Cheap pollution filters for the insane smoke?

NomadStrategy

If you think this is insane,it has not really started yet,and if past years

are anything to go by,its going to get a whole lot worse.outside you can

use a face mask,for filtering the air inside,no really, cheap method,you

will have to wear mask inside,if it bothers you,or move away when it really

gets insane.

regards Worgeordie

You could buy the 3M micro filters at most hardware stores, which fit over your regular course air con filter. These catch fine particles and bugs, and if you close the doors and windows, you can scrub the air inside.

Haha, I'm already looking forward to newbie posts in a month or so when it really kicks off.

There seem to be a high number of new visitors/residents in Chiang Mai this year, also judging from some Facebook groups.

Anyway, for indoors a very cheap option are the 3M Filtrete filters that you can buy at Home Pro (for example) and put on your air conditioner. Next step up is getting an actual air purifyer; I like the Toshiba models (Siam TV, Chi Chang, Central, etc.). These cost a couple thousand baht though. 5K range if I'm remembering correctly.

Reality Check: Today didn't even come close to the -admittedly somewhat high- local limit. looks like we'll end up around 80 or so; maybe slightly high for the first half of February but nothing to write home about. Also lower than yesterday. It tends to come and go this time of year.

^So why do you look down on newbies?

Everyone was a newbie once....even you Winnie!!

I'm not looking down on them, I'm looking forward to the things they'll come up with!!

(Wasn't that clear from my post? wink.png )

Also just identifying someone as a newbie doesn't imply looking down on them. It does imply they have some ground to cover, which they will.

Haha, I'm already looking forward to newbie posts in a month or so when it really kicks off.

There seem to be a high number of new visitors/residents in Chiang Mai this year, also judging from some Facebook groups.

Anyway, for indoors a very cheap option are the 3M Filtrete filters that you can buy at Home Pro (for example) and put on your air conditioner. Next step up is getting an actual air purifyer; I like the Toshiba models (Siam TV, Chi Chang, Central, etc.). These cost a couple thousand baht though. 5K range if I'm remembering correctly.

Reality Check: Today didn't even come close to the -admittedly somewhat high- local limit. looks like we'll end up around 80 or so; maybe slightly high for the first half of February but nothing to write home about. Also lower than yesterday. It tends to come and go this time of year.

Not a cheap option and neither is it realistic.

People that live in large houses with several rooms, it would mean having all doors and windows completely sealed and an air con running in either all the rooms or rooms that are being used 24 hours a day. Those in one roomed apartments would still need the air con running 24 hours. The air purifiers maybe ideal for a small room but in large rooms only effective if sitting right on top of them.

During the hot season I can`t think of any economical ways to effectively stop the foul atmosphere from entering the home?

Sadly it's going to get a lot worse than the last few days, and if the drought continues it will last for a long time.

Air filters help if they're big enough and if the room(s) are reasonably tight and can keep out most of the outside air. Of course this only works while you're in the room. If you have to spend time outside you can wear a mask, but there are varying opinions on how helpful masks are.

Unfortunately the only real solutions are to tough it out or leave.

^ If you have a large house with lots of rooms then you also have the money for a couple more of those units. (or better still, go for a beach holiday)

If you don't have that money and you stay in a small room, then a single unit will do just fine.

Winnie are you talking about a filter for the out side unit?

Not bad now still using Thai air con. Window and door open. but later on when it does get bad I will want to run the air con any way. Just looking to make the most possible use of it.

^ If you have a large house with lots of rooms then you also have the money for a couple more of those units. (or better still, go for a beach holiday)

If you don't have that money and you stay in a small room, then a single unit will do just fine.

Sorry I don`t understand your logic?

It`s immaterial how many units are installed in a house, it`s the cost of running them during the great smoke season that matters. The choking fumes are in the air day and night and to keep the air in the home pure, these would have to be running day and night, the electric bill would be horrendous. But I am seriously considering your suggestion to take a beach holiday. Anyone fancy coming with me?

It`s immaterial how many units are installed in a house, it`s the cost of running them during the great smoke season that matters. The choking fumes are in the air day and night and to keep the air in the home pure, these would have to be running day and night, the electric bill would be horrendous. But I am seriously considering your suggestion to take a beach holiday. Anyone fancy coming with me?

Check with Winnie he goes away every year.

Check with Winnie he goes away every year.

I heard the air is clean, the girls are free and easy and the booze is cheap at the beach resorts. Leave the wives and girlfriends at home and lets all go, getting bored with Chiang Mai with it`s pollution and nightmare immigration procedures anyhow.

They don't use a lot of power, much less than air conditioners. More comparable to a regular fan. So power consumption isn't a major consideration, at least not for the dedicated air filters.

Winnie are you talking about a filter for the out side unit?

Not bad now still using Thai air con. Window and door open. but later on when it does get bad I will want to run the air con any way. Just looking to make the most possible use of it.

LOL, no. Follow the instructions that come with the filters. It's applied to the regular filters that are on the inside unit, then you put the filters back with the 3M filter attached to it.

It's the sub 2.5 particles that are real nasty; so fine that they actually get into your bloodstream and enter the body organs.

Even the dependable 3M masks are pretty well useless against these microscopic invaders. Apparently the diseases they cause are fairly slow developing. It'd worry me if I had kids here or if I had some sort of chronic lung disease,

to sanitize air cheaply, you can

- Vaporize herbs (thyme, lavender, rosemary; lemon grass..) ie Boil water, preferably distilled water in a big pot where you throw herbs.

- Use humidifiers as sanitizer where you put ro or distilled water, silver colloidal and essential oils those known for antiseptic properties.

- use aroma diffusers with same essential oils.

We just put in some rubber adhesive strips that seal door and window cracks, seems to have helped. Several of our neighbors have charcoal making operations, that plus the usual copious plastic burning and its clean your air indoors or die. I feel like I now have a refuge. I really like Daikin air conditioners, they are more expensive but way more reliable than the Japanese and Korean brands and the Daikins also claim to have air filtration, seems to me this also helps a lot as the air coming in through them never smells like smoke or chemicals.

Archived