Stray dogs, are they dangerous?

I have just been to Thailand for 2 months, staying in Khon kaen and surrounding area. I went there to meet a lady and also to “test the water” to see if I could live there. I am 62 and have no commitments at home in England. I am active and spend at lot time at my health club in England playing tennis and swimming. I also walk with the Ramblers, cycle, play golf. The Thai lady I met was aged 48 and a farmer. I feel we got along well together but I concluded there are problems living there.

The language ……. Should become easier with time.

The heat ……. I much prefer the warm weather, it was just right in Dec & Jan and think I would be alright for me in the hotter months.

Mosquitoes …… just a bit annoying

The stray dogs …… they frighten me, 3 barked and growled aggressively at me but did back away. It was not because I looked at them as 2 I only noticed after they started to growl and come towards me. Maybe it was because I looked different to a Thai?

Even if a dog is definitely friendly I don’t like to touch most of them if they look mangy and may have fleas. Some may have rabies, so if bitten you would have to go to a hospital for jabs. Also due to the heat most of us wear shorts and sandals so no protection.

I can just coup with walking (I started to walk with a stick) during the day but I wouldn’t go for a really long walk, a run, or a long cycle ride for fear of coming across a pack of stray dogs. After dark I think would be worse.

I cannot think how this would ever be resolved and it would stop me enjoying the outdoors. It is stopping me thinking seriously about living in Thailand.

I have written “stray dogs” but I mean all dogs that are free to roam whether or not they have owners.

If they have owners I am sure that most are looked after and are happy but even these can be protective of their owners property.

Am I over reacting?

It would be lovely to hear others thoughts and/or experiences.

Keith

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Did you have a good time & whats happened with your lady?

I'm a bit confused with your post a bit as you say you play tennis, golf etc. But you then say you have started using a stick to walk.

The only thing I'd say is that Isaan isn't as easy to get around as in a bigger city

But back to your question, stray dog can be dangerous or not. Depends on the dog.

It's like asking is all Thai ladies are hookers, some are done aren't, depends on the lady!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya Rocketboy, my Thai girlfriend named Ploy is now back in her village, she has 5 cows to look after plus other crops and other work.

Sorry if I confused, I am still healthy for age 62 and definitely do not need a stick to walk. I only started to walk with a stick when out walking on my own in Thailand just in case a dog or dogs became aggressive. I felt so vulnerable in shorts and sandals.

Cheers

Keith

Many dogs here in the village.

None has ever attacked me.

They might approach me but it's enough to turn on them and they shy away.

I am "befriended" with many and avoid others.

The worst barking dog in the temple grounds now loves to be tickled.

I have three dogs and walk them twice a day, me on the bicycle.

Dogs might attack mine and might be loosing as mine are twice the size/weight.

One of my dogs has almost killed a small aggressive "puppy".

Just in case I have a massive bamboo rod on the bicycle to avoid the worst.

I don't say there are no dogs attacking people, just that is not the rule.

You worry too much I think.

They don't bark at you because you look different, but just for the fact that you walking.

They find that strange, Thais don't walk tongue.png For a 100 yards they will use a scooter.

BUT: what you really should check out is the potential noise in the night.

For one who has a light sleep (like me) it can be nerve wracking.

I often go down/out to shy these stray dogs away.

Currently a she-dog in the neighborhood is in heat.

A terrible parade of the male dogs, barking and fighting in the night.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Very few of the dogs you will meet in Thailand are truly aggressive (I have yet to meet one), they have all been taught the hard way that people are the top dogs. That said many are frightened of or will act territorial against strangers, but once they get to know you and realize you are not a threat they will stop growling at you. Personally I like to make friends with dogs I meet, but if you are not really a dog person just keeping calm and ignoring them will also work. If a dog gets too close just stop, stand still and ignore the dog by looking past it. Never look a dog straight in the eyes unless you are sure it's not aggressive, as looking a dog in the eyes is a direct challenge. In my experience, the greatest risk of being bitten comes not from the stray dogs but from dogs being kept in fenced gardens and not socialized properly. These dogs have not always learned to respect people (other than their owners and sometimes not even them), and if they get loose they can sometimes attack people.

