International Drivers License vs Thai Drivers License

ftpjtm

When I got my initial 2 year license I was given a practical test, which checked for color blindness, depth perception and reaction time. Will I be required to take this practical test when I get my permanent (5 year) license and subsequent licenses or is it just a matter of paying the fee and filing the paperwork?

Yes you do, and it applies to Thais as well.

I went for my first license with my niece as she was going from the one year to 5 year. We took the tests together which was handy as the lady carrying out the tests couldn't speak English very well.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another thread it says;

1) I need a document from the US Embassy, which costs $50 in order to get a Thai License. and;

2) At least at the Chonburi DMV it has been reported that with an ME Tourist Visa, 5 year licenses are not available after expiration of a 1 year license. And all the documents are required for the follow on 1 year license.

So it seems to be a much bigger hassle and much more expensive to get a new Thai Drivers License each year vs an International Drivers Permit (yes, I checked and what I have is called a Permit, not a license).

That document you mention is residency certificate, (proof of residency).

OK, browsing the "Requirements for Obtaining and Renewing a 1 Year Driving License" in the Pattaya Forum;

1) I need a Residency Certificate issued by the US Embassay in BKK, cost $50.

2) If I have a short term Visa, including ME Tourist or O, I can only get a 1 year licenses, and upon renewal can again only get a 1 year license.

3) Cost of the license is 500TB + 200TB for health cert + US$50 for residency cert + cost of translating documents. Not to mention the cost of traveling to BKK. Not to mention the frustration of doing all this.

And again, I can get the International Permit in 10 minutes, at a location 10 minutes from my home in the US, for $20.

So getting the Permit is far cheaper and exponentially more convenient.

I just want to know if there are any pitfalls in case of an accident or serious traffic violation.

Complete rubbish, and I say this from experience, I got my Thai drivers license 3 weeks ago in Chiang Mai after driving here for years on an IDP.

1. Residency certificate is available from Immigration, costs nothing. If you can't be bothered waiting (can take anywhere from 3-10 days so I've been told) I paid 500 baht for an immigration agent to get it for me in 24 hours.

2. They are issued for 2 YEARS NOW, not one year. I know everyone calls them "1 year licenses" (including everyone here on Thaivisa who got them 5,10, 20+ years ago) but I'm happy to post a picture of mine that shows 2 years. I checked around, apparently it changed last year.

3: License was 205 baht for 2 years, 100 baht for medical certificate (can be done cheaper, I went to a major hospital) + 500 baht (for me, can be done for free) for residency certificate, and there was ZERO need to have any of it translated: ie, you get the residency certificate from Immigration, it's in Thai to begin with.

Is there an Department of Land Transport Office where you live? if the answer is yes, and presuming your wife still remembers how to speak Thai, once you get the medical + residency certificate it takes exactly 1 hour in one of those offices and all you need is the form filled out, photocopies of your passport page, entry stamp/ departure slip, drivers license from the US (in my case I have a valid Australian license) and you do a colour blind test and have your photo taken, that's all there is to it.

If you are colour blind can you still get a licence?

I am colour blind and I have licences in three countries.

OK, browsing the "Requirements for Obtaining and Renewing a 1 Year Driving License" in the Pattaya Forum;

2) If I have a short term Visa, including ME Tourist or O, I can only get a 1 year licenses, and upon renewal can again only get a 1 year license.

3) Cost of the license is 500TB + 200TB for health cert + US$50 for residency cert + cost of translating documents. Not to mention the cost of traveling to BKK. Not to mention the frustration of doing all this.

And again, I can get the International Permit in 10 minutes, at a location 10 minutes from my home in the US, for $20.

I just want to know if there are any pitfalls in case of an accident or serious traffic violation.

Complete rubbish, and I say this from experience, I got my Thai drivers license 3 weeks ago in Chiang Mai after driving here for years on an IDP.

