British backpacker Grace Taylor missing in Thailand

webfact

Hope she's ok. There are some shady characters in ao nang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found Ao Nang to be very safe and 'boring' (we stayed a night there while in transit last year). Before anyone gets on their high horse re 'entertainment' - We're backpackers (late 20's) and I was there with my GF, so entertainment would consist of more than going to the nearest girlie bar. I just found the place quite dead in general.

Be it that it may there is a dark underbelly to the place, as with any province. There are several incidents that have gone down over the years involving rape and violent attacks towards foreigners.

Probably the most high profile case in the last few years was the 19 year old Dutch model who was raped and beaten by a tour desk operator. The case led to the victims family releasing a song. Can't remember the name - evil krabi man or something.

There was also an incident where a British couple were attacked by a group wielding steel pipes. Believe they were attempting to rape the girl in front of her bf whilst he was being beaten/pinned down.

Krabi ... ah, Krabi ...

I remember going to Krabi some 20 years ago, with a friend. After a night in Ao Nang we took a long tail boat to Riley Beach, as we were told that finding accomodation there would not be a problem. There were some 20 tourists on that little boat and when we touched Riley Beach we all hopped off and looked around in total bliss : so that's where paradise was .... honestly, the beauty of that place is stunning.

Then we walked towards the houses, built in traditional style, where a local matron greeted us as if we were a bunch of disgusting pigs (and please note, the locals are Muslim). When asked if there were rooms, she barked unintelligible replies in the most unpleasant tone, the jist of which was that no, there were no rooms available. A lie, as it turned out. For what ? mai roo ... all I can think of is that she enjoyed seeing our worried faces, knowing that there was no boat back to the mainland before the next morning.

She told us to wait here, which we did, like the 'captive audience' that we were. It took about 3 hours to accomodate everyone, and my friend and I were among the last to be given a room, at some blatantly outrageous rate, of course. The mattress, which we had to share, was the weirdest thing I ever slept on. If you so much as blinked an eye, your neighbor would feel the ripple effect. Moving a leg would send him bouncing up and down as if on a trampoline. We hardly slept at all.

The next morning, we had breakfast and a swim. The breakfast was awful in every possible way, and the swim was nice, as it involved meeting only the sea and no local 'human' being. Every single interaction we had with the locals felt like dealing with prison guards. They were brutal, foul-mouthed, aggressive, contemptuous, and nasty. Our original plan was to stay for 3 days. We left by the first available boat, and no one will ever convince me to go to that place again.

Paradise is definitely not on earth. If you ask me how the locals in Krabi behave with foreigners and what they think of them, well, my post is the answer.

Strange, I stayed in 'Joy' bungalows back in the late 80s, early 90s on Phra Nang beach, 50 baht a night, very friendly people run by a jolly German and his Thai partners. There was only one restaurant/cafe on Ao Nang at the time, a thatched place on the end of the beach run by 2 sisters and their brother, if I remember right it was called The Last Cafe, nice people too. I think we were among the first Western tourists on Koh Lanta, the only Western food was omelettes, we had the place to ourselves, again friendly locals.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of unqualified rubbish. Go do some research on some other Countries and start with amount of people murdered by shooting in the USA.

Do some research. You are far more likely to be murdered

by someone with a gun in Thailand than you are in USA.

If you want to bark only....shut up if you don't have anything to contribute...!

Look here for you to learn:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/08/11/asia-pacific/crime-legal-asia-pacific/gun-murder-rate-thailand-par-united-states/#.VsxLM0Dkfh5

Speaking of barking drivel.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate#List

Gun homicide rate for America in 2013 was 3.55 per 100,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_proliferation_in_Thailand

The rate for Thailand was 5.9 per 100,000 in 2008.

I suspect the rate in Thailand is way under reported as well.

So in case you possess any math skills, you have a 60 % higher chance

of being killed in Thailand by a gun. So all the idiots that think

America is more dangerous regarding being shot, simply have

a poor grasp of statistics. cheesy.gif Or research abilities........

The article you linked to was using data from 1994.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/thailand

So back under the rock for you !!!!!!!!

Fair go It probably took him a few days to read it and a lot more time to understand it but a few coloring books should cover his expenses

She should be charged for wasting my time and that of the police.

