Major Police Activity at Zoe Area Tonight

PostmanPat

Better not advertise water then.....its dangerous stuff, people have been known to drown in it!

I can to a certain extent understand why governments (And not just Thai) want to cut down on advertising of tobbacco and alcohol, but why for the life of me go to the extreme of telling bars that they can display their products with the labels in the front?

Hell bells, why do people (Adults mainly) go to bars in the first place, they know whats being sold there...its not as if its a secret. It would be like going to a library (Do they still exist?) and all the books are hidden away cause their titles may offend someone.

For the life of me, I thought Id seen and heard of some BS but this really takes the cake. My gut feeling is that its just the one nut job throwing his weight and intimidating bar owners/workers. One hope karma cuts in and he gets his comeuppance.

Dreams are free....

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are driving and they want to see the passport, I always show them a driver's license. They never question more.

I would never submit to being urine tested. There is no probable cause and even if there might be, the conditions at a police station are not conducive to ensuring there is no contamination or, heaven forbid, corruption.

By the way, all this is a storm in a teacup. There is little national news coverage of this and zero international. Why should there be? Top officials have other things to do than worry about whining foreign tourists who don't stay in 5-star hotels (the kind of tourist they wish to attract to Thailand).

....Better chance of finding 'users' in a venue like that rather than at the temple on Doi Suthep. When you want fish, you don't look in the desert.

Back in the day I always found a certain area up on Doi Suthep to be a great place to purchase some Thai dirt weed and also a great place to hang around and smoke a doobie and kill some time in the afternoon.

About the only places left in town where deadbeat westerners congregate openly are the burger joints. Who knows, maybe burgers could be a threat to peace and order!

"deadbeat westerners"? Are you referring to tourists, working expats or retirees? Why such a pejorative term?

Sigh......it's a tongue-in-cheek statement reflective of the real or perceived attitude by government officials towards westerners of all types resulting in police/ government interference of ordinary, law abiding people going about their business, as described in detail in this topic and many more on Thai Visa. Why such a opprobrious question? Are you worried about your burger joint being raided?

I take it you're new to Thai visa. Useful tip; irony and sarcasm don't work, regardless of how obvious you think it might be.

People take posts at face value. I read your post and assumed you were one of many posters who think all people who go to popular nightspots are evil and deserve bad treatment. If you read the entire thread you'll find posts that complement the RTP on their outrageous behavior. My apologies for my mistake. And no, I don't own a burger joint.

As it has already been stated, carry a copy with you at all times if you're heading to places known for police raids.

It's really that simple. No need to freak out about it.

To the gentleman who laminated a smaller version, excellent idea. Keeps it dry.

And always, this too will blow over in a week or two, if even that long.

I have been visiting Thailand as a tourist for well over three decades and to date I haven't seen any official policy/law "requiring a passport to be carried at all times by the holder" documented that a tourist would be expected to be aware of.

Likewise, the vast amount of other countries, nearby and far afield, that I have visited over the years do not stipulate this as a requirement.

We use our passports to board aircraft/vessels then travel and pass through countries borders, it will then be used to check-in at hotels, before being deposited in a hotel safe where it has always remained unless required for a currency exchange transaction.

There is no indication of the policy/law on the "arrival card" that needs to be filled in, signage at airport immigration advising the policy/law is non-existent, the inked stamp in the passport makes no reference.

Airline tickets/itineraries do not give a warning, inbound flights that have a mandatory screening of the common do's and don'ts regarding Thailand also omit the policy.

It's rather amusing the source for my now enlightenment of this policy/law stems from a TV post with many contradictory claims from subscribers and also from Officials being quoted.

I just wouldn't want to take my passport out on a Chiang Mai rafting trip, a Phi Phi snorkeling tour or just relaxing on a Samui beach.

Same applies to nocturnal activities such as dining and sinking a few cold beers.

Best left in the hotel safe with our other valuables.

Would I be happy if enjoying a cold beer or a bite to eat, the area was then cordoned off with up to 100 Thai police officers, some armed with assault weapons, checking I.D's and having patrons urinating in cups? Definitely not.

The logic and reasons behind conducting such an exercise is flawed at best.

Having heavily armed presence at airports, significant tourist attractions or Governmental installations may be warranted and expected.

Bars and restaurants in a tourist orientated area, it just beggars belief.

One would have to assume terrorists originating from overseas have documentation available that has already passed scrutiny at the border.

Cursory checks of a persons ID do not unearth terrorists.

What tangible results would a raid like the one conducted produce?

Some people who may have overstayed their visas and some people who may have indulged in consumption of illegal narcotics perhaps.

There are far more effective ways of addressing these problems than a SWAT like team that was displayed but that is a topic in itself.

