Me, $200,000 ANd a Pattaya condo

Nomyai

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

real estate is good but the 2 things people do not keep in mind. Location and Timing are the 2 things with real estate. buy when everyone is selling but you want to put in insulting bids ex; 1,000,000 baht condo bid 500,000 and wait you are in no rush but they are. Brazil is a good place now where you can buy stuff extremely cheap cheap . good luck do not be in any rush to do anything.

All you post is true except Brazil!!!Brasil is very dangerous country to live!This cheap property can cost you a life!!!

If you must buy then do it in bangkok lower Sukhumvit within a 5 min walk to a bts. Easy to rent to sex pats their and then rent in Pattaya. Dont buy in Pattaya unless you are 1000% sure you will die in it

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

If you must buy then do it in bangkok lower Sukhumvit within a 5 min walk to a bts. Easy to rent to sex pats their and then rent in Pattaya. Dont buy in Pattaya unless you are 1000% sure you will die in it

The way Pattaya is there is a very good possibility he will die there.

I went to a rubbish Real Estate seminar once but there was the

rubbish investment guru David Kosh and another man highly

respectable in giving financial advice, Ross Greenwood,

he said one line that has stuck with me forever,,,

only buy property 10 km from where you live

i wonder why ?

He possibly said.......only buy property no further then 10 km from where you live.

As someone who has owned/built.....property in Oz--NZ--UK........ I can tell you that is very good advice........coffee1.gif

You didn't say whether you live in Pattaya short or long-term. If short-term, rent. If long-term, there can be some advantages to buying, especially if you like living in your own place and like having your furniture, artwork, etc., and the freedom to make changes to the condo as you wish. It's total hogwash that you can't sell a condo in Pattaya. I'm sure some posters will throw stones at this but, if you buy: Always foreign name--the most important always. Always seaview--the second most important always. Always on baht bus taxi line or very close to it. Always minimum amenities of pool, gym, and parking garage. Always new or newer building (why start out old and worn out already) and at least a couple hundred units or more. Always large, known developer with a track record.

Buy in a stable country where you can actually get actual residential status, like maybe Syria or something.coffee1.gif

You may think this is a frivolous comment but it is NOT. It is very sound advice. As the following post says, look elsewhere. You just cannot sell anything

here and it has been the same for at least the past 4 years. With the current state of affairs here and the mind think herein, there is no light at the end of the

rainbow.

If you are looking for a retirement location, look elsewhere.

Rubbish...

You can sell nearly anything if you drop your price... not the best time to buy at the moment so assuming that there will be a recovery in prices then it would be great time to buy, but then you can not guarantee a recovery certainly not in our life time.

Really depends on what risk you want to take... more risk better the gains but there again you could loose it all.

Probably better investing in your own country where you will be better protected by law, just too many sewer sharks around Thailand who are above the law.

better spreading your investment around some low risk lower gain like interest bearing bank accounts, fixed rate bonds, blue chip companies, could invest some in more riskier ventures with better returns, but never put all your eggs in one basket.

I went to a rubbish Real Estate seminar once but there was the

rubbish investment guru David Kosh and another man highly

respectable in giving financial advice, Ross Greenwood,

he said one line that has stuck with me forever,,,

only buy property 10 km from where you live

i wonder why ?

this is rubbish advice, sorry. You can come up with all sorts of things without any proper rationale.

Listen to all the exsperts and you cant go wrong. I brought a condo in Jomtien 10 years ago, sold it last yer for 200000 more than i paid for it, not a good return on my investment. Oops, nearly forgot, i have been living rent free for ten years, a saving of around 960000 . Me thinks that the people against buying, couldnt afford to buy anyway, that is usually the case.

Lots of options for that kind of money. Of course it depends what you are looking for.

If you want to be safe and legal buy a condo in the foreign condo quota. Do not

by as an investment but as a place you want to live. Two points to keep in mind.

1/ condos/real-estate is easy to buy but can be very hard to sell.

2/ if you are not embarrassed by your offer, you are offering too much

Once you make any inquiries to real estate companies you will be inundated with

options. Best of luck in your search. thumbsup.gif

If you buy here you cannot take a profit out if you sell for a higher price Also buy in a country that is stable

Like Panama or Gibraltar or Spain

Another rubbish comment.

As long as you have the correct paperwork you can repatriate your original money plus any profit after you pay tax on the profit.

Buy in a stable country where you can actually get actual residential status, like maybe Syria or something.coffee1.gif

You may think this is a frivolous comment but it is NOT. It is very sound advice. As the following post says, look elsewhere. You just cannot sell anything

here and it has been the same for at least the past 4 years. With the current state of affairs here and the mind think herein, there is no light at the end of the

rainbow.

If you are looking for a retirement location, look elsewhere.

Quite frankly, i would keep such negatively exaggerated advice to myself. I can't advise anybody to buy property here in Thailand, or elsewhere, as the whole world economy seems to be going downwards at present. It may be the right time to buy, or the wrong time, depending on the way the world economy is going, down south or up north. Thailand is no exception, but to say that one could not sell one's property in Thailand for the last four years is simply incorrect. If you had bought a good property in Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Kao lack, or even Pattaya four years ago, even to day you could probably sell it with a small profit. Nobody can tell you whether the property you are buying today could be sold next year, even taking a loss, whether such property is in Thailand, Singapore, Florida or France.

Quite frankly, I wonder why some posters can't get it through their thick skulls that a falang does not OWN property here. If it's a condo, the management is under 51% Thai control. You can only sell to a falang, because a Thai buyer will only be offering 50% of the falang price. With a house, you can only own the house itself, not the land it is on.

There are other countries where it's possible to buy a property with a clear title and a free market. Those two prerequisites are missing in Thailand courtesy of the law of the land.

As an additional incentive to buy here, permanent residential status is almost impossible to attain in Thailand. Which means at any time a falang can be booted out of Thailand by the authorities simply refusing to renew a visa or extension.

I like Thailand, and enjoy living here. However, anyone who doesn't recognise the above constraints has got their head in the sand.

Rent money =dead money

I'm yet to see where sticking you're bucks in a bank gives you the same growth as real estate.. Oh wait apparently upstart micro finance "banks" in true third world countries are offering great interest.. Im sure Cambodia and Myanmar are super safe... Lol

Never buy in Thailand. Once the building gets old they elevators will fail and net got fixed,the pool will start to look horrible and the lobby will look as bad as the pool. Renting is better. Pattaya is over built. You will never sell it.

Pattaya is over built, take a look at Phuket. It simply makes no sense. There is a huge housing bubble yet the construction continues at an unprecedented pace. The utilities are completely overwhelmed already. Water, sewage and trash are a disgrace, but they continue to build.

Don't buy in Thailand.

I love living here. I'll be here forever, but I won't own anything. It's always a bad financial decision, far too risky and historically the price is bound to fall.

Rent.

Quite frankly, I wonder why some posters can't get it through their thick skulls that a falang does not OWN property here. If it's a condo, the management is under 51% Thai control. You can only sell to a falang, because a Thai buyer will only be offering 50% of the falang price.

That isnt always true.

The management (committee) is composed of whoever can be bothered to stand and will be voted in by whoever can be bothered to attend an AGM. Thai co-owners notably are often not bothered to do either. So, in most buildings popular with farangs, farangs will form more than half the committee membership. Often 100% of the committee membership, and in my opinion this is generally a good thing.

As for the buying/selling, there may be a small premium for farang-name ownership in buildings that are very popular with farangs but in many buildings the Thai price is not far from the farang price. In some buildings, even in Pattaya, there is no price difference at all as the ratio is not up to the maximum 49%.