Seeking applause line, Jeb Bush struggles with voters

rooster59

Seeking applause line, Jeb Bush struggles with voters

SERGIO BUSTOS, Associated Press

DERRY, New Hampshire (AP) — Jeb Bush was once believed to be a virtual shoo-in for the Republican nomination in a crowded field of political newcomers and outsiders. But going into the second state in the primary process next week, he's doing anything he can to keep his flagging campaign on the rails.

He's begging some for votes and bear-hugging others who say they'll consider it. This week, he whispered "please clap" after delivering a commanding speech about leadership — a phrase that has since gone viral on social media.

In New Hampshire, he's been joined by his mother, former First Lady Barbara Bush, who is working to convince voters that her son is "decent and honest."

But Bush is ultimately banking on his experience as a businessman and former Florida governor to convince voters that he's best suited for the Oval Office, arguing that the three top finishers in the Iowa caucuses —Ted Cruz, Donald Trump and Marco Rubio — aren't up to the job.

But many observers say Bush has an extremely tough battle ahead of him. It's "the end of the road for the Bush dynasty" if he can't pull out a second place finish in New Hampshire's Feb. 9 primary, said Boston University political scientist Tom Whalen.

Bush's campaign began 2016 with less than $7.6 million in the bank, less than what Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz had available. His well-financed super PAC, an outside funding group that can accept limited donations, meanwhile, had plenty of cash left to burn. Right to Rise, which attracted million-dollar checks from dozens of donors, started the year with roughly half of the $118 million it amassed in 2015.

Early preference polls do not bode well. Voters in New Hampshire are notoriously late deciders, but even some of those gathered at Bush events — he's done more than 90 town halls — say they've got their sights set on others.

At his town hall events, Bush carefully answers every question, often in detail, describing himself a proud "policy wonk." He also makes it a point, without being asked, to talk about his famous political family, embracing the legacy of his father, George H.W. Bush, and older brother, George W. Bush.

"I'm proud of my dad. I'm proud of my brother. I'm proud of being a Bush," he told a large crowd Thursday night in Derry.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-06

Maybe they're worried about how many wars another Bush may start.

The first one started one war (Gulf War 1).

The second started 2 wars (Afghanistan and Gulf War 2) as a part of the unlimited "War on Terror" (and his labelling of Iran and North Korea as 2 of the 3 "Axis of Evil" countries had some believing he was itching to start a third war).

The third one ? Who knows. North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, Iraq (third times the charm !), Syria, Zimbabwe, the list of potential targets goes on and on.

Dubya started a war in Iraq on the false premise that Saddam had "WMDs" all over the place and his finger in the trigger. We know that Kim (nutjob) Jong Un may have nuclear WMDs and is by all accounts every bit as psycho as Hussien ever was. I'm guessing the only reason nothing is happening there is he is in China's "backyard" and they would get a little pissed if the US invaded that close to home.

Then again, the other contenders could be even worse !

The second started 2 wars (Afghanistan and Gulf War 2) as a part of the unlimited "War on Terror" (and his labelling of Iran and North Korea as 2 of the 3 "Axis of Evil" countries had some believing he was itching to start a third war).

The third one ? Who knows. North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, Iraq (third times the charm !), Syria, Zimbabwe, the list of potential targets goes on and on.

Dubya started a war in Iraq on the false premise that Saddam had "WMDs" all over the place and his finger in the trigger. We know that Kim (nutjob) Jong Un may have nuclear WMDs and is by all accounts every bit as psycho as Hussien ever was. I'm guessing the only reason nothing is happening there is he is in China's "backyard" and they would get a little pissed if the US invaded that close to home.

The entire BUSH family should be sterilised to stop them from breeding. They've already done enough damage. Having said that, surely nobody in their family could be less intelligent than George cluster #uc* junior ?

...Yawn. coffee1.gif

America and its elections ? Agreed.

What a crappy corrupt over complicated waste of time.

It doesn't matter which side wins (Dems or Repubs), the result is always the same "Stupidity & Incompetence"!