You say you have started walking with a stick, did you have the stick with you when the dogs were growling at you? Almost all dogs in Thailand will bark/growl at people carrying anything looking like a stick because they are used to people hitting them with sticks. So carrying a stick is actually the worst thing you can do and will greatly increase the odds of you being bitten as it will convince the dogs that you are a threat and they will never stop barking at you. Yes, the dogs will respect the stick and back of when you face them, but it will make you the enemy and one day when you are walking home at dusk one may come up from behind and bite you. Joggers and people on bicycles are also more at risk, as anyone moving quickly will trigger the prey and/or play drive in many dogs and will cause them to chase such people. This can often result in people getting bit, although more often than not it's more of a nip than a real bite (but it can still hurt and draw blood). Unfortunately, most people react to this by speeding up, which will just make the situation worse, where the best thing you can do is to stop.

As to the rest of your comments, you cannot judge whether you will be able to stand the weather in Thailand based on a visit in the two coldest and driest months (December and January). I am not saying that you won't be fine, but March through May is nothing like December/January. But I would say give it a try, and don't let the dogs scare you. Unless you are really afraid of dogs and unable to stay calm when one approaches you, then they will not be a problem.

Sophon

Unlike About aberrant above I encourage you to walk with a stick.

In my neighborhood a crazy old woman do not take care 12 dogs in his small house. As she is not able to keep the mutt wander day and night and when they are in packs they often show aggressive.

So everyone walks with a stick including early morning joggers. And some are happy to use it vigorously. Now just show to these mongrels that run quickly regain their ill mistress.

Thanks for all your comments.

The dogs that acted aggressively towards me was before I started to carry a stick. Once was in a small village where they were celebrating the kings birthday I think. I never saw the dog until it was close and barking and growling at me so I couldn't have aggravated it by looking at it. Another time a large dog was barking and growling at me but luckily it was on the other side of the road.

When I started to carry a stick I didn't hold it aggressively, I just used it calmly like a walking stick. If a stick does cause a dog to become aggressive then many old people with bad hips who need to use a stick will be in danger.

I am sure many people understand typical dog behaviour better than myself as I have never owned a dog. I understand the keeping calm, become the "pack leader" etc. .................................. but for myself I believe different dogs behave differently just like people, and a dog can simply be "bad" "stupid" "mentally unstable" etc. ........ I think some are stupid as they lay asleep in the road, some even try to attack a moving car!

In most situations I usually stay very calm but I have to admit concerning an aggressive dog or dogs my heart rate increases, I don't do anything silly but inside I am scared!

Cheers

Keith

you should be more aware of the thai ladies than the dogs as they can bite where it hurts.you dont need a stick to keep them away just empty pockets.

you could say they are simular to dogs most have owners.

so treet them gently until they feel the same about you,and you will enjoy their company without being threatened.

love me love my dog. meatboy.ex.uk.and a taff.

All dogs can be classed as dangerous. Newspapers are always reporting dog owners as saying 'we never had a problem before' until their docile pet ripped into a child's face. In Thailand the problem is much worse than in civilised countries. There are few vets willing to euthanase diseased/terminally ill dogs. There are few local authorities willing to curb the feral dog population. Education in Thailand is so poor that many Thais do not even realise their dogs can cause accidents/carry and spread diseases/ menace and disturb the quality of neighbours' life. Farang owners who have had an education yet still allow their animal to be a nuisance are ignorant.

I love living in Thailand (ten years now) but the dog problem is the biggest negative for me; mosquitoes come 2nd.

The best line of defence works most times for me is just to ignore them, don't stop walking, if they're directly in your path then walk slightly off your track, a pocket knife as earlier mentioned in my opinion is as good as a dog treat, firstly because it usually means you have to bend down to do anything with a pocket knife which is a big no no if dog is in attack mode,, in fact carrying a few dog treats in your pocket would be a much better form of defence against the stray dogs

Edited by jonnyscot

I have lived for the past eight years in a village in Buriram. Every morning I walk for a couple of hours through the woods and fields (mostly the fields), and there are often stray dogs about. I am, by the way, 78, still active.... but I don't think I could outrun them!

I always have at least one dog; the current pet is a toy poodle, which is not much use as a defence.

During this period I have never felt threatened. If they come closer than I wish (I'm more worried for the small dog than for myself), I raise my hand as if to throw a stone, and off they go. Very occasionally, I need to throw a real stone.

Before I came to Buriram, I lived for 16 years in Chiangmai, where I was bitten twice by dogs dashing out from behind a house and biting me before I could react. One of these dogs had previously seen me daily on my walks. So the incident is difficult to explain. That means I have had the jabs for rabies twice, not very pleasant, but just one of those things!

