Are VIP (day passes) available at other border crossings?

I'm familiar with the northernmost border crossing from Thailand, at the Mae Sai / Tachilek crossing. There used to be VIP passes (for day-only) available. The tourist only had to show two photocopies plus their passport, and pay a 100 baht fee on the Thai side. It's recently gone up to 200 baht. The nice part is that the farang's passport is not stamped, it's merely held in the Imm office, and given back when the farang returns to Thailand before (or just after) sundown. It's convenient for seeing some of the Burmese town, and for shopping.

At the Mae Sai / Tachilek border, the Imm officials will say 'mai dai' (cannot) right away, when asked about VIP pass. However, a persistent person like me will find it's not a complete 'mai dai.' After conversing for several minutes with a friendly border official I found the VIP pass is available for groups of Chinese tourists IF they're traveling with a Thai guide. But I also heard of another exception. A farang friend of mine was allowed a VIP recently, and he was traveling alone. Other farang, traveling solo or in small groups are not allowed. So one of my questions is: Why the inconsistencies? Was my friend particularly handsome - and that's why he was given special service? Was there one official there who was decent, while all the others are restrictive? I honestly don't know.

Another question: Why do border officials start off repeating 'mai dai' - when it's not really 'mai dai.' Why don't the speak honestly?

And also, as the title to this thread alludes: Are there similar dynamics at play at other border crossings? Thai/Burma? Others?

The Duty Free shop on the Burmese side assure farang tourists that it is quite acceptable to bring back 3 litres of alcohol (not just 1 litre) . They state it is an "agreement" they have with Thai immigration.

Don't know how much truth there is in that, but last year I and 2 friends each brought back 3 litres each. We passed through Thai immigration with no trouble, no searches or questions asked. Does anyone else have information about this?

The Duty Free shop on the Burmese side assure farang tourists that it is quite acceptable to bring back 3 litres of alcohol (not just 1 litre) . They state it is an "agreement" they have with Thai immigration.

Don't know how much truth there is in that, but last year I and 2 friends each brought back 3 litres each. We passed through Thai immigration with no trouble, no searches or questions asked. Does anyone else have information about this?

it's off-topic, but ok. I've heard 2 liters.

Does such a 1 day pass exist for a Farang living in Cambodia who wants to enter Thailand occasionally just for a bit of shopping?Constantly getting the visa-exempt will eventually get you into trouble.

The is no border pass available.

Does such a 1 day pass exist for a Farang living in Cambodia who wants to enter Thailand occasionally just for a bit of shopping?Constantly getting the visa-exempt will eventually get you into trouble.

That partially answers my question, but you didn't say which border(s). No VIP-passes (day passes) at any borders other than Mae Sai-Tachilek?

VIP-passes are available at the northenmost Thai border but it's highly subjective. It's akin to tossing a coin. Some farang get 'em, some don't. I haven't figured out -whether it depends on who's on duty, whether the farang is handsome/charming enough, or what. It's frustrating, because some farang travel long distances - and none can be sure whether they'll be allowed to walk the 100 meters to the Burmese market or not. A complete toss-up.

It's not a toss-up if you're Chinese and part of a large group. Then you're allowed the VIP day-pass, but you must have a Thai guide leading your group (as if you need a guide to show you how to walk around a tourist market).

The 100/200 baht 'fee' is not official. While bribery used to be commonplace, and petty bribery of this type convenient for everyone involved, it is now actually risky for the IO to engage. Examples need to be made, and is the risk worth the reward? Individuals will vary.

I think it's no longer predictable, but less and less likely in the present climate. I wouldn't make the trip unless I was already dialed in...

That partially answers my question, but you didn't say which border(s). No VIP-passes (day passes) at any borders other than Mae Sai-Tachilek?

VIP-passes are available at the northenmost Thai border but it's highly subjective. It's akin to tossing a coin. Some farang get 'em, some don't. I haven't figured out -whether it depends on who's on duty, whether the farang is handsome/charming enough, or what. It's frustrating, because some farang travel long distances - and none can be sure whether they'll be allowed to walk the 100 meters to the Burmese market or not. A complete toss-up.

It's not a toss-up if you're Chinese and part of a large group. Then you're allowed the VIP day-pass, but you must have a Thai guide leading your group (as if you need a guide to show you how to walk around a tourist market).

I quoted the post so it was clear I was only answering that particular question.

I have no idea what is possible for VIP passes going into Myanmar, There have been posts saying it can be done and others that say it cannot be done.

At this time, VIP passes (day trips) across that border are possible. I'm basing that news on the fact that me and another farang asked the border officials, and were told we could do VIP for the day. That's the latest, but doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed, because the VIP policy has flipped flopped on and off for the past 4 months. In sum: If you travel to Mae Sai, you can take your chances, but don't count on it as being a sure thing. You may try calling Mae Sai immigration ahead of time, but you'll need to speak Thai, and I don't have the tel#.