New scam at Suvarnabhumi

Brer Fox

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you totally dumb ?

Why do they sell liquid after checking if we cannot board with it ?

RIDICULOUS

From memory ... there are signs and posters at most airports including Swampy that indicate you cannot board any flight with liquids more than 100ml.

I thought this was common knowledge .....

I think the OP in incorrect as it doesn't matter where you got your items from .... you are not allowed more than 100ml ...

am I missing something here ?

you are wrong. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHEN OR WHERE YOU BUY THE LIQUID.

YOU CANNOT BOARD ANY AIRCRAFT WITH MORE THAN 100ml ........ This is common knowledge known by everyone ............... except you it seems ... whistling.gif

Sure you can, if it is in a secure anti tamper bag. But not to all destination countries though.

Off-course you can travel with more then 100 Ml of liquid.

Even the secure sealed bag is not always required, It all depends on the destination and if it a non stop flight in some cases.

I travel many times to Europe and can take whatever i want with me from BKK.

As long it is a direct flight and I don't go over the allowed quantity of the destination country. (or take the risk off-course)

Security regulations at BKK always require that duty free purchases > 100 mL must be inside the sealed bag from the shop and you must have a receipt showing the purchase on the day of travel. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you carry more than 100 mL onboard, it was not purchased at duty free and is not inside the sealed, secured bag then you will obviously risk missing your flight and possibly even arrest if it is discovered, perhaps through random search as you are boarding. And if you didn't buy it at duty free, how did you get it through security screening anyway?

There are some destination countries and countries that will not allow > 100 mL duty free purchases to be carried on board. Have a look at the link below for all the details, including airlines and designation countries that have restrictions.

http://www.kingpower.com/en/lags

Security regulations at BKK always require that duty free purchases > 100 mL must be inside the sealed bag from the shop and you must have a receipt showing the purchase on the day of travel. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you carry more than 100 mL onboard, it was not purchased at duty free and is not inside the sealed, secured bag then you will obviously risk missing your flight and possibly even arrest if it is discovered, perhaps through random search as you are boarding. And if you didn't buy it at duty free, how did you get it through security screening anyway?

There are some destination countries and countries that will not allow > 100 mL duty free purchases to be carried on board. Have a look at the link below for all the details, including airlines and designation countries that have restrictions.

You are quoting the rules for when you are transferring at your destination airport.

If it is the final destination and the country traveling to has no special restriction there is no requirement to have your items in a sealed bag.

It is perfectly fine to take bought liquids (water bottles etc)which you bought at the airport with you into the airplane. (only some airline doesn't allow you to consume those things in the plane)

Only people departing to those special restricted countries (Australia etc)are or can be checked at the gate.

You are quoting the rules for when you are transferring at your destination airport.

If it is the final destination and the country traveling to has no special restriction there is no requirement to have your items in a sealed bag.

It is perfectly fine to take bought liquids (water bottles etc)which you bought at the airport with you into the airplane. (only some airline doesn't allow you to consume those things in the plane)

Only people departing to those special restricted countries (Australia etc)are or can be checked at the gate.

No, the guidance included in the link I posted are for "Liquids, Aerosols and Gels (LAGs) that passengers may take on board in their hand luggage on international flights", regardless of your destination airport or whether you are transferring or commencing your flight at BKK. These are from ICAO's rules regarding what you may take on an aircraft. if it is "perfectly fine" to take whatever you buy at the airport onto the plane, then what is the purpose of shops sealing bottles in clear plastic bags with the receipt enclosed?

​And for your information, anyone boarding a flight to anywhere can be randomly checked by airport security on their discretion at the gate or as they board the plane. Excluding flights to North America, I most recently saw this about six weeks ago at BKK when boarding a flight to ICN. Although I was not selected for hand baggage screening, I did see a water bottle come out of the bag of one guy that they had selected.

To quote from the link:

WHAT I CAN BRING IN MY HAND - CARRY BAGGAGE?

