Do you use a dash cam ?

The question you need to ask yourself: in the event of a disagreement of fault between a farang and a Thai driver, who would the police and/or insurance company automatically take sides with?

Even with my top of the range insurance, I have a Dash Cam, 1200 baht at Pantip (+ another 300 for the memory card) turns on and off with the car, and it's seriously cheap peace of mind that should I ever get in an accident and it's not my fault, I have evidence to prove it, after all videos don't lie.

What cam is that?

And is playback quality good?

Looking for a decent cam myself.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question you need to ask yourself: in the event of a disagreement of fault between a farang and a Thai driver, who would the police and/or insurance company automatically take sides with?

Even with my top of the range insurance, I have a Dash Cam, 1200 baht at Pantip (+ another 300 for the memory card) turns on and off with the car, and it's seriously cheap peace of mind that should I ever get in an accident and it's not my fault, I have evidence to prove it, after all videos don't lie.

What cam is that?

And is playback quality good?

Looking for a decent cam myself.

I suggest that you research on the Internet and after you have the knowledge and info you need, go to local stores and see what they offer. For 1500 or 2000 baht you can find a decent dash cam.

My Chum just bought an 850 Bht one from Tesco Lotus and i must admitt its just as good as my 2500 Bht one when played back on my P.C. direct from the memory card.Wish id known about it.sad.png

Yes, but will it last as long as the 2500 baht model? I only got 1 year out of my first dash cam and that cost about 800 baht.

My Chum just bought an 850 Bht one from Tesco Lotus and i must admitt its just as good as my 2500 Bht one when played back on my P.C. direct from the memory card.Wish id known about it.sad.png

Yes, but will it last as long as the 2500 baht model? I only got 1 year out of my first dash cam and that cost about 800 baht.

Give the question deep thought, will post accurate reply 12 months from today.goof.gif

My Blackvue has been playing up recently and seems to be getting worse and doesn't power up all the time. Also the audio prompts stopped working a long time ago, nothing to do with settings I have checked. Installed for less than 2 years. Cost me about 8K and was hoping it would last longer than this. Paying more doesn't always mean it will last longer! The car is nearly always parked under cover.

My Blackvue has been playing up recently and seems to be getting worse and doesn't power up all the time. Also the audio prompts stopped working a long time ago, nothing to do with settings I have checked. Installed for less than 2 years. Cost me about 8K and was hoping it would last longer than this. Paying more doesn't always mean it will last longer! The car is nearly always parked under cover.

Is there a provision for doing a factory reset? Do they publish software or firmware upgrades?

Is there a provision for doing a factory reset? Do they publish software or firmware upgrades?

You can flash a new or existing firmware as I have done this already to try and rectify the audio out issue. The Blackvue Pitasoft website had downloadable firmware available. I fear driving over bumpy roads has taken it's toll.

Has anyone tried the Garmin GDR 45 camera? When my cheap camera that I have in the car dies, I think that's what I will buy. It has an option to plug in another camera and it has a one year warranty. The price is 6,900 baht. You are probably paying a premium for the Garmin name but hopefully the quality is better too.

Has anyone tried the Garmin GDR 45 camera? When my cheap camera that I have in the car dies, I think that's what I will buy. It has an option to plug in another camera and it has a one year warranty. The price is 6,900 baht. You are probably paying a premium for the Garmin name but hopefully the quality is better too.

I have a lower end dash cam in my car in Thailand and have been looking at the Garmin units for my car back in the US. As a long time triathlete I am a big believer in Garmin products - they have always been rock solid.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an aftermarket DC in both of my cars. Had a Tuk Tuk cut me off and damage my front fender and bumper. Shoulda' seen the look on his face when I showed the footage to the cops and insurance guy. As they used to say in the Mastercard ad "Priceless!" Then when the Tuk Tuk owner showed up at the police station and went into a violent rant the cop braced him onto the wall, told him to shut up, "It is your driver's fault and here is the evidence!" Boom. Slam dunk. When I purchased my second DC I got one with a front and a rear camera. If I can find one that sees the four corners as well I will buy that one.

4 cameras here - http://proof-carcam.com/project/%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99-360-view-c200/

I have an aftermarket DC in both of my cars. Had a Tuk Tuk cut me off and damage my front fender and bumper. Shoulda' seen the look on his face when I showed the footage to the cops and insurance guy. As they used to say in the Mastercard ad "Priceless!" Then when the Tuk Tuk owner showed up at the police station and went into a violent rant the cop braced him onto the wall, told him to shut up, "It is your driver's fault and here is the evidence!" Boom. Slam dunk. When I purchased my second DC I got one with a front and a rear camera. If I can find one that sees the four corners as well I will buy that one.

4 cameras here - http://proof-carcam.com/project/%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99-360-view-c200/

Wow, that is impressive.

What's the neatest installation dash cam? The one my wife uses currently is a spaghetti of hanging wires

Just depends on the installer.

Agree. My set up has front and rear camera, not a wire in sight all have been fed either via the roof lining or the front down pillar. Cant even see the screen as that's mounted behind the mirror. Tidy as they come.
Would you please share which camera setup you have and where you got it done? Also the cost.

I am looking for a Front+back setup...without wires being visible, possibly back camera to be used as a reverse parking camera too (not necessary though)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

eemass3d

Your lucky to get a reply as I normally don't look at posts once the Plonkers have come out of the woodwork.

But here goes. The set up I have is a Panoramic360 H/D Driving recorder. Cost just short of 4,000bt was fitted for free by the peeps that I brought it from.

Where I live, halfway between BKK and Chang Mai so I would think not to much help to you.

How did they do it well take off one side of the roof pillars release the lining and thread the wires under that. Sound hard but it only took them under 30Min: in total to complete the whole thing.

Regards using the rear lens to park, not going to be possible as the lens is at the top of window and designed to look at traffic coming from the rear. To use for parking it would have to be mounted lower and at the ground as well as rear. Could be done I suppose but would need moving again for the rear traffic.

Hope this helps.

Mine has decided to not Automatically clean memory and keep recording ,not surprised gadgets hate me.it does 8 hrs then I have to Clean card or it records nothing but looks like it is.

Try a different memory card:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/875934-dashcams-memory-cards/

smile.png

. Tried a different card ,must wait because it's max memory