Gyms in Bangkok are <deleted> expensive!

Thaidude

The best deal I have found for full fitness, pool, jacuzzi, sauna is the Ambassador hotel Soi 11.

Last month they had posted 9500 b for one year.

I went there for a trial run and the equipment was old, but functional. The free weights and treadmills were good.

Pool is very nice. Full shower/towel services.

The True and Fitness First places are a big rip off I think. Joiner fee, admin fee, monthly. They wanted 5000 b just to join plus the first month.

In the USA I can go to a great places for $15 a month.

But I am here so........

Ambassador has sauna ? Great way to detox and difficult to find good sauna in Bangkok that is clean and really part of a legitimate gym .

It is a good Detox, but I think I get the same effect just walking down the street for 10 minutes. :)

Anyone know if Fitness First is a good Gym? Good in the sense of it's geared towards power lifters and bodybuilders, as opposed to people who want to walk around in a track suit or just do cardio?

I miss Gold's Gym :(

Anyone know if Fitness First is a good Gym? Good in the sense of it's geared towards power lifters and bodybuilders, as opposed to people who want to walk around in a track suit or just do cardio?

I miss Gold's Gym :(

No.... It is geared towards people who want to take selfies for Facebook to show everyone they work out.... I go to another commercial gym in BKK and it is essentially a lounge for Thai people to play on their phones while sitting on the equipment. I am not joking at all......

Yes, I quite often see some Thai individuals in a gym, sitting on a piece of equipment, playing with their phone. Then they'll do a leg press or curl or something (once or twice) then stop and continue playing on their phone.

Not entirely familiar with that workout program :)

I miss Gold's Gym sad.png

I went there and did not like all the Admin fees upfront.

It does look nice with good equipment and has everything, maybe on a smaller scale then Gold's.

If you're looking at fitness first or true fitness prices then IMO virgin active is your best bet for a few extra baht a year

That was my reasoning anyway

The benifit of using their gym clothes, deodorant, towels for no extra charge, having a nice pool and steam room and the free coffees sealed the deal for me

Being able to walk in straight from the BTS is nice as well

Oh and somehow I'm now able to go to all virgin gyms globally, which is convenient for trips home / to Europe

I'd be paying much more if I signed up at home

Maybe people should sign up over here while on their holidays and train back home for a fraction of the price

If you're looking at fitness first or true fitness prices then IMO virgin active is your best bet for a few extra baht a year

The benifit of using their gym clothes, deodorant, towels for no extra charge, having a nice pool and steam room and the free coffees sealed the deal for me

And how long have you worked for them?

They are a rip off in my opinion.

Over 2500 b a month plus sign up Admin fees.

Even the JW Marriott which is a great gym, is less than that.

I suggest everyone do their research before getting ripped off.

Well, again.... Do remember why lots of Thais go to gyms. There might be some level of perceived prestige in taking a selfie at Virgin to post on one's Facebook wall..... Might not look as cool if at at some old, run down place.

Hello,

I'll agree that gyms in Bangkok are expensive but in reality, you get what you paid for! I've been a member of True and WE Fitness, I just signed a new contract paying 1,250 a month, 3 years plus membership at WE Fitness! The drawback is you have to pay lump sum payment!

True Fitness is cheaper and has better machines and larger workout area than WE but machines are old and always breaks down, unsanitary condition and plays extremely loud music!

Therefore, if you want cheaper membership you have to pay lump sum payment than monthly or yearly!

Haha, I don't work for them obviously

I threw away the paper with all my quotes on it but WE fitness yearly package worked out at about £100 less (5000 baht) for the year, under £10 a month

That was the closest contender for though

Everything is new, it's close to me, not too busy in the day and the weights section is good

You need to pay for towel rental there if I remember which would make up the difference well within a year

They also wouldn't let me suspend my membership when I leave the country which virgin offer, although as I said I can use their gyms globally

The pool and huge jacuzzi, the big lobby area, providing clothes so I don't have to wash or even own 5 sets of gym clothes

It all adds up if you work out regularly

True fitness only had 1 squat rack and again the difference in price wasn't huge

Hello,

I'll agree that gyms in Bangkok are expensive but in reality, you get what you paid for! I've been a member of True and WE Fitness, I just signed a new contract paying 1,250 a month, 3 years plus membership at WE Fitness! The drawback is you have to pay lump sum payment!

True Fitness is cheaper and has better machines and larger workout area than WE but machines are old and always breaks down, unsanitary condition and plays extremely loud music!

Therefore, if you want cheaper membership you have to pay lump sum payment than monthly or yearly!

So you paid 40,000 b upfront?

Good luck I hope it works out.

I learned my lesson with that a long time ago in California. I paid upfront and 6 months later the place went out of business. They moved out in the middle of the night and no one got their money back.

Many Thais in Bangkok have plenty of money....Bt2500/month is nothing to them.

shhh, once the hoi polloi here realizes that it could damage their sense of entitlement.

it is comforting to be convinced that you are a cut above the locals and many here cling to that notion with everything they have.

Totally agree with OP - the gym prices here are out of order. It's not that I cannot afford the membership, but it pisses me off to pay so much for so little. Comparing to anywhere else in Europe such as the UK, you can get a luxury gym for 1000-1500 baht per month.

I am currently a member of WE-fitness and while its a decent gym, definitely not worth the 2000 baht per month that I paid (for a whole year upfront). Just decided to go with this one as it's so conveniently located to where I live.

There is one gym that is very nice in Ekkamai - It's called Banance health club and its around 1200-1500 baht per month. The equipment is a bit old but good, they have aircon and muay thai as well, plus a big swimming pool. And sauna + steam room I think. Dumbells up to 50kg and a couple of squat racks if I remember correctly.

Edited by SS1