New scam at Suvarnabhumi

Brer Fox

Bangkok Air flies to Melbourne now ?

As far as I'm aware they don't even fly to Vietnam anymore and have never flown to Hanoi, so this story already starts off strange.

I think the OP meant THAI Airways, which flies to both Hanoi AND Melbourne and almost certainly 99.5% of passengers travelling this route would be flying with THAI, given it's a through service on the same carrier. I've never heard of anyone changing carriers in BKK when one carrier can take you all the way, it's much more expensive to purchase separate tickets too and then there would be the issue about how your luggage would be transferred.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly stated in Singapore also no booze for Skippy,s on flights,

Difference between the whining of a Jet engine & an Aussie whining,, y can turn the Jet Engine off ????

You have to watch TV programme Declared Down Under.. Seems almost everything is prohibited into to AUS,

Strang how plenty of beef comes out though

The duty free shop should have explained the rules. I tried to buy a 50baht wooden pencil at Swampy and the salesgirl told me "You cannot buy, wood not allowed in Australia".

I read something about pencils banned in Aus, what's up with that?

As we all get older our grip becomes less strong

So if you drop the bottle you surely can not be wrong

No one will get down to drink it, so you've told the cops to stick it.

Oops solly,solly, me lose glip.

But really the answer is don't give them chance to confiscate.

They know what they are doing and probably have an arrangement to sell it back to the DF shop and even at 50% they have made a profit on your loss.

In this case the OP was Australian so I suppose it is reasonable that he should know the rules of his own country. However, I can still smell a rat with this. The duty free shop should either not have sold the goods based on a scan of his boarding pass, or the goods should have been delivered to the gate for him as per the rule. Clearly this is the duty free shop which has made the "mistake". I have read many posts regarding this particular duty free shop allegedly participating in scams (who says they didn't collude with the security guys) so I have to say on balance I have to sympathize with the OP. If the duty free shop had done their job properly then there would be no need for security officials to confiscate any goods prior to boarding.

Sorry, so it is the responsibility of the duty free shop to deliver the purchased good to the gate for hold storage? Serious question, i don't fly long haul anything as much as i used to, but cannot remember ever having a duty free shop deliver anything for me to the gate.

Throughout this thread, scam or no scam, nobody seems to have addressed the carrier in all the suggestions. Would it not clear up a whole lot of misunderstanding if the carrier staff, at check-in (along with the 'did you pack the bag yourself', etc, etc) either mention the duty free limitations or issue a slip of paper with the restrictions noted for each destination country they fly to?

Prevention of a problem is always better than trying to sort one out..........................wink.png

Yes there are a few countries that insist on an additional security screening check of carry-on luggage at the departure gate for all flights to that country. All flights to Australia perform this check. So if you are transiting through an airport onward to Australia all your duty free liquids over 100ml will be confiscated. If the Bangkok duty free sales assistant is thoughtful they might tell you this or refuse to sell your the liquor. I don't see this as a scam.

Actually you can board an aircraft with duty free liquids over 100 mL .... BUT they must be delivered to you plane side as you're boarding the plane.

If you were scammed, it was the vendor who sold you the goods and didn't arrange to have them delivered to you plane side.

In this case the OP was Australian so I suppose it is reasonable that he should know the rules of his own country. However, I can still smell a rat with this. The duty free shop should either not have sold the goods based on a scan of his boarding pass, or the goods should have been delivered to the gate for him as per the rule. Clearly this is the duty free shop which has made the "mistake". I have read many posts regarding this particular duty free shop allegedly participating in scams (who says they didn't collude with the security guys) so I have to say on balance I have to sympathize with the OP. If the duty free shop had done their job properly then there would be no need for security officials to confiscate any goods prior to boarding.

Sorry, so it is the responsibility of the duty free shop to deliver the purchased good to the gate for hold storage? Serious question, i don't fly long haul anything as much as i used to, but cannot remember ever having a duty free shop deliver anything for me to the gate.

Throughout this thread, scam or no scam, nobody seems to have addressed the carrier in all the suggestions. Would it not clear up a whole lot of misunderstanding if the carrier staff, at check-in (along with the 'did you pack the bag yourself', etc, etc) either mention the duty free limitations or issue a slip of paper with the restrictions noted for each destination country they fly to?

