PM offers apology for the hot-tempered manner he shown at press interviews

webfact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is the only country where the military does not support the government and its use is primarily to protect the local aristocracy.

If Prayuth had done what any head of armed forces would do in another country he would have supported the previous government and the cycle of coups would be at an end.

For those who have not studied recent Thai history the ongoing coups in Thailand started in 1932. Thaksin Shinawatra was born in 1949. 17 years before he was even born Thailand's military was running the show. To claim that Thaksin and Jingluck invented corruption is just pure ignorance.

God this guy is such a buffoon.

he's doing a pretty good job considering the mess left by his predecessors ...

somehow I just couldn't see Yingluck on the podium at the UN convention in the US recently ... I don't think anyone really took her seriously ....

Thank god someone with some balls could step up to the plate ... wai2.gif

He did to step up. He took it away from an elected government using the threat of force. Completely confounded by coup loving foreigner's love of power.

Also if memory serves, Yingluck and Mr. Obama hit it off. His second trip to Thailand had to be canceled.

He apologized. That means a lot in Thailand regarding losing face.

While most Thai think apologizing is losing face, the opposite is true.

I don't understand all the buffoons in TV watching out for every mistake he makes

and seeing everything he says and does through the black glasses.

What alternative is there and which one was before he finally ended the shin mess?

I don't think he is the best imaginable PM - but who else would have ended the shin cleptocrazy?

Being against him is being for the ptp and their mercenaries the reds, because there is no other visible power in Thailand

Being against him is being for the ptp and their mercenaries the reds, because there is no other visible power in Thailand

Nonsense: If I would not favour this PM, it does not mean that I vote for PTP.

There is also the option: yes, I like the PM, but not in this way.

@Post#16

"somehow I just couldn't see Yingluck on the podium at the UN convention in the US recently ... I don't think anyone really took her seriously"

I'll bet there would have been more seats filled for an elected leader than Uncle Too's empty house...

post-206952-0-98072300-1454592701_thumb.

Edited by iReason

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

the same question over and over would be enough to make anyone angry .....

There are world leaders, of much larger countries, that do quite well with repetitive questioning. Training, education and experience, particularly when being grilled by the media, is essential for someone "at the helm". This is not just an "anyone" who was being questioned.

he's doing a pretty good job considering the mess left by his predecessors ...

somehow I just couldn't see Yingluck on the podium at the UN convention in the US recently ... I don't think anyone really took her seriously ....

Thank god someone with some balls could step up to the plate ... wai2.gif

Absolute crap!

And farm income down 30 % in the past 1-2 years (Bank of Thailand)......due to falling produce and prices...go figure...

....which has nothing to do with world economic slowing, drought (and dams emptied by the previous government), or a massive stockpile of rice to be sold before it rots. Uh-huh.

It's what proper politicians are meant to do. Citizens have a right to ask questions.

The previous PM respected questions. Her method was to offer meaningless platitudes (often on a different subject), smile (very nicely), and then walk away (very rarely towards parliament).

PM admits he was annoyed by repeated questions from the media

48-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha admitted on Thursday that he felt frustrated almost on daily basis because of the repeated questions from the media and this has been going on for the past two years.

“Some reporters asked me the same questions that I have answered. Shouldn’t I feel frustrated. If you heard the questions that were raised with me, you would feel more frustrated,” said the prime minister.

He pleaded with the media to ask less questions which will lead to conflicts in the country. He said that he could not blame any individuals in particular but the whole of us for not being instilled in our minds logic and reasoning but only the issues of democracy, liberty and freedom.

Pointing out that the country is not yet fully democratic, the prime minister said he would try to be democratic as much as possible although this may not be possible for some issues.

The best way to avoid conflicts in the society is for the people not to break the law and if anyone breaks the law, he/she must face the consequences of the law. “Breaking the law and then rejecting the court’s verdict and then running away. This is unacceptable and we should not accept this,” said the prime minister.

Regarding the lottery problem, the prime minister made clear that he would not allow the Government Lottery Office to issue more lottery tickets because there won’t be enough lottery tickets to meet the endless demand.

“Issuing more lottery tickets will encourage more people to enter the business. Thai people like to do things in an easy way,” he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/149543

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-05

I don't think anyone really took her seriously ....

I guess you mean aside from the millions who voted for her? Still, what do they matter?

The 300 baht paid to each for the vote had nothing at all to do with the outcome of course. Had a rice factory being built near a school in our village. All village against it. 400 baht goes to each house. All but 3 houses now vote the factory is a good idea. School now has dust problems and eventually kids with breathing problems. Doesnt matter for the kids. That 300 baht gave 2 days of lao khao. Money talks here. That was the Shin victory.

