It's not okay: What Thais really mean by 'Mai Pen Rai'

webfact

It should be spelled Mi pin Li.The average Thai can not say the letter R. it's the same as Kap Koon Krap it should be spelled Kap Koon Kap,or Cop,cause they don't say the letter R.

As for what it means simple ,no sweat.

What is that no sweat?

But when I hear a Thai say it, it sounds like .... marble eye.

How?? They can't say"R"

Of course they can, they are just "lazy" when speaking. However, funny thing is that a whole bunch does pronounce "R" the cases where they should use "L", and in general they are just switching.

If i wish someone to pronounce my name somewhat close what it really is, i should say my name is "Lonni" and not "Ronni", then they will get it fairly close.

This "mai pen rai" term is a rather simple concept and strikingly similar to the English terms "it's ok"...."don't worry about it," that sort of thing. In other words, it depends greatly on the context. Sometimes you mean it, sometimes you don't. For example, if you had a lunch date with friends and you couldn't make it for some reason, the friends will probably say "mai pen rai," or don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. If you had a date with a hottie that you've look forward to for days and she had to cancel, you'd probably respond in a civil way and say "mai pen rai" when in fact, you may be deeply disappointed.

On a more serious note, if your wife caused an auto accident which resulted in the death of your child, you may say "mai pen rai" or "it's not your fault," only because you know she's grieving as much as you are, no need to beat her over the head with it. Now if some drunk driver caused the accident, a Thai certainly wouldn't say mai pen rai to the guy.

So westerners and Thais use the exact same type of terms when faced with similar situations. People shouldn't try to highlight differences because there aren't any.

In my experience it depends on the context and what comes after 'Mai pen rai'. After my second year here my (now ex) wife and I went to the imported goods customs to collect rather a lot a sports equipment from England (which at the time was not available in Thailand). There was one hell of an argument between my wife and the documentation officer who said I had to pay 25% import tax. She claimed that the tax was high because I was a foreigner. Anyway, eventually, talking to others there, the tax rate was lowered a bit but still high and my wife just blurted 'Mai pen rai jai ko dai' which in this case meant 'if that's what we have to pay so be it' She didn't use any 'polite marker' so expressed her feeling of being treated unfairly. Watching western movies dubbed in Thai a child might cry and be cuddled by the parent who says 'mai pen rai' where it was obvious from the lip reading the words were 'There, there' or something similar. I think in some circumstances it's probably used where more explanation is required but the speaker might use it as a shortened reply. But that is what makes learning Thai interesting eh?

One thing i probably wont ever fully accept in Thailand, is the mai pen rai attitude toward so much. Such issues and headaches it can bring, specially when me and my girlfriend was building house here. The mai pen rai attitude does not change the things, that people are actually annoyed about. I dont know how many times i heard this phrase, just to later hear someone telling how annoyed or bad it is. As an example, in the area where we live, people rely on water from the ground. A while back a guy on the street decided to make a ton of wells on his land at our street, so he could sell for plantations doing the dry season. Everyone was just mai pen rai about it, nobody taking actions against this even though everyones well ran dry, yet everyone complained about his back. Worst thing was that we had to dig an extra well, and what did my girlfriend do? hired the guy who caused the problem to begin with. But... mai pen rai....

That is not Mai pen rai. That is fear of confrontation or offending someone, another South-East Asian staple in the aberrant behaviour stakes.

One thing i probably wont ever fully accept in Thailand, is the mai pen rai attitude toward so much. Such issues and headaches it can bring, specially when me and my girlfriend was building house here. The mai pen rai attitude does not change the things, that people are actually annoyed about. I dont know how many times i heard this phrase, just to later hear someone telling how annoyed or bad it is. As an example, in the area where we live, people rely on water from the ground. A while back a guy on the street decided to make a ton of wells on his land at our street, so he could sell for plantations doing the dry season. Everyone was just mai pen rai about it, nobody taking actions against this even though everyones well ran dry, yet everyone complained about his back. Worst thing was that we had to dig an extra well, and what did my girlfriend do? hired the guy who caused the problem to begin with. But... mai pen rai....

That is not Mai pen rai. That is fear of confrontation or offending someone, another South-East Asian staple in the aberrant behaviour stakes.

It is mai pen rai attitude, and it is mai pen rai, when they rai mai pen rai, but behind the back got a HUGE butthurt. So yes, it has everything to do with mai pen rai.

Where I live "mai pen rai" is commonly used. In all its connotations.

And as for inability to pronounce "R " ? Listen to Thai news readers and note how they definately pronounce it and often with a rrrrroll ! My wife can and does so as well if she is speaking in a more formal situation. Krap is also clearly spoken with R and sometimes also with an extended roll which I have come to understand is being a bit cheeky. Krap, kap, also get used by women at times in an informal or friendly mischievious usage. The actual meaning of any variation remains a mystery to me anyway.biggrin.png

I have grown accustomed to the combination of L and N . The name Michael becomes quite original in sound.cheesy.gif But my wine will never be why !

So the Thai education system failed to teach the basic meaning of the phrase, so now Thais do not even understand the meaning. WOW great system, no wonder they are the hub of the third world.

Actually, Thailand is a developing nation and not 3rd world.

Thailand has been classified as an upper-middle income country since 2011.

That is quite a long way from "third world".

"One thing i probably wont ever fully accept in Thailand, is the mai pen rai attitude ..."

You're far too modest. I'm sure if that gets your knickers in a knot, you probably have a catalog of things you won't fully accept. There's a whole community of TV posters who are in a perpetual state of apoplexy.

I love this...and you used my favourite "a" word too.

I think it's the same as UP TO YOU, which as we'll know means over my dead body, or don't even think about it.

Which as we all know, actually means........................."whatever" ...... or...... "I don't care, just suggest something, and I go along with it".

Mai Pen Rai has developed into meaning......I don't give a F..ck!

Read an article by a Thai scholar a few months ago, he was warning the country to get rid of the Mai Pen Rai attitude.

Me thinks the author is over thinking the phrase and doesn't comprehend that it's no different in English.

"It's OK" can mean a multitude of things in English.

Here's the Kiwi equivalent of Mai-bpen-rai.

"Aw yeah no, s'okay, cheu bro, no worries." which can be used in at least as many ways as the Thai equivalent. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Chuea bro eh but i thought the kiwi equivalent was yeah yeah na

It should be spelled Mi pin Li.The average Thai can not say the letter R. it's the same as Kap Koon Krap it should be spelled Kap Koon Kap,or Cop,cause they don't say the letter R.

As for what it means simple ,no sweat.

Not too sure about that champ heard many thai males say khup khun khrap quite clearly with a big emphasis on the khrrrrrap