The best line of defence works most times for me is just to ignore them, don't stop walking, if they're directly in your path then walk slightly off your track, a pocket knife as earlier mentioned in my opinion is as good as a dog treat, firstly because it usually means you have to bend down to do anything with a pocket knife which is a big no no if dog is in attack mode,, in fact carrying a few dog treats in your pocket would be a much better form of defence against the stray dogs

Dog bites you and you give it a treat?

I generally ignore them, but I have a pocket knife and when I see them I put my hand in my pocket and get ready. If they bite or try to bite me (or my family) I will kill them have the Dr. check them for rabies.

Nope moganddave,, you're ass about tit there,,, if you want to give the dog a treat "after" it bites you then you're welcome to,, I certainly wouldn't,, but I'd sure fancy my chances by other means rather than try to be Rambo with a pocket knife

Edited by jonnyscot

Nope moganddave,, you're ass about tit there,,, if you want to give the dog a treat "after" it bites you then you're welcome to,, I certainly wouldn't,, but I'd sure fancy my chances by other means rather than try to be Rambo with a pocket knife

Is this where I call you Dr. Dolittle? Did they draw first blood? Rambo indeed.

If you want to walk around with stinking dog treats in your pocket on the off chance you encounter a vicious dog, go for it.

Funny guy, give it a break mate and try reading people's posts before ranting utter BS, If it makes you happy to claim to be the dog terminator with the pocket knife then go for it

I just read it again.

I not concerned about barking dogs, I'm talking about biting dogs. You think throwing them treats is going to help, I do not.

I've lived with and around dogs my whole life (the last 15 years here) and I have not been bitten since I was 11.

I said try reading people's posts, the OP is asking about dangerous dogs, I'm sure he's more interested in avoiding getting to the stage of being bitten rather than being Rambo and reacting after being bitten,

If you've been around dogs as you say all your life you should know that stray dogs are unpredictable, acting in an aggressive manner is quite possible to provoke a reaction from the dog, for your info I've also been around dogs all my life from retrievers (both golden and flatcoat) to samoyed's, newfoundland's and boxers, currently have a pet golden retreiver and 3 Thai dogs, I'm no expert to the reaction of stray dogs but just offering my advice to the OP, but I certainly haven't been so afraid of any dog that would warrant me carrying a pocket knife to protect myself, don't much go around with treats in my pocket either, just offering non confrontational advice to the OP,

Edited by jonnyscot

I said try reading people's posts, the OP is asking about dangerous dogs, I'm sure he's more interested in avoiding getting to the stage of being bitten rather than being Rambo and reacting after being bitten,

If you've been around dogs as you say all your life you should know that stray dogs are unpredictable, acting in an aggressive manner is quite possible to provoke a reaction from the dog, for your info I've also been around dogs all my life from retrievers (both golden and flatcoat) to samoyed's, newfoundland's and boxers, currently have a pet golden retreiver and 3 Thai dogs, I'm no expert to the reaction of stray dogs but just offering my advice to the OP, but I certainly haven't been so afraid of any dog that would warrant me carrying a pocket knife to protect myself, don't much go around with treats in my pocket either, just offering non confrontational advice to the OP,

I don't carry a pocket knife for protection, I carry it for any number of thing from opening mail to cleaning my nails. I've carried a small knife since I was a kid.

While I am all for treating dogs that behave well, to treat them when they are growling and whatnot seems a little bone-headed to me.

"mogandave"

While I am all for treating dogs that behave well, to treat them when they are growling and whatnot seems a little bone-headed to me.

I hear you, you're entitled to your opinion on that mogandave,, just be careful if you ever do get the opportunity to use that pocket knife in self defence that you don't cut yourself, that's advice from someone who has used knives as their main tool of work for many years, you may find that the cut in your hand might be worse than the bite from the dog,, me, I've never been bitten by a dog yet, any confrontation with aggressive dogs seems to work for me by continuing on my ways without showing the dog any fear but at the same time not showing any aggression, best of luck to you

Edited by jonnyscot

Dog bites you and you give it a treat?

I generally ignore them, but I have a pocket knife and when I see them I put my hand in my pocket and get ready. If they bite or try to bite me (or my family) I will kill them have the Dr. check them for rabies.

Does your pocket knife have a screwdriver attachment or a tin opener?