Am I becoming hesitant about future visits to our family in Thailand? You bet I am.

Glad I'm not an addicted Bridge player.

Also as a preferred retirement destination for us, it has began losing its appeal.

I do hope for the future that there is a shift in wind regarding the way Thailand is heading, and the remaining parts of its enticement for us is unaltered.

Please understand that it is a full color miniature of my passport page, front and back, laminated and trimmed so that it looks just like something that would be 'officially' produced. It's not just a black and white photo copy in a plastic sleeve. I've been asked by fellow expats who have seen them which government body offered this service.

I just wouldn't want to take my passport out on a Chiang Mai rafting trip, a Phi Phi snorkeling tour or just relaxing on a Samui beach.

I remember about 20 of us standing in the shower in military boot camp, when the Drill Instructors came in screaming at full volume demanding to see the Military ID cards we had just been issued that afternoon. We had been told to always have them with us. That meant always have them with us. We paid the price of not having them with a lot of extra PT.

On my first vacation trip to Thailand I was told to always have a copy of my passport with me at all times (though I doubt I'd need it in the shower...) That was 25+ years ago, so I imagine the law was in effect even back then. For the weight of a piece of paper, a lot of hassle can be avoided. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in any country.

Please understand that it is a full color miniature of my passport page, front and back, laminated and trimmed so that it looks just like something that would be 'officially' produced. It's not just a black and white photo copy in a plastic sleeve. I've been asked by fellow expats who have seen them which government body offered this service.

I remember about 20 of us standing in the shower in military boot camp, when the Drill Instructors came in screaming at full volume demanding to see the Military ID cards we had just been issued that afternoon. We had been told to always have them with us. That meant always have them with us. We paid the price of not having them with a lot of extra PT.

On my first vacation trip to Thailand I was told to always have a copy of my passport with me at all times (though I doubt I'd need it in the shower...) That was 25+ years ago, so I imagine the law was in effect even back then. For the weight of a piece of paper, a lot of hassle can be avoided. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in any country.

Besides the TDL I wonder if a smart phone image of passport & pages - marriage license - car book - resident cert. would suffice under this type of circumstance....Can't be altered and easy to keep/reference....Could work I'm thinking.....At least it's showingcompliance and maybe placate them.....

Besides the TDL I wonder if a smart phone image of passport & pages - marriage license - car book - resident cert. would suffice under this type of circumstance....Can't be altered and easy to keep/reference....Could work I'm thinking.....At least it's showingcompliance and maybe placate them.....

Perhaps... but one thing I learned when I was a teenager in retail commission sales was that

if you put the product into a person's hands, it sold itself. People want to feel like they are getting 'something' rather than just looking at it. Somehow, it just feels more 'real.' But certainly pictures would be better than absolutely nothing. It does, as you say, show compliance.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Weight is the not the issue, protection of ones most valuable travelling document is for me the critical part.

Ignorance of the law certainly is no excuse, however any and all laws should be enacted based on sound principle and purpose, free from ambiguity or obscurity and able to be readily observed by a general populace as a matter of course.

Glad I didn't pick up half a dozen packs of calligraphic Japanese pictorial playing cards before reaching Thailand as gifts ultimately for friends back here in NZ.

Initially, 37 years ago and my following sporadic dozen visits to the Kingdom leading up to last December, I had never been made aware of this policy/law, to me that spells obscurity.

Presumably there are a lot more people like yourself who have been made and are aware of the requirement, but likewise I am sure I cannot be the only person who was never been actively informed from the many travelling resources that I have used.

Weight is the not the issue, protection of ones most valuable travelling document is for me the critical part.

Ignorance of the law certainly is no excuse, however any and all laws should be enacted based on sound principle and purpose, free from ambiguity or obscurity and able to be readily observed by a general populace as a matter of course.

Should? This is Thailand. There is no 'should.'

A propos laws being able to be readily observed by a general populace as a matter of course, are you aware that;

In NZ (your home country, I believe,) if you find uranium in New Zealand and don't report it - in writing - to the Government within three months, you've broken the law?

Every high school may hold one pound of uranium and one pound of thorium, for conducting nuclear experiments?

Shopkeepers are required to use red ink to write the price on books or magazines that were sold in installments?

It’s illegal to fly with a rooster in a hot air balloon?

Silly? Sure. But the facts remain that EVERY country has laws that few have ever heard about, but CAN BE USED when the police are in need of a 'reason...'

Just be sure NOT to bring your chicken with you when you go ballooning. :)

That's what I carry. I use a scanner app on the phone and have a scan of every relevant page. It worked fine in Phuket the only time the BIG ever asked me for my passport. I'll try it again first time too. Meantime I'll keep a paper copy under the seat on the bike as in almost always on the bike here when I go out.

