Best automatic scooter ?

TobSlobSlai

On 12/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Because its 98,500 baht...   

.... but to answer your question more directly.... IMO the TriCity is safer.. not  superior....  with regards to the rest of the bike its as good as any other similarly styled bike out there... but the two front wheels with ABS make the big difference for me, so its specially that aspect which make it a better bike from my view point. 

....  others may not place the same value on safety with such a planted and secure front end... But for my first bike, I, however, did and the additional cost was not a concern... 

Agree completely i own the 125 model and love the stability when one wheel hits a pothole and the other tracks true plus the triple disk brakes are excellent,i will upgrade to the 155 in the future

On 10/31/2018 at 7:23 PM, LammyTS1 said:

Which model of Vespa do you have?

Strange, when I first got here, I rented a PCX to take me on a 80km trip. Steering and suspension was terrible. I admit, it was a rental bike but had only done 20k kms and the suspension was gone! The handlebar position means you are riding with bent arms :-). I know many people buy a new pcx and then replace the suspension and handlebars, but why should you on a new bike?

All current models of Vespa’s I’ve owned, have better suspension, better handling in city traffic, can cruise comfortably for 100’s of kms.

You get what you pay for, simples.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

125 but the small wheels really do make it unstable still unsure what to go for next

Sure... enjoy your honda click... Yawn... its better value for the money... but so is a second hand bike... 

The two front wheels with ABS add and exponentially elevated level of safety, particularly for new riders, especially in the wet... I've seen so many bikes get dropped in wet when the front wheel breaks away under braking... two wheels with ABS add an unparalleled level of front end grip - how much value would you place on your safety?

It may not make much difference for an experienced rider... but as newbie (as I was when I purchased the Tricity) I researched a huge amount, the TriCity was the clear winner....  (when not overly concerned about 50k or 100k)...

ABS is certainly a good idea, having two wheels at the front just makes you look like a biker who can't balance with one

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 4:18 PM, alx123 said:

IMo, not really. lighter weights will only increase the PCX low end acceleration but the top end will remain the same or worst lower if you use too light weights.

The Yamaha got a few advantage in displacement, horsepower and overall curb weight.

i was referring to acceleration as weights will not increase top end.  the nmax revs much higher when accelerating therfore i think lighter weights...

Edited by losworld

21 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

Lighter rollers increase low end acceleration and heavier rollers increase high end/top speed.

This is partially wrong

Lighter rollers make the engine rev higher, resulting in a quicker acceleration and higher fuel consumption. If you use rollers that are too light you won't reach the top speed of the bike anymore

Heavier rollers make the engine rev lower, resulting in a slower acceleration and less fuel consumption. They would only increase the top speed if the stock rollers were too light to reach the top speed, i don't see a reason for the manufacturer to do this unless for legal top speed restrictions, which do not exist in Thailand.

So the optimum for performance are rollers that are just heavy enough to reach the top speed of the bike

Edited by jackdd

23 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

Lighter rollers increase low end acceleration and heavier rollers increase high end/top speed.
If you want the advantages of both, then a sports variator kit is required.

Can you name the better performing sports variator kits and point me to the websites that sell them?

This is partially wrong Lighter rollers make the engine rev higher, resulting in a quicker acceleration and higher fuel consumption. If you use rollers that are too light you won't reach the top speed of the bike anymore Heavier rollers make the engine rev lower, resulting in a slower acceleration and less fuel consumption. They would only increase the top speed if the stock rollers were too light to reach the top speed, i don't see a reason for the manufacturer to do this unless for legal top speed restrictions, which do not exist in Thailand. So the optimum for performance are rollers that are just heavy enough to reach the top speed of the bike        

You are correct in regards to fuel consumption & revs, but a machined/sports variator with std weight rollers produces all round improvements with standard weight rollers. I have changed variators and rollers in 4 of my bikes.  

I have a machined stock variator with lighter rollers in my 150, changed from 12g to 3x10g/3x8.5g, producing far quicker acceleration(higher revs) & a higher top speed(119 std to 124kph).

I have a mallossi variator in my 125 with same standard weight rollers, producing quicker acceleration(higher revs) until mid range, whereupon it excels & produces a higher top speed(105 std to 115kph).

I have a Yuminashi variator in another 125, rollers changed from std 10g to heavier 12g. Slower acceleration(revs lower) but slightly better mid to top end & a higher top speed(97 std to 107kph).

I have a Mallossi variator in a 180 2-stroke with std 15g rollers, producing far quicker acceleration all the way thru to a 20% increase in top speed from 116 to 140kph, but that’s a good ole 2 stroke!

Can you name the better performing sports variator kits and point me to the websites that sell them?

Mallossi, Polini are both tried and trusted. Have also heard great things about Jcosta. All 3 are expensive as European but with great performance gains.
Yuminashi here in Thailand produce kits for higher top speeds but lose a bit acceleration. They are quite cheap.