New scam at Suvarnabhumi

Brer Fox

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, steve0367 said:

This topic has been flogged to death. It is Australian law that stops you bringing your duty free goods over 100ml back from Bangkok in your hand luggage.  Whinge and complain on here whatever you like, it is not going to change.

I agree it is the Australian Law which says International airports (including Bangkok) cannot allow passengers to carry on more than 100 ml onto Australian destination aircraft even if it has been purchased only 50 metres from the boarding gate at a duty free shop and is in a sealed bag and a receipt has been provided. If that is the law then so be it and it will be confiscated at the boarding gate much to the glee of the Suvarnabhumi security staff. 

Australia should be setting the example and applying the same law at ALL Australian international airports for aircraft leaving Australia. If safety is the issued then it should apply to outbound passengers just as much as it applies to inbound passengers. 

For example I was on a flight earlier in the year from Melbourne to HCMC, Vietnam. The aircraft was full of Australian Vietnamese going home to celebrate TET with their families. At the boarding gate I noted particularly the large quantities of liquor being carried on board. I would not have been surprised if there was between 400-600 litres of highly inflammable liquid in those overhead lockers. 

If Australia is to have such a law it should be consistent and apply the same law to it's own airports. The safety of aircraft and the lives of passengers leaving Australia are just as important as those entering. Australia should should show the way and not allow anyone to board an aircraft leaving Australia who is carrying more than 100ml of liquid. Imagine the screams and outcry if Australian departing passengers had their duty free purchases confiscated at the boarding gate. The same rule should apply to ALL.

The LAW is not the point; it is the selective application of the law.

Yes you can carry duty free when leaving Australia but when I flew out of Christmas Island to Jakarta in June, Border Force would not let me take any on board claiming it is not allowed on international flights but I still can buy and carry from Melbourne without hassle. But Border Force on Christmas Island are extremely over the top. I think they make their own rules up as they go.

On 9/1/2016 at 7:02 PM, autanic said:

In the UK at Manchester Airport here are the rules (because I have asked):

You may NOT take liquids of more than 100ml on to a plane. No if's and no buts. (Only diabetic pens are allowed with a letter from your Doctor) - letter not always needed.

The fact that duty free will happily sell you a litre or two of whisky is irrelevant. Those are the rules.

Now that the facts have been laid out, heres the loophole.

If you have a direct flight from Bangkok to London Heathrow and you have no connections, then you have already cleared security. You bags have been security cleared, so anything you purchase will not be checked again.  So if you buy a litre of Johnny Walker Black Label (Other whiskey are available), then you can put it in your hand luggage and when you get London Heathrow, you can take it home with you, and consume with at your leisure with extreme pleasure.

However. If you are flying Emirates, Qatar, Etihad etc and board at Bangkok and buy the same bottle, you will have to TRANSIT through another country, which means your bags will have to clear security again. In doing so, the original ruling stating that no liquids are allowed on the plane comes back to bite you on the bum.

So in short heres the facts.

Are you on a direct flight to your destination or will you be passing through another country to board another flight ?

Direct Flight = OK to buy and enjoy

Transit Flight = NOT OK it will be confiscated.

P.S. Don't expect much sympathy from the transiting countries in the Middle East, with alcohol, they burn it or sell it, but won't drink it. What a waste.

If you have a BKK. non stop (BA) to Heathrow and a BA from Heathrow to Man.  can you buy duty free at Heathrow to take on the conx. flight to Man. ?

1 hour ago, brling said:

If you have a BKK. non stop (BA) to Heathrow and a BA from Heathrow to Man.  can you buy duty free at Heathrow to take on the conx. flight to Man. ?

No sorry you can't. This is classed as a Domestic Flight. Duty free is only available on International Flights. This is the reason they ask for your boarding card, when purchasing Duty Free.

You can buy Duty Free in Bangkok and get all the way to Heathrow, but then they will not let you take it on the Manchester bound flight because it is a liquid.  Of course cigarettes are an exemption.  I was referring to alcohol.

I know what your thinking, that you would show your boarding card from Bangkok to Heathrow along with your onward boarding card. I tried this too, doesn't work.

The system is in place to prevent people buying cigarettes and alcohol at Duty free, when on internal flights as technically you haven't left the UK, just entered and exited a free trade zone in a host Country.

On 20/08/2016 at 9:43 PM, Brer Fox said:

Fair enough but you miss the point.

Suvarnarbhumi Airport is the only airport in the world that confiscates alcohol at the boarding gates for flights to Australia. For example if you were departing Suvarnarbhumi,  Bangkok, and purchased your duty free liquor at a duty free shop 50 metres the boarding lounge just five minutes before departure and it is sealed and you have a receipt the Thai security staff will confiscate it under the instruction of the Australian authorities. Of course the security staff cash in by selling it off to their mates.

Naturally smarties like yourself are welcome to buy it on arrival Australia but others are unaware and do what is internationally accepted practice and buy it before departure.

