Village headman gunned down in front of home in Krabi

webfact

Village headman gunned down in front of home
Phuket Gazette

kra.jpeg
Village Headman Chanwit Jantharak was gunned down while attempting to leave his home. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: Krabi Police are hunting for a gang of men that gunned down an influential village headman (Phu Yai Baan) in Krabi on Tuesday.

Chanwit Jantharak, 50, was shot about 10 times while attempting to leave his home in Mueang Krabi district about 5:30pm, said Krabi Provincial Police Commander Nunthadej Yoinual.

“Mr Chanwit’s wife told us that at least three men in a tan Toyota Vigo pick-up truck shot at her husband at the gate of their house, and then immediately sped away,” Maj Gen Nunthadej said.

“She believes that the men were waiting outside their home for her husband to leave.”

Mr Chanwit was taken to Krabi Hospital where he died from his injuries at about 9pm..

Police believe that the motive may have been either political or business related.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Village-headman-gunned-down-front-home/63179?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-18

Boggles my mind how anybody could do this. Kill a family man in cold blood. Unreal.

Condolences to the surviving family.

how many years have you been here!!!...for pitys sake I have seen things get more evil here with each passing decade (when people finally take off the rose tints, they see very clearly this place is full of wicked people)

PYB of AoLuk has/had a LOT of power

He must have really upset someone, shot once no 10 times, made sure he would never live to tell about it.

It just takes excessive greed. My wife's relative was shot to death at the traffic lights...she was a politician but the suspect was in competition with her in a business. The gunmen were caught but the suspected middleman 'poisoned themselves' before being caught and questioned. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Nice peace loving Buddhists my a**.

He must have really upset someone, shot once no 10 times, made sure he would never live to tell about it.

It just takes excessive greed. My wife's relative was shot to death at the traffic lights...she was a politician but the suspect was in competition with her in a business. The gunmen were caught but the suspected middleman 'poisoned themselves' before being caught and questioned. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Nice peace loving Buddhists my a**.

A person that does that is not a Buddhist. I don't care how often he goes to temple or offers at the home shrine. Buddhist in name only.. Not a real Buddhist. Same with a man who claims to be a Christian goes to church every Sunday and prays at home who murders somebody... Christian in name only Not a real Christian.

There are in fact a great many peace loving Buddhists.. Don't paint everybody with a broad brush and accuse all because of what one does.

Two of the best men I ever met in my 65 years were holy men.

One was an elderly Augustinian monk priest who still said the Traditional Latin Mass at the altar against the wall. He refused to go along with the Vatican II Council changes of the early 1960's. A very peaceful man. I could feel the holiness when in his presence.

The other was an elderly Theravada Buddhist monk.....widely respected in northern Thailand. A very peaceful man.. I could also feel the holiness in this elderly monks presence.

Those two men lived, breathed and truly belonged to their respective faiths... lived their faiths 24/7 365 days a year... setting a good example for the rest of us.

Don't generalize because of a few bad people who only pretend and do lip service to their faith.. and go out and commit monstrous crimes. Those people are not real Christians or real Buddhists..

My brother in law is a Phu Yai Baan not corrupt and does his best to look after all. Some opposition who are corrupt and want the power of his position are threatening his life currently not such a good job if you are honest or corrupt. Always trying to be overthrown or undermined

...wow....

...The Wild West....uh.....East....

...what is the point of striving.....

....there have been stories of 'successful foreign and Thai businessmen' gunned down in front of their homes.....

...so how can you ever get ahead...

The murder stats for those involved or close to local political figures in this country are through the roof, particularly low-level like phoo yai bahn and or bor tor. They tend to spike in the months before elections when the majority of victims are "canvassers". These are not like canvassers in the West but rather they are the go-betweens who arrange village or other grouping block votes. Often they are the phoo yai bahn or his people for that village but not always.

Add to that the endemic corruption, the ubiquitous availability of guns and hitmen and the involvement of the police in the murder business and the result is very high numbers killed in local politics.

How many of these village heads get murdered, over the years there are plenty because they are corrupt.

We have recently had issues with one that has lied and cheated my wife.

Quite a few,it's hardly surprising when greed and corruption are the main reason for becoming one.

The heartless git from the girlfriends village didn't even have the decency to distribute the free bicycles a couple of years back,out of something like 250 that were available around about 10 were distributed to the villagers.

While not particularly high profile stuff it goes to show how low down the chain these people are prepared to rob their own.

A person that does that is not a Buddhist. I don't care how often he goes to temple or offers at the home shrine. Buddhist in name only.. Not a real Buddhist. Same with a man who claims to be a Christian goes to church every Sunday and prays at home who murders somebody... Christian in name only Not a real Christian.

There are in fact a great many peace loving Buddhists.. Don't paint everybody with a broad brush and accuse all because of what one does.

Two of the best men I ever met in my 65 years were holy men.

One was an elderly Augustinian monk priest who still said the Traditional Latin Mass at the altar against the wall. He refused to go along with the Vatican II Council changes of the early 1960's. A very peaceful man. I could feel the holiness when in his presence.

The other was an elderly Theravada Buddhist monk.....widely respected in northern Thailand. A very peaceful man.. I could also feel the holiness in this elderly monks presence.

Those two men lived, breathed and truly belonged to their respective faiths... lived their faiths 24/7 365 days a year... setting a good example for the rest of us.

Don't generalize because of a few bad people who only pretend and do lip service to their faith.. and go out and commit monstrous crimes. Those people are not real Christians or real Buddhists..

Who said these killers claimed a religion ?

Boggles my mind how anybody could do this. Kill a family man in cold blood. Unreal.

how many years have you been here!!!...for pitys sake I have seen things get more evil here with each passing decade (when people finally take off the rose tints, they see very clearly this place is full of wicked people)

PYB of AoLuk has/had a LOT of power

I think Clint Eastwood has taken over from Muay Thai as the National sport.

It even happens in the US.

Mel Bundy to Newsmax: Cops Killed Rancher 'In Cold Blood'

Edited by TheCruncher