1. Residency certificate is available from Immigration, costs nothing. If you can't be bothered waiting (can take anywhere from 3-10 days so I've been told) I paid 500 baht for an immigration agent to get it for me in 24 hours.

2. They are issued for 2 YEARS NOW, not one year. I know everyone calls them "1 year licenses" (including everyone here on Thaivisa who got them 5,10, 20+ years ago) but I'm happy to post a picture of mine that shows 2 years. I checked around, apparently it changed last year.

3: License was 205 baht for 2 years, 100 baht for medical certificate (can be done cheaper, I went to a major hospital) + 500 baht (for me, can be done for free) for residency certificate, and there was ZERO need to have any of it translated: ie, you get the residency certificate from Immigration, it's in Thai to begin with.

Is there an Department of Land Transport Office where you live? if the answer is yes, and presuming your wife still remembers how to speak Thai, once you get the medical + residency certificate it takes exactly 1 hour in one of those offices and all you need is the form filled out, photocopies of your passport page, entry stamp/ departure slip, drivers license from the US (in my case I have a valid Australian license) and you do a colour blind test and have your photo taken, that's all there is to it.

If you are colour blind can you still get a licence?

I am colour blind and I have licences in three countries.

There is only one way to find out. You have to take a colour blindness test and as colour blindness is variable it really is a question of if you are allowed to pass.

In all the tests there appears to be a certain amount of 'judgement' exercised.

I recall reading on TV that all I needed for a Thai DL is my home country's DL and the IDP. Not true?

Not quite sure what you are asking. If you have an IDP its not required that you take a vehicle or written tests. Everyone has to take the physical tests, colour blindness,reaction, depth perception and peripheral vision.

There can be variations on supporting documents depending on the office. I did mine at Muang Chonburi and they were only interested in the IDP, never even looked at my UK license, but that may not be the case elsewhere.

Check up on your local office.

I recall reading on TV that all I needed for a Thai DL is my home country's DL and the IDP. Not true?

Not quite sure what you are asking. If you have an IDP its not required that you take a vehicle or written tests. Everyone has to take the physical tests, colour blindness,reaction, depth perception and peripheral vision.

There can be variations on supporting documents depending on the office. I did mine at Muang Chonburi and they were only interested in the IDP, never even looked at my UK license, but that may not be the case elsewhere.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was asking if the medical certificate and certificate of residence are still required.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was asking if the medical certificate and certificate of residence are still required.

Yes, they are.

Don't understand the "residency" rom the US embassy - I showed my address in Thailand and I think Thai immigration certified that.

make sure any insurance is happy with an IDP

There are some posts saying that certain Immigration offices (such as Chiang Mai) used to supply Residency Certificates, but no longer do. Now one must get them from the US Embassy (for Americans). I'm assuming the same holds true of Jomtiem, as a post or two mentioned certificates only being available at the US Embassy on the Pattaya Forum.

And yes, I suppose I ought to check on the insurance with that provider.

Chiang Mai Immigration supplies Residence Certificates, they never stopped doing so.

I can't remember the costs of a Thai licence i'm sure it's less than $20 - I'm sure someone will post that.

You will need to get 2 international PERMITS every time you come - they aren't licences; they are translations of your home licence according to an international treaty.

If you get a 1 year Thai licence the next year you should be able get a 5 year one.

Having Thai licence helps in a lot of interactions with the authorities...not just on the road - I use mine as ID in a lot of instances.

You may find that insurance looks more benignly on a Thai licence too.

If you are prepared to jump through hoops for the first year and the 5 year renewal, I'd say in the long term it is worth it.

Translated into what?

I can't remember the costs of a Thai licence i'm sure it's less than $20 - I'm sure someone will post that.

You will need to get 2 international PERMITS every time you come - they aren't licences; they are translations of your home licence according to an international treaty.

If you get a 1 year Thai licence the next year you should be able get a 5 year one.

Having Thai licence helps in a lot of interactions with the authorities...not just on the road - I use mine as ID in a lot of instances.

