Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

I was in the same situation a few months ago. I got my 2nd waiver on the basis of having taken the Culture Class. I got my 3rd waiver in April without having taken any extra courses. However, my school went to the TCT and applied on my behalf, so I don't really know what they said.

So, it is possible, but I can't tell you exactly how... good luck!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First check your status in the TCT's database. You might be registered as 1st provisional teaching permit only.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ense_search.php

Is that likely to make a difference when applying again?

Thanks

I think so. Teachers reported to be on their 3rd provisional teaching permit but the database recorded the latest as first.

I just checked and while I am on my 3rd extension at the same school, I am listed in the database as being on my first extension.

However, I expect that they have paperwork filed somewhere that will show the true state of affairs. Perhaps a few years down the line their database my be updated.

First check your status in the TCT's database. You might be registered as 1st provisional teaching permit only.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ense_search.php

I can't be 1st only because I am on my second waiver currently.... I can get a third waiver and I have even heard of people receiving a 4th waiver....

what i NEED TO UNDERSTAND and know is "IS IT TRUE THAT I SIMPLY TAKE TEST(S) AND SAVE THE RECEIPTS AND USE THAT AS WELL AS ANY OTHER DOCUMENTS and bring someone from my school to the TCT to apply for the third waiver? " - and also DO I NEED TO TAKE ALL TESTS? OR ONLY 1 OR 2? DO I HAVE TO PASS? WHAT IF I FAIL?

I am currently on my 2ND waiver from the teacher's council of Thailand(I went and did the 20 hour Thai culture course that was at a school the teacher's council approved.) to obtain the 2nd waiver.

Now I want to get a 3rd waiver.... I don't want to go to school because I don't have time and cannot afford it...I want to stay in Thailand for at least 1-2 more years...(I need 1 more waiver)

What must I do to ensure* I get this 3rd waiver?

I understand "SHOW PROCESS" (that' i'm doing something towards obtaining what they ultimately want) that's how I got the 2nd one...

So I read in the past that I can take a test at the teacher's council and save the receipts??? and apply for a third waiver?

Please help me.....

the more information the better as my school speaks no english and it's extremely hard for me to communicate with them .....

ARE YOU STILL ON YOUR 3RD WAIVER? any updated information "knowledge" as to how you were able to get it? You didn't take any TCT tests? I thought that was the 3rd requirment for the 3rd waiver... (showing the progress)

I am currently on my 2ND waiver from the teacher's council of Thailand(I went and did the 20 hour Thai culture course that was at a school the teacher's council approved.) to obtain the 2nd waiver.

Now I want to get a 3rd waiver.... I don't want to go to school because I don't have time and cannot afford it...I want to stay in Thailand for at least 1-2 more years...(I need 1 more waiver)

What must I do to ensure* I get this 3rd waiver?

I understand "SHOW PROCESS" (that' i'm doing something towards obtaining what they ultimately want) that's how I got the 2nd one...

So I read in the past that I can take a test at the teacher's council and save the receipts??? and apply for a third waiver?

Please help me.....

the more information the better as my school speaks no english and it's extremely hard for me to communicate with them .....

• 3 months later...

Can anyone comment on having to pay Paragon Language Learning Center $100 USD for the culture training/test? Also, for teaching in rural area without experience but with a degree and TESL certification. Is $25,000 Baht really low? Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated. smile.png

Edited by Scott
font

We recently had a teacher whose certificate for a Thai culture course was rejected because only those places approved by the Teacher's Council of Thailand (I believe it is the Rajabat Universities), are acceptable.

I don't know the specifics, but he had to cancel his October plans because he has to re-take the course.

Can anyone comment on having to pay Paragon Language Learning Center $100 USD for the culture training/test? Also, for teaching in rural area without experience but with a degree and TESL certification. Is $25,000 Baht really low? Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated. smile.png

AFAIK, only Rajabkat Suan Dusit is accredited. http://education.dus...re/culture.html

The wages upcountry are between 28,000 and 35,000 Baht employed by the schools.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received this from a Thongsook College BA student today and she gave me permission to post it on the forum.

"Bruce,

I wanted to let you know about my experience at Immigration on Wednesday. I think it MAY be good news for Thongsook International. As you may (or may not) know my Visa was stamped back in September when I renewed it that because I did not have a BA, and the 2nd Waiver from Krusapha (Thailand Teachers Council) that I would have to leave Thailand on December 8th. (my 2 year waiver would end then)...although my Work Permit WAS renewed for a year!

Well, I did all that I could (completed the Thai Culture and Ethics course) got enrolled with your program affiliated with Thongsook...but Krusapha still turned my school down for a 2nd Waiver. About 3 weeks ago, I decided to go to Krusapha myself and plead my case to stay. They acted like there was nothing they could do. I plead all I could, and several people were in the "Foreign Teacher" office listening. Well, I don't know how...but before I could get back to my school, Krusapha called my school and told them to change my contract and make me a "Volunteer" teacher or a "Special Lecturer" and they would extend my waiver. We did that, sent the documents back to them and they granted the waiver.

