New scam at Suvarnabhumi

Brer Fox

It may not be a "Scam" but something is not right about this. If it is not allowed to take duty free liquids into the plane cabin, why does the duty free shop, located after baggage check in, allow such goods to be sold. When making payment the boarding card has to be shown which should surely flag a warning to the sales staff that the products being purchased would not be allowed on the flight. Maybe not a Scam but certainly unethical. OOoops! I forgot, all duty free at Swampy is controlled by King Power.

could be the same reason they grab people who wander off the walkway boundry for shoplifting, then police ask for a bribe for the infraction.

Except "they" don't do that. Another urban myth!

Tell that to "Stephen Ingram and Xi Lin"

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may not be a "Scam" but something is not right about this. If it is not allowed to take duty free liquids into the plane cabin, why does the duty free shop, located after baggage check in, allow such goods to be sold. When making payment the boarding card has to be shown which should surely flag a warning to the sales staff that the products being purchased would not be allowed on the flight. Maybe not a Scam but certainly unethical. OOoops! I forgot, all duty free at Swampy is controlled by King Power.

could be the same reason they grab people who wander off the walkway boundry for shoplifting, then police ask for a bribe for the infraction.

According to the MFA, everything regarding that case was in accordance with Thai law. They were shoplifting.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/announcements/facts-about-the-alleged-thailand-airport-scam

Even if it was a scam, it's hardly a regular occurrence.

According to the MFA, everything regarding that case was in accordance with Thai law. They were shoplifting.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/announcements/facts-about-the-alleged-thailand-airport-scam

Was the Bt.340,000 in accordance with the law ?.

Was the Bt.340,000 in accordance with the law ?.

No idea, I'm neither Thai nor a lawyer. I just quoted the MFA response to the "scam". Either way, it doesn't appear to happen regularly.

This is nothing new and I don't blame Thailand for this. The ones scamming you is Australia. Making you buy the duty free products in Aus instead of buying abroad.

Perfectly fine to travel from Australia with a bottle of booze or perfume but not into Australia? Hmmmmm

Flew into Oz from Singapore last month with a 150ml bottle of perfume. No problem

This is nothing new and I don't blame Thailand for this. The ones scamming you is Australia. Making you buy the duty free products in Aus instead of buying abroad.

Perfectly fine to travel from Australia with a bottle of booze or perfume but not into Australia? Hmmmmm

Flew into Oz from Singapore last month with a 150ml bottle of perfume. No problem

Yeah small bottles are fine.

No they don't.

BKK is a pain for this.

Changi lets you buy it & collect as you board - the goods are in a sealed bag. How the rules are followed varies by country and corruption level.

I've bought nothing in duty free for years due to this. Dan Murphy's often has similar to duty free prices anyway.

This happened to me when these rules were first brought in. Instead of handing over the items I had, I took them and emptied the bottles in toilet, I then took the empty bottles back to the boarding gate and gave them to the unimpressed security staff.

Why would you do something that was both wasteful and more hassle to you? Pure spite?

BINGO, Sherlock

duty free or not has nothing to do with it.

you can't board an aircraft with liquid over the stated regulations. it does not matter if you have already been searched or not. if they are found on the plane you also forfeit.

same goes for any other prohibited items you may be carrying.

I am surprised they let you out of the security area all to purchase anything..........but since they did, you are subject to 'the rules as they understand/fabricated them' Wonder what they would have done had you said - "okay, I accept that, take my checked bags off the plane and I'll catch another flight" by International Law, every checked bag has to have a flyer.........th airlines would have a shit fit and figure somthing out.

you can't board an aircraft with liquid over the stated regulations. it does not matter if you have already been searched or not. if they are found on the plane you also forfeit.

I am surprised they let you out of the security area all to purchase anything..........but since they did, you are subject to 'the rules as they understand/fabricated them' Wonder what they would have done had you said - "okay, I accept that, take my checked bags off the plane and I'll catch another flight" by International Law, every checked bag has to have a flyer.........th airlines would have a shit fit and figure somthing out.

That is exactly what they would do. It happens all the time (for various reasons) and doesn't take as long as you might think. The baggage loaders know pretty accurately where each passengers luggage is located.

Yep, happens frequently, mostly people dawdling in the shops or passed drunk.gif out in the Club.

And go ahead, be an pain at the departure gate. Involuntary denial of boarding does not always necessitate us taking time to remove your hold baggage.

Cheers.

II find it hard to believe that the OP contacted an Australian Government Department. This rule has been enforced for years. And is clearly stated as Government regulation.

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx

The OP is a dope, claims he travels all the time but doesn't have a clue about HIS countries rules. And bitches about the "smirking" Thais in the Land of Smiles. Maybe they were smirking at him because he is an idiot who cannot be told.