Your Duty-Free Shopping

• No restriction on sizes
  • Transparent plastic bag
  • Sealed Security Tamper-Evident Bag
  • Receipt with purchase date of the day of your travel must be displayed in the bag as proof of purchase
  • No restriction on the number of sealed security tamper-evident bags you can carry
  • Please do not open the plastic bag until you reach your final destination
  • Opening or tampering with the bag will result in confiscation of all items by airport security

Personal Hand-Carry Items

• Transparent plastic bag
  • Re-sealable
  • 100ml containers
  • Maximum 1 litre capacity (approx. 20cm x 20cm)
  • Only one bag is allowed per passenger

• 1 month later...

Free Valentines gifts for the crooked officials to keep for themselves

stuff that for a joke - but as a punishment to myself for my ignorance - I'll wear the bottle's content, emptied onto my head...

... just keep your hidden Lighter away from me

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2016 at 10:45 PM, thedemon said:

It has been this way for years and is an Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority regulation. Similar rules used to apply to US bound flights when the non-stop THAI BKK-JFK and BKK-LAX flights were still in operation.

Normally Kingpower won't sell you liquids outside the allowable limits. I have purchased perfumes prior to boarding and Aus bound flight and they have made sure that I bought nothing over 100ml and all could fit in a 1 Litre ziplock bag.

I guess Kingpower made a mistake in selling the liquids to you but the same thing would have happened had you bought the stuff in Vietnam prior to transiting BKK. No doubt Kingpower's position will be that it is ultimately your responsibility to be aware of the rules for carry-on to your destination.

I'm sure it was a very frustrating experience. Normally once you reach the gate at Suvarnabhumi there won't be time to return to the duty free to claim a refund. I guess you could copy that woman in China last year that, faced with the same situation, knocked back 1 litre bottle of Cognac before boarding. Unfortunately she passed out before making it to the aircraft though.

...kingpower made a mistake...

I would wonder whether all the kingpower staff are capable of remembering or wanting to remember or wanting to check these details according to country of destination etc.

On 04/02/2016 at 9:10 AM, arunsakda said:

The duty free shop should have explained the rules. I tried to buy a 50baht wooden pencil at Swampy and the salesgirl told me "You cannot buy, wood not allowed in Australia".

I read something about pencils banned in Aus, what's up with that?

About 15 years ago I went to Australia to visit my sons, stopping off in Bangkok for a couple of weeks en route. I bought some nice chopsticks there to take as a gift for my daughter-in-law. When I arrived in Adelaide, after being made to stand 'on the yellow line' - "YOU'RE NOT STANDING ON THE LINE! ON THE LINE, NOW!" - so we could be sniffed by the dogs, some guy started shouting about how all wooden items (among numerous other things he mentioned) must be declared. So I went to the desk and told them I had some chopsticks. Honestly, you would have thought I told him I had a couple of kilos of cocaine with me. A virtual interrogation. And I got off fairly lightly. An old Chinese couple behind me (wealthy, judging by the amount of gold she was wearing) were really getting the third degree about something, I know not what. Basically, the whole shower of officials there were utter pigs, who obviously got a big kick out of their power over the people passing through. I've never been treated with such contempt and disrespect by anyone, anywhere, in my whole life. And I've travelled a lot, and encountered some pretty rude officials in my time. But this lot really took the cake.

I lived and worked in Aus for most of the '70s, and I loved it; but after that experience (it was the first time I'd been back since) I swore I'd never set foot in that benighted, oppressive, pig-ignorant, controlling nanny state ever again.

Such a shame. It used to be such a great country. What happened?

On 8/6/2016 at 4:13 PM, nisakiman said:

I swore I'd never set foot in that benighted, oppressive, pig-ignorant, controlling nanny state ever again.

Don't sugar coat it.  Tell us how you really feel!

Gotta be honest.  After 50+ years of wishing I could travel to (and maybe even work in) Oz, I have lost all interest since I started reading TVF.  

Some of the YouTube documentaries making the rounds didn't help much, either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2016 at 8:46 AM, frimu said:

Why do you Australians put up with all that overregulation nonsense? Can't you hand a petition to your government to stop this?

There are three levels of government in Australia - Federal, State and Local. All eagerly producing regulations to justify their existence. If a government department in Australia underspends its yearly budget, next year's budget is cut. One of the reasons I live in Thailand.

A petition?:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, bazza40 said:

There are three levels of government in Australia - Federal, State and Local. All eagerly producing regulations to justify their existence. If a government department in Australia underspends its yearly budget, next year's budget is cut. One of the reasons I live in Thailand.