Yu'p your right, being asked "the same question over and over would be enough to make anyone angry....." BUT unfortunately the answer keeps being changed,

how many times has the election been changed? so yeah man the question needs to be asked and answered without changing it again.

You would think he would know this after 2 years.

As for the PM getting angry as he often will if the questions are not to his liking then if ya can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. again after 2 years...

As an ex-military general he is just not used to any one questioning him. Nor is he very good at taking any kind of criticism. He is used to everybody doing what they are told because he said so. Does not make a good leader of any country. He might of been a good general, but you are not in the army any more

And farm income down 30 % in the past 1-2 years (Bank of Thailand)......due to falling produce and prices...go figure...

....which has nothing to do with world economic slowing, drought (and dams emptied by the previous government), or a massive stockpile of rice to be sold before it rots. Uh-huh.

You sure is a funny guy. You all over the previous government for filling up the dams and blame for flood and now your version of the twist. By the way, it is the responsibility of the current government to ensure rice don't rot and sold. He did promised to sell all the rice in 2 years.

As an ex-military general he is just not used to any one questioning him. Nor is he very good at taking any kind of criticism. He is used to everybody doing what they are told because he said so. Does not make a good leader of any country. He might of been a good general, but you are not in the army any more

A good general? Completely untested except at dispatching snipers to assassinate innocent people and journalists in live fire zones and temples.

Well, that's a great message for all to hear: We're starving, investment, trade, economy" At least he had the good grace to apologise but will he never learn any diplomatic skills? Rhetorical question.

But the big question Prbkk is whether he did apologise. At the moment we only have his spokesman saying so, not very reliable evidence.

In this country where face-saving is sometimes more important than even life, this is the way apologies work. They are almost always made by a third person, on behalf of the person who apologizes. I know it seems absurd or even ridiculous to us Westerners, but the idea is to save the face of each party.

I have known this country for 30 years, actually lived here for 15 years, and seen this routine over and over again. At first I laughed and then I tried to understand. I still think it's kind of 'incomplete' but I do acknowledge the wisdom in it.

A General of the Army is never answerable to anyone in his opinion.Now as a PM he is being bothered by the media's questions.. Politicians in the world learn how to skirt around questions with answers that make no sense or lead to another subject.This guy just shows his ignorance of public speaking.

PM admits he was annoyed by repeated questions from the media

48-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha admitted on Thursday that he felt frustrated almost on daily basis because of the repeated questions from the media and this has been going on for the past two years.

Some reporters asked me the same questions that I have answered. Shouldnt I feel frustrated. If you heard the questions that were raised with me, you would feel more frustrated, said the prime minister.

He pleaded with the media to ask less questions which will lead to conflicts in the country. He said that he could not blame any individuals in particular but the whole of us for not being instilled in our minds logic and reasoning but only the issues of democracy, liberty and freedom.

Pointing out that the country is not yet fully democratic, the prime minister said he would try to be democratic as much as possible although this may not be possible for some issues.

The best way to avoid conflicts in the society is for the people not to break the law and if anyone breaks the law, he/she must face the consequences of the law. Breaking the law and then rejecting the courts verdict and then running away. This is unacceptable and we should not accept this, said the prime minister.

Regarding the lottery problem, the prime minister made clear that he would not allow the Government Lottery Office to issue more lottery tickets because there wont be enough lottery tickets to meet the endless demand.

Issuing more lottery tickets will encourage more people to enter the business. Thai people like to do things in an easy way, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/149543

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-02-05

"Thai people like to do things in an easy way, he said."

Finally a correct statement!

Edited by phrisco17

It's tough. On the one hand he is supposed to by Thai culture and by his position remain composed in his dealings with media and public

On the other hand he knows that most people here are stone dumb.

Which way to be???

"The best way to avoid conflicts in the society is for the people not to break the law and if anyone breaks the law, he/she must face the consequences of the law."

Still in effect - Organic Law, Article 113 of the Criminal Code states that anybody who commits treason by overthrowing the country's constitution faces the maximum penalty of death.

Perhaps Prayut should do the right thing, revoke his self-imposed amnesty and submit himself to the laws of the nation. wai2.gif

"He said that he could not blame any individuals in particular but the whole of us for not being instilled in our minds logic and reasoning but only the issues of democracy, liberty and freedom." blink.png

Truly remarkable gobbledegook.

“Thai people like to do things in an easy way,” he said. wai2.gifwai.gif

whistling.gif

Edited by iReason