Laptop versus tablet

Asiantravel

I am using a five-year-old laptop and have been considering switching over to a tablet. I was thinking of one of the Samsung models. I was just curious to see if anyone else has done a similar thing and if they are pleased with the tablet compared to using a laptop computer?

I use the laptop basically just for checking various websites,receiving and sending emails and converting youtube music to MP3. There is one other important function which is my reliance over the past 10 years on the voice activated software Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I would need to be able to download this program which is on a CD-ROM onto the tablet and I would need to be able to plug in an external microphone which I use for dictation. would I be able to do this easily?

If I was able to do all these things on a tablet then I would be happy to make the switch over.

Any advice or comments based on your experience regarding this please?

I must admit I like a proper keyboard for typing, but I also like the benefit of a touchscreen for browsing and watching movies, plus a long battery life.

So I have a Dell Tablet with keyboard docking station that adds the extra battery life.

It is a simple process to enable/disable tablet mode in Win 10.

I must admit I like a proper keyboard for typing, but I also like the benefit of a touchscreen for browsing and watching movies, plus a long battery life.

So I have a Dell Tablet with keyboard docking station that adds the extra battery life.

how much was your Dell tablet?

I'm not really worried about a proper keyboard because I hardly ever type anymore. 95% of the time I just dictate into my microphone and Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 13 is 98% accuratesmile.png if I couldn't do that on a tablet I wouldn't bother to switch over at all.

Well, there are tablets, and then there are tablets.

Except for the ipads, most other tablets pretty much run android. That means you will not be able to run any of your old laptop software. However there is another option. There are now a number of tablets that are capable of running windows.

The best of the best would seem to be the Microsoft Surface Pros. I have the Surface Pro 3 and it is easily as powerful as my laptop, if not more powerful. It runs a full version of Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and that means all my windows software will run on it too. I am actually quite impressed with it. One thing is for sure, I will never use another android tablet.

Oh yeah, it's pricey. But all is not lost as there are other vendors making windows tablets that sell for a lot less.

Except for the ipads, most other tablets pretty much run android. That means you will not be able to run any of your old laptop software. However there is another option. There are now a number of tablets that are capable of running windows.

The best of the best would seem to be the Microsoft Surface Pros. I have the Surface Pro 3 and it is easily as powerful as my laptop, if not more powerful. It runs a full version of Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and that means all my windows software will run on it too. I am actually quite impressed with it. One thing is for sure, I will never use another android tablet.

Oh yeah, it's pricey. But all is not lost as there are other vendors making windows tablets that sell for a lot less.

Thanks I will look further into that.smile.png Sounds like it could be what I'm looking for as they describe it as the tablet that can replace your laptop!

I guess I would have to go to Bangkok to find one of those? I am in Pattaya I couldn't imagine anywhere having one here?

Edited by Asiantravel

I would look at a tablet with a detachable keyboard, those Microsoft Surface ones are neat, but pricey.

Asus offer some good ones.

No problem plugging a microphone and headphones but tablets use a single socket for both.

Tablets are so much easier to travel with!

I would look at a tablet with a detachable keyboard, those Microsoft Surface ones are neat, but pricey.

Asus offer some good ones.

No problem plugging a microphone and headphones but tablets use a single socket for both.

Tablets are so much easier to travel with!

Yep, the OP could try for the best in both. I have an Acer Switch 11, detachable 11" screen to be used as a tablet when needed. For me, the beauty of this setup is portability combined with the 500GB hard drive in the keyboard body. i have mine running windows 10 without a problem (it came loaded with 8.1 home which i formatted to 8.1 Pro before upgrading).

Actually, the only problem i have seen would be if you were using Outlook (or whatever email client) with a pop3 account, as it won't allow me to keep the PST on the hard drive but keeps it on the flash memory. Can't even move to the memory expansion card, but there may be a work-around for this out there somewhere if it was an issue. Dropbox (not sure about One-Drive) is fine as this can be moved to the HD.

These don't come with CD/DVD optic drives, so you would need to copy your install files for your voice recognition software to a thumb drive (or cloud) to install. 2 x USB 2.0 & 1 x USB 3.0 ports available + micro HDMI.

