PM Prayut urges Buddhists to refrain from vices on Makha Bucha Day

webfact

My draught Leo in a hiso riverside terrace bar came in a glass with paper stapled around the to hide it from prying eyes - my wife's mojito looked just like any other fruit juice. On the way back picked up 3 Leo's from a mom and pop store hidden in a black bag - she was doing a roaring trade and one in the eye for the big corporates. Long Live Thai expediency !

Would I be correct in assuming that today is another 'dry' day for Thailand? I know the bars in Soi Cowboy are closed tonight.

Never known it this bad. Can't even get a drink airside at Suvarnabhumi, thanks very much, and I have a nasty feeling this is the direction the place is currently headed in; a right wing Buddhist theocracy...

No problems buying alcohol in rural Thailand out where I live, but of course we are just unsophisticated peasants that don't know any better and need to be protected from ourselves.

Maj Gen Sansern said he believes the society will be peaceful if everyone truly understands Lord Buddha's teachings. He also asserted that every religion is the same, as they are all aimed at creating good people.

I truly understand that soldiers shouldn't act like monks and if every religion is creating good people, he should have known that some are only practicing bomb producing techniques in mosques, instead of merits and other good deeds..

Allah Akbar.

Wow, even given their track record, those nursing their own prejudices didn't take too long to try and derail this thread

redacted apologies something got muddled in the saving - please delete

Edited by LannaGuy

Maj Gen Sansern said he believes the society will be peaceful if everyone truly understands Lord Buddha's teachings. He also asserted that every religion is the same, as they are all aimed at creating good people.

I truly understand that soldiers shouldn't act like monks and if every religion is creating good people, he should have known that some are only practicing bomb producing techniques in mosques, instead of merits and other good deeds..

Allah Akbar.

Wow, even given their track record, those nursing their own prejudices didn't take too long to try and derail this thread

redacted - please delete

Edited by LannaGuy

"He also asserted that every religion is the same, as they are all aimed at creating good people."

Well that clarifies the ISIS issue once and for all. blink.png

ISIS isn't a faith. They are misrepresenting the one they claim to follow because they are terrorist scum.

whilst that is true all ISIS are Muslim are they not? I accept, wholeheartedly, that not all Muslims (in fact a small minority) are terrorist but we can't hide the fact that ALL ISIS are Muslim

anyway we veer off-topic and Thailand's mis-interpretation of Buddhist teaching is frightening and I fear zealot monks are heading for the 'nationalist path' and it takes an Army General who took over a country to tell them to 'refrain from vices'?

Edited by LannaGuy

Allah Akbar.

By gum your muslim bashing radar is foolproof. You've never missed an opportunity to defend them. Not once.

Just making an observation.

"He also asserted that every religion is the same, as they are all aimed at creating good people."

ISIS isn't a faith. They are misrepresenting the one they claim to follow because they are terrorist scum.

whilst that is true all ISIS are Muslim are they not? I accept, wholeheartedly, that not all Muslims (in fact a small minority) are terrorist but we can't hide the fact that ALL ISIS are Muslim

anyway we veer off-topic and Thailand's mis-interpretation of Buddhist teaching is frightening and I fear zealot monks are heading for the 'nationalist path' and it takes an Army General who took over a country to tell them to 'refrain from vices'?

Isis say they are but Islamic scholars and clerics say there actions are not representative of Islam.

They certainly are not a faith.

I'll take the word of those scholars and clerics over a bunch of murdering terrorist scum any day.

Edited by Bluespunk

Allah Akbar.

By gum your muslim bashing radar is foolproof. You've never missed an opportunity to defend them. Not once.

Just making an observation.

A poorly made one, perhaps your vision is clouded by your views.

I do not defend Islam I just detest those who allow their prejudices and bigotry to stand in for the truth.

I don't particularly care for any faith but I know that if bigots are allowed to dominate the only result is greater hate and division in society.

I don't particularly see the point of banning alcohol sales on any given day but what the hell. Does it really matter that much?

It doesn't matter that much because it really doesn't change anything. Not sure what country you're from but if from UK and getting on like me you might remember the old laws on drinking.

I can remember pubs called the 2 Mile Inn , 3 Mile Inn etc. At times you could only drink if you were a 'Bona Fide' traveller so people would go there to drink and carry a bus ticket proving they had 'travelled' etc.

Where there's a law someone will find a way around it, part of the fun of life.

Aren't most religions apparently misrepresented? At least the organised part of them.

The problem is that the creation of most religions are such awe inspiring and overwhelming events that nobody can manage to write anything down for hundreds of years until somebody produces their version of it and claims it's correct.

In the case of the Bible and Koran I think there's a fair bit of incitement to violence against non followers.

As for Buddhism which of the many versions is real?

Isis say they are but Islamic scholars and clerics say there actions are not representative of Islam.

They certainly are not a faith.

I'll take the word of those scholars and clerics over a bunch of murdering terrorist scum any day.

you missed the point as I didn't claim they 'represent' Islam but they ARE Muslim and to say differently is obfuscation of the fact and, frankly, unhelpful. Better to say they are Muslim but in no way represent the vast majority of muslims to say otherwise is to say the Crusaders were not Christian or the Inquisition were not Catholic.

They claim to be Muslims, they claim to be the only true representatives of the faith, they claim many things. They are terrorist scum acting out of hate as the crusaders did. That is the main factor in their terrorism not their faith, not their nationality or gender or whatever.

To focus upon what faith they claim to follow is pointless. Most of their victims are Muslim. Most of those leading the fight against them are Muslim.

There is a war for control and power going on in the region Isis operate in. It has come about because of decades of authoritarian control, an unjustifiable war launched by the west and all the chaos that followed that event.

Isis is a terrorist organisation taking advantage of this situation through terror, violence and rape. They are no more than any other warlord scum exploiting a power vacuum.

The faith they have is not the reasons for their appalling actions and to focus upon it is to fail to understand why they exist.

Edited by Bluespunk

Since when has it been ANY governments job to comment on religious principles?

Also, all religions are certainly not the same. This is a naive and stupid statement that just shows how ill informed the Government are on this topic.

It is not for the government to spread this kind of message. The rule of law is what keeps people in check and should make society a better place, this is where the government should be putting it's energy, by turning the police force into an effective law enforcement organization, and not a commercial entity designed to do nothing much more then collect Tea money.