A petition?:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I phoned the relevant Federal Department and questioned this alleged Australian policy and regulations about the reasons for the confiscation of beverages purchased (and sealed) from a duty free shop not 50 metres from the boarding gate at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Two of the people I spoke with in the Department knew nothing about the policy and suggested I write an email seeking clarification. I wrote such an email and as part of the reply they said it was to protect passengers flying to Australia. When I questioned why they allow liquor on board planes leaving Australia they responded by claiming that Australian Duty Free shops were "sterile" whatever that means.

It probably won't surprise you but to give you an idea of the level of intelligence of these idiots running these Australian Departments they wrote suggesting I first go to the duty free shop within the airport to buy my alcohol and then return and put it inside my check-in luggage (as if that is possible and inflammable liquid???) so I would not have to carry it on board thus avoiding having it confiscated at the boarding gate. 

Bureaucracy by moronic Australians has no bounds. Take note Australian Embassy, Bangkok you should be interested in this Australian supported scam at Suvarnabhumi.

Well...You could have / should have cracked off the top of that  bottle of alcohol and Chugga-Lugged the whole bottle right in front of them......Ahhhhhhhhh....Want some????..yuk...yuk

Seriously

There was a guy I knew during years gone by who would have done just that rather than surrender the bottle while more than likely the security people would have been impressed enough to laugh it off and tell the man: You can now board......"Sir".

At parties, over the years, several times I witnessed that guy crack off the top of a 26 oz bottle of hard liquor and drink the whole bottle in record time...just for laughs while people cheered him on as he could drink a copious amount of alcohol and move about as if he was completely sober.

Yes sir....  I am certain that is what he would have done in the same situation...lol

Cheers

I'm surprised at how many "uninformed replies" (to say the least) were made to the OP by people who obviously didn't read the first 3 posts.

BLA BLA BLA in the best case, everyone posts the half-knowledge they have from looking around and not fully understanding what they saw and in the worst case some regulations their minds made up along with judgemental statements...

It does make a feeling of doom come up.

I'm surprised at how many "uninformed replies" (to say the least) were made to the OP by people who obviously didn't read the first 3 posts.

BLA BLA BLA in the best case, everyone posts the half-knowledge they have from looking around and not fully understanding what they saw and in the worst case some regulations their minds made up along with judgemental statements...

It does make a feeling of doom come up.

On 03/02/2016 at 9:48 PM, lopburi3 said:

This has been the rule and is clearly stated with a 2 minute Google search.

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx

Buy your duty free  alcohol on arrival in Australia. In Brisbane one has to walk through the duty free shop

55 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Buy your duty free  alcohol on arrival in Australia. In Brisbane one has to walk through the duty free shop

Fair enough but you miss the point.

Suvarnarbhumi Airport is the only airport in the world that confiscates alcohol at the boarding gates for flights to Australia. For example if you were departing Suvarnarbhumi,  Bangkok, and purchased your duty free liquor at a duty free shop 50 metres the boarding lounge just five minutes before departure and it is sealed and you have a receipt the Thai security staff will confiscate it under the instruction of the Australian authorities. Of course the security staff cash in by selling it off to their mates.

Naturally smarties like yourself are welcome to buy it on arrival Australia but others are unaware and do what is internationally accepted practice and buy it before departure.

If the Australian authorities have decided that it is unsafe for alcohol in the overhead lockers on incoming flights from Bangkok then they should be consistent and ban it on flights exiting Australia going to Bangkok.

There are scams galore at  Suvanarbhumi but this one works particularly well for the security staff attending the departure gates for flights to Australia. All with the blessing of the Australian government.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:43 AM, Brer Fox said:

Fair enough but you miss the point.

Suvarnarbhumi Airport is the only airport in the world that confiscates alcohol at the boarding gates for flights to Australia. For example if you were departing Suvarnarbhumi,  Bangkok, and purchased your duty free liquor at a duty free shop 50 metres the boarding lounge just five minutes before departure and it is sealed and you have a receipt the Thai security staff will confiscate it under the instruction of the Australian authorities. Of course the security staff cash in by selling it off to their mates.

Naturally smarties like yourself are welcome to buy it on arrival Australia but others are unaware and do what is internationally accepted practice and buy it before departure.