Prevention of a problem is always better than trying to sort one out..........................wink.png

Let me give you an example. If you fly internationally from SFO-NRT from the international terminal the duty free shops are happy to sell you liquids such as booze or perfume. Right before you board the plane there is a little area in the Jetway where your goods will be delievered. Not at the shop! Now if you are actually transiting NRT to SIN for example when you go through transit security your liquids will be confiscated.

You may instead clear immigration and customs and proceed to the ticket counter to make other arrangements but I doubt it would be economical or feasible timewise.

This has been the rule and is clearly stated with a 2 minute Google search.

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx

Don't have liquids, aerosols or gels in containers larger than 100 millilitres in your possession. You will have to surrender these at the security screening point in order to board your aircraft.
Purchase duty free at your last airport before Australia, but make sure it is delivered to the boarding gate. Alternatively, purchase duty free items onboard the last leg of the flight to Australia. Have your duty free items in their sealed plastic bag ready for screening upon arrival at the Australian international gateway airport transit screening point. Don't carry duty free purchased at another airport through the screening point, as it will not be allowed on flights to Australia. You risk having to surrender these items. Only duty free delivered to the boarding gate will be allowed onboard flights to Australia.

Really incredible.

It took longer for the OP to write his rant than finding the facts on the web.

Just makes one wonder what is up with folks these days. I guess they just love whining conspiracy stories where they are the victim?

duty free or not has nothing to do with it.

you can't board an aircraft with liquid over the stated regulations. it does not matter if you have already been searched or not. if they are found on the plane you also forfeit.

same goes for any other prohibited items you may be carrying.

Edit: Double post

The duty free shop should have explained the rules. I tried to buy a 50baht wooden pencil at Swampy and the salesgirl told me "You cannot buy, wood not allowed in Australia".

Finally! THAT explains why there are so many folks from Oz keeping the bar Girl Economy afloat in Pattaya!

you can't board an aircraft with liquid over the stated regulations. it does not matter if you have already been searched or not. if they are found on the plane you also forfeit.

Complete nonsense, I've had 2 lt on board plenty of flights and no questions ever asked. BKK and some other airports they can't provide a secure environment but there's no issues doing so at KLIA and I'm guessing others with a decent security arrangement, have done it many times.

You purchase at the DF shop, pick up after boarding gate security, walk on board, simple.

Yes there are a few countries that insist on an additional security screening check of carry-on luggage at the departure gate for all flights to that country. All flights to Australia perform this check. So if you are transiting through an airport onward to Australia all your duty free liquids over 100ml will be confiscated. If the Bangkok duty free sales assistant is thoughtful they might tell you this or refuse to sell your the liquor. I don't see this as a scam.

post-253593-0-72736400-1454573550_thumb.

Duty free this year delivered at the gate, my flight was direct to Australia from BKK

This has been the rule and is clearly stated with a 2 minute Google search.

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx

Don't have liquids, aerosols or gels in containers larger than 100 millilitres in your possession. You will have to surrender these at the security screening point in order to board your aircraft.
Purchase duty free at your last airport before Australia, but make sure it is delivered to the boarding gate. Alternatively, purchase duty free items onboard the last leg of the flight to Australia. Have your duty free items in their sealed plastic bag ready for screening upon arrival at the Australian international gateway airport transit screening point. Don't carry duty free purchased at another airport through the screening point, as it will not be allowed on flights to Australia. You risk having to surrender these items. Only duty free delivered to the boarding gate will be allowed onboard flights to Australia.

I guess you were not scammed

Each week on TV we get numerous "scam" alerts that turn out to be Khun Farang confused and uniformed. There should be a separate forum for scam alerts ... or maybe they should go straight to the Farang Pub forum.

Seems that King Power should refuse the sale on examination of boarding cards showing the passenger is bound for Australia and put up warning notices but ultimately it is the responsibility of those wishing to fly to Australia to inform themselves about any special Australian regulations. No doubt the officials just re-sell the goods back to King Powerat at a discount. Nice business for all except the passenger but ultimately they have taken advantage of a situation that has been created by the Australian government.

