British backpacker Grace Taylor missing in Thailand

webfact

I'm glad I never did anything young and reckless.

Oh, wait a minute...

I'm glad I haven't done anything young and reckless since Facebook and that Twitter thing.

Oh, wait a minute.

I'm glad I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account.

Nailed it.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article said she was detained by police for her own safety ... I have reports from friends via family that the young lady had history of bipolar disorder... Seems she is safe and maybe they will send her home...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grace-taylor-british-tourist-who-sent-message-saying-people-are-trying-to-hurt-me-detained-for-her-a6890626.html

Why was she allowed to go alone as a backpacker in the first place . I guess when you're an adult you're in control of your own destiny , but seems to me she needed help in England and never should be allowed to travel alone.

Another thread with a lot of Thai bashing in it , speculations about rape and murder , sorry to read all the posts .

Young people get lost all over the world , this time it was Thailand and she was found by locals and are now safely at home.

A happy story in the end.

So much talk about how dangerous a place Thailand is and how backpacking here risks almost certain death - and yet surely this story actually demonstrates what a safe place it is? A young woman in a vulnerable condition, rather than being hurt or taken advantage of in some way, is actually helped out by the locals and taken care of until she can be reunited with her family.

well I think enough said here ... she's been found and if there's drugs involved or whatever her parents will act.

Interpol & the RTP however cannot go searching for every lost brit that decides it's fine not to contact home.

Did you even read the article at the start of the story? The issue isn't that she didn't contact home. The issue is that when she did speak to her mom, she said that she was afraid and people were following her. She was clearly either in trouble or thought she was in trouble. Jfc.

anyway , strange story... not clear at all

Strange.. More like she took a hit of yaba and started to panic

I just do not understand why they come here alone,they must be crazy

Can't be worse than going alone to South Africa, India, Brazil, Nigeria, etc.

have you already visited south africa, india, brazil, nigeria etc, busty copa ? whistling.gif

Edited by silverado

Why was she allowed to go alone as a backpacker in the first place .

Because she's an adult.

she's an adult and she went to thailand but whose money allowed her to go ? whistling.gif

Who knows? Maybe she earned it herself. She's old enough to have had a job for several years.

Did you guys all live with your mum until you were 30 or something?

Because she's an adult.

she's an adult and she went to thailand but whose money allowed her to go ? whistling.gif

Who knows? Maybe she earned it herself. She's old enough to have had a job for several years.

specially nowadays, at 21, she must be a very responsible, very smart and very brave girl then...whistling.gif

Edited by silverado

Because she's an adult.

The cost of renting/buying housing in the UK forces many young people in their 20's-30's to remain in the parental home, not through choice but of necessity !

The lady who is the subject of this topic is unlikely to be a mega-bucks banker !

The cost of renting/buying housing in the UK forces many young people in their 20's-30's to remain in the parental home, not through choice but of necessity !

The lady who is the subject of this topic is unlikely to be a mega-bucks banker !

Very true, but does one need a mega bucks bankers wages to be able to go back packing in Thailand ? With a menial job she could save enough in less than a year to be able to spend many months traveling.

So much talk about how dangerous a place Thailand is and how backpacking here risks almost certain death - and yet surely this story actually demonstrates what a safe place it is? A young woman in a vulnerable condition, rather than being hurt or taken advantage of in some way, is actually helped out by the locals and taken care of until she can be reunited with her family.

I completely agree, and it's nice to see a positive post , after hundreds negative ones.

Very true, but does one need a mega bucks bankers wages to be able to go back packing in Thailand ? With a menial job she could save enough in less than a year to be able to spend many months traveling.

Sure that is very possible especially if living off parents generosity !

Well, I am happy she is on her way back to the UK, Her extended family are to be complimented, for making the effort to find her and bring her home.

She is a very lucky young woman!

Considering that even the BBC doubt she was "missing" as evidenced by their use of inverted comma's around the word she is "lucky" to have a family who seek publicity !

The moral to this story is that Thailand is safe for most people, even mentally unstable or lost persons.

Most locals are friendly and helpful, whether they are expats or Thais .

Edited by balo

Well, I am happy she is on her way back to the UK, Her extended family are to be complimented, for making the effort to find her and bring her home.

She is a very lucky young woman!

Considering that even the BBC doubt she was "missing" as evidenced by their use of inverted comma's around the word she is "lucky" to have a family who seek publicity !

Where does the 'sunny' bit come from in your name? Should gave been 'gloomy'!

:)

@Alwyn says "Has anybody stopped to think she might have been in real trouble? She might have been rohypnoled, it's happened to me twice in Phuket while sat at a bar with friends. It's not pleasant"

You are either very unlucky, have weird friends, or a fantasist.

Edited by The manic

I learned a long time ago to bring my own water and liquor and say no to Happy anything...Most these kids come here thinking It Wont Happen To Me rather than It Will Happen To Me mindset. Sure there are druggings but most are self-inflicted.

Does that include "happy" ending ?

This confirms that there are a lot of sad old bastards who missed the boat when they were young and don't seem to have done much in their younger lives if you read these comments.

Yup, they were probably married, with a couple of sprogs and stuck with the nagging Farang wife. I wonder if those sprogs ever travelled, or have they been forgotten over the years.. Now daddy has found a new lease of life with a new wife and sprogs.

This confirms that there are a lot of sad old bastards who missed the boat when they were young and don't seem to have done much in their younger lives if you read these comments.

i and many people travelled over land from Sydney to London the hard way. We called in at Poste Restante (mail drops at public post offices) and checked our air mail letters every two or three weeks. This silly girl and her generation seem pitifully spoilt and unadventurous, wrapped in cotton wool and suffering from hovering parents. Doomed to expect life to provide no shocks or surprises and always wanting a mythical offense free 'safe space'. So we 'sad old bastards' who passed throught jakarta, kabaul, lahore, calcutta, tehran when we were or 20 and without any parental contact did plenty in our younger lives and still do.

During my gap year (I still have the passport) I have visas/immigration stamps from 15+ different countries in the ME and SE Asia ----------that was almost 40 years ago and during that year of travel I was never "lost" or "missing" despite there being no smart phones, twitter, facebook or computers !

Seems the "oldies" were actually better at real travelling than than are modern day youth.

Your comment reveals a person who seems to know nothing and who understands even less.