Airbnb - Renters avoiding questions

recom273

I used the airbnb app once before - in Samui and had a great long weekend, the price was good and it didn't take long to find a place we both felt good about - it was proven, when had a stress free stay - I really thought airbnb was the way forward.

This time, we decided on Phuket for Songkran, we may have left it a little late to find the real gems but when I started asking renters simple questions "what floor is the apartment", "you have feedback saying the room wasn't the one listed" or "it states you have one cup, two plates and very little cutlery - have you improved" I got answers, "I have 3 apartments so I can't tell you which floor", other simple questions came back in-answered / avoided.

On Samui, we just paid up front for the room, Phuket renters wanted 5000B-10000B + for a deposit on a 2500B let plus a cleaning fee of 500B+.

I have been here for 15 years and know that it doesn't cost 500B to clean a shoebox apartment.

Another renter wanted to sell me electricity and water, when I enquired approximately how much is it for a typical long weekend stay, she said it was very cheap - alarm bells ring out - if it's so cheap then just include it with an increased room rate ?

Even tho we were booking for songkran, there were still a lot of self catering apartments with pools available, cheaper than Ko Samui, some included a free bike on a 700b apartment ( saving you a hire of 150-200b a day ). You would think that these renters would be a little more co-operative to ensure that their places were filled. In the end I got so sick of comparing different apartments and renters, I found a what looks to be decent place on booking.com within 5 minutes.

Is this just me ? Was a lucky the first time and the Phuket experience is the norm ?

Also would love to hear about any airbnb gems ..

The cleaning fees on Airbnb are always a bit excessive.. Treat it as a tip.

I'll start renting my Bangkok pad on Airbnb so it's good to read people needs etc... won't be charging 500 baht for cleaning for sure, more like 250

Yeah, I don't really care too much about the extra 250b or whatever for cleaning or electricity, but it's just one sure way of making your decision for you.

These apartments were all peas in a pod, even at the same condo, same pool, prices varied from 500b to excess of 1500b a night. Just different decor, larger TV, better equipped kitchens and therefore money invested.

If any of the renters had given me a sensible reply last night I would have booked, the only thing their replies and adverts did was turned me away.

re cleaning, that to me is an operating cost and with my property it is a part of the rent. it is factored in.

as for 500 being excessive, i certainly dont think so, thats what i pay per visit for 2 women to come, clean do laundry etc etc.

I have freinds who manage many properties in Phuket. Not sure if this is specific to AirBnB, but they have had guests show up having paid in full only to find out that someone has reproduced their ad and taken the money.

so scammers exist

re cleaning, that to me is an operating cost and with my property it is a part of the rent. it is factored in.

as for 500 being excessive, i certainly dont think so, thats what i pay per visit for 2 women to come, clean do laundry etc etc.

I have freinds who manage many properties in Phuket. Not sure if this is specific to AirBnB, but they have had guests show up having paid in full only to find out that someone has reproduced their ad and taken the money.

so scammers exist

Yeah, I hadn't intended this focus upon the cleaning cost ( can I just say that some were charging 750b for a studio apartment ) ...

The cleaning chargé compounded with one or two minor negative reviews, that the apartments weren't mountain views as advertised, they faced another balcony. So I just asked them to confirm that the photos of the un-overlooked apartment were the place we were booking. For some reason the missus said she didn't want to be 10 floors away from the pool ( when there is a lift, I didn't understand, but still .. )

Then to just ask for a guide price for electricity for a long weekend .. C'mon that's not hard.

The replies from numerous renters, gave me the impression I was going to be given the run around, either on arrival or after checkout. So it's a done deal, forget it.

The complete opposite experience to the stress free operation the Samui renter provided.

In Thailand (with the exception of BKK) I never bother booking. Not worth the hassle and it's murphy's choice as o what you get, despite any promises from the landlord/guesthouse/hotel. We just rock up to the area we want to stay in, park the bags in a bar (after imbibing a few drinks and tipping the staff to guard your bags), go for a wander and see what's on offer.

I don't think we've ever walked more than 500 metres before we find a suitable place at a suitable price, after maybe inspecting four other rooms on the way. And I'm reasonably fussy about my accommodation - I like a pool, don't like crazy add ons for power or cleaning, and happy to pay a fair price.

Never had a problem. One of the best places ever was a little beer bar in Samui, can't remember the name. Was walking past with my roller case and got the hansum man routine, stopped for a beer as it was hot and see they have rooms. Ask the price - 500B all in. No pool but can use the hotel across the road - big sister works there, no pompem.

Room was immaculate, and not far to stagger upstairs after a few beers.

My advice - just chance it. We see people all the time in Jomtien and Pattaya dragging a bag and checking out the "for rent" signs, even at peak periods and holidays.

Having provided good quality holiday rental accommodation in Europe for many years I think that normal cleaning should be included in the rental price. If I rent a car I dont expect to be charged extra for returning it looking used but I do expect to be charged for something that I have made excessively or unusually dirty.

So I would say that an obligatory extra cleaning charge on all rentals is just a scam, but scams and overcharging and greed are par for the course here so it's no real surprise when one comes across it.

Unless it's a place that gets booked out I noticed that nearly all hotels advertise the same price at the door. ie the supposed discount deals on agoda are pure make believe

I have booked over 100 rooms on agoda in the last 5 years and use it because of the significant discount. I have often booked a room on my phone at the front desk because the hotel would not price match. I stay at 4 to 5 star places over 5,000 Baht on average. It might not be the same for some other basic rooms, but at least some of the discounts are real and can be significant depending on when you book.

So much rubbish above. The reason that Airbnb price has such extreme cleaning fee is purely a sales pitch. Exactly same as sign on retail 80% off. What's your problem people. The final price is displayed. Book of shut the f### door.

Airbnb I find great for some countries and not others. As for agoda , they are fine. Poster that stated uses them zillion times. I have also but only for certain places. Airbnb can be excellent if you want kitchen. Especially places like Japan.

I used them recently koh samui. Always cross check with agoda. Very rarely agoda better

i use airbnb to rent a villa i mange

as to the cleaning fees its by the renter not by airbnb. (i charge nada, zip, nothing)

Get great reception using airbnb an they pay on time and its easy to adjust your price and take only a few % ( vs booking.com 15% an agoda now 20%)

agoda has a new thing that offers locals ( they need hold thai id) up to 20% off listed price.

started on the 21st of Jan

Good News! Huge pick up from Domestic Market, so I would like to share the great opportunity for you to get a big demand from Thai residence customer.
To join this campaign, please kindly see the condition as below:

1. Select your booked period. Recommended for all 3 periods.

2. Select your stay period. Recommended for both periods.

3. Reply this email back with the exact percentage discount you would like to apply. We will assist you to apply it on Domestic rate plan and Thai storefront.

Thank you very much for your acknowledgement, as per your request to join Thailand Grand Sales Campaign, I have created the promotion as the following details:

Agree to create 20% Discount

Book Date = Hotel can join every periods.

Stay Date = Hotel can join every periods.

Cancellation Policy = Cancel 45D prior arrival charge 50%, No Show 50% charge