the guy across from lk metro took over 100 customers in 2-3 hours the other day , i sat counting in the bar opposite.

hospital staff obviously will not have a beer the beer is based on the foreign guys who want a cheap place to eat on buakao. hospital across rd with staff number around probably 1000 or more and other hospital next door is opening soon so that is main reason for me to be optimistic about this.

ive seen guys on tv being put down for opening a laundry, guys abused for opening a bar so if we are all fools we would all be living in mud huts eating grass wouldnt we .

• Like 2