Phuket officials confirm no troubled waters for bridge players

snoop1130

Phuket officials confirm no troubled waters for bridge players
Chutharat Plerin

post-249866-0-04188000-1456487002_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Phuket police have confirmed that playing bridge in Phuket is not illegal as long as there is no gambling involved.

The confirmation follows reports of police and military officers raiding a bridge club earlier this month in Pattaya, which led to the arrest of 32 foreigners, including an 84-year-old Dutch woman (story here).

“I was unaware of the arrests in Pattaya. However, we have no problem with bridge as long as there is no betting,” Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee confirmed to the Phuket Gazette.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-officials-confirm-troubled-waters-bridge-players/63260?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-26

Half the international and national media reported the incident in Pattaya,
So whilst people from Europe, America to South Africa, from Australia to
Japan read those news from Reuters, ABC, BBC to Alejazeera, the Nation,
Bangkok Post or what ever other news outlets, according to the Phuket Gazette,
Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee . . . .

post-155312-0-32453400-1456510448_thumb.

“was unaware of the arrests in Pattaya”

Edited by JoeLing

Earlier reports said that they all had to pay 5000 baht before they were released after questioning. I don't recall reading anything about them getting their money back.

"He revealed that ALL of the card players were arrested and eventually released from Pattaya Police Station at 03.00am after almost 12 hours in custody and paying 5,000 Baht Bail each. They will all appear in Court later on Thursday, even the 84 year old Dutch lady featured in one of our photographs from the scene."

Edited by Guitar God

attachicon.gifimages.png

I wonder how many of those were printed in Thai.

Have they made the deadbeat, overzealous cops and military in Pattaya and Chiang Mai aware of this? 130 detainees later.

This was perhaps one of the greatest blunders, in the history of one of the most blunderous PM's in recent Thai history. Either his guys are completely incompetent, they are simply flexing their muscles (because they can), or they are trying to rid the country of foreigners. Does anyone know which one of the three it is?

Thats nice of them. Did they notify Pattaya of this.whistling.gifcheesy.gif

Pattaya is in Thailand.

This is "The Democratic People's Republic of Phuket." smile.png

And Pattaya is The Beaurocratic BIB's Monopoly of Fantasy land.

Not so much the BiB more the local official who instructed the raid and won't back down and loose face.

Have they made the deadbeat, overzealous cops and military in Pattaya and Chiang Mai aware of this? 130 detainees later.

This was perhaps one of the greatest blunders, in the history of one of the most blunderous PM's in recent Thai history. Either his guys are completely incompetent, they are simply flexing their muscles (because they can), or they are trying to rid the country of foreigners. Does anyone know which one of the three it is?

If you read the reports of the incident you'd note it appears to be all the brainchild of one local provincial leader who won't back down now and loose face; which just adds to the farce.

But, hey, don't let the facts spoil you hyperbolic rhetoric.

If you read the reports of the incident you'd note it appears to be all the brainchild of one local provincial leader who won't back down now and loose face; which just adds to the farce.

Was he responsible for both the Pattaya and the Chiang Mai raids? If so, he must have alot if influence. Taking responsibility for a mistake is not a strong suit, of a Thai man. Nearly any Thai man. Not sure if this is really hyperbolic at all. It is a massive blunder. I cannot imagine a raid of this magnitude (50 SWAT type armed soldiers) could have been launched without approval at a pretty high level, so regardless of who this provincial clown is, it was approved by people in far greater positions of power than just one trouble making worm.

The buck stops at the top. Ask the last PM.

attachicon.gifimages.png

It was plastered all over the Thai news too.

http://news.sanook.com/1944350/

http://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/377794

http://www.tnamcot.com/content/397384

Seams to me, poor Deputy Commander only reads the

paper with the winning lottery numbers as that was probably

the only paper who didn't report on the story.

attachicon.gifimages.png

It was plastered all over the Thai news too.

http://news.sanook.com/1944350/

http://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/377794

http://www.tnamcot.com/content/397384

Seams to me, poor Deputy Commander only reads the

paper with the winning lottery numbers as that was probably

the only paper who didn't report on the story.

Not the case. One would have to be relatively certain he is lying through his teeth. It would be nearly impossible for him to NOT be aware of the incident in Pattaya. Almost impossible. For a man in his position to be unaware would be astonishing. He was aware. He is now lying about it, in order to deflect any criticism. Or perhaps another bone headed reason. Who can figure out these clowns?

But, at least he has the common sense to declare that the bridge club in Phuket will not have any problems. This sets a precedent, and makes it harder for the thugs in the military or police to launch another foolish, stupid, ill advised, juvenile, ridiculous raid of the sort that netted 132 completely innocent elders. The do not have anything better to do with their time. The 600 back logged cases in Pattaya will have to wait, until they determine how dangerous the 80 year old ex-pat bridge players are.

Edited by spidermike007

No problem, well, until they bring the signed confessions into court. One brave old women walks, and everyone else?

"You sign confession. Say you gamble. You have guilty. You pay fine, we commute 1 year sentence."

Good luck. It ain't over until it's over.

attachicon.gifimages.png

Absolutely the Stupidest Country I've ever lived in!!!!!

Cards are just slices of paper with symbols on them. Is there no reason "Bridge" could not be played on an iPads or linked game consoles such Playstation4 etc, without violating any laws?

I know this incident was blown out of any proportion but I don't think Thai society has to tolerate large groups of elderly Farangs in what appears to be a gambling den with hundreds of stacks of cards what are clearly illegal and unregistered.

Alternatively as a compromise they should be required to pay tax on and use only government issued cards. The police could come by weekly to ensure the validity od such arrangements.

Edited by arunsakda

Does anybody know the correct rules? The Police force seems disjointed and fragmented and lacking in standardisation when it comes to applying the law. No wonder the country has difficulty in moving forward.

And what has happened about the Pattaya bridge players? whistling.gif

I never was a fan of Simon and Garfunkel, but full marks to the Thai journalist for his play on words in the headline. thumbsup.gif

Never thought of that!!!!!!!!! Cute. Phuket tourism has been in very serious decline for two years now according to well placed connections. (I e friends with an apartment in the heart of Patong.) Perhaps he is angling for falang tourists of any type to fill the empty hotel rooms in this seaside resort town. ("Angling!!! Seaside... geddit???)

Cards are just slices of paper with symbols on them. Is there no reason "Bridge" could not be played on an iPads or linked game consoles such Playstation4 etc, without violating any laws?

I know this incident was blown out of any proportion but I don't think Thai society has to tolerate large groups of elderly Farangs in what appears to be a gambling den with hundreds of stacks of cards what are clearly illegal and unregistered.

Alternatively as a compromise they should be required to pay tax on and use only government issued cards. The police could come by weekly to ensure the validity od such arrangements.

The police could come by weekly to ensure the validity of such arrangements. And I am sure they would be delighted to do so.................................. For a small financial consideration for their time, I am sure. A nice little legal; earner at at time when such thing are so eagerly sought after.................................. 20 or 30 officers should be able to get all the cards checked and double checked in not too many hours, don't you think?? Is that what you envisage?

Edited by The Deerhunter

Thank you. Your post delivers on so many levels.

Edited by CharlieH
Sentence with Thai script removed.