Soi Cowboy bar owner dies following Bangkok condo fall

webfact

No disrespect to the deceased but is climbing over condo balconies at 39 floors high the best way to to go about gaining entry to your condo after forgetting or losing your keys.

The guy was obviously a business man and therefore had access to money,why would you not stay in a cheap hotel for the night and or attempt to gain entry with the aid of the condo management or a lock smith.

Extremely sad way to lose your life for the sake of opening a door,could have kicked the damn thing in and replaced it as a last resort.

Suspect there is more to this than meets the eye as usual.

RIP.

A friend of mine did the same thing in Hawai, climbed up the drain pipe to get into condo after loosing keys, drain pipe gave way,gone, very sad.

Amazing things that people do sometimes.

RIP.

• Like 1

If MARK is reading this or anyone who knows him; can you ask him to PM me.

Need to know the funeral service place/date or if Darels being flown back to the US etc

its Tel on Samui, (Mark will know who I am)

There's a memorial group been set up on FB for Darel, It only has limited members from what I can see.

Have you been added?

No disrespect to the deceased but is climbing over condo balconies at 39 floors high the best way to to go about gaining entry to your condo after forgetting or losing your keys.

The guy was obviously a business man and therefore had access to money,why would you not stay in a cheap hotel for the night and or attempt to gain entry with the aid of the condo management or a lock smith.

Extremely sad way to lose your life for the sake of opening a door,could have kicked the damn thing in and replaced it as a last resort.

Suspect there is more to this than meets the eye as usual.

RIP.

Who leaves a balcony entrance unlocked, even at the 39th floor? If he believed he could climb in that way, surely he believed it needed to be locked.

• Like 1

very sad and many of us would do the same,thinking no prob be in there in a jiffy,so easy to make a mistake especially at that height, sounds like he was a straight up and down guy,so short of his kind nowadays.Nice to hear there are some good friends of his here to talk nice about him,RIP Darel.

Hope the Mods don't let this thread get over run with the usual sarcastic/ insensitive comments.

His Friends and family could be (probably are) reading this.

:-

Too late

Yes unfortunately.

Which friends?

After staff attacked him he became pretty erratic and it seems most of his friends walked out on him.

RIP anyway.

...I doubt that ANYONE would willingly decide to climb 39 floors on the outside of the building...because 'they forgot their keys'.....

...every day....more and more.....

I don't think anyone willingly climbed 39 floors outside the building. He just climbed from one neighbors apartment balcony to his and slipped?

Very sadly it would seem to be an accident.

Hope the Mods don't let this thread get over run with the usual sarcastic/ insensitive comments.

His Friends and family could be (probably are) reading this.

:-

Too late

Yes unfortunately.

Which friends?

After staff attacked him he became pretty erratic and it seems most of his friends walked out on him.

RIP anyway.

Oh well that explains it all then.

RIP Darel, he was a character but a nice guy too.

It is a sad and unfortunate way to go.

Usually the juristic office of the building will have a key to the room. If not there is always a safer way to enter your room then scaling across balconies.

I was a bit relieved that this was not another fall from you own balcony scenario with an instant suicide tagged to it as that would have raised all sorts of doubts about how he died.

This is very sad but at least the cause of death seems to be clear. Much better than the family having to speculate about different conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

Police say Darel had locked himself out of his 39th floor condo and fell after trying to climb into his room from the condo opposite.

It was whilst he was attempting to enter his condo that he fell to his death.

My sincere condolences to his relatives and friends. Not wanting to do police work, but too many foreigners die a similar death.

Of course did nobody help him to aeehh open the door. RIP mate.wai2.gif

It's wise to have a system that requires manual locking on exit.

But then if you lose your key, you're locked out anyway. Probably what happened here. Next idea: keep a spare key hidden somewhere or give one to a trusted friend.

sad and unnecessary. if you're locked out of you room at my place the security guy calls a locksmith 24hrs. comes in 15 mins daytime a little longer at night - you can see these street locksmiths all over bkk. 200 baht job done.

That's cause your place has the usual cheap doors. Some security doors can't be opened by a locksmith. Or anybody else: only way would be to destroy the door and frame, not easy, could have taken a couple of days to arrange.

There's apparently much more to this story than the above article dismisses.

Rightly dismissed as irrelevant.

Usually the juristic office of the building will have a key to the room. If not there is always a safer way to enter your room then scaling across balconies.

Some owners don't trust the juristic office with their keys. Daryl sounds like he'd gotten paranoid.

And most offices close at 5 pm., though this evidently happened earlier.

Daryl was a bit of an adventurer, obviously not afraid of heights, and figured he could just go ahead and handle the problem himself quickly by climbing from the balcony next door. And he convinced his neighbor he could do it. Maybe he could have done it in his younger days.

Yes, if he were here to tell us, he'd agree in retrospect that it wasn't the best idea. Happy?

RIP.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Does not matter how much money you have skydiving without a parachute is deadly , you would think someone who has the money and sense to build a business and get a very good income from it, would have more sense and would pay only 200 baht to have a locksmith come and open his door , he obviously did not value his own life for more than 200 baht i am sorry it came to this but i dont have any simpathy for someone stupid enough to attempt to climb over balconies 39 floors up , you would think he would have sold it and bought a condo on the 1st floor then any " accident, " as it is always put in thailand would result in possibly a broken arm and NOT death, i am also wondering how many times he locked himself out and attempted the same thing , what a stupid action and it shows that money does not always bring happiness as he showed 200 baht was more worth than his life.