why call thailand a third world country

excalibur2000

I have been travelling to and from Thailand for the last twelve years or so, however I have not been able to go back there

for the last 18 months due to some ongoing health problems which I am hoping will be stabilise within the next 6 months

to enable me to go back there for a couple of months break away.

Having said all that the purpose of my posting is to ask why is it that I often see written or commented by some posters that they consider Thailand to be a third world country. Personally from my own observations and experiences during the times I have been there that I cannot really see any merit in labelling Thailand as a third world country. It has numerous first class hospitals, many modern buildings and shopping malls all over the country, most of the supporting infrastructure overall is well developed in most

aspects Just to mention a few positives

Sure there are quite a few problems in some of the modernisation of several government services and organisations but I don't consider everything being equal that referring to Thailand as a third world country in true respect is justified or warranted.

I actually like the place overall and have not had any adverse situations occurred personally that has turned me off the country,

Certainly nothing that has given me the impression of it being a third world country

Maybe it is all to do with the way some people go about the daily life style when they holiday or live long term in Thailand.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been travelling to and from Thailand for the last twelve years or so, however I have not been able to go back there

for the last 18 months due to some ongoing health problems which I am hoping will be stabilise within the next 6 months

Having said all that the purpose of my posting is to ask why is it that I often see written or commented by some posters that they consider Thailand to be a third world country. Personally from my own observations and experiences during the times I have been there that I cannot really see any merit in labelling Thailand as a third world country. It has numerous first class hospitals, many modern buildings and shopping malls all over the country, most of the supporting infrastructure overall is well developed in most

Sure there are quite a few problems in some of the modernisation of several government services and organisations but I don't consider everything being equal that referring to Thailand as a third world country in true respect is justified or warranted.

I actually like the place overall and have not had any adverse situations occurred personally that has turned me off the country,

Certainly nothing that has given me the impression of it being a third world country

Maybe it is all to do with the way some people go about the daily life style when they holiday or live long term in Thailand.

First class hospitals yes if you have millions of baht to pay them for their services.

In stark contrast Lom Sak public hospital in Phetchabun sleeps often 30 to a ward with hoards of family sprawled on the floor to boot.

It's all about the money here mate,those who have and those who don't.

As others stated Thailand is a Developing country,Developing into a right mess from where I view it.

The term "third world" was replaced by "developing Country" many, many years ago. You must be a very, very old man.

yes I am very old man, actually I am over 70 years of age, perhaps some of the posters who have used the term "third world country" in posting references to Thailand are also very old age

stoneyboy. Sorry but i disagree with you.

Thailand has some first class hospitals.I know spent 7 months in Khonkaen hospital.

Yes at 1 point i was on a ward with nearly 70 beds.

My wife slept on the floor.

I did not pay millions of baht. It was paid for by my wifes government health insurance.

Well the fact is Bangkok is part of Thailand, but does not represent the country....Go up to the development, issan, the south, the B. republic is alive and well.. More reference to the B republic indicates the quality of leadership and administration, now that can be truly BR.. when rapists, druggies, HiSo Challenged drivers.... are not addressed appropriately. However, of course the most serious of all.. the senior (westerners) playing the illegal game of Bridge... is a national televised event..

Bad boys, bad boys what cha gonna do, when you don't know who... 5555clap2.gifwhistling.gif

First class hospitals yes if you have millions of baht to pay them for their services.

Insurance?

The serious lack of..............abridged.............................abridged........................is indicative of third world conditions, where life is so cheap and can be bought so easily....................................................................................................................................................................................................

.................................................................abridged............................................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

...................................................................abridged..........................................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

After I wrote this post I realised that you could write a book on why the third world country description is so apt and i nearly did but then realised that I too could become a victim of the lack of so much that we in the west take for granted i.e. the freedom of speech for instance!

A place without democracy could/should be considered third world, you take too much for granted OP, the democracy that you have become so blase about may well be on its death bed but dont worry because where you come from will also soon be in the grip of a similar malaise to what is happening here .

Edited by n210mp

Insurance?

I'm referring to the indigenous people of Thailand.

Insurance?

As was I

The insurers mainly coverThais

Insurance?

Yes very hard to get and expensive in Thailand at a certain age and will not cover pre excisting medical conditions,remember many people promote Thailand as a haven for OAP'S but most of said group are on very low pension income and the fact that a lot of western country's have frozen the indexation of pensions for years to come because of the banking crisis said group should stay in their respective country's.

From Cypress hill #16 couldn't quote all of the quoted posts in answer because of the cut off by the auto answer

Insurance?

As was I

Maybe you could tell us the source of your statement?

From Cypress hill #16 couldn't quote all of the quoted posts in answer because of the cut off by the auto answer

Insurance?

As was I

Maybe you could tell us the source of your statement?

I don't have a source but simple deductive reasoning will suffice here

A Thai insurer like, say, ThaiHealth isn't going to survive on the premiums it gets from farang pensioners and expats, is it?

Not least because most foreigners either don't bother with insurance or can't afford it

There is a burgeoning middle class in Thailand despite the efforts of some on here to brand most of them as impoverished peasants.

3rd world was originally coined to represent countries that were neither NATO or Soviet alligned. Despite the Thais history of sitting on the fence I think the Vietnam war showed it was alligned to NATO/US.

A later use was related to more economic terms i.e. developed (industrial), developing and under developed (3rd world).

Anyone who has been to a real 3rd world (under developed) country will realise that Thailand as a whole does not come close. The poorest areas may slightly resemble 3rd world conditions but that is the case in most developed nations.

The OP talked about healthcare and Stoneyboy with some justification stated it was all about money. That is also the case in the world's richest country.

Insurance?

What about all those hi-so Chinese Thais? They're not indigenous people of Thailand - they're immigrants. Edited by brewsterbudgen

I rather like the term "Third World". The term 'developing nation' requires far too many caveats to be accurate.

There are many reasons why Thailand deserves the title 'Third World' near the top of which is a raft of laws that make it a criminal offence to publicise the occasions when one of those 'first rate' hospitals destroy a patient's health or 'kill' them.

We get a lot of posts here on TVF complaining about 'negative views' of Thailand, and yes there there are people who focus on the negative, but the truth of the matter is, the real negative side of Thailand, corruption, abuse of power, organised crime, the abuse of the legal system by criminals, these things are not discussed.

Doing so could land the person discussing these issues in jail.

So while I agree with the OP, there are very many good things about Thailand, the difference between these good things in Thailand compared with the same good things in the west, is in Thailand merely discussing failures in service, incompetence, or criminality is in itself a crime.

It is this ability of criminals, the incompetent and the corrupt to silence any discussion of their crimes and failings that ensure Thailand has a rightful place in the list of 'Third World' countries.

'Developing country' would imply some semblance of continuing improvement, which apart from the window dressing, there is no other evidence of.

I think the term "Developing World" is most suitable...

There are many things that shine in comparison to where I come from in the states - my local shopping mall would look like a slum next to a Festival Mall - and there are some areas in which life has lagged behind in the countryside...

So, the mixture leads me to the term "Developing" -

My economics teacher in uni said 3rd World countries don't have elevators, every place else is either 'developing' or 'first world'

And my Political Science teacher said 3rd world countries don't have elections.

Not sure why Thailand is called a third world country.

I am also not feeling comfortable with this classification.

Similarly, in my (European) country we also call the poorest / lowest part of our society the "fourth world".

It seems that a good number of farangs belonging to that "fourth world" in their own country end up calling Thailand "third world"... Funny.