On Wednesday, at Immigration, the Immigration Officer acted very surprised and confused and she and the Admin person from my school who goes with us, had a 30-min discussion back and forth (in Thai, of course) and I was concerned they were not going to give me the stamp in my Visa...but as it turned out, the Officer attends Thongsook and had not heard about this program...and didn't understand how Krusapha approved my waiver (apparently I was the first one since all these new changes and rules are being enforced that got the waiver from them without a BA) that our Immigration office has had come through approved. So the 30 minute discusson was our Admin person explaining all the hoops I had to jump through and the Immigration office wanted to know because they have so many come through that they have to just turn away because they don't have the waiver and they told her they want to be able to tell them what to do. The Immigration officer (that attends Thongsook) wants more information about this BA program to pass on to others. I told my admin person I would contact you to see what info I can give them. But it could mean LOTS more students for the BA TESOL program. They were excited, she said, that Krusapha accepted the letter from Thoongsook and to hear about this program. Apparently, that's what the 30 minutes discussion was all about. they even made a copy of the Waiver from Krusapha and the Letter of Acceptance from Thoongsook and put into the big manual."

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 1

I received this from a Thongsook College BA student today and she gave me permission to post it on the forum.

"Bruce,

I wanted to let you know about my experience at Immigration on Wednesday. I think it MAY be good news for Thongsook International. As you may (or may not) know my Visa was stamped back in September when I renewed it that because I did not have a BA, and the 2nd Waiver from Krusapha (Thailand Teachers Council) that I would have to leave Thailand on December 8th. (my 2 year waiver would end then)...although my Work Permit WAS renewed for a year!

Well, I did all that I could (completed the Thai Culture and Ethics course) got enrolled with your program affiliated with Thongsook...but Krusapha still turned my school down for a 2nd Waiver. About 3 weeks ago, I decided to go to Krusapha myself and plead my case to stay. They acted like there was nothing they could do. I plead all I could, and several people were in the "Foreign Teacher" office listening. Well, I don't know how...but before I could get back to my school, Krusapha called my school and told them to change my contract and make me a "Volunteer" teacher or a "Special Lecturer" and they would extend my waiver. We did that, sent the documents back to them and they granted the waiver.

On Wednesday, at Immigration, the Immigration Officer acted very surprised and confused and she and the Admin person from my school who goes with us, had a 30-min discussion back and forth (in Thai, of course) and I was concerned they were not going to give me the stamp in my Visa...but as it turned out, the Officer attends Thongsook and had not heard about this program...and didn't understand how Krusapha approved my waiver (apparently I was the first one since all these new changes and rules are being enforced that got the waiver from them without a BA) that our Immigration office has had come through approved. So the 30 minute discusson was our Admin person explaining all the hoops I had to jump through and the Immigration office wanted to know because they have so many come through that they have to just turn away because they don't have the waiver and they told her they want to be able to tell them what to do. The Immigration officer (that attends Thongsook) wants more information about this BA program to pass on to others. I told my admin person I would contact you to see what info I can give them. But it could mean LOTS more students for the BA TESOL program. They were excited, she said, that Krusapha accepted the letter from Thoongsook and to hear about this program. Apparently, that's what the 30 minutes discussion was all about. they even made a copy of the Waiver from Krusapha and the Letter of Acceptance from Thoongsook and put into the big manual."

Or could this have absolutely nothing to do with the fact she signed on with Thongsook for the BA but more to do with the recent revision in the rules about Volunteer teachers. Note Volunteer as in 'a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.'

I know this case and believe that is the situation.

It is good that Krusapha found a loop hole in their own regulations though.

To be fair without the Thongsook registration they may not have been willing to use this loophole

All on the BA course i wish you the best.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I heard today that people applying for a second waiver are being accepted as long as they are currently studying for a degree.

That is nothing new. The key is showing progress towards becoming qualified. Doing the culture course is one way to show it I believe.

The school where I work are trying to get teachers to take the culture course via " The private schools association" or something like that. It is 4500 baht and payment in advance. I am trying to tell them that the possibilities are that only Suan Dusit Rajapat is accredited. Can anyone confirm for me, and maybe provide a link. Cheers.

I believe this is the list, but are not sure:

http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/userfiles/List%20of%20institutes.pdf

There are more institutions mentioned. But in on one part of the website the link to this list is disabled, while on another part of the webiste I can still access it. So check with the TCT if the list is still correct.