If the Australian authorities have decided that it is unsafe for alcohol in the overhead lockers on incoming flights from Bangkok then they should be consistent and ban it on flights exiting Australia going to Bangkok.

There are scams galore at  Suvanarbhumi but this one works particularly well for the security staff attending the departure gates for flights to Australia. All with the blessing of the Australian government.

And 'smarties' like you should read the rules when travelling then you would have seen the sign that tells you that all purchases have to be delivered to the boarding gate for you.

On 04/02/2016 at 11:26 AM, rapom said:

My reply was to the post made by "fey". I see nowhere in his post that he is only referring only to Australia. There are a lot of items that are not allow thru airport security checkpoints in carry-on luggage or on your person. But most items you can buy in the preboarding area including liquids, can be taken on the plane, unless the specific airline prohibits it. Also if you read Australia in his post, maybe better reading comprehension or corrected vision is required on your part.

Reading all the previous posts on this, i come to the conclusion that they are primarily concerned only with the carriage of duty free liquor into Australia from Thailand and that LA is not in Australia nor as it ever been so.

On 04/02/2016 at 1:00 PM, Roomuck said:

So you are saying that because the Australian nanny state brings in a rule for Australia the rest of the world should be disadvantaged? Other countries allow it, not just Oz. Get it yet? Aussieness!!!

How many countries other than the "Nannie state" of OZ allow 2 x 1 ltr bottles of grog thro duty free.

On 04/02/2016 at 2:08 PM, johnbarpic said:

Clearly stated in Singapore also no booze for Skippy,s on flights,

Difference between the whining of a Jet engine & an Aussie whining,, y can turn the Jet Engine off ????

You have to watch TV programme Declared Down Under.. Seems almost everything is prohibited into to AUS,

Strang how plenty of beef comes out though

Sorry to upset your hilliarious 'applecart'  John, but this very old whining joke belongs to the pommie migrants of a bygone ere !

On 04/02/2016 at 4:05 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Maybe KingPower and security had something going for Valentines Day but I can tell you I tried to buy whiskey in Kings last year and the shop attendant actually asked me where I was going. When I said Australia I was told I couldn't take it on the plane because of Australian regulations.

If you do take photos just make sure everybody is pointing in the same direction or they are considered invalidwink.png

That theory did not work on Koh Tao beach did it !

On 04/02/2016 at 9:09 PM, chickenslegs said:

You had to check?

facepalm.gif

wink.png

Why not stupid !   Australia has many towns with same names as in USA. I used to work in TEXAS , Queensland !   and there is a Cleveland near Brisbane  plus many others.  :rolleyes:

On 06/08/2016 at 10:13 AM, nisakiman said:

About 15 years ago I went to Australia to visit my sons, stopping off in Bangkok for a couple of weeks en route. I bought some nice chopsticks there to take as a gift for my daughter-in-law. When I arrived in Adelaide, after being made to stand 'on the yellow line' - "YOU'RE NOT STANDING ON THE LINE! ON THE LINE, NOW!" - so we could be sniffed by the dogs, some guy started shouting about how all wooden items (among numerous other things he mentioned) must be declared. So I went to the desk and told them I had some chopsticks. Honestly, you would have thought I told him I had a couple of kilos of cocaine with me. A virtual interrogation. And I got off fairly lightly. An old Chinese couple behind me (wealthy, judging by the amount of gold she was wearing) were really getting the third degree about something, I know not what. Basically, the whole shower of officials there were utter pigs, who obviously got a big kick out of their power over the people passing through. I've never been treated with such contempt and disrespect by anyone, anywhere, in my whole life. And I've travelled a lot, and encountered some pretty rude officials in my time. But this lot really took the cake.

I lived and worked in Aus for most of the '70s, and I loved it; but after that experience (it was the first time I'd been back since) I swore I'd never set foot in that benighted, oppressive, pig-ignorant, controlling nanny state ever again.

Such a shame. It used to be such a great country. What happened?

I had a very similar experience at Miami Airport. The immigration 'officers' were no more than rude, bullying ignorant thugs. I swore I'd never return to the USA because of their attitude and I never have.

It's a shame because once through the airport the ordinary American people were as good as gold. These immigration people should be vetted because they must be costing their tourist industry millions. We were just two people out of a plane load of British tourists who were all equally as disgusted at the treatment as we were.

Such a difference to the polite welcome back we receive from the immigration people when we return to the UK at Heathrow. And I rarely have much to say in praise of England any more.

• 1 month later...

So what's the point of buying duty free if you can't take it with you. My parents bought duty free at London airport, then had it confiscated at Bangkok on their transfer flight to Chiang Mai. What were they supposed to do with it? Why do duty free shops let you buy it? The Custom's Christmas party must be massive.

• 2 weeks later...

If I found myself in this position I would insist on returning the goods to the duty free shop for a refund. The plane cannot takeoff without you until it has removed your luggage from the hold. For that reason the refund would, I think, be expedited. If there was a law forbidding all bottles of liquid over 100ml then the shop should not have sold it to anyone boarding that flight.