If you are prepared to jump through hoops for the first year and the 5 year renewal, I'd say in the long term it is worth it.

Translated into what?

into an internationally agreed format in English and French according to the convention on Road traffic, 1949. - you do realise that some countries don't have English as the first language, so the permit has various other languages in it as well eg. - Arabic Chinese Russian

Edited by cumgranosalum

Translated into what?

into an internationally agreed format in English and French according to the convention on Road traffic, 1949. - you do realise that some countries don't have English as the first language, so the permit has various other languages in it as well eg. - Arabic Chinese Russian
Thai?

Translated into what?

Thai?

Why would they have Thai - it's not a language of treaties or even a major world language - it's an INTERNATIONAL driving permit. however I'm sure you could get a translation signed by a notary if you were so inclined.

Translated into what?

Thai?

Why would they have Thai - it's not a language of treaties or even a major world language - it's an INTERNATIONAL driving permit. however I'm sure you could get a translation signed by a notary if you were so inclined.

Just trying to work out the point of them. I've yet to find one.

Translated into what?

Thai?

Bit like a Fortuna then Jase.facepalm.gif

Translated into what?

Thai?

Bit like a Fortuna then Jase.facepalm.gif

My neighbour dinged their Turdota Eyesore yesterday. Only had it a month.

Don't understand the "residency" rom the US embassy - I showed my address in Thailand and I think Thai immigration certified that.

make sure any insurance is happy with an IDP

There are some posts saying that certain Immigration offices (such as Chiang Mai) used to supply Residency Certificates, but no longer do. Now one must get them from the US Embassy (for Americans). I'm assuming the same holds true of Jomtiem, as a post or two mentioned certificates only being available at the US Embassy on the Pattaya Forum.

And yes, I suppose I ought to check on the insurance with that provider.

Chiang Mai Immigration supplies Residence Certificates, they never stopped doing so.

near one year ago in Chiang mai do not give Residence Certificates on tourist visa, but its be dew week and after not problem, but not in same day as in Pattaya.

Quick question on Thai DL if not hijacking thread.

I obtained a 1 year license Many (many) years ago and let it lapse - do I have to apply for a new one as if first time or will they let me renew/update it?

Quick question on Thai DL if not hijacking thread.

I obtained a 1 year license Many (many) years ago and let it lapse - do I have to apply for a new one as if first time or will they let me renew/update it?

Depends on the DLT you go to, usually up to one year lapse allowed.

I guess you will have to start over but you will get a 2 year one now.

Update from the OP.

Okay, so I took the advise of many here and made an attempt at getting a Thai Drivers license. Again, taking advise from this forum, and from neighbors we went to the Rayong office vs the Pattaya office. Per the advise of neighbors we left at 6am to get a good spot in line. We took along a neighbor who needed to renew her drivers license, and my wife and I intended on applying for new licenses, as my wife's last Thai DL expired 7 years ago.

We arrived at 7am and got a place in line. The line grew longer and longer as the 8am opening approached. At approximately 7:50 forms were put out on a table, and everyone in line was informed they should have a completed one upon arriving at the (still closed) window. Mayhem broke out as the line disintegrated, and re-formed putting us substantially farther back. Finally at 8am the window opened, and we waited our turn. Arriving at the window, the neighbor was scheduled for a 10am movie session, and the wife and I were told that in order to apply for a new license, we must make an appointment, and the earliest available in Rayon was some time in August, at which time we will be back home in the states. We were told that these appointments can be made on line, BTW, and we were told that if we drove 1 hour farther from home the office in Tha Chang? may be able to accommodate us earlier.

We decided to wait for the neighbor to finish the "easy" task of renewing her license, and drive back home. After the neighbor was done with her gore movie, we drove home stopping at our insurance office and enquiring about whether or not our insurance is valid in if the driver is using an International Drivers Permit. We were told that it absolutely is.