If you feel she wasted your time by you reading it, then it's simple, don't bother to read the <deleted> article, you sarcastic jackoff

I found Ao Nang to be very safe and 'boring' (we stayed a night there while in transit last year). Before anyone gets on their high horse re 'entertainment' - We're backpackers (late 20's) and I was there with my GF, so entertainment would consist of more than going to the nearest girlie bar. I just found the place quite dead in general.

Be it that it may there is a dark underbelly to the place, as with any province. There are several incidents that have gone down over the years involving rape and violent attacks towards foreigners.

Probably the most high profile case in the last few years was the 19 year old Dutch model who was raped and beaten by a tour desk operator. The case led to the victims family releasing a song. Can't remember the name - evil krabi man or something.

There was also an incident where a British couple were attacked by a group wielding steel pipes. Believe they were attempting to rape the girl in front of her bf whilst he was being beaten/pinned down.

Krabi ... ah, Krabi ...

I remember going to Krabi some 20 years ago, with a friend. After a night in Ao Nang we took a long tail boat to Riley Beach, as we were told that finding accomodation there would not be a problem. There were some 20 tourists on that little boat and when we touched Riley Beach we all hopped off and looked around in total bliss : so that's where paradise was .... honestly, the beauty of that place is stunning.

Then we walked towards the houses, built in traditional style, where a local matron greeted us as if we were a bunch of disgusting pigs (and please note, the locals are Muslim). When asked if there were rooms, she barked unintelligible replies in the most unpleasant tone, the jist of which was that no, there were no rooms available. A lie, as it turned out. For what ? mai roo ... all I can think of is that she enjoyed seeing our worried faces, knowing that there was no boat back to the mainland before the next morning.

She told us to wait here, which we did, like the 'captive audience' that we were. It took about 3 hours to accomodate everyone, and my friend and I were among the last to be given a room, at some blatantly outrageous rate, of course. The mattress, which we had to share, was the weirdest thing I ever slept on. If you so much as blinked an eye, your neighbor would feel the ripple effect. Moving a leg would send him bouncing up and down as if on a trampoline. We hardly slept at all.

The next morning, we had breakfast and a swim. The breakfast was awful in every possible way, and the swim was nice, as it involved meeting only the sea and no local 'human' being. Every single interaction we had with the locals felt like dealing with prison guards. They were brutal, foul-mouthed, aggressive, contemptuous, and nasty. Our original plan was to stay for 3 days. We left by the first available boat, and no one will ever convince me to go to that place again.

Paradise is definitely not on earth. If you ask me how the locals in Krabi behave with foreigners and what they think of them, well, my post is the answer.

Strange, I stayed in 'Joy' bungalows back in the late 80s, early 90s on Phra Nang beach, 50 baht a night, very friendly people run by a jolly German and his Thai partners.

Not sure if it was phra nang or on railey itself but there was a large and pleasant bungalow operation in the late 90s, near the waters edge. I'm pretty sure this was redeveloped but it served most of the backpackers at the time.. and where I hooked up with the most gorgeous receptionist. Something I'll never forget..

im a man but when I was 21 I would not have travelled to somewhere like Thailand alone and for a young girl to do this I think your asking for trouble, hope they find her alive and well.

that is totally subjective - by 21 I and most of my friends had hitch-hiked to India Afghanistan or Morocco...some had gone on to Thailand and Oz, most were teenagers - and none had the luxury of credit cards or mobile phones....how safe you are depends at least in part on the person involved...not their age.

agreed but most young people are likely to make wrong or bad decisions and end up tragically dead or missing

Sorry, that's nonsense. If that was anywhere close to true that the majority of young people who went travelling would end up dead or missing, which they don't. It's a minuscule fraction which is why these always end up as a big news stories.

I think it's fine you didn't want to do these things are twenty-one. But making up blanket statements like that just sounds a wee bit paranoid and out of touch. I don't know, maybe if you had done these things, you'd have a broader view of it.

She should be charged for wasting my time and that of the police.

If anyone needs charging it's you for making ridiculous unfounded allegations

it's a forum with freedom of speech, isn't it? We don't need your smart comments

well that's a contradiction..

no, it's not. You have to read:

If anyone needs charging it's you for making ridiculous unfounded allegations

just another twit who thinks she can come over to southeast asia alone singing cum ba ya with a back pack and everything will be alright! no sympathy here! these idiots NEVER learn!this happens every year! you people are coming over to a land that will cut your throat on a whim! and take all your pitiful belongings as well!

The empathy you're displaying is a shining beacon to the rest of humanity!

It takes all types, unfortunately not always for the better.

