Phuket police yet to conclude probe into death of Chinese tourist

rooster59

Phuket police yet to conclude probe into death of Chinese tourist

The Phuket News

post-247607-0-01303200-1455400544_thumb.

Rescue workers bring the body of Lu Weidong ashore at Laem Ka in Rawai. Photo: Courtesy of Phuket Rescue

PHUKET: The Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MoTS) Phuket office has revealed they are powerless to do anything more in their investigation into whether or not a tour guide was present when Chinese tourist died during a day tour to Racha Island earlier this month.

The tourist, 50-year-old Lu Weidong, died whilst being transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital after he was pulled from the water unconscious whilst swimming at Batok Bay on Feb 2.

Following reports that no tour guide was present, Mr Santi said that his office would investigate the company regarding whether or not a tour guide was present on that day. (See story here.)

“We cannot do anything more until the police have concluded their investigation, which I hope they will conclude by next week,” Santi Pawai told The Phuket News today (Feb 13).

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-yet-to-conclude-probe-into-death-of-chinese-tourist-56210.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-14

These Chinese tourist are drowning at a high rate both in Phuket and Krabi waters.

Begs the question - when tour guides are present, are they constantly rescuing these people as they get into trouble, or, is it that they are providing training and guidance at such a high level that incidents don't occur? If so they deserve some sort of recognition from tourism authorities.

Or perhaps, non swimming Chinese trying to snorkel will occasionally drown despite the presence, or not, of a guide?

Perhaps what needs to be reviewed is the practise of bringing large numbers of these people to a beautiful part of the ocean, handing them snorkeling gear and saying "look at the colourful coral and fish" without first establishing if they are competent enough to be in the water.

Edited by Old Croc

What is expected of a tour guide, that they are Rambo? Phoning the emergency services for help and CPR is the best they can reasonably do, which in many cases is not going to prevent a tragedy.

So when it happens in Australia what would the reason be ?

Scary to have nincumpoops in charge... Thats why this place is such a mess

The world is in a mess.....

I believe I have read the same lament, from various sources and from various time periods in history. I keep own house in order, help those that I can and leave the rest to a power, higher than myself. Of course, if one lacks support from an external source, that is their business.

"The sun rises without my meddling and it's great to be alive".

RIP for the Dear Man.

What is expected of a tour guide, that they are Rambo? Phoning the emergency services for help and CPR is the best they can reasonably do, which in many cases is not going to prevent a tragedy.

So when it happens in Australia what would the reason be ?

Some people comment without any knowledge of the subject, I suggest before comment you at least do just a little research. Go read this.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/diving-snorkelling/diving-and-snorkelling-hazards/qualifications-and-competency

For people like yourself, it could be an awakening.

The tragedy should be prevented before it happens.

As suggested earlier, check if people know how to swim. Hand out life-vests as floating devices in case of someone that does not have a reasonable swimming skill level insisting to go into the water.

(All easier said than done if there is one tour-guide per touring car, let alone making sure that such person knows how to perform a rescue and a CPR)

In case of under water activities, if my memory does not trick me thirty years after getting my PADI Rescue, the minimum company under water of an uncertified diver is a dive master.

In case of training groups, we used an instructor with one or two dive masters.

And even with those very experienced and dedicated people, some near misses did happen when students disregarded instructions.

Add in "lookout duties" to your meager list of expectations, and this tourist may still be alive.... Tragedy prevented.... Rambo can stay in his box.

Showing Chinese tourists pictures of ther drowned countrymen might help to prevent them from doing stupid things, like going into deep water.

In another news report one drowned in the hotel swiming pool ... ??

Yeah, said he was 'relaxing' in the pool!