Tablets are great and you can do almost everything with them but, in my opinion, they will never replace a laptop which has more flexibility and functionality.

Agree. Tablets are good for a limited range of use/certain purposes and suits some folks just fine. Kinda like comparing a motorcycle (tablet) to a pickup truck (laptop). I like having and occasionally riding a motorcycle but I prefer and use the pickup truck most of the time.

I just bought an ultraportable laptop, Asus ZenBook with a 13.3" screen, that only weighs 1.3 kg. It's a full fledged Windows 10 computer with a proper keyboard that is not much heavier or larger than a good size tablet however does allow me to perform the same tasks as on my larger 17 inch notebook or even a desktop computer. Personally I wouldn't want to use a tablet but just take along my Windows smartphone when I go out for a few hours or even a day or two and on which I can access emails, read newspapers or even check my FB, Twitter account, etc., etc.

I agree that a tablet can never replace a slim, touch screen laptop for useability, storage and power.

Re: tablet, I found that I stopped using my tablet after I graduated to a large smartphone.

I've always had a laptop as well but I expected to be using all three formats when I got a smartphone, however the tablet just seemed to fall out of use. Just a thought.

You won't be able to run your version of Dragon on an Android tablet. Last I heard they were working on an Android version, but I don't think it's ready yet, and you'd need to buy it again anyway. Your best best is a Surface pro, or any other laptop replacement tablet that runs a full version of Windows. They're pricey, but very portable. Another option would be to get a very compact ultrabook laptop. The Dell XPS 13's are lovely little machines - very powerful, beautiful screens, and very small. However, the price tag matches the build quality - high.

Slightly off-topic, but can anybody tell me if it is possible to download and run (and read) Amazon Kindle books on my newish Dell Vostro 14" laptop. Intel Core I7.

Also if anybody has compared laptops with Kindle paper-white readers. I know somebody on TV was selling these

Thanks in advance

Microsoft Surface

Thanks for the quick reply, but I have no use at all for a tablet unless it was to read books, I hate touch screens, plus I need a computer with a keyboard since all my work is technical.

Also my wife never bothers with her tablet anymore since she got a Samsung 6.

What I really need to know is can Amazon Kindle Books be downloaded and read from a normal laptop?

If this is not practical, are you saying that the Microsoft Surface tablet is better than a Kindle Paper White for reading Amazon Kindle books?

how much was your Dell tablet?

I'm not really worried about a proper keyboard because I hardly ever type anymore. 95% of the time I just dictate into my microphone and Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 13 is 98% accuratesmile.png if I couldn't do that on a tablet I wouldn't bother to switch over at all.

A couple of hundred dollars but it was a refurb.

But often refurbs are just returns from people that have suddenly decided they hate Windows 8.1 so nothing wrong with them.

It works fine and is running the very latest Windows 10 (14257) and Office 2016.

I can't be ar$ed with voice recognition, my typing is 100% accurate.

I was all hot n heavy into tablets when they were all new and shiny. I still have both an iPad & a Galaxy, but honestly I hardly use them anymore, I much prefer my Mac Air. It's almost as light as the tablets, but does everything flawlessly, which can't always be said of tablets.

I do however keep the iPad around if for no other reason I like it for recipes in the kitchen when cooking.

On the tablet vs Kindle Paperwhite. There, there is no contest, the Kindle wins hands down for reading books. It's the right size, light, battery that lasts an eternity, and a screen thats easy on the eye, and perfectly readable outside in bright sunlight.

Edited by GinBoy2

Microsoft Surface

Thanks for the quick reply, but I have no use at all for a tablet unless it was to read books, I hate touch screens, plus I need a computer with a keyboard since all my work is technical.

What I really need to know is can Amazon Kindle Books be downloaded and read from a normal laptop?

If this is not practical, are you saying that the Microsoft Surface tablet is better than a Kindle Paper White for reading Amazon Kindle books?

I'm sorry, my response was to the OP.

There is a Kindle app for Win 8 which probably works on Win 10 too. But my opinion on "electronic reading" is that Kindles are far better on the eyes long term, due to optimized technology for reading.