I think the issue here on TV is that some posters think that young people who act irresponsibly deserve what they get.

I really hope they aren't parents..

Plenty of old people come here and act irresponsibly, too - often getting themselves in all sorts of trouble.

It's possible to feel sympathy for someone's plight, even if you don't agree with the actions that lead them down that path.

I think the issue here on TV is that some posters think that young people who act irresponsibly deserve what they get.

Sounds like you're saying that reckless, irresponsible behaviour is perfectly acceptable and should go entirely uncorrected or unpunished.

Responsible parents don't subscribe to that principle. Nor does the law. Nor does evolution. Reckless (=uncaring, =egotistical) behaviour should be slapped down or the consequences are liable to become fatal.

Some bizarre posts from the people-huggers in this thread.

Most American don't own a passport or even know where Thailand is. If they teach geography in The USA, it must only be local.

We'd all get passports too if we could drive from one end of our country to the other in an afternoon and see everything worth seeing in a long weekend.

An offensive post has been removed.

It astounds me that some posters are so quick to judge this young woman without knowing what happened.

This was not a case of someone just going off and not keeping in touch. Something seriously wrong occurred, leading to her being in great distress and disoriented. What exactly, we do not know. But not at all same as the fellow who just want off the grid for a while having fun.

So isn't it time tat the thread was closed? She's been found safe and the posters here are being allowed to continue with their unwanted, un-needed and in some cases offensive speculation and innuendo.

I think she was out drinking in Pattaya with two female canadian teachers. What a whus - on the phone to mum and dad everyday? What kind of travel is that? Pathetic. And why was she in Pattaya? Another clueless chick bringing Pattaya and Thailand into international disrepute.

Some real pieces of work on here. No one know what happened, a friend of mine on a tuk tuk ride got sucked into a stop at the gem shop. He was offered a cold glass of water and woke up (in his room luckily) several hrs later with a pocket full of gems and his wallet cleaned out. she could have had any kind of traumatic experience that set her off who know. Some real losers on here.

Should of, would of, could of...But i say most druggings on the islands happen because most young people go try what they read about but get more than they bargin for. Not just Thailand but especially cambodia where they flock to experience The Happy Pizza, Happy Shakes and Happy Soups because nobody cares if you ingest weed because it is an ingredient that is traditionally used in khmer dishes especially soups.

Sounds like you're saying that reckless, irresponsible behaviour is perfectly acceptable and should go entirely uncorrected or unpunished.

Responsible parents don't subscribe to that principle. Nor does the law. Nor does evolution. Reckless (=uncaring, =egotistical) behaviour should be slapped down or the consequences are liable to become fatal.

Yes.

Because it's part of growing up. Young people act irresponsibly.

Next...

Relief for the parents, sympathy for the parents, and who is to know what ramifications ensue from the "reckless etc". I see no condonement in comment. Some have mentioned personal moments similar. Not also saying what resulted from conveys no condonement or approval either.

Yann55, on 24 Feb 2016 - 04:06, said:
wellred, on 23 Feb 2016 - 08:04, said:
alt, on 22 Feb 2016 - 23:58, said:
wellred, on 22 Feb 2016 - 23:30, said:

Krabi ... ah, Krabi ...

If you are talking about the houses on the left-hand side of Railay beach (as you face it), they are privately owned. I was lucky enough to say in one in the 1980s and have some very good memories. My experience of Railay and the Krabi area was very different from yours, but there again it was a long time ago and there were not so many tourists in those days. I have been back several times since and found it to be far too crowded. Such a shame.

I've had a few good stays in ao Nang but each time have gone with a Thai 'lady friend'. Last time I stayed in ao Nang paradise resort which is on the main strip. Rooms were brilliant, large and super clean. I probably wouldn't go back as I've seen most of what I want to around the island.

'Missing' British Backpacker Flown Home
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14563132011456313219l.jpg
Grace Taylor reunited with her uncle Tuesday night at Krabi International Airport. Photo: Courtesy Krabi tourism center

KRABI — A British tourist who was reported missing by her mother was escorted home last night by an uncle who arrived to make sure she returned safely.

Grace Taylor, 21, whose frantic family had earlier reported missing, took a flight back to the United Kingdom from Krabi International Airport on Tuesday night after her uncle arrived to retrieve her, according to provincial tourism official Nittaya Piewdee.

“The tourist’s uncle took her back home,” said Nittaya, who works for Krabi’s tourist assistance center.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456313201&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-25