If the Australian authorities have decided that it is unsafe for alcohol in the overhead lockers on incoming flights from Bangkok then they should be consistent and ban it on flights exiting Australia going to Bangkok.

There are scams galore at  Suvanarbhumi but this one works particularly well for the security staff attending the departure gates for flights to Australia. All with the blessing of the Australian government.

Not really a Suvarnarbhumi scam, more like overzealous Australian policy just being enforced.

All airports are required to follow this same procedure for Australian in-bound flights, perhaps more than quite a few airports choose to ignore this further enforcement.

You can purchase duty free items:

• at the last airport you stop at before entering Australia if the duty free retailer provides a gate delivery service

Unfortunately most airports cannot provide this type of service (if any) and I am unaware that Australian airports can either.

Therefore hypocrisy.

It really has nothing to do with safety by having alcohol in the overhead lockers.

If you are transiting through an international airport of another country before arriving into Australia, you will be subject to Australia's liquid, aerosol and gel restrictions before departing that airport. Any duty free items exceeding these restrictions will need to be surrendered. 

One that catches a great many NZ travelers out (many flights from NZ to Asia have an Australian pit stop - same plane- disembark and remove all hand baggage by order) is the following.

If you are transiting through Australia, you will be subject to liquid, aerosol and gel screening at the transit screening point in Australia before re-boarding for departure to your final destination. If the screening process is unable to clear your duty free items, you will need to surrender them.

I hate transiting through Australia, usually either Opal or I seem to get the rubber glove treatment.

On 6/5/2559 at 4:28 PM, PlastikbinLina said:
On 4/2/2559 at 8:23 AM, cgphuket said:

There is a store in BKK where they only sell items confiscated from passengers at either of the airports in BKK. Mostly perfume and booze....

And the location of this store is where---??

why do I have this feeling that somehow cgphuket wont be replying to this question with an address--?....(other than he was told about it from a secret source in a bar.....

But not to worry you got a like tick from Brer Fox .....its just amazing to me that both of you can manage to travel anywhere without setting alarms off with the amount of tinfoil in your hats...........:coffee1:

• I am in  BKK next week & would like to pick up some of Brer foxs expensive Perfume for the wife.....So, once again the location of this store is where---??

On 2/4/2016 at 8:23 AM, cgphuket said:

There is a store in BKK where they only sell items confiscated from passengers at either of the airports in BKK. Mostly perfume and booze....

Where is that? I don't mind benefiting from stupidity.

OT: this happened to my wife flying to Europe via Doha (?) with QUATAR. Nice racket, huh? The shop's salesteam was in on it and I darkly recall them taking the stuff back to the shop. They fleeced a lot of people. I had asked her to buy a liter bottle...

52 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There are several stalls at Chatuchak that sell stuff stolen from the airlines themselves; business class toiletries, branded airline products etc. 

Really?

What section number?

In the UK at Manchester Airport here are the rules (because I have asked):

You may NOT take liquids of more than 100ml on to a plane. No if's and no buts. (Only diabetic pens are allowed with a letter from your Doctor) - letter not always needed.

The fact that duty free will happily sell you a litre or two of whisky is irrelevant. Those are the rules.

Now that the facts have been laid out, heres the loophole.

If you have a direct flight from Bangkok to London Heathrow and you have no connections, then you have already cleared security. You bags have been security cleared, so anything you purchase will not be checked again.  So if you buy a litre of Johnny Walker Black Label (Other whiskey are available), then you can put it in your hand luggage and when you get London Heathrow, you can take it home with you, and consume with at your leisure with extreme pleasure.

However. If you are flying Emirates, Qatar, Etihad etc and board at Bangkok and buy the same bottle, you will have to TRANSIT through another country, which means your bags will have to clear security again. In doing so, the original ruling stating that no liquids are allowed on the plane comes back to bite you on the bum.

So in short heres the facts.

Are you on a direct flight to your destination or will you be passing through another country to board another flight ?

Direct Flight = OK to buy and enjoy

Transit Flight = NOT OK it will be confiscated.

P.S. Don't expect much sympathy from the transiting countries in the Middle East, with alcohol, they burn it or sell it, but won't drink it. What a waste.

Archived