Highway 36 punture.

emilymat

Just thought I would post this picture of a 5 inch piece of iron that went through my rear tyre on highway 36 causing quite a bang. The piece was recovered from the punctured tyre and it looks like the end of one of those iron bars they use in re-enforced concrete. It had clearly snapped off when my tyre went over it and that is how it ended up inside.

Could happen on a back road in the 'boonies' I suppose but a major highway on the inside lane!

Since that road is tar and not concrete it is highly unlikely you picked it up on the 36.

LennyW. I accept your knowledge of the road surface. However, I can guarantee you that it was just as I was entering the slip road leading onto the 331. I had to pull over immediately to change the wheel as this wasn't a slow puncture but a destroyed tyre. Maybe the beginning of the slip road and the inside lane are made of different materials. In any event. the piece of metal has one rusty and one shiny end,suggesting it snapped as it entered my tyre.

Since that road is tar and not concrete it is highly unlikely you picked it up on the 36.

LennyW. I accept your knowledge of the road surface. However, I can guarantee you that it was just as I was entering the slip road leading onto the 331. I had to pull over immediately to change the wheel as this wasn't a slow puncture but a destroyed tyre. Maybe the beginning of the slip road and the inside lane are made of different materials. In any event. the piece of metal has one rusty and one shiny end,suggesting it snapped as it entered my tyre.

A piece of metal can stay pierced into a tyre for a long time before it works it's way all the way inside the tyre, many slow punctures this way, but once it does go all the way in this is when you would have a rupture and a rapid one with this size of bar. The shiny end is probably from wear in contact with the road surface over a period of time, it is highly unlikely a car tyre would be strong enough to snap re-bar.

A piece of metal can stay pierced into a tyre for a long time before it works it's way all the way inside the tyre, many slow punctures this way, but once it does go all the way in this is when you would have a rupture and a rapid one with this size of bar. The shiny end is probably from wear in contact with the road surface over a period of time, it is highly unlikely a car tyre would be strong enough to snap re-bar.

The piece of rebar in question is over 4 inches long. No way that 'worked its way' inside the OP's tire. I picked up a 3/4" steel fastener in the front drivers side the other day and you could hear the tick-tick-tick when it hit the bitumen as the wheel turned. I got home that night and heard the hiss of the slow puncture so changed it straight away. If the OP had this rebar stuck in his tread for a long time, he would have heard it.

As mentioned, the roads around here are littered with all sorts of construction debris and chances are this chunk of iron was right where the OP had the blowout.

Edited by NanLaew

i doubt it was stuck up from the road, and that it broke off as it was driven over, I would suggest regardless of where it was and the type of road surface, that it was road debris, and as it caused a blow out, could have been extreamly dangerous. glad your ok

I drove through that junction today, the widening of the 331 is going well, even if some extra dust in the house.

Thanks for those replies. The only reason I posted was because, in 50 years of driving, I've never had a 'bang' like that and immediate deflation. Normally, as I'msure we are all aware, a puncture becomes apparant reasonably slowly over a period of perhaps 100 yards.

I just couldn't understand how that object ended up inside the tyre, I could hear it rattling around as I removed the wheel.

Anyway, I guess I was lucky it was a rear wheel and not the front one at speed. Cheers clap2.gif

Sometimes, just out of bad luck, a piece of debris can end up in an unlikely but dangerous position on the road and cause a puncture. A few years back my motorbike had a puncture on the street where I live. A small screw had somehow managed to lodge itself in a crack in the concrete road surface, point-side up, and I had driven right over it, We found the screw stuck in the tyre when I took it for repair. Normally you'd think a screw would lie on its side and not represent much of a risk, but Sod's Law always seems to apply.

Sometimes, just out of bad luck, a piece of debris can end up in an unlikely but dangerous position on the road and cause a puncture. A few years back my motorbike had a puncture on the street where I live. A small screw had somehow managed to lodge itself in a crack in the concrete road surface, point-side up, and I had driven right over it, We found the screw stuck in the tyre when I took it for repair. Normally you'd think a screw would lie on its side and not represent much of a risk, but Sod's Law always seems to apply.

Sodslaw? sure. And do you know what, the lad who did the tyre change handed me the 5 inch piece of iron and never batted an eyelid!. This suggests he's quite used to it and that the Thai roads are littered with debris and sharp objects, as both you and I have discovered. thumbsup.gif

Sodslaw? sure. And do you know what, the lad who did the tyre change handed me the 5 inch piece of iron and never batted an eyelid!. This suggests he's quite used to it and that the Thai roads are littered with debris and sharp objects, as both you and I have discovered. thumbsup.gif

I've found on the bike that the dry season is the worst for getting punctures from debris on the roads. I think when it rains the bits of sharp metal and glass that end up on the road surface get washed away into the gutters, but in the dry season they just accumulate on the road waiting to snag an unwary motorcyclist (or car driver in the case of larger pieces of metal).

I've found on the bike that the dry season is the worst for getting punctures from debris on the roads. I think when it rains the bits of sharp metal and glass that end up on the road surface get washed away into the gutters, but in the dry season they just accumulate on the road waiting to snag an unwary motorcyclist (or car driver in the case of larger pieces of metal).

Sods law indeed. Drove off this morning and thought something seemed amiss. Turned out I had a puncture and the screw head was visible in the tyre. Funnily enough I was going to reply yesterday to Guderian saying that I don't think it needs to be lodged point side up as driving over a screw on its side could be enough to pick it up and for it to become embedded.

Detour to garage to pump up tyre and then straight up Suk to BQuick for a free puncture repair. The annoying thing was I only drove past it yesterday thinking I had not had to use them recently........facepalm.gif

Just a final 'tip', so to say.

In 9 years driving here around Patts I've only ever had two car punctures - the main one as indicated in my original post.

However, on a motorbike I have had well in excess of 10 and all of them have been in the front wheel. In almost every case, the cause was not a nail or something, but the minute seperation of the valve stem from the innertube. The experts told me that this can be caused by riding on an under inflated tyre, but I still had the defaltion even though I kept my tyres at the manufactuers recommended pressure. I guess there are different qualities of innertube. I became an expert in removing the front wheel and popping it in the boot of the car to take to the repairer.

Why don't they have tubeless tyres on m'bikes? Is it expense?.

TOPT......Do what I do and have a car pump in the boot. I also carry a small trolly jack and an extenstion 'pipe' for removal of the factory tightened wheel nuts, both of which came in handy last week.