What are the hidden little gems of Bangkok Night Entertainment?

flyDelight

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with overherebc.

If you let the cat out of the bag everything changes.

Many examples in Thailand.

Koh Samui

Koa San road

Pattaya a big one

Chiang mai

Now if person finds a good place they want to keep it to themselves instead of making it into tourist trap..

And as far as Bangkok is concerned even more reason not to make it public on a forum. Too easy for many to access. Can get there for price of a taxi.

As others have commented above, why would anyone with such knowledge wish to so devalue it as to give it to every idle gawker who wishes to add another notch to their 'traveller' credentials, thereby rendering it as squalid as Walking Street or Soi 4 Sukhumvit?

Certainly, I know some splendid places of the type the OP asks. I know them as result of decades of experience. They are precious and only to be divulged to close acquaintances, at my discretion, as is my privilege.

Go find your own.

As others have commented above, why would anyone with such knowledge wish to so devalue it as to give it to every idle gawker who wishes to add another notch to their 'traveller' credentials, thereby rendering it as squalid as Walking Street or Soi 4 Sukhumvit?

Certainly, I know some splendid places of the type the OP asks. I know them as result of decades of experience. They are precious and only to be divulged to close acquaintances, at my discretion, as is my privilege.

Go find your own.

I too have come to know some from decades of experience. Unfortunately most of them have disappeared or been turned into tourist traps.

I can think of a few. But they wouldn't be improved by an influx of Thaivisa readers.

I've lived in Bangkok for 7+ years and I can't think of any places that are what I'd call hidden. Actually I can think of one place but it is hardly a secret.

Everywhere gets publicised either in BK Magazine or on Facebook. The only reason a place might seem to be a hidden gem is a) it's so new it hasn't yet appeared in BK or B) you are not reading the right sources to learn about the new places.

The OP mentioned Sing Sing - That is hardly a hidden gem!!

Here is a short list of places the OP may not know

Tuba - Between Thonglor and Ekkamai

Moose Bar - same street as Tuba

Maggie Choo's - Basement of the Novotel in Silom

Smalls - Suan Phlu

The Rabbit Hole - cocktail bar between Thonglor Soi 5 & 7

J. Boroski - cocktail bar close to The rabbit Hole

and there are many more......

Are you going by yourself ?

or with Thais who like to go out in groups ,

I am sure there are a lot of places , local outdoor beer gardens etc in Thai areas ,

but without speaking Thai you are not going to really fit in ,

At least for me that would not be "fun"

The OP highlighted Sing Sing as the type of place he's looking for.

I doubt very much he's going to be interested in local outdoor beer gardens.

Not that they aren't fun now and again with the right friends, but I'd much rather be inside with air conditioning and no bugs.

And local outdoor Thai beer gardens are hardly 'hidden gems' in the context of the OPs OP.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jboroski-Mixology/476234245812106

http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/bangkok-bar-club/rabbit-hole

2 of my favourite cocktail bars.

The originator made absolutely no mention of bars per se, but nearly every response could come up with nothing other than. That sums up Bangkok nicely as a cultural desert, which it is compared to cities or even small towns in Europe, the US, Australia. I once went to a small theatre down near the river, and the organisation and facilities were very poor and the performance ordinary. As with many things in Thailand, you are going to have to put up with second-rate at best. Certainly there are 'hidden gems', but most are related to drinking, not culture.

Tawandang is superb, but not small or hidden. Free to enter, but you have to eat. Show is 8 to 10 (check this) but get there earlier to settle and order. It is a very well choreographed musical cabaret, with about 98% Thai audience. Smoking not allowed. Children welcomed. Vocal, dance and costume quality are really high. 12 piece orchestra top notch. Expect to spend 1000B each including a couple of drinks each. Best to get a Thai to book and they should argue hard for a good view table as your table will be allocated when you book. It's busy and hectic and worth it. Book in advance especially Fri/Sat. Enjoy.

Tawandang is superb, but not small or hidden. Free to enter, but you have to eat. Show is 8 to 10 (check this) but get there earlier to settle and order. It is a very well choreographed musical cabaret, with about 98% Thai audience. Smoking not allowed. Children welcomed. Vocal, dance and costume quality are really high. 12 piece orchestra top notch. Expect to spend 1000B each including a couple of drinks each. Best to get a Thai to book and they should argue hard for a good view table as your table will be allocated when you book. It's busy and hectic and worth it. Book in advance especially Fri/Sat. Enjoy.

There are multiple Tawandangs in BKK, Tawandang German Brewery on Rama III and Issan style Tawandangs on other side (Pattanakarn?).

I assume you are talking about Tawandang on Rama III?

Edited by HidyHo

Go find your own.

With an attitude like

that, I doubt anyone

would want to be

within 200 meters of

you anyway so

please do keep 'em

to yourself.

Instead of being so

'up-your-own-ass'

about it, you could

have just not

responded.

There are multiple Tawandangs in BKK, Tawandang German Brewery on Rama III and Issan style Tawandangs on other side (Pattanakarn?).

I assume you are talking about Tawandang on Rama III?

There are three branches of Tawandang German Brewery - the other two are in Ram Intra and Chaeng Wattana.

I agree, it's a fun night out.

Tawadaeng Phattanakan (sic) has two places directly across the street from each other - Rong Lao (โรงเหล้า) and Isaan. Rong Lao has a live band intermixed with a DJ, while Isaan focuses on singers and shows - Rong Lao attracting a younger crowd. Both are filled primarily with Thais, with a small number of Farang coming with their girls (typically). As one would expect, they have a distinct Isaan style to them, and as such tend to attract Isaan folks who live in BKK. You do not need to eat at either one. I have gone many times for a single beer or a pitcher. Rong Lao has the beer towers, if you like those. The draft beer at Rong Loa is pretty good, and the food excellent. Service is excellent, but degrades slightly as it gets full. You can get into either place before 11pm with a reservation, except on certain holidays or special events, and usually need no reservation even after 12pm. I enjoy them a lot, as you get to see Thai's partying and having a great time, and the music is great.

I used to know one.
But they've moved.
Patravadi theater was an awesome dinner theater with great shows in both music and acting.

They were on the west side of the river, but have moved. To Soi Wat Rakhang, wherever that is.
If anyone has recently attended a show at Patravadi, I for one would be interested in finding out about it.

Go find your own.

With an attitude like

that, I doubt anyone

would want to be

within 200 meters of

you anyway so

please do keep 'em

to yourself.

Instead of being so

'up-your-own-ass'

about it, you could

have just not

responded.

Equally you didn't need to demonstrate your attitude with a comment such as "up your own ass"

I know what sort of clientele I want to see in a place and it sure as hell isn't people who have that attitude towards people.

Then again the places I like and recommend wouldn't appeal to the happy hour chasing, local beer drinking blokes anyway.