More problems with this hare-brained scheme. Do you think that catching another flight will be free? Will it be worth the price of the bottle you would have had to give up? (Also when one does not board a flight for whatever reason, you don't get stamped back in. You have to wait for Immigration to "Cancel" your exit stamp. That's right, and it takes forever. Been there, no fun.)

Then you get led back through the customs area where if they check your Duty-Free goods might again be confiscated if Customs determines they were intended for Export!!

• 1 month later...

It is acceptable in Singapore - they deliver the bagged goods to the gate & you collect at boarding. No reason at all the BKK can't do the same - other than they cannot resell the goods.

I will also point out that you can buy the same items duty free on the plane. What's the difference?

It can be a rule for as many years as you want but it is still stupid to sell good that you cannot bring in a plane.

Anyway, to confirm that the whole thing is a complete scam organized by monkeys just check google and you will find that Xray scanners that can tell WHAT KIND OF LIQUID IT IS exist fr a long time already.

Anybody who support these regulations is not worth better than them.

rolleyes.gif The regulations on not being allowed to carry any liquids in more that 100 ml containers have been a security rule for well over 3 years at least now.

From memory ... there are signs and posters at most airports including Swampy that indicate you cannot board any flight with liquids more than 100ml.

I thought this was common knowledge .....

I think the OP in incorrect as it doesn't matter where you got your items from .... you are not allowed more than 100ml ...

am I missing something here ?

I remember when this was implemented. On the very day I returned to Australia..fortunately on this instance they let me through (stuff was bagged up and given to me when I got to Oz). I guess everyone should know now, or at least be given written information stating the rules for returning passengers.

Are you totally dumb ?

Why do they sell liquid after checking if we cannot board with it ?

RIDICULOUS

From memory ... there are signs and posters at most airports including Swampy that indicate you cannot board any flight with liquids more than 100ml.

I think the OP in incorrect as it doesn't matter where you got your items from .... you are not allowed more than 100ml ...

Are you totally dumb ?

RIDICULOUS

you are wrong. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHEN OR WHERE YOU BUY THE LIQUID.

YOU CANNOT BOARD ANY AIRCRAFT WITH MORE THAN 100ml ........ This is common knowledge known by everyone ............... except you it seems ... whistling.gif

Thanks to people like you duty free shops can keep scamming innocent people, you are great !

I don't mind any ridiculous explanation, the only question is:

Are you totally dumb ?

RIDICULOUS

YOU CANNOT BOARD ANY AIRCRAFT WITH MORE THAN 100ml ........ This is common knowledge known by everyone ............... except you it seems ... whistling.gif

Are you totally dumb ?

RIDICULOUS

Sure you can, if it is in a secure anti tamper bag. But not to all destination countries though.

Thanks to people like you duty free shops can keep scamming innocent people, you are great !

I don't mind any ridiculous explanation, the only question is:

Are you totally dumb ?

RIDICULOUS

No need to shout and it is not a scam, most destinations allow you to take Duty Free onboard as long as its packaged correctly. Its the Aussies who put this rule in place, not Swampy Duty Free shops just so they can rip you off.

• 2 weeks later...

Normally under these circumstances if you want to buy duty free on stop over, the airport would seal the bag to prove it was a proper duty free purchase, also some airports will deliver the goods to the plane for you, but I dont think any airport would allow duties frees without some security control, I have seen a lady have all of her expensive cosmetics taken from her 1000+GBP. Airports take airport security very seriously.

Here is a pic of some people boarding a SFO-NRT flight. The man is there in the jet bridge entrance to deliver Duty-Free purchases of alcohol/liquids/perfume. There is none of this give a sealed bag and let you walk around the terminal on your own, delivering goods to all and sundry. Various countries and airlines have differing rules and ways to apply them and this is how it works at SFO. If one is in Hong Kong International Airport for example flying to a US destination the airside duty free shops will not sell you any liquids. Full stop.

If these people have a CONNECTING flight in Narita the liquids WILL be confiscated at the connecting security checkpoint. Passengers are warned again and again but I see it all the time. They just don't listen or maybe they are too stupid to understand but that is the reality and there is no corruption.

It is what it is. There is no scam at Suvarnabhumi airport regarding duty free sales on flights to Australia. The duty free shops there apparently sell to anybody who pays and they have not developed a plan to comply with the regulations enforced by Australia and the airline that fly there. The security agents are just doing their jobs. Not "smirking as only Thais in positions of power can do". Does the OP want airport security to not enforce regulations properly?

post-84769-0-89915900-1459826065_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Archived