Trying to remember the last competent President........struggling, must have been at least a few decades ago.

I've got an idea, how bout something completely different ?

If you go a little further back in history you will see that George Bush seniors father Prescott was involved in the Second World War as well on the other side. He has a checked past during the war. Here is a link http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar Its an interesting read. If you really want to dig go into the meeting at Jekyll Island. George W. Bush is stumping for his brother now. What does that tell you

If you go a little further back in history you will see that George Bush seniors father Prescott was involved in the Second World War as well on the other side. He has a checked past during the war. Here is a link http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar Its an interesting read. If you really want to dig go into the meeting at Jekyll Island. George W. Bush is stumping for his brother now. What does that tell you

It tells me that his brother W is going hat in hand, but only to the party faithful. He dare not show his face to the nightly news. That would remind the public what a disaster the last Bush was.

BTW, as I recall, "Axis of Evil" was Reagan's line (though we all know he only read what was put before him).

It tells me that you guys know nothing about George H. W. Bush. He did not start a war in Iraq in January 1991. What he did do was organize a coalition of nations that under the command of Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. evicted the Iraqi military and Iraq's make shift Government in Kuwait out of Kuwait in a military operation called Desert Storm. The coalition pushed the Iraqis all the way back to Baghdad and then, basically, left Iraq.

The second Bush president along with Tony Blair was an absolute shame on the Western world. They are a shame primarily because of their decision to bring down Saddam Hussein and the Government in Iraq in 2003.

Don't confuse the actions of the son with those of the father. G. H. W. Bush was very fine man and an excellent President.

The second Bush president. G. W. Bush (there is no junior) failed during his tenure. I think he is probably a very fine man, but he failed the world.

LawrenceN: You are likewise ill informed and your memory stinks. President Reagan never spoke of an "Axis of Evil". Nor did his predecessor.

However, The lines that President Reagan read in his speech in German, 1987, was instrumental in igniting the passion and eventual tearing down of the Berlin wall. He selected that speech against the advice of all his national security advisors. Yes, he had speech writers as do all Presidents and other World leaders.

Do you actually think that Obama writes all the lines on his teleprompter?

I just watched a youtube video with excerpts from the most recent Rep debate (yes, I sound like a masochist.)
Those front-runners are a scary bunch. They flip flop endlessly. In the same sentence they say America is screwed up and America is the greatest country. If I wasn't already familiar with the US, I'd think it was a very strange, selfish, and dangerous place, ...to have such an angry bunch of flip floppers at the head of one of the major political parties. Rubio is as scary as the others. Even more than Trump or Cruz, if that's possible. Trump or Cruz would steer the ship of state into an iceberg on purpose. Rubio wouldn't wait that long. He'd go down and flood the engine room floor with gasoline and set it alight.

Edited by boomerangutang

Everyone knows the phrase 'you cannot be honest, intelligent and a communist', right ? Implying that you can be one or two of these items, but never the three together.

Well, sorry Barbara, I know that mothers see their kids with the eyes of love, but you cannot be 'decent, honest, and a Bush politician'. This wannabe dynasty is an insult to American democracy, honesty in general and political decency in particular.

Every time I see George W. repeating ad nauseam, with that repulsive smirk on his face, how satisfied he is with himself, how he would do it all again, and how the ungrateful world will eventually see the light and understand that he did the right thing, I want to puke. On his shoes, preferably.

Edited by Yann55

It's politics and democratic choices and unfortunately right now it seems the candidates are mostly bafoons

But this is democracy ! Any idiot can think they can run the country better and deserve to run ....

Almost like watching a soap drama series although the consequences on the world platform is no laughing stock

Of the Reps still standing, Kasich and Bush look best, and i don't particularly like either as a Commander in Chief. Interesting that NH voters can vote for whomever in the primaries, and don't have to stick with party lines. If I was voting (knowing Bernie is going to take the Dem delegates) I'd vote for Kasich. Further down the line, I think Trump and Rubio will flame out, leaving Cruz and Bush down the final stretch.