2 15-year-old girls fatally shot at Arizona school

rooster59

2 15-year-old girls fatally shot at Arizona school

JACQUES BILLEAUD, Associated Press
PAUL DAVENPORT, Associated Press

GLENDALE, Arizona (AP) — Two 15-year-old girls died Friday in a shooting at an Arizona high school that initially caused panic among parents who could not reach their children but later emerged as a murder-suicide.

Police announced that a suicide note was found at the shooting scene near the cafeteria area of Independence High School in Glendale. They said the girls each were shot once, were declared dead at the scene and a weapon was found near the bodies.

"Information gathered by detectives reveal the two girls were very close friends, appeared to also be in a relationship," Glendale police spokeswoman Tracey Breeden said in a statement Friday afternoon.

Breeden said it is believed nobody witnessed the shooting.

Both teens have been identified, but Breeden said "their names will not be confirmed or released at this time by the police department due to their juvenile status."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-13

It's been confirmed that it was a suicide pact between the two girls. It appears there may also have been a romantic relationship between them. High-school is tough time for all young adults, especially gender queer students, who are struggling to find their identity and place in the world.

It's been confirmed that it was a suicide pact between the two girls. It appears there may also have been a romantic relationship between them. High-school is tough time for all young adults, especially gender queer students, who are struggling to find their identity and place in the world.

"Gender queer students". Exactly what do you mean by that? This is the 21st Century and you're (probably) living in Thailand where we're lucky to have a very open society.

"Gender queer students". Exactly what do you mean by that? This is the 21st Century and you're (probably) living in Thailand where we're lucky to have a very open society.

I reckon he means to say they were in a lesbian relationship in an unnecessarily PC way.

Thailand is NOT a GLBT paradise. That's a myth.

Could they have married here? No. They could have married in Arizona when of age to do so.

I don't know what happened between these two girls, but there's something darkly romantic about choosing to die that way.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions that the reason was homophobia, but likely, it was a factor.

Also to consider the toxic homophobia that GLBT youth face is not only about their age peers, it's often about their own families.

Growing up I met so many gay youth who were disowned by their parents because the parents were religious fundamentalists, and you can easily imagine how emotionally devastating that would be, and a large percentage don't survive, killing themselves literally or in more indirect ways like drug abuse, unsafe sex, etc.. Still happens.

Edited by Jingthing

I reckon he means to say they were in a lesbian relationship in an unnecessarily PC way.

Thailand is NOT a GLBT paradise. That's a myth.

Could they have married here? No. They could have married in Arizona when of age to do so.

I don't know what happened between these two girls, but there's something darkly romantic about choosing to die that way.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions that the reason was homophobia, but likely, it was a factor.

Also to consider the toxic homophobia that GLBT youth face is not only about their age peers, it's often about their own families.

Growing up I met so many gay youth who were disowned by their parents because the parents were religious fundamentalists, and you can easily imagine how emotionally devastating that would be, and a large percentage don't survive, killing themselves literally or in more indirect ways like drug abuse. Still happens.

This is Asia so equal rights may never happen but I think society is vey accepting of GLBT folk.

You ought to look deeper. Many Buddhists think GLBT people are being punished for bad deeds in previous lives. That doesn't sound very "accepting" to me.

The homophobia here may manifest itself differently than in the west, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Edited by Jingthing

You ought to look deeper. Many Buddhists think GLBT people are being punished for bad deeds in previous lives. That doesn't sound very "accepting" to me.

The homophobia here may manifest itself differently than in the west, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

I agree, some of the Thai people that I work with are extremely homophobic almost to a point of being vicious about it. No acceptance at all.

Arizona is a very, very conservative state. It is probably one of the least friendly states I have been too. It's not that it is conservative that makes it unfriendly, it is that it is not a tolerant place. I've been in a lot of very conservative places, but the people were nice and there was a sense of being able to separate what they don't like from not liking the people. Arizona isn't one of those places.

It has a large conservative Christian core, a significant number of retirees and a lot of Mormons. In and of themselves, none are bad, but the combination doesn't make living there very easy for minority groups.

Pointless debate

Americans will never listen to reason about guns

Move on. Forget it.

Why is this about guns? Or maybe you prefer they beat themselves with a Billy club or overdose on drugs.

Let it be for crying out loud. If you want to debate it take it to the Supreme Court, if everyone want to change it then do an amendment to the Constitution.

Let the girls rest in peace and stop making it about your meaningless agenda.

Edited by MadDog2020

Sadly, the main issue here, IMO, isn't gun control, but suicide. It would appear that there are two young lives that have been lost tragically and intentionally.

Without more information, there could be a lot of factors, including sexual orientation, bullying, depression.

Young people are very impulsive and a short term, situational problem can result in a long-term solution. I hope the schools are taking note and investigating. It's not unusual for deaths like this to result in cluster suicides as other young people follow suit.

Me thinks someone has to bone-up a little on their modern English language usuage skills "Mr. TEFL." ?

Any time a gun is involved- gun control is the issue. As an American , I am appalled at the number of deaths and injuries as a result of lax gun laws. It wll never change- most Americans think they have a right to not only own a gun but to carry it everywhere. I don't and want to see a complete ban on handguns. Their only purpose is to kill someone.

Edited by Thaidream

Me thinks someone has to bone-up a little on their modern English language usuage skills "Mr. TEFL." [emoji2]

Likewise. I asked 'what do you mean?' NOT 'what does this mean?' There's a subtle difference.

Edited by TEFLKrabi

It appears to be rather a mystery and/or they are not releasing everything they know in respect to the families and that they were minors. But there are signs they could have been in the process of breaking up so that makes the double suicide speculation more unlikely. Crime of passion, spurned partner, it's me or nobody? We don't know.

Me thinks someone has to bone-up a little on their modern English language usuage skills "Mr. TEFL." [emoji2]

Likewise. I asked 'what do you mean?' NOT 'what does this mean?' There's a subtle difference.

The meaning is in the words themselves and the modern usage thereof...may I suggest you attend the next annual meeting of the Modern Language Association ?

Sadly, the main issue here, IMO, isn't gun control, but suicide.

Which bit of "murder-suicide" did you miss then?

Oh.

On Thursday night, Dutiel tweeted that she felt “rejected af [as <deleted>]” and then simply said, “Goodbye.”

I'm still waiting to see where the murderer obtained the firearm.