Glad I didn't pick up half a dozen packs of calligraphic Japanese pictorial playing cards before reaching Thailand as gifts ultimately for friends back here in NZ.

Initially, 37 years ago and my following sporadic dozen visits to the Kingdom leading up to last December, I had never been made aware of this policy/law, to me that spells obscurity.

Presumably there are a lot more people like yourself who have been made and are aware of the requirement, but likewise I am sure I cannot be the only person who was never been actively informed from the many travelling resources that I have used.

It is worth noting that "ignorance of the law is no defense" pretty much everywhere in the world.

Should? This is Thailand. There is no 'should.'

A propos laws being able to be readily observed by a general populace as a matter of course, are you aware that;

In NZ (your home country, I believe,) if you find uranium in New Zealand and don't report it - in writing - to the Government within three months, you've broken the law?

Every high school may hold one pound of uranium and one pound of thorium, for conducting nuclear experiments?

Shopkeepers are required to use red ink to write the price on books or magazines that were sold in installments?

It’s illegal to fly with a rooster in a hot air balloon?

Silly? Sure. But the facts remain that EVERY country has laws that few have ever heard about, but CAN BE USED when the police are in need of a 'reason...'

Just be sure NOT to bring your chicken with you when you go ballooning. smile.png

The difference being that if the shopkeeper in New Zealand uses blue ink or if he goes hot air ballooning with a rooster he isn't surrounded by 100 government authorities armed with assault rifles. See how that's not the same as what happened here?

Just to add to the topic although a little bit off track, I noticed in the missus bar last night that all the labels for booze in her fridge were facing the wrong way.

Upon questioning her about this as saying that customers usually like to see what they want to drink, she replied that during the police ust a few days ago she was told that there is to be no alcohol advertising and that displaying beers with labels showing is a breach of this law.

My reply was <deleted>?

Some people really need to have a good look at how they are applying these rules/laws. I though perhaps she was just pulling my leg but a quick walk around and I noticed Zoe also had all their alcohilic drinks facing the opposite way. I must say that this has to be one of the most stupid enforcements I have come across.

Most of the other minor bars in the area obviously didnt get visitied by this idiot as they were doing business as usual without changing the booze displays.

Whats next? I know there is to be no advertising of cigarettes or booze on ashtrays and glassware but hell where does one draw the line?

She could put the Chang and Singha labels around the other way and say she's advertising water.

it's pretty common the world over for cops to collect fines for petty offenses and site some obscure regulation, why would it be any different here?

Always love when people quote what some police chef has said about the law here.

The thing is that the law here, is defined differently based on which police officer you face at the given time.

As long as you have not done anything wrong you will most likely be okay. If you on the other hand have done something wrong, it comes down to who you know and how much money you have. The Law.... LOL!

zoe yellow was heaving tonight,Full to the rafters. Does not seemed,Any one perturbed,about recent events.

A Police raid on an establishment is really no big deal

The Police had a gun but ALL Thai Police carry guns with them .

No one got arrested, no bribes were asked for, no drugs were planted .

Just a regular raid and business as usual the next day

zoe yellow was heaving tonight,Full to the rafters. Does not seemed,Any one perturbed,about recent events.

I think we are all aware that police carry a firearm but not assault rifles,suggest you refer to OP's original photo

taken at the scene.Total overkill.

No-one wants to be detained by Thai coppers at any time of the day. No-one wants to be forced to pee in a cup or to be surrounded by guys with guns.

The whole "if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" assumes that everyone around you will behave rationally. Given that this is a place where booze is consumed - this is not guaranteed. Thais like guns. If somebody had pulled a gun during that little raid... the police would have opened up on all the people in there. What a lovely way to end the day eh?

Nigh clubs getting raided is a fact of life in every Country .

No one in any Country wants to have to show their ID to police .

No one in any Country likes it when the authorities carry guns .

But this happens the World over .

If someone had pulled a gun out and started shooting , I would rather have a policeman there to shoot him, rather then myself becoming a statistic in a massacre

Every backward country, maybe, but not a civilised one.

OK, tell me which "Civilised" Country that some of the above doesnt happen ?

I would have thought Germany to be a civilized country, but when I went out on Friday & Saturday nights into the clubs/disco's, police raids were very common. Lights go on, 30+ cops storm the joint, 1 cop with a big camera filming everyones location (just in case someone throws a little package on the floor to get rid off), everyone got brought outside 'one by one', ID'd and strip searched.

Happened all the time, only a small news article in the local papers the next day. It never hit global news nor was it the last nail in the coffin for German tourism ;-)

I think we are all aware that police carry a firearm but not assault rifles,suggest you refer to OP's original photo

Theres not much difference between a gun and a rifle when it comes down to whether the Police are armed or not .