So for now, the plan is for my wife to possibly make an attempt at getting a license in her up country home town, where she knows people and things always are theoretically accomplished more easily, and I dropped all plans of getting a Thai license. Per the OP we are only here 3 months per year, and plan to keep our US license's up to date indefinitely. Getting an International Drivers Permit is a 20 minute job in the US, and we spent half a day two days in a row preparing documents (Dr Cert and Residency Permit), walking away from the local bureaucracy empty handed.

And I have yet to see any compelling reason why having a Thai license is of benefit to someone like me, spending 3 months per year here.

Edited by ftpjtm

Update from the OP.

Okay, so I took the advise of many here and made an attempt at getting a Thai Drivers license. Again, taking advise from this forum, and from neighbors we went to the Rayong office vs the Pattaya office. Per the advise of neighbors we left at 6am to get a good spot in line. We took along a neighbor who needed to renew her drivers license, and my wife and I intended on applying for new licenses, as my wife's last Thai DL expired 7 years ago.

We arrived at 7am and got a place in line. The line grew longer and longer as the 8am opening approached. At approximately 7:50 forms were put out on a table, and everyone in line was informed they should have a completed one upon arriving at the (still closed) window. Mayhem broke out as the line disintegrated, and re-formed putting us substantially farther back. Finally at 8am the window opened, and we waited our turn. Arriving at the window, the neighbor was scheduled for a 10am movie session, and the wife and I were told that in order to apply for a new license, we must make an appointment, and the earliest available in Rayon was some time in August, at which time we will be back home in the states. We were told that these appointments can be made on line, BTW, and we were told that if we drove 1 hour farther from home the office in Tha Chang? may be able to accommodate us earlier.

We decided to wait for the neighbor to finish the "easy" task of renewing her license, and drive back home. After the neighbor was done with her gore movie, we drove home stopping at our insurance office and enquiring about whether or not our insurance is valid in if the driver is using an International Drivers Permit. We were told that it absolutely is.

So for now, the plan is for my wife to possibly make an attempt at getting a license in her up country home town, where she knows people and things always are theoretically accomplished more easily, and I dropped all plans of getting a Thai license. Per the OP we are only here 3 months per year, and plan to keep our US license's up to date indefinitely. Getting an International Drivers Permit is a 20 minute job in the US, and we spent half a day two days in a row preparing documents (Dr Cert and Residency Permit), walking away from the local bureaucracy empty handed.

And I have yet to see any compelling reason why having a Thai license is of benefit to someone like me, spending 3 months per year here.

Up to you, but you don't even need an idp, your home license is sufficient.

Update from the OP.

Depends where you live, not acceptable in Loei.

Update from the OP.

If police does not accept it, don't pay the fine.

Legally an IDP is not required, no matter how much the Loei police disagrees according to one poster here.

Update from the OP.

Legally an IDP is not required, no matter how much the Loei police disagrees according to one poster here.

really? you clearly do not have a clue about thai police?

From what country?

And why you sa it?

biggrin.png

in any traffic situation having a thai license is a bonus. Cops see that and they pretty much let you go unless you are something my something majorly wrong (from experience). They are also useful for many things otherwise like getting discounts at national parks (sometimes) and can be used instead of a passport for checking my into hotels (sometimes)

It's much better to have it than an international driving permit which is basically useless.

in any traffic situation having a thai license is a bonus. Cops see that and they pretty much let you go unless you are something my something majorly wrong (from experience). They are also useful for many things otherwise like getting discounts at national parks (sometimes) and can be used instead of a passport for checking my into hotels (sometimes)

It's much better to have it than an international driving permit which is basically useless.

"1) I need a Residency Certificate issued by the US Embassay in BKK, cost $50." - I think it's been decided that this isn't necessary - you can get from immigration.

"2) If I have a short term Visa, including ME Tourist or O, I can only get a 1 year licenses, and upon renewal can again only get a 1 year license." - I thought it had also been pointed out that it is a 2 year licence?

Edited by cumgranosalum