Personally I prefer listening for leisure nowadays, through Audible (owned by Amazon).

Microsoft Surface

I'm sorry, my response was to the OP.

There is a Kindle app for Win 8 which probably works on Win 10 too. But my opinion on "electronic reading" is that Kindles are far better on the eyes long term, due to optimized technology for reading.

Personally I prefer listening for leisure nowadays, through Audible (owned by Amazon).

Thank You very much, I have been trying to get a sensible answer to that question for ages. I think it also answers another question, in that the Kindle paper White would probably be a better bet for reading most books than the colour Kindle (which is much more expensive). My Dell has a very good screen, but its not very convenient to read in bed, so a Kindle Paper White looks like the next purchase.

I know, I know, "real TV posters never read in bed, they are all fully occupied with downing tinnies and sh...ng themselves silly day and night - with occasional forays to get beaten-up by Pattaya ladyboys.

But I still manage to prop the book up and read a few chapters over her shoulder while she is doing her nails. "How was it for you dear" - "don't smudge my nails when your turning the page" - so a Kindle will add a touch of romance. "just touch the screen lightly for me honey bunch, mmmm that was sooo good, do it again".

On of the good problems of living in Thailand for a long time is that you are always on holiday in an exotic location so to speak and you have seen it all and done it all and that means you have more time to read. You can always put a book on the bar whilst drinking, talking to the girls, watching the go-go and playing with the bricks. But I suppose that must be what's known as "jaded".

I don't think I will bother to get the Kindle Win 8 app unless I was to trip over one in somewhere unmentionable on TV. If its Win 8 it's not going to get my vote. unless its for the worst software ever except Vista.

Thanks I will look further into that.smile.png Sounds like it could be what I'm looking for as they describe it as the tablet that can replace your laptop!

I guess I would have to go to Bangkok to find one of those? I am in Pattaya I couldn't imagine anywhere having one here?

At my office in BKK there are a couple of Surface Pro 3's (i7's I think), some Surface keyboards and docking stations - all brand new, still in box. We bought a bunch of them for a project and these are left over. Now just collecting dust so would sell cheap. If you're interested PM me and I'll get more details

I have Dell laptop, Nexus 7, Samsung smartphone 6 and my latest love thing from Sweden. A Chrome book Samsung. I really could not fix my life in Thailand without any of them. Why? First. If someone, of them, get sick. I STILL have 3 "friends" that can help me.

Nexus 7. and my Samsung 6. I am using them for borrow E-books (free) from library in Sweden. Read newspaper. Look Sweden TV and movies (HBO, Netflix) Sitting in my sofa. Casting with chromecast to big TV. Working very good.

Chroomebook Samsung - easy to use as everything above - VERY fast to start up - and here you have a very good keyboard. If I want to go to Thaivisa and tell about my thoughts. I use this Chroomebook. Before I had a galaxy samsung 10 - It was Ok but the keeboard was not as good as this on the CB - and some times no energi in the keeboard because empty battery

My Dell laptop is very fast - But take too long time to start up!! I use only for my banking buisness. Chromebook dont work with our system in Sweden. A question of security. But always some shit happen in this machine. About virus and other shit. So I think I will not buy a new laptop if I can do my banking in the future, with the chromebook. As a matter of fact I have never had any problem with Smartphone Chromebook. and tablet N7. But my laptop. Always. Always.Problem. I have to clean, the machine many times

I also want to mention that I like google products very much. Before microsoft. As I work more easy with them. But as everybody knows it is a matter of taste. And at the end when we/you choose the devises or computers. You have to like them with combination what you are going to use them for.

I 'think' what all of this is telling the OP is (the fact that I have fully embraced) that there is no one perfect device, you need multiple.

I love my Mac Air for it's all around functionality.

I love my Kindle for reading books

I love my iPad for it's kitchen worthy recipe reading

I love my Oppo Find7 for general mobile apps on the go

As for my Alienware Win7 laptop, well it sits in the corner doing it's file sharing thing

I can't imagine using anything but an Apple iPad. The apps are so much better than android. The ipad is elegant.

Check out the 32 Gb ipad 2 minis at the Apple store. Great price because it's an older model.