2 hours ago, somo said:

If I found myself in this position I would insist on returning the goods to the duty free shop for a refund. The plane cannot takeoff without you until it has removed your luggage from the hold. For that reason the refund would, I think, be expedited. If there was a law forbidding all bottles of liquid over 100ml then the shop should not have sold it to anyone boarding that flight.

A bit hard to take it back to the shop in London ?

• 2 weeks later...

For what's its worth, I have known this for a while, e.g. when the new rule came in, and I have seen people having to surrender their goods, the airports have rented these spaces out to duty free places for crazy rentals for years, then the governments brings in these laws of no more than 100ml, do you think they would tell the duty free shops who rent at the airports that they MUST tell the people flying that they cannot take over 100ml on the plane, nope, that is the where the scam lay.

We were at Phuket airport with a one year old, her water bottles were in the baby bag, going through screening they said we could not take the water on board, we said its for the baby, here is the baby powder to mix it, they said you can get water on board the plane, we said the water is sterilised for the baby, an argument ensued, yes the farang getting hot headed and losing face, then the Thai wife steps in, baby under arm, grabs the bag and says in a loud Thai voice, if you want my baby to go without sterilised water for her milk on the plane all the way to Australia, then you come and try to take it off me and you will feel my anger, then stormed off, the look in her eyes said it all, the place went quite, I quickly followed with tail between my legs, that was the only time I have ever seen her lose her cool, do you think they tried, nope, sometimes commonsense is required, what did they think, we were going to blow the plane up with the sterilised water, with us and the baby on board, seriously some rules are f--cked, got to feel for everyone who has to throw anything over 100ml purchased from a duty free shop out, including sterilised baby water.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2016 at 11:17 AM, neverdie said:

But a 'Scam' started these procedures in the first place. After all, if it weren't for the 9/11 scam of 2001, then none of these silly laws would be in effect in the first place.

;)

Actually it was the alleged 2006 attempted terror attacks on board trans-Atlantic flights that started this rule (the 100ml liquid restrictions).  Not the 9/11 events.

On 10/16/2016 at 3:29 PM, thenewgoo said:

So what's the point of buying duty free if you can't take it with you. My parents bought duty free at London airport, then had it confiscated at Bangkok on their transfer flight to Chiang Mai. What were they supposed to do with it? Why do duty free shops let you buy it? The Custom's Christmas party must be massive.

The Duty Free shop has no obligation to tell you anything except, perhaps, what the duty-free allowance is for the country you are visiting is. I recall travelling with a passenger from Sydney to Bangkok via Singapore. She bought duty-free in Sydney but didn't tell them she would be transiting Singapore so it was not correctly packed for transit, and it was confiscated at the gate in Singapore. No surprises there (except for her - she was furious). There's nothing unusual about the Thai practice. I've also found it transiting from international to domestic in a number of countries

I had this a few years ago flying back from BKK. Had a connection in Doha, where I bought a bottle of spirits in duty free, stupidly not thinking about the fact I was transferring to a domestic flight in Athens, so no tamper proof bag or anything, just the normal plastic carrier bag. It dawned on me only when I got to Athens that I was going to have a problem, my 1 litre being somewhat over the 100ml allowed. I went to the Aegean desk in the terminal and chatted to the girl there about it, and they actually called and asked the pilot, who said if the crew took charge of it and kept it until we landed, it would be ok! Ha! I was sure I was going to lose it, but at the end of the day, it arrived home with me. I think I was lucky, though. I'm sure it's not normal practice.

On 2/3/2016 at 9:58 PM, moe666 said:

I guess you were not scammed

He was scammed. If it is, in fact, illegal...he should not have been allowed to buy items at Duty Free that were in violation. This is obviously a scam involving the resale of items such as perfume and booze by the authorities. Just another example of the corruption that is endemic in Thailand.

I had a similar experience to Brer Fox except in Malaysia. I brought a bottle of black label at duty free and then as I went through a security check before entering the departure lounge was advised I could not take it on board. When I protested a smirking security guy simple kept his hand out for the bottle. I retrospect I should have dropped it on the floor because I well knew where it was going to end up. To add to my anger when I got to the departure lounge there was a duty free there selling liquor and other goods and no further security checks before boarding the aircraft. I now by what duty free I want on arrival as most teminals these days have a duty free before passing through immigration.

17 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

I had a similar experience to Brer Fox except in Malaysia. I brought a bottle of black label at duty free and then as I went through a security check before entering the departure lounge was advised I could not take it on board. When I protested a smirking security guy simple kept his hand out for the bottle. I retrospect I should have dropped it on the floor because I well knew where it was going to end up. To add to my anger when I got to the departure lounge there was a duty free there selling liquor and other goods and no further security checks before boarding the aircraft. I now by what duty free I want on arrival as most teminals these days have a duty free before passing through immigration.

Calling BS on this post.  I travel through Malaysian airports very frequently, and your story doesn't add up to how their airports work with how you tell your story.

Archived