Credit Card Madness

background info: currently employed in china. in thailand on tourist visa

waiver, and now on extension. managed to open a bank account with

just my passport and tourist visa! will SWIFT the required funds next

month to allow for 3-month ripening. will apply in china where i have

residence permit for either marriage or retirement visa....depending.

alternate reality option is to take new bride back to china for a year

or two........before returning to thailand to retire.

How readily can you afford to clear her debt ?

You say you are possibly getting hitch, so she appears to be a keeper but has this debt issue.

An option could be: Pay of Her Debt, leave her with one 'emergency' credit card, cancel all the rest - agree that you see the Credit Card bill each month. In fact you could go a step further, become a second Card Holder, so it looks less strange that you want to see her CC statement each month.

IF you are so inclined you could also have her pay you back, but without the 20-28% interest the Banks are charging.

• Like 2

How much sinsot was she asking for when you "possibly get hitched in the future"? Sounds like she's already working on her solution.

Your solution should be getting her to talk to family first to see if she can get any support in clearing the debts. This may include borrowing on other terms/ different products on her behalf with lower rates, as credit cards have about the highest rates going.

Talk to the banks concerned. Come clean and see what they say

from what i read, individuals cannot declare bankruptcy if debts total less than

one million baht. ...... maybe i should get her to charge more stuff?

she is NOT asking me for money. i kept tripping over the piles of monthly

credit card statements.

i don't see her as a scammer. just someone from a culture with no education

provided in personal finance, and a live-for-today attitude. or am i missing

something? are thais famous for their intricate planning and attention to detail?

not the same mistake six or ten or whatever times.....a continuous attempt to

juggle multiple cards, moving cash back and forth to try to meet the deadlines.

same thing happens to many folks in the west as well.

i'm not going to pay off her loans. her responsibility....if she defaults, she has

to live with the consequences. for her that would be a bad credit rating and no

credit cards. but the banks will also have to live with their irresponsible lending.

did convince her to call the legal office number on the collection letter i tripped

over. they've agreed to a 50% settlement to close the account.

one down.

i might could offer to lend her the money to pay one-time settlements for her

delinquent accounts. in the meantime, i have taken away her credit cards....

• Like 2

I love the credit card laws here in Thailand ,a young lady like this with no money can have 6 credit cards ,but when i asked the bank for one ,(i have quite a lot in this particular bank) so that i could pay for my airfares etc online which i cannot do with a debit card , not a hope , amazing Thailand .wink.png

Well that is a nice lie, because the major banks in Thailand will issue a credit card to foreigner on the condition that you put the limit amount in a fixed deposit account.

from what i read, individuals cannot declare bankruptcy if debts total less than

one million baht. ...... maybe i should get her to charge more stuff?

she is NOT asking me for money. i kept tripping over the piles of monthly

credit card statements.

i don't see her as a scammer. just someone from a culture with no education

provided in personal finance, and a live-for-today attitude. or am i missing

something? are thais famous for their intricate planning and attention to detail?

not the same mistake six or ten or whatever times.....a continuous attempt to

juggle multiple cards, moving cash back and forth to try to meet the deadlines.

same thing happens to many folks in the west as well.

i'm not going to pay off her loans. her responsibility....if she defaults, she has

to live with the consequences. for her that would be a bad credit rating and no

credit cards. but the banks will also have to live with their irresponsible lending.

did convince her to call the legal office number on the collection letter i tripped

over. they've agreed to a 50% settlement to close the account.

one down.

i might could offer to lend her the money to pay one-time settlements for her

delinquent accounts. in the meantime, i have taken away her credit cards....

The easiest in terms of least financially taxing, way to clear the debt is for her to default and get taken to court. In court she will pledge an amount 100 baht a month per card, for the next 20 years. Obviously having 6 cards this will involve 6 court appearances, but without either you or the family paying the debt in full or part, or her winning the lottery she will be lumbered with the debt.

Obviously she will lose face and be blacklisted.

• Like 1

I love the credit card laws here in Thailand ,a young lady like this with no money can have 6 credit cards ,but when i asked the bank for one ,(i have quite a lot in this particular bank) so that i could pay for my airfares etc online which i cannot do with a debit card , not a hope , amazing Thailand .wink.png

Although I agree in principle with you about the credit cards, you can get a credit card if you put an equal amount into a fixed deposit or you can get an online debit card that allows you to do online transactions (K bank had both options). It is however not easier to get a credit card elsewhere in the world if you aren't at least a resident of that country (try to get one in Singapore or US).

Boy, you picked a good'un, though on reflection your arrival on the scene was probably serendipitous, if you take my meaning.

If your paramour has no understanding either of the value of money or of personal responsibility, one wonders what future you foresee together?

In order of preference, I'd solve the problem either by:

1. Walking away from the relationship, or

2. Looking into Thai personal bankruptcy laws, or

3. Moving abroad together and never coming back, or

4. Grinning and bearing it together, and suffering years of arguments