All Police carry guns everywhere, just this time they had one bigger one .

Big gun , small gun, doesnt really matter, they both shoot bullets

About the only places left in town where deadbeat westerners congregate openly are the burger joints. Who knows, maybe burgers could be a threat to peace and order!

"deadbeat westerners"? Are you referring to tourists, working expats or retirees? Why such a pejorative term?

Sigh......it's a tongue-in-cheek statement reflective of the real or perceived attitude by government officials towards westerners of all types resulting in police/ government interference of ordinary, law abiding people going about their business, as described in detail in this topic and many more on Thai Visa. Why such a opprobrious question? Are you worried about your burger joint being raided?

I take it you're new to Thai visa. Useful tip; irony and sarcasm don't work, regardless of how obvious you think it might be.

People take posts at face value. I read your post and assumed you were one of many posters who think all people who go to popular nightspots are evil and deserve bad treatment. If you read the entire thread you'll find posts that complement the RTP on their outrageous behavior. My apologies for my mistake. And no, I don't own a burger joint.

You probably won't believe this, but thank you for your gentle rebuke regarding irony and sarcasm. My point was indeed lost in the faceless, emotionless page and through no fault of your own, not interpreted as intended. It was something I was pondering after the fact and confirmed by your good self.

So point taken and noted for future reference, and thanks again. Especially as similar posts quite often degrade into a name calling farce by others less gentlemanly than your good self. If anything, I hope my ill-judgement and your forum etiquette serve as an good example.

Theres not much difference between a gun and a rifle when it comes down to whether the Police are armed or not .

All Police carry guns everywhere, just this time they had one bigger one .

Big gun , small gun, doesnt really matter, they both shoot bullets

Doesn't really matter if it is a six shot revolver or a sixty shot fully automatic assault rifle?

True just until they start shooting.

Wake up!

And if weapons control is anything to go by I'd say the revolver would have a greater spread of rounds (bullets) in their inexperienced hands.

Im amazed at how many people get hit by 'stray' bullets in this country. And quite a few are innocent bystanders.

Auto/semi-auto rifles should only be handled by those qualified to do so. Otherwise its just asking for trouble....

Im sure there are more suitable deterrents when raiding a bar.

The difference being that if the shopkeeper in New Zealand uses blue ink or if he goes hot air ballooning with a rooster he isn't surrounded by 100 government authorities armed with assault rifles. See how that's not the same as what happened here?

From what I understand, there was only one or two assault rifles, but about a hundred police officers.

And rifles are only a problem when people fire them.

Carrying one does no one any harm. Unless you're frightened to death, that is...

From what I understand, there was only one or two assault rifles, but about a hundred police officers.

Carrying one does no one any harm. Unless you're frightened to death, that is...

Number of people killed in the UK this year by assault rifles = 0

Number of people killed in the US this year by assault rifles = hundreds

Want to know the difference? In the UK you're not allowed to carry an assault rifle.

It is reasonably safe to say that every time you hand out a gun - you exponentially increase the chances of that gun being used. It is impossible to use a gun that you do not have.

In addition the more guns you hand out, the greater certainty that you are handing them out to an idiot who will actually use them. Which is why we have lovely videos of American police shooting unarmed people in the back, through their car doors, and indeed of little boys playing with water pistols.

This blind faith in authority is a bit disturbing. The world is a better place when both criminals and coppers are unarmed. It is easy to see that this is true - you just compare the level of gun deaths when people don't have guns to when they do.

Number of people killed in the UK this year by assault rifles = 0

Number of people killed in the US this year by assault rifles = hundreds

Want to know the difference? In the UK you're not allowed to carry an assault rifle.

It is reasonably safe to say that every time you hand out a gun - you exponentially increase the chances of that gun being used. It is impossible to use a gun that you do not have.

In addition the more guns you hand out, the greater certainty that you are handing them out to an idiot who will actually use them. Which is why we have lovely videos of American police shooting unarmed people in the back, through their car doors, and indeed of little boys playing with water pistols.

This blind faith in authority is a bit disturbing. The world is a better place when both criminals and coppers are unarmed. It is easy to see that this is true - you just compare the level of gun deaths when people don't have guns to when they do.

Actually, there have been virtually ZERO deaths in the US from assault rifles.

The deaths you quote are from rifles that LOOK LIKE assault rifles. They are NOT automatic weapons. You have to pull the trigger for each shot. Assault rifles can fire the entire magazine with a single trigger-pull. It's Big Media calling them 'assault rifles' to spur sales through fear-mongering.

And again, regardless of the weapon, a gun is only dangerous when someone pulls the trigger.

Holding one has never killed anyone... Do you have evidence to the contrary?