Contact them here: http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/khurusapha_Contact.php Use the Foreign Rerlations Unit! I contacted them once at their general address by e-mail and didn't get a reply. I contacted the FRU (which deals with foreign teachers) and had a reply in a couple of hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know. I got my 3rd waiver very recently without any problem at all. I am not studying any course but have been taking the 4 part tests continuously for a few years now. I've passed the first one but the other 3 have proved elusive. ;)

I recently sent an email to the TCT stating that: I have been teaching at a school for 2 years. I have just been offered a new contract. My 1st 2 year waiver will expire at the end of May. I ask about the possibilities of receiving a 2nd waiver based on the fact that I am currently studying for a BSc but need another year to complete it. THis is the reply I received:

Thank you for your email. A new rule that went into effect February this year. An important one is applicants must hold at least a bachelor's degree, so it is impossible for those who would like to applying for the 2nd time of 2-year temporary teaching permit but do not hold a bachelor. However, except in any of the following cases:

1. Those occasionally providing knowledge to learners in any educational institution as special guest educational lecturers.

2. Those whose primary profession does not relate to the teaching and learning process, but has the occasional duty to teach.

If your school would like to employ you to teach, he/she can help you by changing the position in an employment contract from "teacher" to be "special guest educational lecturer" (วิทยากรพิเศษ) including other details or essence of contract such as duty, duration, payment, ect. that must be coherence as a lecturer. Immigration Bureau and Employment Department will consider your employment contract and issue a proper visa or work permit to you. Please bring this information to consult with your current school.

Regards,

Hope this helps some of you.

Cheers

• Like 1

Would this be the correct way to get a legal job as a English teacher? I have a non-immigrant marriage visa:

Get a contract stating you are/will be a guest lecturer (lets say 10h per week).

Send this to the ministry of labor together with visa. Do they need anything else?

This would just be a temporary solution for me as i wait/study for my TCT license.

Hi folks,

FYI the Culture Course offered by Rajaphat Suan Dusit (Bangkok) has been temporarily put on hold pending a review of the course by the new board of directors at the Teacher Council (this was confirmed to me in an email sent by the chap who co-ordinates the course).

For future reference, here is the link

http://education.dus...re/culture.html

where you can fill in the application form and apply for the course (Saturday - Monday)

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1016 posts in this thread, and I couldn't find the answer to my question...which is:

Do you actually have to be living/working in Thailand as a teacher to be eligible to apply for a Thai teacher's licence?

I'm working in Myanmar right now (as a teacher), but have long-term plans to get back to Thailand. Is it possible to obtain my Thai teacher's licence before I return to Thailand, (since holding such a licence may be advantageous when applying for a vacancy)?

Thanks

Simon

1016 posts in this thread, and I couldn't find the answer to my question...which is:

Do you actually have to be living/working in Thailand as a teacher to be eligible to apply for a Thai teacher's licence?

I'm working in Myanmar right now (as a teacher), but have long-term plans to get back to Thailand. Is it possible to obtain my Thai teacher's licence before I return to Thailand, (since holding such a licence may be advantageous when applying for a vacancy)?

Thanks

Simon

From the TCT's website.

Required Documentation

1. Completed Application form

2. A copy of passport with photo and signature or other evidence identified legally immigration

3. A copy of work permit or evidence identified permanent residence in Thailand

4. A copy of degree or educational background

5. A copy of teaching license from abroad (if any)

6. A copy of certification of teaching experience with not less than 1 year

(Both in Thailand and overseas teaching experience can be counted, except experience in tutorial or language schools)

7. A copy of certification of knowledge standards:

a. Training course on Thai, Thai culture and professional ethics and

b. Subject matters for teaching profession

(In case of holding other degrees without a teaching license from abroad or a graduate diploma in Education)

8. A copy of employment contract

9. A copy of teacher’s blue book or a certificate issued by the Office of Private Education

Commission (if any) i.e. sor chor 11, sor chor 19 or sor chor 18

10. Two of 1 inch photographs without dark glasses taken within 6 months

11. Registration fee is 500 Baht

http://www.ksp.or.th...cumentation.pdf

The teachers council writes as route to a teaching license:

Persons who have had teaching experience with not less than 1 year and

1. Hold a degree in Education or

2. Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad or

3. Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year

course of study.

In addition, they also must successfully complete a professional training course and pass

assessment of knowledge as follows:

(1) Thai language and culture

(2) Professional ethics

When they have passed the assessment according to (1) and (2), they can file an application.

I finished lawschool, which in my country automatically comes with a "license" to teach law at elementary, secondary and lower level vocational schools. Just to be sure, does this mean I can apply for a teaching license, after having done the cultural course and professional ethics? Does anybody have any experience with this siutation, having a degree but not in education and having a teachin license?

You have put license in quotes. Do you physically have a license or does your degree entitle you to teach? Your 'license' allows you to teach a specific subject, so my guess--and it's only a guess--is that you would not be given a Thai Teaching License.