Maybe KingPower and security had something going for Valentines Day but I can tell you I tried to buy whiskey in Kings last year and the shop attendant actually asked me where I was going. When I said Australia I was told I couldn't take it on the plane because of Australian regulations.

If you do take photos just make sure everybody is pointing in the same direction or they are considered invalidwink.png

Scam or no scam, stupid post or informative post, for me it is an informative post and a reminder to just keep walking past these so called duty free shops as If they are not there.

Bottom Line:; They scanned your boarding card, knew you destination and still sold it to you and gave it to you to carry away when they shouldn't have.

So we have a bunch of ridiculous and contridictory regulations against air travellers and then duty free stores who want to sell.

The problem here is the typical bigotry which is always present in Thai visa posts, that somehow one is constantly scammed, to divvy up the proceeds for personal use. "Smirking in a position of power as only Thais" can do. Really? It is a little more complicated here when security staff are actually trying to do their job.

In a normal situation confiscated valuables are auctioned or destroyed.

Anyway all these stupid rules about liquid are made by monkeys because scanners that can detect and analyze any kind of liquid exist and are available to purchase for any officials that are no totally retarded !

For a scanner to work effectively you would have to have clear access to the liquid.....many liquor bottles are tinted rendering any optical scanning useless. Would you advocate that customers open the bottle and pour out a shot for the customs staff ?

Finally! THAT explains why there are so many folks from Oz keeping the bar Girl Economy afloat in Pattaya!

Bar girls sell pencils?

Here's another airport scam at Bangkok to be wary of... If you see something/anything unattended don't take it. I.e. Cell phone, envelop with money, etc.. It's a set up. They even have farangs in on it. And cctv on you constantly. Spread the word. I've heard of three people caught in that trap. Two being blacklisted for 5 years and extorted money. And the most recent Brit envelop of money. Smells fishy as well.

wrong i brought bottle samsong at airport was put into sealed plastic bang as long as the flight is direct as mine was bkk lhr eva air i boarded the plane with it in hand with my hand luggauge and nobody said any thing i done this also at LHR to bkk irish whisky after secruity and duty free inside was also in sealed plastic bag and tok it on the plane with me just told not to open the bag or drink it

wrong i brought bottle samsong at airport was put into sealed plastic bang as long as the flight is direct as mine was bkk lhr eva air i boarded the plane with it in hand with my hand luggauge and nobody said any thing i done this also at LHR to bkk irish whisky after secruity and duty free inside was also in sealed plastic bag and tok it on the plane with me just told not to open the bag or drink it

LHR is not in Australia.

Not always Sipi. Staff work on commission so either through greed or disinterest they will sometimes sell alcohol etc.

Several times I have seen the Thai staff at the boarding gate checkpoint take the passengers back to get a refund

Here's another airport scam at Bangkok to be wary of... If you see something/anything unattended don't take it. I.e. Cell phone, envelop with money, etc.. It's a set up. They even have farangs in on it. And cctv on you constantly. Spread the word. I've heard of three people caught in that trap. Two being blacklisted for 5 years and extorted money. And the most recent Brit envelop of money. Smells fishy as well.

So don't steal anyone's phone or money?

Ok then.

Let me give you an example. If you fly internationally from SFO-NRT from the international terminal the duty free shops are happy to sell you liquids such as booze or perfume. Right before you board the plane there is a little area in the Jetway where your goods will be delievered. Not at the shop! Now if you are actually transiting NRT to SIN for example when you go through transit security your liquids will be confiscated.

You may instead clear immigration and customs and proceed to the ticket counter to make other arrangements but I doubt it would be economical or feasible timewise.

OK, thanks for that. i seriously didn't know, so, for at least one person, the thread has been educational.....................wai.gif

Australia is full of bullshit laws, I returned to Australia a month ago for one week stay, I had 4 packets of cigarettes (not cartons) two packets were confiscated at customs , only 2 packets per person are allowed. I wonder who is screwing who ? There are 20 million people in Aust and 40 million laws, not to mention rules, by laws, regulations , infringements if that's not bullshit I wonder what bullshit is.

Archived