moving from UK starting Thai school

ArranP

I have approached 2 schools in Nakhon Sawan, bi-lingual school Yuwapat and thai school La Salle, they both require students including my daughter (aged 8 in november) to sit a test in thai before they start at the school.

This presents the following problems:

1) we will be arriving to Thailand mid June 2016, yet the test is not until March 2017, and this is for entrants starting in may 2017 does this mean my daughter has to stay a whole year out of school ?

2) my daughter cannot read thai, and speaks very little thai.

If really need to be in Thailand suspect that time could be spent in learning Thai. Have no education experience here but am quite sure bI-lingual is not likely to mean much - even in major cities. Do have some experience reading what was presented to granddaughters as English at several top rated private schools here in Bangkok and it was totally messed up. Until recently English was not even allowed on signage without paying extra tax.

I would think seriously about move plus/minus points if not 100% certain have to do.

ArranP, I am also in similar situation. I have 10 year old daughter who would like to study in Thailand. We have chosen kkvs in khon kaen which my daughter likes. But I was she can start in July 2016 when she finishes her primary school in UK. I think you should double check with the school. Probably something could have easily got lost in translation. Don't worry about your daughter not been able to speak Thai. Young children will pick it up quickly. Does she like studying in Thailand?

If the school cannot accommodate a child who cannot read/write/speak Thai it is not "bi-lingual ".

Look for a better school !

Your profile indicates you are based in Phuket where the excellent British International School is based.

Edited by sunnyjim5

I don't think the issue here is about the school not wanting to take a child because the child can't read, write or speak Thai. It's starting school in May 2017 instead of in June 2016, as school won't allow child to sit an entrance exam in June 2016. I think there must have been a mistake here on the school's part or probably some miscommunication.